Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's sensible right-wing antisemitism, not dangerous left-wing antisemitism like Hitler did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
And we're off

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Buddy I have never been 'on'

A roll, fire, the wagon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Galloway is a baffling politician to me. Like maybe 60% his takes are actually very on point, but the remainder are absolute horseshit. He seems generally alright on foreign policy and economics but dear god he can be pretty reactionary socially and the gleeful transphobia is grim. I don't know how much of this is actually what he genuinely believes and how much is him actively playing to religious conservatives in his constituency, but I guess that's besides the point. I do think he's a narcissist, and he's clearly primarily interested in George Galloway first and foremost.

Still, many problematic issues aside, he's consistently been good on Palestine and he's positioning himself as a left-wing populist, so if nothing else it'll be good to have someone in the commons actually calling the centrists out, and it's nice to see the major parties losing their minds about him. I'm interested to see how things play out.
For both good and ill, he's like if you made a golem out of shite and filled its head with the letters page of the Morning Star.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Right. Google's not giving me anything useful, and you lot know things so I'm asking here.

What's different between the generic Salamol inhalers and the older Salbutamol inhalers?

I ask because most of my adult life I've had a blue ventolin/salbutamol inhaler. Never had any issues with it. Worked great.

However in recent years, they've been giving me these lovely little salamol generics that crap out after a few activations, and something in their composition gives me palpitations and makes me feel extremely jittery after using them (I have a similar problem with caffeine and a bunch of other medications).

I can't find anything specifying the difference apart from an asthma forum claiming (unsourced) that the generics use ethanol? Apparently if the prescription specifically says ventolin you can get the older style so I might try that, but it does mean running the gauntlet of trying to get through to the GP surgery.

No differences in particular that I've ever heard of. If you're feeling a difference though you *must* speak to your GP and get them to write your prescription as branded Ventolin. Do not let them write it generically and then add 'ventolin brand please' in the notes afterwards. That does not count.

If you have a good relationship with your pharmacy you can get away with asking them to swap it *before* you leave with it, but that won't always work and is highly dependent on the exact person you speak to and whether or not they have Ventolins kicking about. I'll do it if people ask but it's a lot, lot, lot easier if the prescription is branded.
Good luck:)

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

HopperUK posted:

No differences in particular that I've ever heard of. If you're feeling a difference though you *must* speak to your GP and get them to write your prescription as branded Ventolin.

Ventolin is pretty cheap and not really different in cost to any generic, they can do the same with Salamol which is about three times the cost but I guess compared to some stuff pretty cheap so they should be fine with it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Starbucks posted:

Ventolin is pretty cheap and not really different in cost to any generic, they can do the same with Salamol which is about three times the cost but I guess compared to some stuff pretty cheap so they should be fine with it

I thought Salamol was the problem brand:) either way get it specific

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The pharmacy do have ventolin, but they need to see it written as that on the prescription, so it sounds like I need to go back to the gp.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Rwanda bill has been rejected at the House of Lords by a majority of 102 :toot:

It's great seeing the one thing that Rishi focused on being blasted out of the water like this. He's not going to take it well, and I'm looking forward to his next round of interviews

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Actually when he's involved they're called overviews.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

fuctifino posted:

The Rwanda bill has been rejected at the House of Lords by a majority of 102 :toot:

It's great seeing the one thing that Rishi focused on being blasted out of the water like this. He's not going to take it well, and I'm looking forward to his next round of interviews

Something something democracy is under threat

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Galloway is a dickhead but I can't deny that I find watching him run rings round the kind of decorum-brained journos who think "don't you respect the Prime Minister" is some sort of gotcha question highly entertaining

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As said, Galloway is very useful when he's pissing off the people you hate.

Thing is to never assume that that makes him a good person.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Nobody Interesting posted:

Something something democracy is under threat

To be fair, the House of Lords is the polar opposite of democracy, so he wouldn't be lying. lol

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The House of Lords fill that weird gap where it's a completely undemocratic group of utter ghouls who wouldn't be anywhere near power if they didn't have money/connections/dirt on certain former PMs

But because they're unelected ghouls they don't really give a poo poo about lobbying groups and occasionally give the Correct outcome.

Obviously tiny Rishi can just force it through but it makes him sweat a bit, which is nice.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am looking forward to Rush Sunak calling a press conference at 7pm tonight to complain about the woke Lords.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Lords Spiritual have been some of the most vocally opposed to the Rwanda bill so will lol if Rishi tries to scrap the magic granddads and ends up disestablishing the Church.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

Galloway is a baffling politician to me. Like maybe 60% his takes are actually very on point, but the remainder are absolute horseshit. He seems generally alright on foreign policy and economics but dear god he can be pretty reactionary socially and the gleeful transphobia is grim. I don't know how much of this is actually what he genuinely believes and how much is him actively playing to religious conservatives in his constituency, but I guess that's besides the point. I do think he's a narcissist, and he's clearly primarily interested in George Galloway first and foremost.

