Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cloacamazing! posted:

No actually, if your friend's girlfriend comes up to you and says that you have to dance with her because she's dating your friend or she'll leave your party and take all of her friends with her, you're perfectly justified to say "lolnope".

The stepmother wanted the dance because she felt entitled to it based on her having married the guy's father. The dance with his grandmother meant something to him, and she decided she needed in on that. Her children "noticed she was hurting" and decided not to go. In short

Except, as far as we know, she did not threaten to leave unless the OP's son danced with her? She asked for a dance. She left early, without making her presence conditional on dancing with the OP's son. Her children decided on their own to not go to the wedding. I think it's a pretty natural reaction to not want to be at a place when the host tells you they do not want to be around you.

I'm not saying anyone did a particularly good job raising the OP's son. I'm just saying it's pretty weird how upset the son and the DIL were with the OP for leaving early. If they hate this woman so much, as they evidently do, then don't invite her, and don't be surprised that her husband doesn't come either. Or if you're gonna invite her, you can dance with her. Or don't and make up excuse about why you can't. The whole "I'm going to tell about how much I hate the woman you love, but you have to pretend that this does not upset you" thing is just bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
It's not like she just wanted to dance with him while everyone else is dancing and having fun, she probably wanted the whole spectacle of an official mother-son dance with everyone standing around politely watching. Guessing she was a lot pushier about replacing his mom than op wants to admit to.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Jabor posted:

People will in fact judge you for your actions, like peacing out of your daughter's dance recital because you're bored, or your son's wedding because your spouse is bored, and it's actually totally reasonable for them to do so.

This just sounds like :decorum:

Old mate probably should have kept his son's distaste for his partner to himself and encouraged his wife just to let it go but kids pathologically not liking their previous parent being replaced at all is very common. Disappointing as that may be to old mate, it is likely to never change.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I had the opposite happen, one time I was walking with my wife in a park and saw a coworker and then immediately held my wife's hand and later my wife was like "What was the deal with that, is she into you?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

How to end your relationship with a single gesture:

Boyfriend (24M) dropped my hand (27F) when we ran into his ex. WIBTA for breaking up with him over that?

NTA. OP deserves better than being someone's "placeholder" who would be dropped in a hot second if the ex fluttered her eyes at him.
I think breaking up because he dropped her hand specifically is kind of dumb as phrased in the title here, but if from the interaction she generally got the impression that he was trying to appear available to his ex then I guess sure

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I had the opposite happen, one time I was walking with my wife in a park and saw a coworker and then immediately held my wife's hand and later my wife was like "What was the deal with that, is she into you?"

Well? Was she?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Shanghaied posted:

Except, as far as we know, she did not threaten to leave unless the OP's son danced with her? She asked for a dance. She left early, without making her presence conditional on dancing with the OP's son. Her children decided on their own to not go to the wedding. I think it's a pretty natural reaction to not want to be at a place when the host tells you they do not want to be around you.

I'm not saying anyone did a particularly good job raising the OP's son. I'm just saying it's pretty weird how upset the son and the DIL were with the OP for leaving early. If they hate this woman so much, as they evidently do, then don't invite her, and don't be surprised that her husband doesn't come either. Or if you're gonna invite her, you can dance with her. Or don't and make up excuse about why you can't. The whole "I'm going to tell about how much I hate the woman you love, but you have to pretend that this does not upset you" thing is just bizarre.

This happened in the OP's own story after several attempts of making the son reconsider his initial answer of just a simple "No". If that had been his first reaction, it would definitely have been too much, but according to OP, his wife asked (fine), the son said no (fine), and then he was asked again (not fine).

Same for the step siblings. They decided on their own not to attend after being told that their mother was hurt, but not given any details. Translation: They were influenced by the stepmother and told a version where she's entirely blameless.

Finally, stepmother attends the wedding, where she feels horribly unwelcome and all, and doesn't realize this until exactly the point of the contested dance. Then, and only then, she realizes that she is unwelcome and leaves, taking OP with her, instead of just not attending at all. That's not the act of someone hurt, that's someone who wanted to make sure everybody knew she was hurt.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Stepmother also suggested that he dance with her and the grandmother at the same time. Like how the gently caress would that even work?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Stepmother also suggested that he dance with her and the grandmother at the same time. Like how the gently caress would that even work?

"It Ain't Incest If It's A Three Way" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Devil's Tango

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I think that might be an inaccurate parsing of the phrase of “with both”.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If that's how she meant "with both" then her original suggestion would have been that he dance with her instead of the grandmother.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

If that's how she meant "with both" then her original suggestion would have been that he dance with her instead of the grandmother.

No?

She could have misunderstood it as him saying he’s only having one [maternal figure] dance and tried to ask why he couldn’t do both.

I’m not defending her, after the first ask she should’ve left it alone.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I think she asked if he could have one dance with her in addition to one with his grandmother and then asked if there was a reason he couldn't dance with both of them when he said no, but also I think that in the interest of fairness he should just do a conga with every guest.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
AITA for kicking my brother out of my birthday party but allowing his girlfriend to stay?

quote:

I (15F) have always had a tight bond with my older brother, (24M). He raised me, as we were both in the same foster system before adoption. Anyways, My brother has been dating his now-fiancée (22F) for 3 years now. My whole family loves her and she is the perfect person for him. So, a couple days ago was my quinceañera. My sweet fifteen. Everything had been planned for about a year. The dress, the gigantic venue, (my mom decided to invite so many more people that I really wanted), the cake, everything. It was my special day and I was truly excited. Then my brother comes along. Halfway through my party, out of basically nowhere, He made the DJ play his girlfriend’s favourite slow song, and popped the question to her right there and then. Everyone was in shock, especially his girlfriend. She said yes, but i saw her run off to the bathrooms immediately after, not looking the happiest. I knew for a fact that she had stated to him multiple times that she wanted him to propose to her on their own time, since she’s generally really anxious around large groups of people, and all that attention being on her was upsetting. I went up to him after, pissed off about why he decided to propose to her at MY birthday, when for once, the day was about me, not him. He replied that it was ‘too much work’ to get the family all together himself, so he thought this was a good time. I reminded him that he and his girlfriend had a pre-planned trip to Mexico in two weeks, and asked him why he couldn’t just do it then on their own time. He replied that our aunt had made him feel bad for not considering proposing in front of family just because his girlfriend preferred to have that intimacy in private. So, he took her word, did not tell me or my mom, and decided to just do this. If he had told me in advance, I probably would have been okay with it, (I was kind of used to sharing the spotlight with him anyways) and that he knew this would put all of the attention on him, on my special day. And, he had previously stated to me that he did not want me playing a role in his wedding, as I was “too old for a flower girl and too young for a bridesmaid.” So, if he didn’t want me to play a part in his wedding, why did he now play a part at my birthday? I got upset and went to the bathrooms to check on his fiancée. She was crying when I got there, and we talked out our anger and anxiety for a while. She wanted something private, I wanted to finally have my own celebration. He hurt both of us, so the two of us + my mom kicked him out, and he looked extremely hurt and cried and started apologizing. We still kicked him out, and he was offended that his fiancée could stay but he couldn’t. I never wanted to be the reason he cried, so I cried after, feeling upset and stuck between feelings. So, I wanted to know opinions on how this was handled and AITA?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mystes
May 31, 2006

DreamingofRoses posted:

AITA for kicking my brother out of my birthday party but allowing his girlfriend to stay?
How dumb do you have to be to propose to someone in front of a huge group of people when they've specifically told you not to

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

mystes posted:

How dumb do you have to be to propose to someone in front of a huge group of people when they've specifically told you not to

At least as dumb as that guy.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
WIBTA for demanding my husband to sleep less

quote:

