Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

jokes posted:

I don't know why but this game is really good looking and I don't know what the gently caress other games are doing. the fog effects, the planets, the way these stupid aliens/robots move look amazing

Hellmire is an Experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My very first kill was a teammate, and I average 2-3 TKs a match. It's hard to be a disappointment in this game, even harder when your teammates are goons.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dinosaurs! posted:

Does the explosive liberator become useful at higher difficulties? I have enough credits for the premium warbond but nothing in it has really tipped me over the edge from "wait to see what the next one is." The gun looks great and it'd be cool if doing full damage to chargers and spewers made it a good choice, but I feel like you have much better support weapon options by the time you're dealing with heavies in quantities that outpace strategem cooldowns.

right now, not really. everything not the breaker, defender, or liberator just feels anemic and like it lacks oomph.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The only way to be a bad player is I offer you a hug or a fist bump and you leave me hanging.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Shorter jump pack cooldown plz

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dinosaurs! posted:

Does the explosive liberator become useful at higher difficulties? I have enough credits for the premium warbond but nothing in it has really tipped me over the edge from "wait to see what the next one is." The gun looks great and it'd be cool if doing full damage to chargers and spewers made it a good choice, but I feel like you have much better support weapon options by the time you're dealing with heavies in quantities that outpace strategem cooldowns.

It's fine against bots if you can reliably hit weakpoints but the Breaker is really just the better choice all around unfortunately.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Floppychop posted:

Holy the hell the scorcher is complete trash. The damage is middling, and the splash damage is a non factor on enemies. However if a hunter leaps in your face the splash will absolutely kill you.

most explosive weapons land in this area where they won’t do appreciable damage to more than 1 enemy at a time but will still instakill you if you use them on a bug that’s in your face. I would rather the autocannon had a splash range of 0 just so I could use it on close stalkers safely.

Riatsala posted:

I'm level 11 and haven't gotten a good AT support weapon yet. Should I get an autocannon or recoilless rifle first?

Also, how do you feed yourself ammo from your supply backpack? My teammates think I'm very altruistic handing it all to them but I'm really just trying to use the GL as a primary.

Get the autocannon, the recoilless is painful to load by yourself but if you try to squad load it the interaction can bug out and refuse to work while the autocannon is perfectly usable loading it yourself. the recoilless is only good at one thing except it’s also not very good at actually killing the enemies it’s meant to counter in 1-2 shots unlike the first game, and while the autocannon needs more precision/effort on heavy armor than the recoilless, it’s also good for a whole lot more than just those enemies. it’s useful on hive guards, brood commanders, closing bug holes/destroying factories, all the bigger bots, and it can kill tanks and laser cannon towers with a few shots to the vents.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Owl Inspector posted:

Get the autocannon, the recoilless is painful to load by yourself but if you try to squad load it the interaction can bug out and refuse to work while the autocannon is perfectly usable loading it yourself. the recoilless is only good at one thing except it’s also not very good at actually killing the enemies it’s meant to counter in 1-2 shots unlike the first game, and while the autocannon needs more precision/effort on heavy armor than the recoilless, it’s also good for a whole lot more than just those enemies. it’s useful on hive guards, brood commanders, closing bug holes/destroying factories, all the bigger bots, and it can kill tanks and laser cannon towers with a few shots to the vents.

I was reloading my friend's RR the other night and man it's hilarious when your arms bug out and suddenly you're walking around with your arms bunched together and facing your left side because you were standing on a rock when trying to load or something like that.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The only single use for the explosive weapons is them dealing full damage to squishy bug bits which is rarely a situation where it's a good idea to do this in the first place. It really should just have an effect to reduce armor over time or something when focusing on it then it could be more useful as a support weapon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fishstick posted:

Hellmire is an Experience

my favorite is whatever the planet that looks like a moon -- the silvery/white floor with the bright white light. if they had an effect where dirt particles fell slowly it would be way, way cooler. or if the fog had glitter in it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

explosivo posted:

I was reloading my friend's RR the other night and man it's hilarious when your arms bug out and suddenly you're walking around with your arms bunched together and facing your left side because you were standing on a rock when trying to load or something like that.

Do: fix squad reload interaction bug

Do not: fix squad reload naruto running

https://i.imgur.com/T3aicEe.mp4

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Owl Inspector posted:

Do: fix squad reload interaction bug

Do not: fix squad reload naruto running

https://i.imgur.com/T3aicEe.mp4

Lmao :sickos:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've learned that you simply cannot effectively rambo without a grenade launcher against the bugs. It and the Stalwart (at highest ROF naturally) are both supremely effective against bugs, but the grenade launcher can close holes which is important and it functions as a "oh poo poo" gun when you get caught unawares (this is also why you should rambo with fortified so you can do point-blank grenade launcher shots without dying).

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I would pay good money for a sidearm single poo poo grenade launcher that can kill bug holes even if it only has like 4 ammo with a longer reload time each shot.

I have problems closing bug holes because I run out of explosives, and there are no primaries or sidearms that can do that!

Or let the scorcher close bug holes or something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BitBasher posted:

I would pay good money for a sidearm single poo poo grenade launcher that can kill bug holes even if it only has like 4 ammo with a longer reload time each shot.

I have problems closing bug holes because I run out of explosives, and there are no primaries or sidearms that can do that!

Or let the scorcher close bug holes or something.

There's an explosive crossbow getting added at some point and the pic made it look pretty small, I was hoping that'd be a sidearm option to do exactly this with. I guess it's likely going to be a strategem though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Riatsala posted:

I'm level 11 and haven't gotten a good AT support weapon yet. Should I get an autocannon or recoilless rifle first?

Autocannon is IMO the best support weapon in the game, even better than the railgun. RR is really only great on bot defense/scientist rescue where you're constantly getting dropships to shoot down, IMHO its not worth it otherwise

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I used orbital airburst strike on a bot house and it killed everyone lmao 😂

Yesterday was not my day tbh lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Owl Inspector posted:

my latest experiment in "is this weapon as bad as they say?" is the counter sniper. answer: yes

from the listed stats it would be a questionable sidegrade to the marksman rifle, except those stats don't list that its turn speed is literally more sluggish than an autocannon. the thing straight up can't keep up with the average bug target's lateral movement. it also loses 2 magazines and 25% magazine size for the prize of a tiny amount more damage. the marksman rifle is still my favorite weapon so far even though some people don't like it.

It's not as good vs bugs but it is very good at killing robots from very far away in a sneaky manner

It feels real good to be in the stealth armor hiding in the bushes and snipe 4 scout pilots with 4 shots

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 4, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't know how I can throw a stratagem that summons an airstrike and stay completely still and the bugs know exactly where the airstrike came from

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

CelticPredator posted:

I used orbital airburst strike on a bot house and it killed everyone lmao 😂

Yesterday was not my day tbh lol

Could be worse. For the first time yesterday I primed a 500kg and was about to throw it when a stalker rag dolled me from behind making me drop it. On the landing pad during extraction.

Whoops.

I was actually yelling at my TV in horror.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

jokes posted:

I've learned that you simply cannot effectively rambo without a grenade launcher against the bugs. It and the Stalwart (at highest ROF naturally) are both supremely effective against bugs, but the grenade launcher can close holes which is important and it functions as a "oh poo poo" gun when you get caught unawares (this is also why you should rambo with fortified so you can do point-blank grenade launcher shots without dying).

GL is another weapon Im always glad to see. Even higher difficukty, it hangs in there and has a solid role

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

BitBasher posted:

Could be worse. For the first time yesterday I primed a 500kg and was about to throw it when a stalker rag dolled me from behind making me drop it. On the landing pad during extraction.

Whoops.

I was actually yelling at my TV in horror.

You can never have too much freedom

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
GL is apparently a meta weapon for bugs because it closes holes and doesnt take a backpack slot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Autocannon also works for being a solo little freak, albeit not as easily as GL since it needs a more specific angle to destroy bug holes and bot factories. had a good match on malevelon creek 7 where I happened to get separated from the group and just rolled with it by myself, quietly hellbombing a detector tower from the side and then destroying several bases with banked autocannon shots into factories before slipping away from the bots searching for me

Soloing the heavy bug nest is one thing I haven’t been brave enough to try because the holes are angled in a way where it’s hard to get them all from the outside and they don’t waste any time spawning bile titans + major swarms which can go bad fast

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 4, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Hit lvl 12 no idea what I'm doing. Gave my friend a flame thrower so we could do the weekly objective. Dual Flame Throwers with the supply packs to constantly reload is stupid and my fans hate it. Someone wanted me to get a rover / guard dog and how dare you try and get me to meta so early into the game. Haven't done any of the automaton missions yet.

I feel like you have a disadvantage using stratagems vs using a controller as opposed to aim being easier on KB/M. But I never tried controller for this so I don't know what the aiming experience is like.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

isn't this the Frog Fractions guy?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Really looking forward to the amazing daily orders again. Kill 9001 hulks with the Las-5 Scythe. Kill 40 teammates with the mortar sentry. Use some weapon you haven't even bothered to unlock and see how long you can go without a teammate laughing at you for bringing it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hell yeah I want some fuckin medals

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

isn't this the Frog Fractions guy?

I have no idea. That was posted in the official Helldivers discord in the announcements channel

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Janissary Hop posted:

Really looking forward to the amazing daily orders again. Kill 9001 hulks with the Las-5 Scythe. Kill 40 teammates with the mortar sentry. Use some weapon you haven't even bothered to unlock and see how long you can go without a teammate laughing at you for bringing it.

One of these things is not like the others...

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

One of these is not like the others...

I agree, they probably wouldn't be insane enough to require you to use the scythe to do anything.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The arc thrower is much better vs bugs than I expected. Some of my teammates will die in accidental discharges, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Not sold on it against bots yet but for bugs all the collateral bug damage and constant absolute dps is just the bees knees.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 4, 2024

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does the level of liberation on a planet do anything. I am gonna say no cause I haven't noticed yet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got the autocannon and am loving it, except for being a little disappointed it has no AP for chargers. Shoot em in the butt though.

The only AC downside is you gotta have the ammo backpack so no shield one, sad.

priznat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 4, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dyz posted:

GL is apparently a meta weapon for bugs because it closes holes and doesnt take a backpack slot.
it also obliterates groups of the big round bile spewers who love to spawn in high concentrations and ruin your life

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I hit 20 and picked up the Spear and I am confused what its niche is. It wouldn't lock on if a big guy is too close, it misses AT-STs and it locks onto the middle of dropships. I swapped back to my recoilless and life was good again, but I'm still left wondering what the Spear gets you for being so temperamental.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Does the grenade launcher break armor? Been running EAT with guard dog for the past couple of nights with good success. Might replace the EAT with the grenade launcher if it can break charger armor

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

jokes posted:

The grenade launcher is amazing against bugs when you get spitters and pretty good regardless but I’d never try to rambo with it because chargers ruin your day. I’ll absolutely pick it if I have anti-armour (railgun) teammates I can stick to and rely on for charger killing though.

tofes posted:

Does the grenade launcher break armor? Been running EAT with guard dog for the past couple of nights with good success. Might replace the EAT with the grenade launcher if it can break charger armor
The grenade launcher is complete dogshit against chargers unfortunately. It’s more likely to kill you reflecting off armour as the charger moves.

Darox fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

tofes posted:

No, you pretty much have to aim for the ground around the legs/underneath the charger and hope for splash damage.