Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No Rest For The Wicked looks extremely loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The fate of Battletech annoys the hell out of me because that game is screaming for a sequel that can attempt to fix some of the shortcomings. The game got a lot right, but really needed things like tonnage limits, keeping lighter mechs relevant in the late game, more toys, a more dynamic galaxy map, and a whole lot of performance work.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

The fate of Battletech annoys the hell out of me because that game is screaming for a sequel that can attempt to fix some of the shortcomings. The game got a lot right, but really needed things like tonnage limits, keeping lighter mechs relevant in the late game, more toys, a more dynamic galaxy map, and a whole lot of performance work.

:same:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What actually changed with Battletech since release? I powered through the slow-rear end animations to complete the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What I truly want is a Mechcommander remake.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I bounced off Battletech at release because the gameplay was gratingly slow but then came back maybe a year or so later with patches and speed up/QoL mods and had a blast. The big mods are also a lot of fun, but I think the basic vanilla game was good too when it wasn't so ponderous. I've enjoyed a number of Battletech games over the years, but I think Harebrained got the flavor and vibe of it better than anyone since the old Mechwarrior 2 games. Like MW5 isn't bad, but everything outside of the basic elements of the gameplay feels so limp and makes it much less interesting.

It is criminal Harebrained won't be able to do anything else. I would've bought more dlc and I want a sequel with clan poo poo, etc.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

A few pages back, but I was also recently wondering about this:

PlushCow posted:

Speaking of command and conquer when are we getting more remasters?? I want to get to Red Alert 2 already
https://www.gamingbible.com/news/platform/red-alert-2-remaster-on-the-horizon-396827-20231201

quote:

Petroglyph said, “We are all-in on this. Just need to get the green light from the publisher…” in response to players once again asking if a remaster will ever happen.
My friend and I played Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge almost every day after school for like two years straight, and we developed some evil strategies during that time.
I've been getting to urge to play it again, but unfortunately it's only available on EA in the Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection. Which, to be fair, also includes Tiberian Sun, so it's tempting.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Antigravitas posted:

Meanwhile, I'm ready to throw plenty of money to Harebrained for more Shadowrun, but it's not coming either. Not even sure they're even allowed to after their split from Paradox. :negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm very frustrated with paradox these days :(

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

S a m e.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Me too, but I'm not sure either of these situations were solely Paradox's fault. Unless they forced hairbraned to make Lamplighters league, the burden is shared.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

One of the biggest heel turns in gaming history

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The new Mudrunner game, Expeditions is good, especially if you liked the previous games. That said, it’s buggy as hell, may want to wait for some patching. But I’m having fun, warts and all.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2477340/Expeditions_A_MudRunner_Game/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dramicus posted:

Me too, but I'm not sure either of these situations were solely Paradox's fault. Unless they forced hairbraned to make Lamplighters league, the burden is shared.

Yeah I have mixed feelings on Paradox. Clearly they are not good caretakers of their studios but I don't blame them for things like not allowing Colossal Order to pull another "we just need another few months, we promise" on Cities: Skylines 2 after eight years of development.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

The new Mudrunner game, Expeditions is good, especially if you liked the previous games. That said, it’s buggy as hell, may want to wait for some patching. But I’m having fun, warts and all.

I really really really want that game, I loved Snowrunners (and I loved being angry at Snowrunners)

e: "Then why don't you buy it, strix?" because I'm going to be at least a little financially responsible this month!!!!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

StrixNebulosa posted:

It was kinda inevitable they'd become just another video game publisher when the company was sold

Victoria 3's been out for eighteen months and I still don't think I'd say it's where it should have been at release - its performance is still really bad.

