Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Disappointing but not surprising

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/04/supreme-court-rules-in-trump-colorado-ballot-case.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not a surprise. Even the liberal justices clearly did not like the idea of the lower court decision

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The only issue I have with the ruling is that a state should absolutely be allowed to bar someone from running for Congress if they engaged in insurrection. Though on the upside this ruling, inadvertently or not, means that the Independent Legislature theory is dead for good because if states can't bar insurrectionist candidates from the ballot then state legislatures are not the only/final authority on a state's elections.

This also raises the question of who has standing to remove a person from the ballot for President and how. Congress can't pass a law targeting someone because that'd be a Bill of Attainder. Does someone have to sue in Federal court to block an insurrectionist candidate from the ballot in all 50 states? I suspect the actual answer is going to be "nobody will ever try to meaningfully enforce the 14th amendment's insurrectionist clause ever."

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 4, 2024

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I've seen some law profs basically say this makes it so the only way to stop Trump for 14th amendment reasons at this point is for Congress to refuse to certify his electoral votes. You know, the very same thing Trump tried to riot his way into doing!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I glanced through some stuff and it sounds like scotus does expect a congressional act to disqualify under 14. In one part they imply 2/3, but they never spell anything out.
So, section 14 is now a preemptive impeachment?

E: I particularly love one senator's statement that scotus took the decision out of politician's hands. No, it did the opposite

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slaan posted:

I've seen some law profs basically say this makes it so the only way to stop Trump for 14th amendment reasons at this point is for Congress to refuse to certify his electoral votes. You know, the very same thing Trump tried to riot his way into doing!

I mean, it was always up to congress at the end of the day?

quote:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nitrousoxide posted:

Several Justices have said that oral arguments are a waste of time.

Justice Thomas went like 10 years without asking a question in them too.

he's been speaking up in the last year a bit more, particularly when the opportunity to chip in with a thinly-veiled "sieg heil" shows up

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The "... Remove such disability" language implies that the bar to office is self-executing without needing Congress to intervene except to undo the bar.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

no it's always up to Congress to remove the disqualification, which applies automatically without them doing anything at all because the United States of America amended its Constitution to make it so.

or we did, until the Gang Of Six cancelled the plain meaning of the clause via fiat this morning

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Given the current court ideology and Kavanaugh and Barrett being the main lawyers for Bush v Gore, I guess we can at least be happy they're still allowing an election instead of just appointing him.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't think that the same people who fastidiously ignore the plain-as-day state militia context for 2A will pay any attention to the due process delineated in 14A.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

projecthalaxy posted:

Given the current court ideology and Kavanaugh and Barrett being the main lawyers for Bush v Gore, I guess we can at least be happy they're still allowing an election instead of just appointing him.

they will absolutely have their opportunity to appoint him once the former Confederacy states and Ohio sue preemptively regarding their "actually, the vote results themselves aren't stipulated as necessary in selecting our state's presidential electors" policies already being proposed and passed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

This also raises the question of who has standing to remove a person from the ballot for President and how. Congress can't pass a law targeting someone because that'd be a Bill of Attainder. Does someone have to sue in Federal court to block an insurrectionist candidate from the ballot in all 50 states? I suspect the actual answer is going to be "nobody will ever try to meaningfully enforce the 14th amendment's insurrectionist clause ever."

What they seem to suggest is that Congress should pass a law explicitly granting the the removal power to whoever they think is appropriate, laying out procedures and conditions for removal. Similar to the Enforcement Act of 1870, which specified who should initiate removal proceedings and how the removal proceedings should go.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

they also suggest whatever Congress does must follow City of Boerne congruence and proportionality requirements, which is separate judge-made law designed primarily to undermine the 14th. which wouldn't apply to the states, but they've just removed the states entirely from the process

they're rewriting the fourteenth amendment wholesale without even a case or controversy. it's shelby county 2.0 with even less of a pretense of normalcy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Slaan posted:

It also means that the 14th is no longer self-executing even though it very clearly was at the time of it's passage, hence Congress acting to give an exception to the Confederates.

hobbesmaster posted:

Reread what you're quoting. It's saying it takes a 2/3 vote to allow the insurrectionist to run for office again. That bolded section is what reinforces the notion that the 14th is self-executing for disbarment the same that the 13th is self-executing for abolishing slavery.