I (21F) and my husband (25M) welcomed a beautiful baby boy just four weeks ago. I have absolutely loved being a mother, but I haven’t enjoyed the lack of sleep from it. I know it’s expected to have a lack of sleep with a newborn but it seems like I’m the only one with any lack of sleep. For context, my husband works third shift before having our son he slept two hours in the morning once his shift ended and five in the evening before his next shift began. This used to be sufficient enough and now it isn’t. I’m hard pressed to get a nap during the day for even an hour, and our baby is cluster feeding during the night so I maybe get three to four hours tops. I’m a SAHM and I’m so grateful to be able to do so but I’m not functioning at full capacity anymore. I do everything for our son; I feed him, bathe him, change almost every diaper just for my husband to hold him for five minutes max while I can at least shower. I have tried to discuss my concerns with my husband many times but it’s brushed off by him saying “you’re mama so that’s what you’re supposed to do” and maybe he is right. Just this weekend I did full baby duty while my husband got nine hours of sleep each night he was home while he even woke up at six in the morning to go fishing even though I told him I barely slept any that night. My question is, would I be the rear end in a top hat to demand him to sleep less? He is the provider for our family and I do want him rested but I am struggling.

ETA: My husband works third shift which means he works from 11:30pm until 7:30am Sunday-Thursday and he always opts to work a Friday if his work will allow. His job is not a very labor demanding environment and often times he does not even have technical work to

Bonus comment:

quote:

I am a first time parent, my husband is not. I do struggle with PPA and PPD so getting down the concept of “sleep when baby sleeps” has been quite difficult.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Clocks posted:

What I don't get about the "on a break" homegirl is like... ok, she could have just not given him a heads up she was about to mega-cheat on him, and went around europe for six weeks having a grand old time. But part of her plan seemed to have been the blocking his rear end that whole time? I guess so he couldn't argue with her and she could present him with some bullshit justifications when she came back? But If I was in a relationship where I was ready to marry someone and they flat out said "hey we're just not gonna talk for the next 1.5 months" then I would also take that as a break-up cue.

MagusofStars posted:

I assume the thought process was that she could go on a break, have all the wild European sex she wanted, come back spouting some bullshit about how she did some self-reflection and knows what she wants now, then he'd be so happy about reconciling that he'd just fling himself back in her arms...and of course since they were on a break (#RossAndRachel), he couldn't get mad about the wild European sex when they were on a break so it wouldn't cause any problems.
I don't think it was about coming up with One Weird Trick to get away with cheating on this particular vacation. It was a test. If she can get away with this, she knows that she can always do whatever she wants and gaslight him afterwards. That's why her brain seized up when he called the whole thing out as inappropriate instead of getting dragged down into an argument about what did or didn't happen in Europe.

Like Pete, OP foresaw this and didn't hesitate to do the right thing. She just thought she had enough leverage to get away with this and wildly overplayed her hand.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

DreamingofRoses posted:

Bonus comment:

Lmao he left his wife and newborn to go fishing, I wonder what happened to his first marriage

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DreamingofRoses posted:

Bonus comment:

That's weird, I wonder why her husband's previous children and their mother are not in the picture anymore. I assume a tragic accident was involved, something that was nobody's fault in particular.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for telling my wife that she would be infinitely more useful cooking and cleaning than chasing her dream?

quote:

I’m 39 and male. My wife is 36. We have two sons, 5 and 3.

Two years ago, my wife approached me one day and told me that she was interested in making some money off of Instagram. I thought it was a fine idea, as she was home during the day and couldn’t work because our younger son was still too small. We’re fortunate that I make enough money to support our lifestyle comfortably, and I encouraged her to go for it.

Unfortunately in the past two years as a hopeful Instagram influencer, she has not made a single cent. Her earlier attempts at gaining followers were for post-partum fitness, and since she knows nothing about fitness, that went nowhere. She tried to make exercise guides where she would do these bizarre mobility movements, and these would only get a few views. She moved on to doing makeup tutorials, which similarly fell flat, likely because there are a billion such channels out there. Then she jumped onto this slice of life train, where she would make videos talking about her day, but to be frank they all were pretty boring, and she failed to attract any attention.

