Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
An update on the age rating kerfuffle: It only affects the Switch in non-US regions.

https://twitter.com/PlaystackGames/status/1764647449916821922

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Help, I'm having a problem with my game: I beat my first run and I can't stop thinking about it. I beat my second run and it's only worse now. All I want to do is play this drat game!!

No but seriously, one small issue: if I try to use the Windows+G command to start a screen record, it will start recording my game for like 1 second until I interact with the game and then it turns itself off. I could use Camtasia if I really cared but I was curious why Balatro would reject the built-in windows recorder but, like, Elden Ring doesn't. Anyone else experience this?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It's because the Windows/Xbox Game Bar is a piece of poo poo

Shadowplay works fine though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
game, come on

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hell Yeah posted:

get the joker the makes all cards treated as face cards. then i get the +4 mult on facecards! yes! and the 1 in 2 chance to win a few dollars off a face card! yes! but then... the boss that makes all face cards drawn face down. the balatro devs owned me so hard. i'm pretty sure they were watching my screen and laughing. the bastards

Since you can still sort your cards by rank, I’ve just bulldozed through that situation a couple times by picking all my highest rank cards and hoping for something good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

An update on the age rating kerfuffle: It only affects the Switch in non-US regions.

https://twitter.com/PlaystackGames/status/1764647449916821922

we NEED the switch patch :negative:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Just cleared the "Casual Kill Screen" 7.2 million for the first time!!!!

How? Most of it was the unholy trinity of Jokers. One that makes face cards gold, one that makes every card treated like a face card, and Vampire, which eats certain types of enhancements to make its multiplier go up. I probably could have gone a couple more hands of it, but they take up 3 jokers to do so, so I was worried I may not keep up).

But even with probably breaking up the infinite combo a bit too early, the Vampire was giving me a x12.6 MULTIPLIER.

Then, to top it off, I got the joker that gives a x3 modifier on the very last hand of the round. Lucky as heck, but I'll take it

edit: I actually made it through that whole ante, but it just makes me give more respect to those who post scores higher than there are number of atoms in the universe...

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 4, 2024

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I'm at the point where I've unlocked so many jokers that are only useful in the later rounds that it's become a pain in the arse trying to get a start with jokers I can actually use. Feel like the shop could use some subtle refinement.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The amount of resets it takes to get a viable run going at higher stakes really makes the game feel grindy and luck-based in a way it really isn't.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm not sure I entirely understand skipping because it seems dumb and why would I ever do it

I guess it might be good if I don't need to build up a joker effect and there's no reward on the blind due to the level of stakes?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wheel of Fortune may never hit, but Misprint is top-tier and always hits 18+

I'm sure it won't ever betray me

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm not sure I entirely understand skipping because it seems dumb and why would I ever do it

I guess it might be good if I don't need to build up a joker effect and there's no reward on the blind due to the level of stakes?

Doubling your money mid-game, or getting everything for free early, is extremely good. It's not always worth it but it can be

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hell Yeah posted:

get the joker the makes all cards treated as face cards. then i get the +4 mult on facecards! yes! and the 1 in 2 chance to win a few dollars off a face card! yes! but then... the boss that makes all face cards drawn face down. the balatro devs owned me so hard. i'm pretty sure they were watching my screen and laughing. the bastards

I'll do you one better. I had a similar facecard build going (with the retrigger facecards joker) that I thought could definitely win, and there is a boss that just debuffs all facecards.

Had to sell the all cards are faceards joker to even attempt the blind, and didn't even come close to winning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

the tags are often extremely good

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

On higher stakes you have be extremely choosy about tags but on lower stakes you can get away with a lot sometimes. See something nice, take it. It's just a matter of "do I really need to play this round out or not right now?"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I skip a lot, it's also great when you pickup Throwback which gives +.25x Mult per skipped blind. I rode that to a 9 round win once.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Harold Fjord posted:

Your first skip is $5 per skip, the second skip is initial booster packs and cards are free. So you skip the 1st small and big blind, and then when you beat the boss blind you've got like $20 and everything in that shop is free.

Is what would happen if you weren't annihilated by the boss blind after getting a low flush and a two pair.

