Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 6/22/52

Archie 9/26-28/49

Archie's a scab!

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 3/14-16/77

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

In the rough world of Conan, I find it hard to imagine that a restocking fee is ever honoured.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for March 1, 1928! John Held Jr. contributes our cover this week.

Frederick Strothmann:

Herb Roth:

J. Norman Lynd:

Don Herold:

Will B. Johnstone:

And here's a name you might be familiar with if you've got a long thread memory: Harry Haenigsen, at the young end of a career that would culminate in the midcentury teenage strip Penny. In '28, though, he was drinking from the Gluyas Williams well, as this centerfold demonstrates.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(November 24, 1918)

Gasoline Alley(October 26, 1919)

Little Nemo(April 19, 1908)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

cats have claws. this is silly.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

So the CK Sunday comics are quite brightly colored, aren't they?

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

He totally peed in that chair.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Flash Gordon

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

He totally peed in that chair.

oh my god its even more boring than i suspected!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

"It might have something to do with her spending a couple weeks getting uppers and downers slammed into her at random?" "Wow Rex you're a genius"

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 01, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
1981 Nancy is low-key one of my favorite strips in the thread. It's absolutely god-awful bad, but it's still clinging to the conventions of what made a joke in the 30s, so it routinely fails to tell a joke while also vaguely appropriating the images of an actual joke. It feels like when people set up the AI to make infinite Seinfield or The Simpsons scripts from pre-existing data, except it's real people, presumably cashing in real paychecks around a senile ghost of a cartoonist.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's trying to be Bushmiller Nancy but is sloppier about it so nothing hits very well.

Re: Flash discourse, I like that so far Azura's motivation seems mostly to be "in it for shits and giggles." She could be part of the evil plan, she could just be letting chaos happen for its own sake.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

So the CK Sunday comics are quite brightly colored, aren't they?

I think it's because Jules has just given up on shading at this point that the brightness stands out more.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"The bond that links your true family are respect and joy in each other's life" and "Adapt to changing circumstances that he turned in his favor" sure are ways to describe this scumbag tricking and lying his way into this mother and daughter's life. gently caress you, Mary Worth.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 01, 2002)

:allears: love it

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

This one made me laugh, after some time. Not because I finally got the joke, but because I felt myself going a bit crazy and had to either laugh at myself or have a lie down.

LvK posted:

1981 Nancy is low-key one of my favorite strips in the thread. It's absolutely god-awful bad, but it's still clinging to the conventions of what made a joke in the 30s, so it routinely fails to tell a joke while also vaguely appropriating the images of an actual joke. It feels like when people set up the AI to make infinite Seinfield or The Simpsons scripts from pre-existing data, except it's real people, presumably cashing in real paychecks around a senile ghost of a cartoonist.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's trying to be Bushmiller Nancy but is sloppier about it so nothing hits very well.

I wasn't sure what you guys were talking about because I thought, "Surely 1981 Nancy is Bushmiller Nancy...?" But apparently he had Parkinson's at this point and was being assisted by a couple of other artists: Al Plastino and Mark Lasky, who would succeed the strip officially (though briefly) following Bushmiller's death in 1982.

Sorry if I'm just repeating lore that is well-known to the thread, but I figured if I missed it, maybe someone else did too.

Did anyone ever speak publicly about the degree and nature of the 'assistance' that was happening during those last few years?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

Alright, there's layers to this poo poo today.

The Finnish original was "kaduilla on petollisen liukas", which literally means "the streets are deceptively slippery", which doesn't explain why there's a giant kaiju slipping and falling on someone's house. But while "petollinen" is deceptive, "pedollinen" is beastly. Now of course there's a difference between T and D, even in Finnish, and here we have to notice that the kaiju was saying "aagh, voi rähmä" in the original. "Voi rähmä" (which is literally 'oh, eye boogers', but is just a very mild expletive) was something of a catchphrase of Pertti "Spede" Pasanen, a legendary Finnish comedian. One staple of his comedy was replacing Ds in words with Ts, and vice versa. His comedy also frequently featured people falling over things.

Yes, it doesn't take much to entertain us Finns.

So if we apply the Spede rule, then petollinen/pedollinen works.

And here is Spede himself.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 4, 2024

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 21, 1962)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

Alright, there's layers to this poo poo today.

The Finnish original was "kaduilla on petollisen liukas", which literally means "the streets are deceptively slippery", which doesn't explain why there's a giant kaiju slipping and falling on someone's house. But while "petollinen" is deceptive, "pedollinen" is beastly. Now of course there's a difference between T and D, even in Finnish, and here we have to notice that the kaiju was saying "aagh, voi rähmä" in the original. "Voi rähmä" (which is literally 'oh, eye boogers', but is just a very mild expletive) was something of a catchphrase of Pertti "Spede" Pasanen, a legendary Finnish comedian. One staple of his comedy was replacing Ds in words with Ts, and vice versa. His comedy also frequently featured people falling over things.