Still, many problematic issues aside, he's consistently been good on Palestine and he's positioning himself as a left-wing populist, so if nothing else it'll be good to have someone in the commons actually calling the centrists out, and it's nice to see the major parties losing their minds about him. I'm interested to see how things play out.

You're right that he has been consistent on Palestine for decades. Some folk on the dead bird site claim he's jumping on the pro-Palestine bandwagon but assuredly he is not. One of his ex wives was Palestinian. (Ed: to be clear I'm talking about Galloway's wife!)
I do feel rather aggrieved when some on the left start plumping him (and Chris Williamson) in with Corbyn "he should start a party with Corbyn" type comments. Other than the Palestinian position, I cannot think he has much in common with Corbyn at all. Perhaps Corbyn could do with a few lessons in assertiveness & sticking it to the man from him but that's about all - but then he wouldn't be Corbyn would he.

I think it highlights the point that people are more complicated than being 'left' or 'right', 'pro this' or 'anti that' and binary divisions are not helpful.
I've found this with quite a lot of people I know, you'll start from a place of agreement on some issue eg Palestine and then as you push on they do shift and make you go "OMG" - I do know people with start from a pro-Palestine position and then do end up in a genuinely antisemitic place. Or say agreeing on various social issues then suddenly come out with 'women have a right to say who is allowed in the ladies' powder room' and all that implies (to clarify - they mean ban transwomen which would be apparent from further conversation).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 4, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The National American Woman Suffrage Association and Women's Christian Temperance Union were instrumental in getting segregation laws passed in the American South, leading to separate 'white' and 'colored' washrooms, so they might be anachronistic racists instead.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Galloway is very much a face-eating leopard of an MP (the cat metaphor is fully intentional here).

Right now he's savaging people we don't like, so clap and cheer while it lasts, because he will happily turn on anyone who doesn't advance the agenda of one George Galloway MP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm okay with an agenda of one George Galloway MP (maximum).

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I was in Trafalgar Square during a Galloway speech once and the only coherent thing he said the entire time was "Foxy...foxy Liam Fox"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This is what Corbyn is suing Fromage for:

Spoilered as twitter link for GBNews Fromage show video:

https://x.com/AkanKwaku/status/1764686122838298751?s=20

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

One bit of LOL news from today, Fox has discontinued suing someone who called him racist
https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1764622703640633854

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Jeremy Corbyn is....the Jews?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The man who used to sing Hitler Youth songs? Who believes in the Great Replacement conspiracy theory and calls things he doesn't like "cultural marxism"? He's accusing people of subscribing to an antisemitic conspiracy theory?

Man made entirely of poo poo: "Wow there sure are a lot of people around here with poo poo on them!"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Everyone dislikes Farage. Even Laurence Fox posted today that he wouldn't shag him

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1764647575024468233

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

The House of Lords fill that weird gap where it's a completely undemocratic group of utter ghouls who wouldn't be anywhere near power if they didn't have money/connections/dirt on certain former PMs

But because they're unelected ghouls they don't really give a poo poo about lobbying groups and occasionally give the Correct outcome.

Obviously tiny Rishi can just force it through but it makes him sweat a bit, which is nice.

He might not have time, depending on the election. It has to go back through the whole process, then be approved, then Royal Assent (whoever the Royal is in question by that time). Clock's ticking.

Edit: if they're really determined and keep at it they can delay it a full year, which would absolutely spike Rishi's guns.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 4, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The royal rear end en't working very well at the moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New conspiracy theory, queens's not dead, she just phased invisible into the UV part of the spectrum so we can't see her.

Whenever Charles thinks he's sitting on one of the monarch chairs he's actually sitting on the queen, who is now oscillating around soft X-ray frequency.

This is what caused his arse cancer.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You're right that he has been consistent on Palestine for decades. Some folk on the dead bird site claim he's jumping on the pro-Palestine bandwagon but assuredly he is not. One of his ex wives was Palestinian.

Our Nige's wife is German, isn't she

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

If this goes ahead no doubt we will see the media trotting out Corbyn calling Hezbollah and Hamas "our friends", praising the antisemitic mural on social media, his forward in 'Imperialism: A Study' and any association with DYR.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

He's been successful with this kind of thing before, and not so long ago at that, so I'd expect the meeja to treat it gingerly.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yeah they'll just ignore it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Then again they're always attacking Harry.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dabir posted:

Our Nige's wife is German, isn't she

Was.

She divorced him for being a racist oval office shortly after the Brexit referendum.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
wow he kept it so well hidden before then, fooled us all

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can imagine in the case of any woman who could tolerate to marry Nigel Farage it went from the 'acceptable racism' against Africans, Asians, Southern Europeans, and Slavs, to the 'unacceptable racism' against her.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair with many couples who have children sometimes you stay together for the kids for longer than you should, especially when we all know that he doesn't believe half the poo poo he says he's just doing it for the grift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do we know that? I've never had the impression that he was anything other than an extremely racist and unpleasant man in every respect.