Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

People who think it's okay to tank a "flu-like" illness every few months can go gently caress themselves.

well, i have some good news for you: they are :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Soap Scum posted:

claim you're starting a new job in a childcare setting. those are more or less the magic words. like just "oh i'm starting some teaching at a pre-school" or whatever.

‘Volunteering at my church’s daycare’ works too, without having to prove employment

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Soap Scum posted:

the study it's quoting from is here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10768653/

so feel free to read the whole thing for context. but the TLDR in the abstract is "longer time since your last MMR shot seems related to less protection against infection."

i agree the quote sounds weird but yeah the "concern" is that "we might need a third shot" basically

they made us all get a booster when there was an outbreak of mumps at my place of work about a decade ago. Think I’m still covered?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Oracle posted:

they made us all get a booster when there was an outbreak of mumps at my place of work about a decade ago. Think I’m still covered?

the article says:

quote:

The median interval between MMR doses was 13.2 years, and the median time since the last dose was 10.4 years. The seropositivity rate was 32.7% by ELISA and 75.3% by CLIA, and a strong positive correlation was found between the tests.

my (very basic) understanding is that CLIA is generally more precise than ELISA, so there's probably something like 75% chance you've got sufficient titers. i guess depends on your personal threshold whether you think that's worth taking action or not given your day to day risk and such

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
https://twitter.com/SolidEvidence/status/1764354321376772148

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Flu C was prevalent? holy poo poo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
one aspect of technology and insane-o moore's law computing growth that's genuinely astonishing these days is sequencing dang ol everything.

even 12-13 years ago during my MPH courses the computing resources were still not super available or accessible for whimsical genomic surveillance like it seems like is commonplace now. made me feel old even back then lol

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Zugzwang posted:

Decided to look up Flu C and learned this lovely tidbit.

quote:

Influenza C virus currently has 6 lineages, which were estimated to have emerged around 1896 AD.[8]

Six lineages in the past 130 years. How many new lineages has covid created this month? Yeah, it's just the flu.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/IsraelRadar_com/status/1764698245572276513

C'mon Covid, you got one shot at this to redeem yourself for everything youve done🙏

Considering in like the last 48 hours the heads of his press dept. quit, Hezbollah claims they stopped 2 incursions into Israel by Golani brigade, and a US embassy staff are investigating one of their diplomats found dead in their apartments, It's probably equally likely Bibi has a bad case of the viral Mossaditis

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

It's from one site so as someone said on the comments it could be a random super shedder.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

one aspect of technology and insane-o moore's law computing growth that's genuinely astonishing these days is sequencing dang ol everything.

even 12-13 years ago during my MPH courses the computing resources were still not super available or accessible for whimsical genomic surveillance like it seems like is commonplace now. made me feel old even back then lol

With all this technology we are surely well positioned to tackle the next pandemic.

*finger to ear* oh, oh poo poo :cry:

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
super shidder hehe

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Hey guys, I was just mega exposed to covid , and I'm immunocomprised and somewhat freaking out. I have already used all the free tests the usps sends out, what is the current best way to order cheap/reliable covid tests online?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kwolok posted:

Hey guys, I was just mega exposed to covid , and I'm immunocomprised and somewhat freaking out. I have already used all the free tests the usps sends out, what is the current best way to order cheap/reliable covid tests online?

Depends on your definition of cheap, but Aptitude Metrix tests are $25 a pop with a $35 one time purchase of a reader, and are as close as you can get to at home PCR quality.

In the meantime, you might benefit from saline rinses (neti pot) and gargling with CPC mouthwash. No guarantees it helps, but some evidence it might, and it can't hurt.

Good luck

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You might also want to get the Paxlovid ball rolling, so if you do test positive, you can start it as soon as possible. Even just calling local drugstores to find one that has it in stock couldn’t hurt.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

You might also want to get the Paxlovid ball rolling, so if you do test positive, you can start it as soon as possible. Even just calling local drugstores to find one that has it in stock couldn’t hurt.

yeah. https://www.test2treat.org

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Zantie posted:

It's from one site so as someone said on the comments it could be a random super shedder.
Might be? No idea about Flu C specifically, but Flu A/B are hard to detect in wastewater even with digital PCR. People just don't fecally shed as many Flu virions as they do SARS-CoV-2.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Good point. We don't have a whole lot to compare to with Flu C since yeah, like no one tests for it anyway.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Don't use a neti pot if you have a deviated septum.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

cenotaph posted:

I have to live my life.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

cenotaph posted:

lockdown

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

getting things done

https://twitter.com/SenWarren/status/1764789042418221456?t=YX6IdBTiHCQ370qMcFl_Lw&s=19

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol didn't Warren vote to end the emergency declaration

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm honestly impressed that she managed to unite everybody against her. Covid thread type people, antivaxxers, minimizers, liberals who think that covid only killed chuds... Warren is gifted at being unpopular.