But also on a serious note, the boss blind is sometimes bigger than the small blind that comes after it, so you know your cards are already strong enough to beat the small blind so you may as well skip for the tag anyway.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

One of the first stake difficulties makes small blinds not give you money (other than accrued interest) so there's incentive to skip those right off the bat. Guaranteeing a negative joker, doubling your money, getting various packs, all of these can be and often are extremely worth it. It's also often a no-brainer to skip if you are out of money and aren't likely to be making enough back in one or two goes to afford anything at the shop.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Doubling your money mid-game, or getting everything for free early, is extremely good. It's not always worth it but it can be

Also, even if the dollar value of beating a blind is higher than the value of the tag there's no guarantee that you will have the opportunity to spend your money on the things you need so it may very well be more valuable to take a guaranteed reward that you need instead of a higher amount of money that may or may not get you what you need, if there's e.g. a mega booster pack and your build incentivizes that booster heavily. Things like rare joker/holo joker tags (let alone negative joker tags) technically give you no resources at all, just giving you the opportunity to spend your money on something which may potentially be really good, and they're still often very high value skips. There's diminishing returns on how much you can improve your build by dumping raw money on it and blowing $20+ on the chance of locking in a really powerful joker (since you're skipping a blind that probably would give you $10+ in order to buy a joker that may cost $10+) is often better than dumping $20 on random booster packs if you don't have a particular use for them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Misprint betrayed me, ante 11 remains out of my grasp :negative:

I unlocked challenges though!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I feel like on white stake you just ask yourself "Do I need to go to the shop?" If the answer is no, just skip.

As the stakes go up tho, there is alot more to weigh. IE small Blinds give no money from the second stake on, so it might be even more valuable to skip then.

As others mentioned, things like negative jokers, mega boosters, money doubling, might really pay off in huge ways

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Man I haven’t paid attention to skips at all. I literally don’t think I’ve ever considered it.

I’ve had a few monster runs to ante 12 before the combos run out of steam. It’s hilarious being able to trigger a Vampire at x13 multiplier multiple times, and other x3 from things like Card Shark. I had a run last night where pairs were scoring 20+ million each.

Still no fuckin’ clue how to break 300 million for ante 12.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

The other good reason to consider skipping is if the boss blind is the one that debuffs all cards played that ante. Means you can go into it without worrying about that and hopefully pick up some decent tags on the way.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You should always skip ante 1 small blind mega buffoon pack or +15 gold after boss (assuming those are possible, its been a while). And I assume that even die hard skip haters can see the value of skip for negative guarantee.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No Wave posted:

You should always skip ante 1 small blind mega buffoon pack or +15 gold after boss (assuming those are possible, its been a while). And I assume that even die hard skip haters can see the value of skip for negative guarantee.

I never seem to get the negative guarantee unless I'm early and broke or full up on jokers and don't want to make hard choices

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

No Wave posted:

+15 after boss is definitely possible on the first skip. I don't think mega buffoon pack is.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I never seem to get the negative guarantee unless I'm early and broke or full up on jokers and don't want to make hard choices
Full up? Thats when negative is good!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No Wave posted:

Full up? Thats when negative is good!

Wait, does it let you add it if you're full up before buying it? I didn't realize that lol gently caress

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait, does it let you add it if you're full up before buying it? I didn't realize that lol gently caress

Yes, always skip for the negative joker!

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 4, 2024

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think I'll ever be able to resist getting a negative joker. I guess it's similar to buying another voucher but jokers tend to be better ime

mystes
May 31, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think I'll ever be able to resist getting a negative joker. I guess it's similar to buying another voucher but jokers tend to be better ime
It may not do anything you need but it's not taking up a space. How could anyone resist the opportunity?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just got the Legendary Joker that gains 1x mult for each destroyed face card, immediately followed by an Immolate that nuked four of my face cards. So that was nice.

mystes posted:

It may not do anything you need but it's not taking up a space. How could anyone resist the opportunity?