Again, the proper response to a SCOTUS ruling would be "you are factually wrong and nakedly politicking from the bench, gently caress you and your ruling" but what will happen is the same as always: Politicians will just nod and go along with it at the end of the day.

Main Paineframe posted:

What they seem to suggest is that Congress should pass a law explicitly granting the the removal power to whoever they think is appropriate, laying out procedures and conditions for removal. Similar to the Enforcement Act of 1870, which specified who should initiate removal proceedings and how the removal proceedings should go.

And this suggestion would be a fundamental change to the 14th and its application since inception. Trump engaged in insurrection and was Impeached (but not removed from office) for doing so. The idea that Congress has to act, again, in this case is a loving farce.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Evil Fluffy posted:

My read is that Congress can enact a law stating that, under the 14th, anyone who is convicted of x by a federal court is automatically barred from the ballot. Then, Congress can still overturn this bar via a 2/3 majority vote.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

rkd_ posted:

My read is that Congress can enact a law stating that, under the 14th, anyone who is convicted of x by a federal court is automatically barred from the ballot. Then, Congress can still overturn this bar via a 2/3 majority vote.

This literally cannot be the right reading. Jefferson Davis was the President of the Confederacy. He was never convicted of a crime. Your reading therefore does not bar him from holding office. A reading that lets the Arch Traitor into office is a reading that can't be right

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

It also means that the 14th is no longer self-executing even though it very clearly was at the time of it's passage, hence Congress acting to give an exception to the Confederates.

Reread what you're quoting. It's saying it takes a 2/3 vote to allow the insurrectionist to run for office again. That bolded section is what reinforces the notion that the 14th is self-executing for disbarment the same that the 13th is self-executing for abolishing slavery.

Again, the proper response to a SCOTUS ruling would be "you are factually wrong and nakedly politicking from the bench, gently caress you and your ruling" but what will happen is the same as always: Politicians will just nod and go along with it at the end of the day.

And this suggestion would be a fundamental change to the 14th and its application since inception. Trump engaged in insurrection and was Impeached (but not removed from office) for doing so. The idea that Congress has to act, again, in this case is a loving farce.

More than that, a clear majority of Senators voted to remove him from office. The only reason he wasn't removed was due to partisan bullshit.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
What exactly is the point of the 14th ammendent if it can't used? It just seems like laws really don't mean anything.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

John Yossarian posted:

What exactly is the point of the 14th ammendent if it can't used? It just seems like laws really don't mean anything.

Well, only the _right_ people should be using it. :p

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

John Yossarian posted:

We're making America great again, what part of "usher the Rapture asap" are you not on board with?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there some Trump thread hate-reading this thread, chiming in every time someone suggests that maybe the establishment clause doesn't grant wholesale permission to discriminate, or are uncertain about whether 620,000 dead Americans provide enough cause to read the plain text of the Civil War amendment specifically where it talks about traitors being disbarred from federal officership until Congress lifts disqualification?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slaan posted:

This literally cannot be the right reading. Jefferson Davis was the President of the Confederacy. He was never convicted of a crime. Your reading therefore does not bar him from holding office. A reading that lets the Arch Traitor into office is a reading that can't be right

If Jefferson Davis had run for the presidency, then his disqualification from the presidency definitely wouldn't have been enforced through states unilaterally removing him from their ballots. There would definitely, absolutely be some kind of federal government action to officially declare him disqualified and make that disqualification absolutely clear and official to the many ex-Confederate states that wouldn't remove him from their ballots.

In fact, even in the aftermath of the Civil War, many states openly ignored the 14th amendment and routinely appointed or elected ex-Confederates to positions that insurrectionists were definitely barred from holding under the Insurrection Clause.

