Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

jokes posted:

yall are thinking about this way too much, the SCOTUS was never going to allow states to unilaterally decide that trump did an insurrection making him constitutionally ineligible to hold office

the SCOTUS would only ever allow states to unilaterally say that they think he's handsome

yeah but "let congress decide" is also a lovely idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

congress riding the minibus towards a budget deal

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Philthy posted:

No, I would expect them to back up what they were saying. They said their job is to defend the constitution, so if the President tried to make them break that oath, they would resign. What I would have expected them to say is that they would continue defending their oath, including ignoring any Presidential orders that break that. Meaning they would never step down for a rogue leader.

if trump actually had power over that mob he would have sent them to the SCOTUS next to kill most of them too after killing most of the congress, but i guess nobody gives a poo poo about things anymore and if there's one thing american institutions apparently like to do, it's invite foxes into the hen house

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
still blows my mind that we have concrete evidence that SCOTUS justices are being bribed by nazi billionaires and there's nothing to be done about it. and also the wife of one of them is a primary architect of J6th.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i hate them, but i dont think they do. i think they want this over and trump isnt gonna help them and rulling in his favor doesnt help them.

Sorry, I think our discussion was lost in translation. I think the SC will rule against Trump's immunity but give him what he really needs- those sweet, sweet delays.

It appears from a few reads of your post that you also think they will rule against him.

My position is that they're assholes, but they play 4D chess just fine and in this case, dragging their heels benefits him in a way that's less direct.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I bet the party of "STATE'S RIGHTS!!!!!" is very upset by this ruling.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

jokes posted:

if trump actually had power over that mob he would have sent them to the SCOTUS next to kill most of them too after killing most of the congress, but i guess nobody gives a poo poo about things anymore and if there's one thing american institutions apparently like to do, it's invite foxes into the hen house

Are you completely forgetting that December 2020 saw MULTIPLE Trump events in DC, including a Jericho March around the Supreme Court building? The chuds were absolutely hoping they could break all the institutions of the country through whatever means possible well before J6. It's one of the reasons the FBI and Capitol Police not assuming something would happen seems insane.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Scags McDouglas posted:

Sorry, I think our discussion was lost in translation. I think the SC will rule against Trump's immunity but give him what he really needs- those sweet, sweet delays.

It appears from a few reads of your post that you also think they will rule against him.

My position is that they're assholes, but they play 4D chess just fine and in this case, dragging their heels benefits him in a way that's less direct.

yeah they will rule against trump. while i think they will "delay" i think it will be released in june or so.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Someone please put this SCOTUS decision in the most simplistic words for my dumb rear end.

Is it good or bad???

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

loving Moron posted:

Someone please put this SCOTUS decision in the most simplistic words for my dumb rear end.

Is it good or bad???

basicaly states can't just decide to make qualifications to toss canidates, only congress can do that.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

loving Moron posted:

Is it good or bad???

Everyone agrees that Colorado can’t kick Trump off the ballot.

5 of 6 conservatives say that it’s up to Congress, which is actually kind of bad.

Not sure who the hold out conservative is, I assume Roberts.

Galginaitis
Oct 25, 2006

Diagnosis: Inflammation of the Galgin

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Everyone agrees that Colorado can’t kick Trump off the ballot.

5 of 6 conservatives say that it’s up to Congress, which is actually kind of bad.

Not sure who the hold out conservative is, I assume Roberts.

Barrett

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:what:

:lol:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Warbird posted:

It's the right decision though I hate it. If you say it's all cool and good then any state with a Republican majority is going to just make it impossible to even vote for anyone they don't want. Look at NC where Cotham ratfucked the state into a Republican supermajority, they can do whatever they drat please and already doing as much.

The take-away for me is that the narrative remains in place:

TRump committed insurrection; his behaviour was so egregious that at least three state courts opted to remove him from the ballot.

This should be hammered home for the rest of the year.

He may lose because he'll be convicted of a felony.
He may lose because he's clearly broke, and will bleed the RNC white, and their weak messaging will be even weaker
He may die or be severely disabled..

The only thing that we can rely on is our vote. The courts won't save us but they are helping to set the narrative.

Keep your foot on his neck and vote until he is irrelevant.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
So what's the actual process for removing someone from the ballot at this point? Can Congress lay out a set of rules for determining whether a person is removed or do they need individual acts specifically naming the person in question? If it's the former, could the sitting President veto the bill? If it's the later, wouldn't it count as a bill of attainder? It kinda feels like SCOTUS is just saying that impeachment is required to bar someone from the ballot, which sort of makes that whole part of the 14th moot, or at least not apply to the President.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

kazil posted:

"Sorry guys, but 25 of the 50 states agreed that Jefferson Davis can't be kicked off the ballot, and you have to let him have a shot at being president post this whole 'Civil War' thing. Even if he does order the executive branch to cease enforcement of any statutes granted by the 13th or 14th Amendment, there's nothing you can do besides just vote!"