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 4, 2024

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really really really want that game, I loved Snowrunners (and I loved being angry at Snowrunners)

There’s only two major worlds up and a smaller training world. But it’s more mudrunner and just as good. They’ve added a drone camera you can fly around and some story specific scientific items for doing “stuff”. But the core gameplay is intact and just as compelling.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I am also pretty down on Paradox nowadays given how they've treated their owned studios these last few years, specially Harebrained, also the "fix it until you break it" approach to their map games. EU4 is in a good place, but goddamn, does it need a mechanics flush.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's a thread over here for Expeditions, not a lot of chatter yet because it's only pre-release access right now but also it doesn't seem like it's getting a lot of press either. As someone who loved Snowrunner but hated hauling in Snowrunner this one seems to be exactly my type of poo poo. But I can already tell that "hardcore fans" of the series are going to hate this one because it's "dumbed down" or whatever.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

EU4 is in a good place, but goddamn, does it need a mechanics flush.

A graphically updated EUV where all they do is streamline and trim the billions of mechanics and systems they introduced for EUIV over the years could be incredible, but it's never going to happen. They will keep releasing DLC for EUIV until the dying, expanding sun engulfs our planet. The shareholders demand it. I assume it's a profitable model due to a handful of whales buying everything they put out.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah I have mixed feelings on Paradox. Clearly they are not good caretakers of their studios but I don't blame them for things like not allowing Colossal Order to pull another "we just need another few months, we promise" on Cities: Skylines 2 after eight years of development.

Exactly, Paradox is responsible for making the choice of releasing, staying in development for longer (than eight years), or cancelling. Colossal Order is responsible for the absolute shambles the game was/is still in. Same goes for Hairbrained, they chose to make Lamplighters and used their goodwill to get Paradox to greenlight the product, even though most people could have taken one glance at it and guessed it wouldn't have done well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Phlegmish posted:

A graphically updated EUV where all they do is streamline and trim the billions of mechanics and systems they introduced for EUIV over the years could be incredible, but it's never going to happen. They will keep releasing DLC for EUIV until the dying, expanding sun engulfs our planet. The shareholders demand it. I assume it's a profitable model due to a handful of whales buying everything they put out.

Eh just last week Tinto started teasing their next game which is almost surely EU5. It’ll be a bit yet, though. And yes it needs the CK3 treatment of cutting a lot of bad stuff, improving the best systems and adding others back over time that are made much better.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
As somebody who is rapidly becoming a big Millennia fanboy, I'm honestly grateful that Paradox seems to have mostly left C Prompt Games to their own devices, which is a weird thing to say about a publisher. They're supposed to be your hype guys! But instead C Prompt seems to mostly just be using Paradox infrastructure to release weekly dev diaries to an audience of questionable interest (because they've mostly given up on Paradox Publishing offerings due to all of the other disasters that have happened recently).

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Dramicus posted:

They did lamplighters because they were told they weren't allowed to make battletech

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Anno posted:

Eh just last week Tinto started teasing their next game which is almost surely EU5. It’ll be a bit yet, though. And yes it needs the CK3 treatment of cutting a lot of bad stuff, improving the best systems and adding others back over time that are made much better.

Huh. You know, that could be good. I just worry that it will follow exactly the same trajectory EUIV did, where it's an enjoyable, if somewhat buggy and unbalanced game at release, before eventually turning into another bloated mess due to their live service model.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Jarvisi posted:

They did lamplighters because they were told they weren't allowed to make battletech

No, they did a non-battletech game because they weren't allowed. They chose to make Lamplighters.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
What exactly has been happening with Paradox? I never had a Paradox game really consume my life and spare time, but they've been failing to catch so often lately that I just naturally gravitated away from them

I think that Rome game was the one that made me go "eh, perhaps I should stop paying attention"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dramicus posted:

No, they did a non-battletech game because they weren't allowed. They chose to make Lamplighters.

There is nothing inherently wrong with Lamplighters on paper. It's XCOM meets Pulp Call of Cthulhu, which is a perfectly fine mix of genres. I was cautiously optimistic about it before it came out and the reviews said it was released in a severely undercooked state.

I suspect it'll turn out a lot of the blame lies on Paradox loving them and forcing them to release before it was really done.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

wizard2 posted:

What exactly has been happening with Paradox?