Yeah, the only reason I don't take a Negative Joker is if it's actively detrimental to my strategy somehow, or if I'm low on money and it's not particularly useful.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are some generic video poker guides online but are there any game-specific guides on discard strategies

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Verdant leaf is a great boss to have in the game because it gives me cover for buying any crap useless negative.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there are some generic video poker guides online but are there any game-specific guides on discard strategies

Specific is going to be hard because it’s incredibly deck specific once you have added cards, removed cards, or already had a couple hands played or discards. A calculator could be built but it’s not going to be simple enough to make rules you can apply live like in video poker because the deck might have 5 2s and only 3 kings and you already saw one but you have suited 8s in your hand and there are still three more in the deck and by the way odd cards are worth more and…

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I assume what's meant is ante 1 with 7 or 8 card hands and no jokers or deck manipulation. Being confident that you took the strongest line for 300, 450, and 600 chips would help a bit.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Generally, you look at your hand and see what cards you want, then pull up the deck view and see how many of that card are in the deck. Your odds of getting any single card is 1/number of cards in deck * how many cards you'll draw next. So if you have e.g. 2 pairs and are looking for a full house, and haven't modified your deck, there are at most 4 cards in the deck that complete the full house (fewer than 4 you've already used/discarded/trashed some of that number, greater than 4 if you've added more copies to your deck).

If you have 40 cards remaining, then your odds of getting 1 of those 4 cards on a single draw is 4/40 or 1/10. If you're discarding 2, then you draw 2, so your odds are 4/40 for the first card drawn plus 4/39 for the 2nd card drawn, and so on for additional draws.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If its ante 1 small blind and my hand is A K K 8 7 5 2 with two or less of each suit I don't know what the correct play is. I either brain off and try to force the A-10 straight, flail around looking for a full house, or try to force a flush with the suit I have the highest cards of, and I don't know which is right/which lets me recover best if I miss. Its different from video poker odds in any case because I'm not looking for EV because every chip above 300 doesnt matter.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 4, 2024

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Plank Walker posted:

Generally, you look at your hand and see what cards you want, then pull up the deck view and see how many of that card are in the deck. Your odds of getting any single card is 1/number of cards in deck * how many cards you'll draw next. So if you have e.g. 2 pairs and are looking for a full house, and haven't modified your deck, there are at most 4 cards in the deck that complete the full house (fewer than 4 you've already used/discarded/trashed some of that number, greater than 4 if you've added more copies to your deck).

If you have 40 cards remaining, then your odds of getting 1 of those 4 cards on a single draw is 4/40 or 1/10. If you're discarding 2, then you draw 2, so your odds are 4/40 for the first card drawn plus 4/39 for the 2nd card drawn, and so on for additional draws.

To continue this, the way the math works is you take the odds of the thing not happening and multiply them by each other to find the odds of you hitting.

So if you’re taking 5 cards and need one of 4, in a 40 card deck, you’d do 36/40 * 35/39 * 34/38 * 33/37 * 32/36 = 57% chance you don’t hit, or a a 43% chance you do.

If you also have four to a flush and there are 6 more of the card you need, it would be a 58% chance you hit.

If you also have an open ended straight draw with all 8 potential cards left it would be a 69% chance you hit.

If all of the potential hands that you could get would win for you at that point you can just count the cards that are left that can complete it and go with whatever has the most. It gets hairy when that hand won’t win it and you have to think about score and what you’ll have left after.

Edit: the above math, though, doesn’t factor in the chances of you pulling a pair of previously unheld cards

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 4, 2024

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
The first ante, I pretty much play for trying to get 2 of an x4 mult hand: straight/flush/full house. 3 discards is 15 cards out of the deck so even if it takes all 3 to get your first x4 mult hand, you have a much smaller pool of cards to draw from after. On the initial deal, I generally aim for full house if I have 2 pair or 3 of a kind, straight if I have an open ended draw, flush if I have 3x of one suit, and I feel like I have more success with flush/full house because those give you 5 card discards vs 4 cards for an open ended straight draw.

I'll go full house hunting if none of the above apply and I have a pair. In any case, once you've cycled a lot of the deck with those initial discards, you'll probably have an imbalance in one remaining suit so you can follow up with a flush and usually clear 600 in 2 hands. The first level stakes above white have got me into using the skips on one or both of first two blinds a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

No Wave posted:

If its ante 1 small blind and my hand is A K K 8 7 5 2 with two or less of each suit I don't know what the correct play is.

Holding R :v: