Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I summon, blue eyes white savior

e: gently caress, have a palette cleanser

e2: I did not realize he also had blue eyes :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
So if only an Act of Congress can disqualify insurrectionists, what happens if Congress is filled with fellow insurrectionists?

I had tacos last night as well, but I made mine. Also I ate 4, because they are tiny and watching punchsport is hungry business.

Carnitas with storebought guacamole, Pico Pica hot sauce, sweet yellow onion, a bunch of cilantro, and a pinch of queso. Feel free to remove all the tasty disgusting ingredients (guac, onion, cilanto) if you do not like them when you replicate this menu.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

test post attachment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ether Frenzy posted:

So if only an Act of Congress can disqualify insurrectionists, what happens if Congress is filled with fellow insurrectionists?

Seems we are about to find out.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
DONT bring Derek Lokey into the culture wars

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

congress is supposed to be the check on the power of the president, and he was impeached twice and in an impeachment a convicted person can be barred from re-election. But the senate was structured from the outset to prevent the free states from taking slavery away from the slave states, i.e. it's undemocratic, and that means even if the majority of americans agree that the insurrectionist shouldn't be president again, you need a two thirds majority of senators to convict and that means any impeached official that still has political clout in their own party cannot be convicted.

States obviously cannot bypass the privilege clearly given to congress as part of the impeachment rules. As usual the only solution is constitutional amendment which requires an even bigger hurdle to jump over. Or for republicans to repudiate trump, whose populist message continues to hold sway over the republican base, so they don't dare. Some people think maybe if trump is convicted of crimes serious enough to send him to jail, they'll finally be brave enough to face their base and say "it's over" but I actually don't think they have even that much spine.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Don't fool yourself, if by some fluke he ever sees any sort of applied justice the first order of business for the moderates in the GOP will be organizing a prison break. They will never turn on him.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

test post attachment

If I want to edit out an attachment, how does that work

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I summon, blue eyes white savior

e: gently caress, have a palette cleanser

e2: I did not realize he also had blue eyes :laffo:

My grandpa’s deck has no pathetic cards, Kaiba

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If I want to edit out an attachment, how does that work

I think it's not available yet but on the to-do list.

E: You can also ask a mod/admin, if an edit is necessary.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

the moderates in the GOP

who?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Leperflesh posted:

congress is supposed to be the check on the power of the president, and he was impeached twice and in an impeachment a convicted person can be barred from re-election. But the senate was structured from the outset to prevent the free states from taking slavery away from the slave states, i.e. it's undemocratic, and that means even if the majority of americans agree that the insurrectionist shouldn't be president again, you need a two thirds majority of senators to convict and that means any impeached official that still has political clout in their own party cannot be convicted.

States obviously cannot bypass the privilege clearly given to congress as part of the impeachment rules. As usual the only solution is constitutional amendment which requires an even bigger hurdle to jump over. Or for republicans to repudiate trump, whose populist message continues to hold sway over the republican base, so they don't dare. Some people think maybe if trump is convicted of crimes serious enough to send him to jail, they'll finally be brave enough to face their base and say "it's over" but I actually don't think they have even that much spine.

Yea, we're clearly in territory that the founding fathers never envisioned, that someone like Trump would be this corrupt & criminal, but his party would still be backing him fully. Our constitution really sucks right now because the parties have been on a long slow decline in terms of getting along, and we've fully entered into team politics where what is right or wrong doesn't matter a whole lot as long as my team is winning. Barring the US breaking the current stalemate we're in, the foreseeable future is going to suck.

Long-term, I feel like our only hope is the Dems finding someone as charismatic as Obama again, along with Trump completely emptying out the Republican party, and the Dems somehow pull a super majority in both houses. This time they would need to actually do something about the structural weaknesses of our constitution, like ending gerrymandering nationwide, eliminating corporate money in politics, and a whole litany of things, but the chances of that happening are so small I'd need a microscope to see them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, we're clearly in territory that the founding fathers never envisioned, that someone like Trump would be this corrupt & criminal, but his party would still be backing him fully. Our constitution really sucks right now because the parties have been on a long slow decline in terms of getting along, and we've fully entered into team politics where what is right or wrong doesn't matter a whole lot as long as my team is winning. Barring the US breaking the current stalemate we're in, the foreseeable future is going to suck.

Long-term, I feel like our only hope is the Dems finding someone as charismatic as Obama again, along with Trump completely emptying out the Republican party, and the Dems somehow pull a super majority in both houses. This time they would need to actually do something about the structural weaknesses of our constitution, like ending gerrymandering nationwide, eliminating corporate money in politics, and a whole litany of things, but the chances of that happening are so small I'd need a microscope to see them.

Yeah the issue is even with a super majority, many of those seats would be held by someone who knows they're in a swing district and vulnerable. That's how you get the manchins of the world, nominally D but basically an R who supports their local unions or an R who doesn't hate muslims or you know, whatever single issue disqualifies them from being an actual R. And also just a lot of center-right dems who are too chickenshit to risk their re-election on taking any kind of principled stand.

Add in the insane money involved in politics still, the problems with rampant gerrymandering, the packed supreme court, and the general fact of the american public's stupid wishful thinking mythology-poisoned apathetic racist violent consumerist tribalist culture and here we are.

All that said, I have seen things change, in my lifetime. It's deeply frustrating how slow things change in ten years, but sometimes startling how much things can change in 30. I know, "tell that to the people suffering right now", incrementalism sucks, etc. etc. but I feel like that's just how America rolls generally, unless we're in for another civil war, which I don't really see working because we're not divided along a clear and obvious geographical line of demarcation we can arrange ourselves to fight across.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Eugene Debs walked so that Trump could rundrive a golf cart.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Air Skwirl posted:

I get attacking John Oliver for not being funny, I think he's funny but humor is very subjective. Bill Maher platforms fascists.

Picturing the mythical 2024 Bill Maher viewer who comes away thinking "hmm yes, Ms. Coulter did make some good points."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

General Dog posted:

Picturing the mythical 2024 Bill Maher viewer who comes away thinking "hmm yes, Ms. Coulter did make some good points."

She is somehow not even the worst person he's brought on as a guest and treated their abhorrent views with respect.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I haven't thought of Bill Maher in awhile, but looking at a list of episodes, almost all of them just look like truly dreadful listens. I can't even pick which sounds the worst, maybe:

616 Benjamin Netanyahu, Michael Smerconish, Neil DeGrasse Tyson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Real_Time_with_Bill_Maher_episodes#Season_21_(2023)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Kalli posted:

I haven't thought of Bill Maher in awhile, but looking at a list of episodes, almost all of them just look like truly dreadful listens. I can't even pick which sounds the worst, maybe:

The meme is overexposed right now, but talk about a dream blunt rotation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kalli posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Real_Time_with_Bill_Maher_episodes#Season_21_(2023)

I was thinking of Milo, but nope, you got that beat.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kalli posted:

I know in the grand scheme of things this guy is completely irrelevant and shouldn’t even be on anyone’s radar but I just find him so goddamn annoying

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Freaquency posted:

I know in the grand scheme of things this guy is completely irrelevant and shouldn’t even be on anyone’s radar but I just find him so goddamn annoying

I thankfully don't know who he is, I was saying that was worse because of Bibi

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Air Skwirl posted:

She is somehow not even the worst person he's brought on as a guest and treated their abhorrent views with respect.

Pretty sure Bill and Ann dated / hosed for a bit so little wonder why he allows her unhinged rants go unchallenged.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Pretty sure Bill and Ann dated / hosed for a bit so little wonder why he allows her unhinged rants go unchallenged.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, but he's had plenty of other psychos spouting bullshit that I'm pretty sure he never hosed.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Dated in 1994. Wow. TIL.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Neil Degrass Tyson I haven’t paid much attention too since people started making fun of his tweets talking about how fantasy shows and stuff wouldn’t happen in real life.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

bobjr posted:

Neil Degrass Tyson I haven’t paid much attention too since people started making fun of his tweets talking about how fantasy shows and stuff wouldn’t happen in real life.

