Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

jaete posted:

This seems possible, but wasn't this leaked by the Russians? So you're saying the German defence ministry (or some other western faction) leaked this to the Russians deliberately, as a move against Scholz?

The Russians would have reason to leak this to influence the German public, who will not listen or know the content of the entire call and to make it clear to Scholz that they probably have much more of this stuff. I don´t find it likely, but it is not completely useless to them.

The timing of this leak, however, as well as showing what a bunch of liars Scholz and the SPD are, would indeed point to a leak by someone else originally, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Sure and it could be that I grow a third nipple tomorrow. Like Simonyan would disseminate it if it didn't come from Russian intelligence. Get real.

Germany´s biggest newspaper disseminated the theory that Zaluszhnyi ordered twice(!) the destruction of NordStream (but only NordStream 1 at first). To assume that everything is exactly as it would appear, that there is no information war going on, is a bit naive.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KingaSlipek posted:

Germany´s biggest newspaper disseminated the theory that Zaluszhnyi ordered twice(!) the destruction of NordStream (but only NordStream 1 at first). To assume that everything is exactly as it would appear, that there is no information war going on, is a bit naive.

You can't blame the CIA for everything that happens in the world.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

spankmeister posted:

You can't blame the CIA for everything that happens in the world.

Wrong forum

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Germany's biggest "news"paper also speculated whether Germans would turn black from climate change and illustrated it on its front page with blackface Angela Merkel, Schröder…

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Antigravitas posted:

Germany's biggest "news"paper also speculated whether Germans would turn black from climate change and illustrated it on its front page with blackface Angela Merkel, Schröder…

American posters in particular might mistakenly assume that print is mostly pretty reliable because in America, dumb people get their news exclusively from cable TV news.

In Europe we don't really do cable news, so the stories Fox news and OANN would show on TV are printed in papers like Bild instead.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

I was referring to SPIEGEL, not BILD.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

American posters in particular might mistakenly assume that print is mostly pretty reliable because in America, dumb people get their news exclusively from cable TV news.

In Europe we don't really do cable news, so the stories Fox news and OANN would show on TV are printed in papers like Bild instead.

Uh, the New York Post exists, as do 100% tabloids.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

OddObserver posted:

Those don't really have the same influence since the rise of cable news though. The primary source for nonsense in USA is things like Fox.
I think it's fair to say that in Europe it's more from papers like Bild and The Sun. Being Canadian, I'd say that even here the Sun papers are the primary source as there isn't really a homegrown version of Fox, although they tried.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

I'm more of a Daily News man but to be honest that and the Post are pretty much localized to the NYC area. There are few national papers. The Times? USA Today? Screw?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Fidelitious posted:

Those don't really have the same influence since the rise of cable news though. The primary source for nonsense in USA is things like Fox.
I think it's fair to say that in Europe it's more from papers like Bild and The Sun. Being Canadian, I'd say that even here the Sun papers are the primary source as there isn't really a homegrown version of Fox, although they tried.

There is also right wing talk radio which is easy to forget about since no one under 60 listens to radio at all. However, among the right wing base there is a huge following and most of it is significantly more radicalized then Fox news.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I dont know posted:

There is also right wing talk radio which is easy to forget about since no one under 60 listens to radio at all. However, among the right wing base there is a huge following and most of it is significantly more radicalized then Fox news.

That's a good call. Australia was (is?) rife with right wing radio shock jocks. While not the original source of Murdoch's influence (his dad owned a paper in South Australia), he absolutely climbed into radio in a big way.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Most of Europe still has some form of fairness doctrine for TV stations. Can't legally do something like Fox News or OANN here. In print media, anything goes. Your imagination is the limit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
As long as we're talking of German magazines, my absolute all time favourite is

:allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

beer_war posted:

To be clear, there is nothing scandalous or even massively surprising about the call in and of itself, even if Russia will of course try to pretend otherwise. The only scandal is that Russian intelligence services caught the Luftwaffe with their pants down.

Yeah, but it's nice of Russia to just make this intelligence public, to tip off MAD. So on one hand, the Bundeswehr gets embarrassed even more as it already is, but on the other, Germany can now work on closing that intelligence gap.

Hopefully it's really WebEx, or Russia just burned their spies for no good reason. :lol:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Nenonen posted:

As long as we're talking of German magazines, my absolute all time favourite is

:allears:

FH?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

As a lesson in scamming, if someone notices a really, really obvious error on your fakes, just make up poo poo on the spot. As long as you talk fast, and about something people really wish to be true, you may manage to keep the scam going for a while.

An example:

"Why is there FH instead of AH on Adolf Hitlers diaries?" Answer: "Clearly, the guy was so weird, he wrote "FH" for "Führerhauptquartier" or maybe even "Führer Hitler". I dunno, I just found the things" - a Scammer

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Libluini posted:

As a lesson in scamming, if someone notices a really, really obvious error on your fakes, just make up poo poo on the spot. As long as you talk fast, and about something people really wish to be true, you may manage to keep the scam going for a while.