Yes, it doesn't take much to entertain us Finns.

So if we apply the Spede rule, then petollinen/pedollinen works.

And here is Spede himself.

Man I love Fingerpori. And that gif was perfect for the post. :allears:

On first glance I thought the lizard monster thing was complaining that it had injured its nuts on one of the buildings.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/3/04

Brenda Starr 10/2-4/52

Smokey Stover 2/21/60

Everyday Movies 4/21/37

"I wonder which one of them he blew his room rent on THIS week after stalling me again."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/1-3/43

Closer Than We Think! 2/21/60

Camp Century had to be abandoned before the 1960s were out due to shifting ice, and is now a potential environmental hazard thanks to leftover fuel oil, sewage, and nuclear waste buried under the ice.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 4, 2024

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, May 28-June 1, 1984

And that concludes Spring 1984! Tomorrow we'll start the summer quarter which is a quick one and a big tonal shift.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(3/4/1994)

(3/5/1994)

Ziggy

(9/25/1971)

If you can't read it, it says "The Thrills of Skydiving"

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 10/2-4/52

Siberia remains the best character in this comic.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I wasn't sure what you guys were talking about because I thought, "Surely 1981 Nancy is Bushmiller Nancy...?" But apparently he had Parkinson's at this point and was being assisted by a couple of other artists: Al Plastino and Mark Lasky, who would succeed the strip officially (though briefly) following Bushmiller's death in 1982.

Sorry if I'm just repeating lore that is well-known to the thread, but I figured if I missed it, maybe someone else did too.

Did anyone ever speak publicly about the degree and nature of the 'assistance' that was happening during those last few years?

I wasn't sure the extent of any assistants/ghost-cartooning off the top of my head, but at that point Bushmiller had been doing the gig for over 50 years and was one year away from dying, I assumed that the comic strip zombification process was already in place.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 2/21/60

Camp Century had to be abandoned before the 1960s were out due to shifting ice, and is now a potential environmental hazard thanks to leftover fuel oil, sewage, and nuclear waste left buried under the ice.

IN THE FUTURE!

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 10, 1936)

Chuck Brown: On The Run (March 7, 1977)

Crankshaft

I've only been to one place with a check-in screen. It was an understaffed lab work place, and not only was there no receptionist, the waiting room wasn't even designed to have one. It was a profoundly creepy experience, at least the first time around. I realize these characters only exist to deliver the punchline, but never more so than today.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (January 2-4, 1936)

Thimble Theater (October 7, 1940)

Out Our Way (February 24-26, 1944)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Dochom

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

The critically-maligned Daredevil was still new in theaters. I remember enjoying it well enough for a 2003 comic book movie but I have had no desire to revisit it in the last 21 years. (I like Marcus' rinky-dink Kingpin get-up.)

Rose is Rose

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted his take on America's most beloved cartoon patriarch:

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 4, 2024

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This whole Retail arc reminds me of a thing a management buddy of mine said once, which was, "As soon as someone tries to leverage an offer against you, no matter how important they are you let them take the offer and go. They're already gone, anyway." You don't have to have hard feelings about it or undermine them or whatever. But if they come to you and say, "So and so has made me an offer ..." the only answer is, "Great, happy for you, thanks for your time here and good luck."

Counteroffers never keep a person longer than it takes them to leverage THAT into something else. And having that as a standing policy keeps people from pulling a bluff.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 4, 2024

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:drat:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

YAAAAAS WITCH-QUEEN

I'm just gonna say it, Azura, once you earn the "Witch" prefix in "Witch-Queen" ain't nobody gonna forget it

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Wicked Gnomes

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (August 23-26, 2005)

Extra long post to wrap this one up, both for pacing and because I missed yesterday. Starting tomorrow, Welcome to Oldbourne! Also, Allison starts drawing the comics by hand again, which is a refreshing visual style and also a hell of a throwback to mid-2000s webcomics. We'll get to see his style evolve over the next few years months (minus a quick jaunt back to the Illustrator style -- it'll only last a few weeks in real time) until it starts to reach what it was at the start of Bad Machinery.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So, because someone was a silly-billy who forgot to upload pics yesterday, have a double-helping of the usual today!

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Wicked Gnomes

:laffo: The title panel, Willie will set your hat on fire, that toasting reverend. The energy in this story is divine already!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family()

No strip for September 5, 1910

Baron Bean(March 6, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(February 3, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(October 27, 1919)

Us Boys(March 4, 1912)

The Gumps(April 2, 1917)

Krazy Kat(December 29, 1913)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

quote:

We Are Reproducing