In addition to that annoying habit, he’s also a sex pest.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what?

today is a milkshake duck day for ol' leperflesh I guess

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

seiferguy posted:

Automakers completely lost the plot on EVs. They were supposed to be compact / standard cars to remove our usage of gas, but instead they're super premium cars with sub 3 second 0-60s that gently caress up the tires. Now they're getting bigger and bigger and we have a fuckin EV hummer that's as bad for the environment than a normal hummer.
I saw the Rivian electric Amazon delivery van for the first time today. That’s another place EVs will make a lot of sense, they can charge overnight when they aren’t making deliveries. That, and other work vans for like plumbers and electricians where they don’t drive all that far every day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

what?

today is a milkshake duck day for ol' leperflesh I guess

I don't want to defend him, but the accusations are inappropriate touching of fans, not like Cosby level poo poo. Still horrible but there's different degrees.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

CannonFodder posted:

I saw the Rivian electric Amazon delivery van for the first time today. That’s another place EVs will make a lot of sense, they can charge overnight when they aren’t making deliveries. That, and other work vans for like plumbers and electricians where they don’t drive all that far every day.

In what might have been the biggest impact from Dejoy is the post office replaced their whole fleet with gas-powered cars when electric would have been ideal. Post office vehicles don't go far from Post Offices and stop a lot, making them an ideal use for an electric vehicle.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't want to defend him, but the accusations are inappropriate touching of fans, not like Cosby level poo poo. Still horrible but there's different degrees.

Nah, one of them was Cosby poo poo:

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/29/8934845/neil-degrasse-tyson-misconduct-allegation-investigation-museum

quote:

The American Museum of Natural History, where Tyson has directed the planetarium since 1996, began its investigation when Amet, Watson, and the two other women came forward. One, physics and astronomy professor Katelyn Allers, says that Tyson tried to look at her tattoo under her dress and touched her in a way that made her uncomfortable at a party after a 2009 meeting of the American Astronomical Society. Another, who has remained anonymous, told BuzzFeed News that Tyson had propositioned her at a 2010 party for museum employees.

In a 2018 Facebook post, Tyson responded that he never intended to make Allers feel uncomfortable, and that his behavior toward Watson was meant to be friendly, nothing more. He has not responded publicly to the anonymous woman’s allegation, or responded to Vox’s request for comment.

Amet, meanwhile, says that during a visit to Tyson’s apartment when the two were astronomy graduate students, Tyson offered her a drink of water. The next thing she knew, he was performing oral sex on her, she said. Then he climbed on top of her and began penetrating her, she said, before she passed out again.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Sort of. He has a straight-up date rape allegation from college that came out like 10 years ago. He flatly denies that.

The other ones are more like inappropriate behavior, but there are enough to make you wonder about the first.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mea Culpa, I knew the tattoo one, didn't know that last one.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Air Skwirl posted:

Dig deeper. 80s claim that he drugged and raped a woman.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Either way, dude should be gone from public appearances just for making science seem lame as hell. Dude doesn't have a drop of Sagan in him let alone Bill Nye.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

swickles posted:

Sort of. He has a straight-up date rape allegation from college that came out like 10 years ago. He flatly denies that.

The other ones are more like inappropriate behavior, but there are enough to make you wonder about the first.

Yeah, where there's smoke, there's fire. Honestly it's sad too, because I remember when it seemed like he was going to help be the face of pushing science and astronomy more greatly into the public eye, not that much came of it.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, where there's smoke, there's fire. Honestly it's sad too, because I remember when it seemed like he was going to help be the face of pushing science and astronomy more greatly into the public eye, not that much came of it.

Nah, he seemed like he would but was too smug of a know it all. Idk if it was the weed that helped him, but Carl Sagan absolutely nailed how to speak about science on a level everyone can understand and not come across condescending.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Over in the UK they got Brian Cox and Dara O'Brian doing their science shows. A literal rock musician (who also has a science doctorate) and a professional stand-up comic.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Over in the UK they got Brian Cox and Dara O'Brian doing their science shows. A literal rock musician (who also has a science doctorate) and a professional stand-up comic.

Do you mean Brian May? Unless Brian Cox also has a PhD...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

swickles posted:

Do you mean Brian May? Unless Brian Cox also has a PhD...

Does Brian Cox not have a PhD or whatever the English equivalent? I mostly know him from appearances on QI and other panel shows and just assumed