An example:

"Why is there FH instead of AH on Adolf Hitlers diaries?" Answer: "Clearly, the guy was so weird, he wrote "FH" for "Führerhauptquartier" or maybe even "Führer Hitler". I dunno, I just found the things" - a Scammer

It's an in-joke for Deutsch-Goons (who are cineastically literate).

https://youtu.be/QTGMnPS-nxg?si=MgZUxt3fFwDjppYP

Sadly, there are no subtitles.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It was his pen name, Floda H.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's an in-joke for Deutsch-Goons (who are cineastically literate).

https://youtu.be/QTGMnPS-nxg?si=MgZUxt3fFwDjppYP

Sadly, there are no subtitles.

Knowing YouTube, it will have German subtitles, that's enough for me, as I can fluidly read German

Anyway, nope sorry, the movie was made something like 10+ years after the books were "found", what I said was literally taken from the German Wikipedia-page about the scandal.

They really did have the wrong initials on their fakes

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

I dont know posted:

Also, podcasts of Tucker Carlson, Ben Shapiro and the like are literally among the biggest in the country.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

We just need The Rapture to come get all these morons so we can get on with meaningful and effective governance.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

duodenum posted:

We just need The Rapture to come get all these morons so we can get on with meaningful and effective governance.

But isn't that supposed to be the end of the world? I must admit I'm not well-versed in such things.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You're not gonna believe this, but accounts seem to vary.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1764603143277457609?t=P1Ztvh3590yUEfMjVE7uAQ&s=19

First battlefield usage resulting in some drone hit would be detrimental to future export plans and investments, making it too expensive, true

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Being killed by drone would mean it somehow managed to drive itself into Ukrainian drone range. Smooth, paved roads are enough to destroy it.

Just like a machine that uses 500l of diesel per hour, is as big as a house and cuts oranges in 3 pieces is is a russian electric machine for cutting oranges into 4, the t14 is a next generation stealth parade tank

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1764603143277457609?t=P1Ztvh3590yUEfMjVE7uAQ&s=19

First battlefield usage resulting in some drone hit would be detrimental to future export plans and investments, making it too expensive, true

Apparently they hope to build five T-90 for every Armata. I don't know if Armata is actually good for anything, but with the current rate of losing tanks, it does make more sense to Russia to produce/refurbish several old tanks than waste several month on one really expensive one even if it's twice as good. Same with soldiers, really.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Paladinus posted:

Apparently they hope to build five T-90 for every Armata. I don't know if Armata is actually good for anything, but with the current rate of losing tanks, it does make more sense to Russia to produce/refurbish several old tanks than waste several month on one really expensive one even if it's twice as good. Same with soldiers, really.

Yeah, tanks are a consumable. It's like they took a look at the pimped out M1's driving around in airpower cleared zones dominating rifle armed insurgents and thinking "I want some of that", designed the T-14 to be an over the top M1 and then the reality of arty, mines, arty laid mines and drones actually taking out the bulk of tanks (with the bulk of crew being picked off by drones after as they run back to the lines) means that resources are far better spent on "good enough" but in quantity.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

fatherboxx posted:

You could argue with a straight face that with the low production run of the T-14 and none being built in the foreseeable future that it would be really expensive to lose one due to the very high unit cost. The English translation of the article got a chuckle out of me

quote:

"Now we need money to create new tanks, new weapons, maybe cheaper ones. Therefore, if there is an opportunity to buy cheaper ones, why not," the source added.
Why not money to make T-14s and drive down the unit cost? Or you can only afford or the technology base to build cheap tanks?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Given how relatively cheap it is to make effective drones, perhaps that philosophy is being applied to the rest of their military? If it works for drones, maybe it'll work for tanks!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

haddedam posted:

Being killed by drone would mean it somehow managed to drive itself into Ukrainian drone range. Smooth, paved roads are enough to destroy it.

Just like a machine that uses 500l of diesel per hour, is as big as a house and cuts oranges in 3 pieces is is a russian electric machine for cutting oranges into 4, the t14 is a next generation stealth parade tank

The stealth is so good, you couldn’t even see the hundreds of T14s in the last parade.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Stealth tanks are the different faction, they must have been taking time developing Iron Curtain

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Stealth tanks are the different faction, they must have been taking time developing Iron Curtain

Nothing here but us trees

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think this is the thread where we talked about the US airman that leaked a bunch of confidential stuff to Discord, some related to Ukraine.

Anyway, he pleaded guilty and is hoping for 11 years instead of 25ish:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/03/discord-leaker-jack-teixeira-pleads-guilty-seeks-light-11-year-sentence/

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... Don't you normally negotiate that sort of thing before making the plea?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

... Don't you normally negotiate that sort of thing before making the plea?

It's more of the possible range of sentencing. Had it gone to trial he could have been facing up to 60 years.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I know he was a chuddy idiot but I feel bad for the loser for throwing away his life (and probably plenty of Ukrainians) right out of the starting gates in the stupidest way possible.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Freakazoid_ posted:

Given how relatively cheap it is to make effective drones, perhaps that philosophy is being applied to the rest of their military? If it works for drones, maybe it'll work for tanks!

If you do not already keep up with military development and procurement stuff, everything is turning into drones or drone assisted in all the branches. The US army really likes the idea of swarms of pick up truck sized AI tank and human murdering machines.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Russia reaches into the absolute bottom of the Soviet stockpiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Freakazoid_ posted:

And who knows for far it'll go from there!