Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the series as a whole is about how selling drugs is badass, so adding a little nuance is fine

I'm saying there's not enough nuance, I'm saying that character is steeped in decades of propaganda tropes and David Simon should have known better. Just her tiny subplot is really telling on himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

for me The Wire doesn't really get unforgivable until season 5 when it really starts hammering the *Joe Biden voice* "Fund the police! Fund them!" message

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

for me The Wire doesn't really get unforgivable until season 5 when it really starts hammering the *Joe Biden voice* "Fund the police! Fund them!" message

Fund The Police, But Do It Illegally, Through Made Up Crimes

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

docbeard posted:

JUNC in the DUNC

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i thought season 5 was more "people will do more and more hosed up poo poo to progress in broken systems" because that's exactly what every storyline is screaming at once

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I did not really get any glorification of crime or the police from The Wire

everyone was an idiot and just about as miserable as a human can be

that these monstrous people were played by some of the most captivating character actors of their era maybe makes that easier to miss

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"There's the bad police of right now, poisoned by a focus on statistics and the drug war, and the good police of the imagined past!"

It's always about appealing to an imagined past with loving Boomers, no matter what side they're on or what issue. Mojo Nixon had a great song about that.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
when does the show say anything about when police were good? genuine question

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
To me, the North star of the Wire was always "any actual solution you come up with for a problem will be discarded by your bosses and get you yelled at if it doesn't immediately make number go up/down."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the milk machine posted:

when does the show say anything about when police were good? genuine question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5za4VsskM

not saying it's the only point of the scene, but he is most definitely idealizing the past and saying "we gotta get back to when being a cop worked"

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

should I watch the wire or should I just watch Keanu Reeves's a scanner darkly on repeat?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you want something with drugs and crime and violence I recommend 1994's Fresh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

should I watch the wire or should I just watch Keanu Reeves's a scanner darkly on repeat?

You should watch this drive.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
eh, i still see that as "the drug war is bad and not helping anyone" in the "soldier vs police" thing, and it's also delivered by a character who is on his way out of a changed profession and would naturally be nostalgic for the past, whether it was "good" or not (and he makes clear elsewhere that police work is also mostly busting skulls anyway)

i think it boils down to the show is saying "things are bad and getting worse" and yeah you can argue that implies things used to be better, but i don't think there's a lot of genuine nostalgia from the show vs some characters

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you want something with drugs and crime and violence I recommend 1994's Fresh

Fresh whips rear end, best of the '90s hood film cycle maybe? I still haven't seen Belly.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

The Wire was a good show

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

that poster was parodying the classic line, and you still got the order wrong even when correcting them lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFhpctuUwb4

Lol well there you go!

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
the wire is a show about how it's cool to be gay and do crime.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

the wire is a show about how it's cool to be gay and do crime.

The nail gun purchase scene is :kiss:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

BONGHITZ posted:

Keanu Reeves's a scanner darkly on repeat?
lol that is the only movie i ever had to leave bc it made me physically sick

got 20 or 30 min in and then got up to vomit in a trash can and collapse on a bench

was still there when it let out

i am completely incompatible with its visual style

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AmiYumi posted:

i am completely incompatible with its visual style
drat goondolences. what about Ralph Bakshi movies like lord of the rings or cool world or Harlem shuffle or whatever?

I’m pretty lucky I guess I don’t have motion or visual audio sickness.

never had any issue with movies. weirdly enough the only game to ever make me feel sick was Talos Principle: it’s just something with that right combination of weird source engine smooth-jank, head bob, FOV, and something else that made me feel nauseous

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Xaris posted:

drat goondolences. what about Ralph Bakshi movies like lord of the rings or cool world or Harlem shuffle or whatever?
no problems but then again i didnt see them in theaters

in retrospect i also got sick from a 3d movie once but it was immediately after getting an eye exam w dilation

not sure why i expected that to end well

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i couldn't finish domino because it gave me a splitting headache

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
domino rules

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Beau Is Afraid made me sick, but, like, not physically

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/StolenDans/status/1764648751212142969?s=20

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fresh whips rear end, best of the '90s hood film cycle maybe? I still haven't seen Belly.