Apr 7, 2003

Joe Biden has managed a similar feat tbh, he's alienated every part of the voter base that elected him. They both spring from a diseased concept of how governance should work

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

There's an org out there called covid survivors for change whose entire mandate is to suggest to lawmakers that these memorials are created lol

Fuckin THE LIBS

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Will this bill also remember those who are killed by COVID next week?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Will this bill also remember those who are killed by COVID next week?

not until March 2025

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gunshow Poophole posted:

There's an org out there called covid survivors for change whose entire mandate is to suggest to lawmakers that these memorials are created lol

Fuckin THE LIBS

As long as we remember them and keep them in our prayers they're not truly dead. *Gestures at mile long marble wall* zero total fatalities from covid, time to open er' up!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Joe Biden has managed a similar feat tbh, he's alienated every part of the voter base that elected him. They both spring from a diseased concept of how governance should work

This is mostly true, but let's not forget that a decent chunk of what our economy and government is designed to do is purely to perpetuate the liberal worldview in a vacuum, free of the influence of things like 'facts' or 'material reality'. As improbable as it might seem, there's a sizable plurality of Biden voters who are still very vocally insistent that he's the greatest president yet, or at least, he's not mTrup and if you're disappointed by him you just need to set your expectations lower otherwise you're a wrecker leftist because it's not the misery machine political apparatus that's wrong, it's you for wanting better things like 'not being specifically excluded from basic rights' or 'a government that isn't actively condoning your destruction'.

...whether or not that's a large enough plurality to carry an election is speculation outside the scope of this thread, but the default response to current events remains relevant here. 'lol, lmao'

Mason Dixon posted:

Before trying Walgreens, make sure you don't live in a US state where getting the MMR vaccine at a pharmacy requires a doctor's prescription (there's a handful of states with that requirement, easy google search). If you're in one of those states, you'll either need to get a prescription or instead get the shot from your local health department. Either way, ask whoever's giving you the MMR shot to make sure it's not expired. I found out both of those situations are possible when I was trying to get one last month, so I'll be trying my local health department next (I don't "think" those have any prescription requirements for MMR).

Yeah, easiest just to google your own state, but for the curious there appears to be a decent overall writeup on the issue at https://naspa.us/blog/resource/pharmacist-authority-to-immunize/ in a pdf report (current as of last April, at present).

The basic summary is that in the vast majority of US states, pharmacists are authorized to determine whether you're eligible for a vaccine on the appropriate vaccination schedule whether for children or adults, and to administer those vaccines. There's a few states where this is not the case, and even routine vaccines may either require a prescription, or cannot be administered by pharmacists at all. In situations where pharmacists aren't eligible to prescribe or administer vaccines, contacting a general practitioner or a health department will be necessary. Otherwise, you may still be at the whims of individual pharmacies as to vaccine availability and whether or not they personally share your concerns about being up to date on a particular vaccine, but at least in that case it's easy to poll a second or third opinion.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

roffels posted:

What's the gatekeeping like in regards to MMR boosters?

None. Just go up to the pharmacist and tell 'em you want an MMR course. Skip the doctor entirely. You don't need one.

This is how I got a full MMR series again a couple years back. I got zero hassle about it.

Edit:

Mason Dixon posted:

Before trying Walgreens, make sure you don't live in a US state where getting the MMR vaccine at a pharmacy requires a doctor's prescription (there's a handful of states with that requirement, easy google search). If you're in one of those states, you'll either need to get a prescription or instead get the shot from your local health department. Either way, ask whoever's giving you the MMR shot to make sure it's not expired. I found out both of those situations are possible when I was trying to get one last month, so I'll be trying my local health department next (I don't "think" those have any prescription requirements for MMR).

Welp, that's news to me. That's some serious bullshit. I've never needed a prescription for any of my vaccines. I just have the pharmacist shoot me up with whatever I want. Though I guess I haven't tried asking for anything too exotic.

Kreeblah has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Mar 5, 2024

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

None. Just go up to the pharmacist and tell 'em you want an MMR course. Skip the doctor entirely. You don't need one.

This is how I got a full MMR series again a couple years back. I got zero hassle about it.

i got angrily turned away the first time i tried to get it as an adult (in 2020) by the provider telling me "you're not allowed to just shop for vaccines." lol you sure are

next time i said i'm starting at an elementary school and didn't get further qs

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

thank you senator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfrJzdx7DA

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Soap Scum posted:

i got angrily turned away the first time i tried to get it as an adult (in 2020) by the provider telling me "you're not allowed to just shop for vaccines." lol you sure are

next time i said i'm starting at an elementary school and didn't get further qs

I don't even know what the point is of trying to tell somebody that. Maybe it's because I've spent too much time here with Max Titers folks, but I can't imagine that somebody who really wants a vaccine wouldn't just find somebody else and lie to them to get the vaccine they want.

Worst I've ever gotten is, "Yeah, it's gonna be an hour wait while we get it ready. You good with that?"

Apr 7, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

I don't even know what the point is of trying to tell somebody that. Maybe it's because I've spent too much time here with Max Titers folks, but I can't imagine that somebody who really wants a vaccine wouldn't just find somebody else and lie to them to get the vaccine they want.

Worst I've ever gotten is, "Yeah, it's gonna be an hour wait while we get it ready. You good with that?"

A certain kind of person loves to gatekeep their lessers

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kreeblah posted:

I don't even know what the point is of trying to tell somebody that.

Pharmacy techs are the thin green line between civilization and chaos.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

i've mentioned this story in thread months/years ago but

a pharmacist i (used to) know basically gloated to me about how she would deny hospitalized patients' paxlovid prescriptions (which were written by doctors! in the hospital! for the hospitalized patients!) if they had taken paxlovid ever before in their life because "it's not approved to be used twice" and "i'm strict =)"

and yes that was the last time i ever spoke to that person lol

anyway i think a lot of people are kinda like that

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
lmao :ok:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/white-house-lifting-its-covid-19-testing-rule-for-people-around-biden posted:

White House lifting its COVID-19 testing rule for people around Biden

The White House on Monday lifted its COVID-19 testing requirement for those who plan to be in close contact with President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris and their spouses, bringing to an end the last coronavirus prevention protocol at the White House.

The White House said the change aligns its policies with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance.
(..)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

haha

when u believe ur own myth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010