John Yossarian posted:

The point of the 14th Amendment was to grant Congress substantial powers to pass laws covering things that it was formerly unable to legislate about. It was meant to give them free rein to pass whatever laws they thought might be needed to enforce Reconstruction, even if those laws would have been deemed blatantly unconstitutional in 1858. In particular, it was meant to give Congress considerable power to force their policies on ex-Confederate states by ensuring that Congress clearly had the constitutional authority to pass those laws.

That's why the 14th amendment says "The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article". The Supreme Court is saying that the 14th can be used, it just has to be used by passing appropriate legislation to enforce it, rather than relying on judicial calvinball or unilateral actions by other bodies to make up an enforcement procedure from scratch on the fly.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Potato Salad posted:

Is there some Trump thread hate-reading this thread, chiming in every time someone suggests that maybe the establishment clause doesn't grant wholesale permission to discriminate, or are uncertain about whether 620,000 dead Americans provide enough cause to read the plain text of the Civil War amendment specifically where it talks about traitors being disbarred from federal officership until Congress lifts disqualification?

Sotomayor is a goon and she's a MAGA CHUD yes.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

If Jefferson Davis had run for the presidency, then his disqualification from the presidency definitely wouldn't have been enforced through states unilaterally removing him from their ballots. There would definitely, absolutely be some kind of federal government action to officially declare him disqualified and make that disqualification absolutely clear and official to the many ex-Confederate states that wouldn't remove him from their ballots.

In fact, even in the aftermath of the Civil War, many states openly ignored the 14th amendment and routinely appointed or elected ex-Confederates to positions that insurrectionists were definitely barred from holding under the Insurrection Clause.

Would there have been massive action by Congress to stop Davis from running and make sure literally everyone in the world knew it was because he was stopped by the 14th? Probably! Would it have been required though? No! The amendment only requires action to undo a disqualification, not affirm/create one.

The fact that lovely states were being lovely and Andrew Johnson was being lovely doesn't mean the amendment doesn't exist or clearly says what it says, either.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

eSports Chaebol posted:

Sotomayor is a goon and she's a MAGA CHUD yes.

Friend, we nearly unanimously saw the 9-0 unity vote coming months ago.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

Friend, we nearly unanimously saw the 9-0 unity vote coming months ago.

FWIW, i remember everyone being all doomy when the lawyers were loving up oral arguments.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Cimber posted:

FWIW, i remember everyone being all doomy when the lawyers were loving up oral arguments.

It was more just super clear from the questions being asked that we were headed for at absolute best 7-2, most likely 9-0.

I still don’t know from the decision when or how they think Congress is supposed to decide someone can’t be President.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slaan posted:

Would there have been massive action by Congress to stop Davis from running and make sure literally everyone in the world knew it was because he was stopped by the 14th? Probably! Would it have been required though? No! The amendment only requires action to undo a disqualification, not affirm/create one.

The fact that lovely states were being lovely and Andrew Johnson was being lovely doesn't mean the amendment doesn't exist or clearly says what it says, either.

Somebody, at some point, has to take action to decide whether or not someone is disqualified and officially make that determination for the entire nation. This court decision is entirely about who that someone should be. Who possesses the power and responsibility to make that call? The Supreme Court ruled that "It sure isn't the individual states acting on their own" (which makes perfect sense) and "the rest of the 14th Amendment says that that enforcement power belongs with Congress, who can pass appropriate legislation to enforce it" (which is unfortunate, but legally reasonable enough).

This issue was visible very early on, which is why Congress soon passed the Enforcement Act of 1870 for the express purpose of enforcing various clauses of the 14th Amendment, including the Insurrection Clause. It clearly laid out who has the power to enforce Insurrection Clause violations (federal prosecutors), how much responsibility they have to do so (they were tasked with actively seeking out violations to enforce it against), what the exact enforcement mechanism was (a specific kind of legal filing, with a special fast-track process created to speed it along and reduce judicial obstruction), and even established punishments for violations (aside from removal from office, it also made Insurrection Clause violations a federal crime punished by fines or jail time).