I used to think Baby Boy was a great movie when i saw it as a kid. It kind of reminds me of 50's melodrama and Wes Anderson but is also a hood movie. Doesn't really tie into the drug war but its a hood film that I think has been overlooked. I will have to watch it again to see how I like it now.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Saw the first episode of The regime. It was alright. Dont expect very incisive political satire but it was fun enough. Kate Winslet was a deligth as always. I was expecting them to make it easy for themselves by making the fake country be not-russia. But it seems they are more going for not-hungary instead. It even raises some good points of how European countries are basically vassals of US economic interests. Since its the bad guys saying these things i am sure the pro-sell the national resources neoliberal faction will be proven correct. But so for its not so bad. A fine way to waste 48 minutes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

I used to think Baby Boy was a great movie when i saw it as a kid. It kind of reminds me of 50's melodrama and Wes Anderson but is also a hood movie. Doesn't really tie into the drug war but its a hood film that I think has been overlooked. I will have to watch it again to see how I like it now.

i never saw that one but it's by John Singleton so it's probably pretty good. i actually think his Shaft remake is kinda underrated lol.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
my first exposure to the wire was my undergrad political science teacher made us watch the entire first season when only seasons 1 and 2 were out and immediately became patient 0 "guy who demands everyone watch the wire" before that was a kind of guy

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Al! posted:

my first exposure to the wire was my undergrad political science teacher made us watch the entire first season when only seasons 1 and 2 were out and immediately became patient 0 "guy who demands everyone watch the wire" before that was a kind of guy

lol

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
in law school my criminal procedure professor had us watch the copier "lie detector" scene and also the mcdonalds interrogation scene

variations on each happen all the time and tons of federal prosecutors will agree with that because it's a time honored cop tradition

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Baudolino posted:

It even raises some good points of how European countries are basically vassals of US economic interests. Since its the bad guys saying these things i am sure the pro-sell the national resources neoliberal faction will be proven correct. But so for its not so bad.

Yeah, this was my main takeaway.

From the script I get the sense that the production would have been stronger -- or, at least, wildly more entertaining -- if they'd gone the full Gilliam and shoved fish eye lens and forced perspective / distorted focal lengths onto everything. Instead they've gone maybe a fifth Gilliam, which means that the angles are sometimes canted.

Winslet is operating at hundo p Terry. That loving voice. Casting generally seems like it's pulling from his playbook. Lots of random brits with a history in hammy grotesques, like Pippa Haywood and Danny Webb. Plus cartoonish looking characters e.g. big monster man.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You see that as far back as season 1

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
they say "good policework" a lot in the wire

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
but to the people saying that it generally means "brutalizing vulnerable people without having to do a bunch of paperwork"

maybe

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lol yeah like if that's the first and only way you ever see those movies you're a cultural assassin.

where can i find a feature length of star wars cerveza cristal version

i want to show it to children and gaslight them into thinking its the actual lore

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Some Guy TT posted:

where can i find a feature length of star wars cerveza cristal version

i want to show it to children and gaslight them into thinking its the actual lore

“Midichlorian Count” is just a fancy way of saying Blood Alcohol Level.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Someone wrote a really good article about what Obama liking the Wire says, both about him, and the limits of its critique, but I can't find it. Does anyone remember?

i read an article once about the second season of the wire where the guy writing it said the first time he watched it he really hated ziggy but on the rewatch he ended up going huh ziggys pretty much the only guy who understands just how bad the situation really is

really makes u think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Someone wrote a really good article about what Obama liking the Wire says, both about him, and the limits of its critique, but I can't find it. Does anyone remember?

I dunno about an article but Matt Christman talked about it on ep 116 with prestige tv in particular and it's place in the cultural milieu around 30 minutes in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDkvfjGcIdE, recap culture, idpol, etc. one of his best and top tier imo. Maybe this is what you're thinking of?

the dogshit rear end youtube transcript doesn't make much sense but if you're lazy here's the transcript:

quote:

e: nevermind. I tried to make the transcript work but way too long and too much work so I deleted it., youtube sucks so much rear end for it to make sense . just watch the cushvlog. the discussion about obama liking the wire and what it means is around 49-minutes. it's very insightful and a good rant, it perfectly encapsulates the liberal mindset of consumption = morality. I'd love if someone can synthesize it into a post for future reference

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:40 on Mar 5, 2024