The issue isn’t that she’s trying. The issue is that she spends the overwhelming majority of her waking hours on Instagram and skirts her household responsibilities. I wake up at 5am, go for a run, come home, make breakfast for everyone, then make lunch for our older child and myself, and take him to kindergarten. I go to work until about 5pm, get home around 5:30, make dinner for everyone, wash most of the dishes, tidy up a bit, bathe our sons, play with them, and go to bed.

She wakes up at 7:45, usually later because she was up late on Instagram, lies down on the sofa as I do everything, and while I’m at work she works on her Instagram more. Any attempt to get her to do something is met with complaining.

The other day I finally got fed up with her because I walked in the door to a complete disaster zone of things strewn everywhere, the laundry not done, and a sink full of dirty dishes. I asked what she had done all day, to which she responded she was “busy.” I snapped at her and told her that her Instagram is going nowhere and that I’ve put up with it for two years longer than I should have, and that she would be infinitely more useful cooking and cleaning.

She got this horrified look on her face and walked away. She went into the bedroom (naturally looking at her phone) and left me to deal with everything that night.

AITA for how I reacted to her?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

If she finally blows up on Insta as a divorce influencer he’ll have made the right choice

mystes
May 31, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for telling my wife that she would be infinitely more useful cooking and cleaning than chasing her dream?
Well he certainly picked the absolute worst possible way by far to ask her to split the household chores with him more evenly

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

mystes posted:

Well he certainly picked the absolute worst possible way by far to ask her to split the household chores with him more evenly

My thoughts too, on one hand she's not being productive around the house, on the other he literally told a woman to get in the kitchen.

Everyone sucks. Even if they can afford the lounging about.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Instagram reverted that lady's mind back 20 good years. She is now a highschooler stressing over social media.
What a clown.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Ensign Expendable posted:

Lmao he left his wife and newborn to go fishing, I wonder what happened to his first marriage

“Alright, let me take a look at my hat here and see how I’m doing. ‘Women want me’? Check that off, got it covered. ‘Fish fear me’? Hmm, I think we have a bit of work to do on that front.”

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Jabor posted:

People will in fact judge you for your actions, like peacing out of your daughter's dance recital because you're bored, or your son's wedding because your spouse is bored, and it's actually totally reasonable for them to do so.

*walking out of my kid's fourth grade play*

Yeah, and can you believe the poo poo they pass off as writing!?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

mystes posted:

he's like the genderbend versions of all those single moms tho (ie a single dad with a third dependent)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Grey Cat posted:

My thoughts too, on one hand she's not being productive around the house, on the other he literally told a woman to get in the kitchen.

Everyone sucks. Even if they can afford the lounging about.

If we reverse the genders here, and make the guy a loser who is trying to break into "twitch streaming" no one would give that girl poo poo for calling him a waste of space and to get a real job.

I'm just saying that the guy here does everything while his wife pretends to be Barbie on her phone all day. He definitely could have gone about it much better, but 2 years of not making 1 cent and you don't even help around the house? :therapy: or :sever: for Pete's sake.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

Like Pete, OP foresaw this and didn't hesitate to do the right thing. She just thought she had enough leverage to get away with this and wildly overplayed her hand.
She thought he was a doormat and was blindsided to discover he possessed the Spirit Of Pete, a truly impressive total misreading of someone she had be dating for years.

The OP comes across (in the story and in his comments) as quite chill and laid back and get-along-to-go-along, and I wonder if the now-ex took that as a sign that he was a pushover, especially when he consented to her spending six weeks bouncing around Europe with her single girlfriends.

Speaking of that story, there are a couple of updates from OP:

quote:

She is leaving letters for me with people she knows I will interact with. Like the security guy at my building. With my receptionist at work.

The letters themselves are little more than pleading with me to not throw us away for nothing. And professing her love for me.
OP is also treating himself to some travel to clear his mind and to avoid his increasingly-stalkerish ex.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Literally A Person posted:

*walking out of my kid's fourth grade play*

Yeah, and can you believe the poo poo they pass off as writing!?

Lol I didn't walk out but I went to a performance of the little mermaid my kid was in, I was clapping politely but the audience was doing big ovations any time Ariel sang a line loudly and the whole time I was thinking "Eh I've seen better fourth grade singers than this"

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

"I am a normal person." Does she think all crazy people knew they were crazy before you know... losing it. Hell, lots of people with mental illness still aren't aware they have a mental illness.

I really feel for this woman if something is starting to manifest. She is facing a potential lifetime of hell.

idk I've always definitely known I wasn't "normal"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I was repeatedly told, from a very young age, that I was "absolutely normal" - or, as they shortened it, "ab-normal".

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

GF gave me a list of things she expects from me being her BF

quote:

We’ve been seeing each other for a while now and it’s time to make our relationship official. We are in our 20s. But my gf told me she doesn’t settle for less due to the men in her family failing the women

Her requirements in a BF (copied+pasted from iMessage that she sent me):

•open my car (yes even if I am driving, open the drivers and the passenger door for me)

•(this is common sense but nowadays you got to remind men to be men) always pay for our restaurant dates it’s embarrassing to make your girl pay

•I will not cook or clean for you. I am not your mom or your maid. I will not do any wifey duties at gf prices. I am not like these other girls playing house with their boyfriends and baby daddies. I will not leave the security of my home to play house with you. I am not living with a guy that I’m only dating. I’m making this very clear since everyone does everything in a backwards order nowadays and I don’t move backwards

•I don’t waste my time, I have goals to be a wife and a mother, I have a biological clock. I give at minimum 8 months if you can figure out I’m the person you want to spend the rest of my life with and if you can’t figure that out by then respectfully exit our relationship before the 8 month mark

•no other women can be in your life unless if it’s family and maybe will make a rare exception. I don’t mess with cheaters and I’m not going to play clueless and stay wondering. Women and men can’t be friends (will make exceptions if it’s a childhood friend from your home state and you guys barley talk and just have once and a while messages like happy birthday msssages and it will help if she’s unattractive)

•I’m not going to have sex with you if I don’t feel like it. You already know that you are required to wear a condom this is not going to change until we are married. I’m also on birth control but that doesn’t mean you get to “put out” on me with your raw dick. I don’t believe in abortions and I’m protecting myself. I’m not going to let someone stick their bare dick inside me when I’m not married

This is her main requirements she expects from her S/O. I don’t really have much trouble with this list. Most of this is going to take time for me to get use to like opening someone’s door I never do that. I can pay for dates I haven’t never not paid for a date before. I do have only have one friend of the opposite gender back in my home state but I don’t think my GF would be threatened by her because it falls under her rare exceptions. I guess I have an issue of her being demanding and just very straight forward is kind of a turn off and it kind of sucks I have to keep wearing a condom

Really feels like the list is dialog from a bad movie. How can anyone think, "We seem to be in a good place with this and are going to keep things moving, let me just lay down the law like this"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Hughlander posted:

GF gave me a list of things she expects from me being her BF

Really feels like the list is dialog from a bad movie. How can anyone think, "We seem to be in a good place with this and are going to keep things moving, let me just lay down the law like this"

That's a fantastic list. Present it at the first date so I know you're a complete waste of time.

It's like a confederate flag on something. I actually like seeing them as they give me up-front information to know that they are a garbage human being.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Always down for some good barley talk with an old friend

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh you'll like my old friend, she's ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the requirement there that wigs me out the most is “I won’t live with you until we’re married.” What the gently caress? So you won’t find out if you can tolerate living in the same house until you’ve signed a legal contract?