As the Supreme Court pointed out:

quote:

Indeed, during a debate on enforcement legislation less than a year after ratification, Sen. Trumbull noted that “notwithstanding [Section 3] . . . hundreds of men [were] holding office” in violation of its terms. Cong. Globe, 41st Cong., 1st Sess., at 626. The Constitution, Trumbull noted, “provide[d] no means for enforcing” the disqualification, necessitating a “bill to give effect to the fundamental law embraced in the Constitution.” Ibid. The enforcement mechanism Trumbull championed was later enacted as part of the Enforcement Act of 1870, “pursuant to the power conferred by §5 of the [Fourteenth] Amendment.”

Unfortunately, those clauses of the Enforcement Act were later repealed.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Slaan posted:

Sure, but either way, the *states* are not the correct actors here.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Imagine the conversation we would be having if someone anywhere to the left of Ronald Reagan attempted the J6 insurrection and coup.

We'd be asking questions like, "was 75 years without parole too harsh for the J6 attendees?" or "was it appropriate for the state to foot the funerary bill after the execution?"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm joking, we'd have been asking those questions in February 2021.

Kidding aside, and with dead seriousness: as usual, the constitutional republic that slew 620,000 mostly-working-clsss men in the latter half of the nineteenth century over the question of each state's rights (to hold popular vote for or against chattel slavery, after decades of escalation mostly aggravated by fears over new free states being admitted by popular vote :ssh: ) -- and couldn't even deign to grant full civil rights to former slaves' descendants for a full century -- has found a way for a wealthy conservative white Christian man to get away with obvious, violent treason.

Recalling the last few weeks and months of the prevailing winds itt, this is an unsurprising outcome.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 4, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h24D87SqaLQ&t=231s

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Potato Salad posted:

Imagine the conversation we would be having if someone anywhere to the left of Ronald Reagan attempted the J6 insurrection and coup.

We'd be asking questions like, "was 75 years without parole too harsh for the J6 attendees?" or "was it appropriate for the state to foot the funerary bill after the execution?"

People were getting loving black bagged and committing "suicide" in burning cars for Black Lives Matter protests that broke windows. They'd still be washing the blood off the steps of the capitol building to this day.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Slaan posted:

That was my reading of the SC's decision, not the Amendment itself.

I get that the amendment is self-executing, but of course, who decides when the criteria have been met for it to be self-executing? The amendment just isn't written in a way that it can be self-executing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Could Congress not still pass a bill saying "all participants in x event on y date are declared insurrectionists under the 14th and barred from z class of offices"?

In reality they won't, but that seems like the means of executing the amendment in this instance if anything is

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Javid posted:

Could Congress not still pass a bill saying "all participants in x event on y date are declared insurrectionists under the 14th and barred from z class of offices"?

In reality they won't, but that seems like the means of executing the amendment in this instance if anything is

In a 6-3 decision this is found to be an ex post facto law and it is determined that Congress must pass laws making people ineligible for specific insurrections before they happen.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If the Republicans on the SC didn’t like it, they’d simply call that sort of thing a bill of attainder. It would just depend on the political context. The legacy of the Robert’s Court has been that they can do whatever they want, for whatever reason, and it doesn’t have to be internally coherent.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
In 2021, Congress should have introduced a bill to rehabilitate Trump and have it fail to reach a 2/3 majority. (Narrow window to get it to the floor in both houses)

Is there anything in the opinion that doesn't conclude that Elon could run and only be taken off ballots for not being a natural born citizen by and act of congress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kaal posted:

If the Republicans on the SC didn’t like it, they’d simply call that sort of thing a bill of attainder. It would just depend on the political context. The legacy of the Robert’s Court has been that they can do whatever they want, for whatever reason, and it doesn’t have to be internally coherent.

Yep. There's no situation where the Roberts court allows a ruling that the party doesn't want. The Dobbs decision is probably the closest thing because the True Believers wanted to eliminate abortion access while the wing Roberts belongs to wanted to keep the death by a thousand cuts because things like overturning abortion or LGBT rights are surefire ways to lose otherwise winnable elections but ultimately they are what the insane Talibangelical base they've created wants and that base is taking over the party and driving out people who aren't openly Christofascist like them.