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Guys I don't think I like this Donald Trump fellow.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
to be fair, things were a shitshow after the Civil War too and the Confederates also effectively managed to make it less about the traitor poo poo and even get the govt to make them monuments so

this is all par for the course with how America doesn't want to acknowledge its own rot and only wants to carry on

we did keep some British traditions around, apparently

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

PainterofCrap posted:

TRump committed insurrection; his behaviour was so egregious that at least three state courts opted to remove him from the ballot.

He may lose because he's clearly broke, and will bleed the RNC white, and their weak messaging will be even weaker

The only thing that we can rely on is our vote. The courts won't save us but they are helping to set the narrative.

dont tell me what to do

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Thank you.

And thanks to the other replies above.

I love you guys.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lord Harbor posted:

So what's the actual process for removing someone from the ballot at this point? Can Congress lay out a set of rules for determining whether a person is removed or do they need individual acts specifically naming the person in question? If it's the former, could the sitting President veto the bill? If it's the later, wouldn't it count as a bill of attainder? It kinda feels like SCOTUS is just saying that impeachment is required to bar someone from the ballot, which sort of makes that whole part of the 14th moot, or at least not apply to the President.

basically, if a president trips and falls into an insurrection only congress can do the things necessary to remove him from the ballot in states

yes this means congress can effectively protect/ruin any president by saying they committed an insurrection but they can't even decide on who the speaker should be so lol on this one

no this doesn't establish parliamentary procedure in any way, so bad faith republicans will probably make it be simple majority when they hold the congress and 2/3 majority when they don't lol

yes this is bad for biden lol

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

He's a real wasteman

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

StrangersInTheNight posted:

this is all par for the course with how America doesn't want to acknowledge its own rot and only wants to carry on

I'd argue that a chunk of America doesn't want to acknowledge the rot, but also that a not-insignificant portion of it wants that rot to take over. It's just a shame that all the media folks are pro-rot and fill peoples' heads with it 24/7.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Harbor posted:

This was my read on it, if congress actually did this it would be immediately challenged as an unconstitutional bill of attainder. Which would probably be upheld if it were keeping a republican off the ballot and found to not technically be a bill of attainder if it was a democrat.

They’re basically saying that exercising this requires a power that congress doesn’t seem to have?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
god this thread really sucks lately

stop doomering endlessly over early lovely polls, literally anything television media cares about, and obvious supreme court rulings

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

funeral home DJ posted:

I'd argue that a chunk of America doesn't want to acknowledge the rot, but also that a not-insignificant portion of it wants that rot to take over. It's just a shame that all the media folks are pro-rot and fill peoples' heads with it 24/7.

put America in a med-bed

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It's Trump vs Biden round 2 nothing will change that not even jailing the wet man. Biden already won this last time, he'll win again. He hasn't even started his campaign.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jelly posted:

stop doomering endlessly over early lovely polls, literally anything television media cares about, and obvious supreme court rulings

:agreed:

I understand the spirit of the doomerism, I do, but at a certain point you just gotta hold firm and hope regardless of how miserable it is.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

kazil posted:

Oh it absolutely is, especially because the last few years have taught us that if you put in enough petty motherfuckers, Congress can barely even function

Just lol at the fact that there is no way the founders of this country ever dreamed of any of this going down

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I think Biden wins, but "he hasn't started campaigning" is such a weird argument. He's the sitting president. Everything he does is his campaign.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

emSparkly posted:

Jesus Christ. Yeah I can’t even imagine how kids dealt with all that poo poo. I feel so cut off from them.

My son voted in the Primary for the first time this year. The night after the election in 2016, I was getting the then-10-year-old into bed, and he looked at me and told me he hoped they didn't take away my right to vote. He was aware, and he'd definitely been listening to the conversations around the election. And, I'd say it was a definite turning point for him. He's always been interested in history/alternate history, enough so that we had to forbid discussing certain historical events in public. I was worried that he'd fall to the Conservative elements in that fandom since he is a young, white male. Prime pickings for them.

I don't worry about that anymore. The kid is further to the Left than me in some areas, and one of the places we're likely to visit soon on a weekend on his request is the Eugene V Debs Museum. My 13 year old nephew is pretty much the same way. They grew up tired of this crap. LOL

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Anything in the proposed budget about student loans?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MechaX posted:

Oh it absolutely is, especially because the last few years have taught us that if you put in enough petty motherfuckers, Congress can barely even function

Just lol at the fact that there is no way the founders of this country ever dreamed of any of this going down

Like, I don't buy that they didn't have shitfuckers like Trump back in the 1700s. They are not a jet age invention

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Like, I don't buy that they didn't have shitfuckers like Trump back in the 1700s. They are not a jet age invention

Reality television host and pro wrestler was not very common in the 18th century.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Jelly posted:

I'll give you the first two but you can pry my bullshit about the SC from my cold, dead hands

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

In the 1700s you would just shoot them in a duel.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I've about decided not to vote for him

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!

VanOwen posted:

If English was good enough for Jesus its good enough for America!

:freep:

reminds me when Netenyahu said "Jesus spoke Hebrew" and was immediately corrected by the other person "Jesus spoke Aramaic though".

good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007