Their shares started being publicly traded and they went from plucky little underdogs who made flawed but unique games, to the worst of the worst when it comes to milking customers for all they're worth

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Megazver posted:

There is nothing inherently wrong with Lamplighters on paper. It's XCOM meets Pulp Call of Cthulhu, which is a perfectly fine mix of genres. I was cautiously optimistic about it before it came out and the reviews said it was released in a severely undercooked state.
I actually watched streams and played two hours before refunding, and it had no chance.

Pixar characters and Marvel quips combined with a complexity dive compared to Battle Tech. You cannot expect your audience to buy this, you'd have to deliver DE level writing. And they didn't.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Phlegmish posted:

Their shares started being publicly traded and they went from plucky little underdogs who made flawed but unique games, to the worst of the worst when it comes to milking consumers for all they're worth

that'll do it, yeah

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

I suspect it'll turn out a lot of the blame lies on Paradox loving them and forcing them to release before it was really done.

The problem is they were making scuffed XCOM in a pretty saturated genre where most people are still playing XCOM1&2. At least battletech had the whole universe and mech system to differentiate it from XCOM. Lamplighters never had a shot at being successful, even if it had released in a perfect state.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dramicus posted:

The problem is they were making scuffed XCOM in a pretty saturated genre where most people are still playing XCOM1&2. At least battletech had the whole universe and mech system to differentiate it from XCOM. Lamplighters never had a shot at being successful, even if it had released in a perfect state.

I mean, there's a lot of XCOMlikes and a lot of them did alright. WH Mechanicus, WH Daemonhunters, Gears Tactics, Troubleshooter, Hard West 1&2, Othercide, Phantom Doctrine, JA3, etc, none of these killed their studio AFAIK.

It's a busy genre, but most genres are busy. I don't think LL being an xcomlike was inherently a positive or a negative here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

As a terminal game-hopper I would've loved it if Lamplighter had been good. Snap that up, enjoy it, move onto the next XCOMlike. I love exploring new ones.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

FishMcCool posted:

Meanwhile, I'm ready to throw plenty of money to Harebrained for more Shadowrun, but it's not coming either. Not even sure they're even allowed to after their split from Paradox. :negative:

I want both. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are great. The setting has so much potential, so many stories they could tell. They had the framework for a few more games without radical tech changes. I would be perfectly happy with iterative changes and just more Shadowrun. Just give me the Shadowrun, goddammit.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

wizard2 posted:

What exactly has been happening with Paradox? I never had a Paradox game really consume my life and spare time, but they've been failing to catch so often lately that I just naturally gravitated away from them

I think that Rome game was the one that made me go "eh, perhaps I should stop paying attention"

I think they’ve proven to be a pretty spotty publisher of other people’s games. Their Arc division is pretty interesting at least.

Their internally developed games are better than ever imo

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Antigravitas posted:

I want both. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are great. The setting has so much potential, so many stories they could tell. They had the framework for a few more games without radical tech changes. I would be perfectly happy with iterative changes and just more Shadowrun. Just give me the Shadowrun, goddammit.

I'd be 100% be down for it. They fill that niche of well written RPG with competent tactical combat with reasonable game length that's honestly underserved as far as I can tell. Most RPGs with decent production values and good writing tend to be 70+ hour adventures and I find that honestly kind of tiresome.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

No Rest For The Wicked looks extremely loving cool.

I know there can be no ethical consumption in this system of ours, but this is from the Ori devs. A studio deemed so toxic/mysoginistic/homophobic that microsoft severed all ties with them

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's kind of shocking just how good AoW4 turned out given it's a Paradox-published title, really lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Dackel posted:

I know there can be no ethical consumption in this system of ours, but this is from the Ori devs. A studio deemed so toxic/mysoginistic/homophobic that microsoft severed all ties with them

lol what, the guys who made games so saccarine sweet that the tooth fairy blushed, those guys? Got a link?