Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My cousin in law was talking about how great self driving cars will be because average drivers are really stupid, then followed up by saying that he was surprised that the tires on his Tesla were bald. Like worn through the tread showing steel wires bald. They were only six years old and he's never rotated them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

My cousin in law was talking about how great self driving cars will be because average drivers are really stupid, then followed up by saying that he was surprised that the tires on his Tesla were bald. Like worn through the tread showing steel wires bald. They were only six years old and he's never rotated them!

Ask him why he thinks self driving cars are exempt from stopping distances and the laws of physics in general.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Uthor posted:

your cousin in law is also one of the really stupid drivers, who theoretically if self driving cars were real, would be better off not driving

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Scratch Monkey posted:

God they are such loving SIMPS.

I genuinely struggle to understand why some people will happily slurp corporate cock when said corporation charges them over the odds for a lovely product. I have very little brand loyalty when it comes to anything because most stuff sucks more than it should these days. And when something is especially bad I am very happy to poo poo on the company that made it.

They are either investors (in which case why draw attention to this?) or just love the attention of having a lovely product most people don't I guess?!

Uthor posted:

'will be' is a funny one because yeah any tech has the potential to be amazing if given enough time, effort and money. But it would be better for society as a whole if people didn't need cars on the road to begin with...

If self driving cars ever make it to where I live I'm going to have so much fun loving around with them popping cones on the hood, painting them into boxes their programming won't allow them to drive over... There are a good few 'rules' they need to program these things with that if able to ignore would make them quite dangerous to others and I'm not sure how they get around that except by having some poor fucker in a 3rd world country remote in because we all know they're not going to pay anyone properly to do that job. It's like those 'self driving' Starship delivery bots that people were blown away by that turned out to be driven by someone on another continent with really bad Internet connections. :v:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 4, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

:lol:

Anyway if you were playing at home thinking these weren't going to be poo poo, more fool you I guess?

https://twitter.com/ChiarelloERISA/status/1764357938070626653?t=XEPbD6vKx79pQfmvPWIbUg&s=19

It failed catastrophically, but "lOvE mY tEsLa".

Ya can't park there, mate!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you don't say you love your Tesla before and after mentioning that it broke down, Elon personally cancels your warranty.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darchangel posted:

It failed catastrophically, but "lOvE mY tEsLa".

Ya can't park there, mate!

He can, and he has.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Powershift posted:

If you don't say you love your Tesla before and after mentioning that it broke down, Elon personally cancels your warranty.

I don't think this should be discounted as a legitimate concern, tbh.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I like that the Tesla community is so toxic that you have to preface every criticism with how much love you have for the brand or the mob will turn on you for voicing minor nitpicks like, "my car has turned into a brick and can't be repaired because the company doesn't staff its buildings"

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Early adopters and the sunk cost fallacy.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Tesla is probably one of the only times in tech where any dipshit off the street could do a better job

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Powershift posted:

given his personal vendetta-settling with people online via twitter, that's entirely plausible

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
The suspension on the cybertrk appears to be exaclty as bad as it seemed:

Kit Walker posted:

https://jalopnik.com/a-tesla-cybertruck-crashed-into-the-beverly-hills-hotel-1851305625

I'm sure no one is surprised to find out that it was actually the car's owner that crashed it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

This

Q_res posted:

Powershift posted:

I don't think this should be discounted as a legitimate concern, tbh.

Cactus Ghost posted:

given his personal vendetta-settling with people online via twitter, that's entirely plausible

and this

The Door Frame posted:

I like that the Tesla community is so toxic that you have to preface every criticism with how much love you have for the brand or the mob will turn on you for voicing minor nitpicks like, "my car has turned into a brick and can't be repaired because the company doesn't staff its buildings"

Failson posted:

The suspension on the cybertrk appears to be exaclty as bad as it seemed:

I love how these fuckwits are constantly asking the CEO of multiple companies to personally intervene and he loving does, just often enough to give them hope.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I got permanently banned from Twitter from zero strikes for saying that like Grimes, the cybertruck was ugly poo poo for losers

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Ether Frenzy posted:

I got permanently banned from Twitter from zero strikes for saying that like Grimes, the cybertruck was ugly poo poo for losers

"personal attacks against rich and/or white people", its right there in the community standards guidelines

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I brought my car into the dealer to get something checked and they gave me a 2024 Mercedes C-Class as a loaner.

Every.loving.control is either behind or on a touch screen, and all the steering wheel buttons are capacitive, what in the gently caress. In the space of an hour I have rapidly come to hate this car because of that.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I brought my car into the dealer to get something checked and they gave me a 2024 Mercedes C-Class as a loaner.

Every.loving.control is either behind or on a touch screen, and all the steering wheel buttons are capacitive, what in the gently caress. In the space of an hour I have rapidly come to hate this car because of that.

Because there were literally no other cars at an airport Enterprise I once ended up in a fairly recent BMW 3 series of some description. Horrible for all the reasons you describe. And the lane departure system definitely tried to crash the car on the highway a few times. Super cool.

My folks had an e46 and an e39 and they were sublime. WTF Germans?!?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Those capacitive buttons are the worst and need to die.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Interesting conversation caught on video from Fisker's head tech saying they have good techs and bad techs and now after they sent a bad tech and someone has reviewed the guy's Fisker in this state and panned it they want to send a good tech out?

Customer service in the modern era is so piss poor.

*edit: also this call is a PERFECT example of saying a lot of words to sort something that could be wrapped up in a few sentences. People need to stop doing this.

https://x.com/RjeyTech/status/1764124119988125777?s=20

The reviewwwwwwwwwww in case you care:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xWXRk3yaSw

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 5, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol the hell is with that guy's opener, "*maniacal laugh* oh I'm just gonna pull your fingernails out hahaha"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

I was trying to figure out how to open the sun shade on the sunroof and was looking for a button and then realized the long piece of plastic near the cabin lights was a capacitive strip that you slid your finger on and I wanted to scream.

Like, if they worked perfectly, great, but they are janky as hell. There's no precision, good luck increasing the volume just a little bit (which as far as I can tell can only be done from the steering wheel, unless that's buried in a menu in the infotainment display somewhere). There's no way to tactilely differentiate what you're touching, and since all the buttons are capacitive if you just go feeling around for the control you want you're going to be adjusting all sorts of other things inadvertently, so you have to take your eyes off the road.

It's so goddamn dumb.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

https://jalopnik.com/a-tesla-cybertruck-crashed-into-the-beverly-hills-hotel-1851305625

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I was trying to figure out how to open the sun shade on the sunroof and was looking for a button and then realized the long piece of plastic near the cabin lights was a capacitive strip that you slid your finger on and I wanted to scream.

Like, if they worked perfectly, great, but they are janky as hell. There's no precision, good luck increasing the volume just a little bit (which as far as I can tell can only be done from the steering wheel, unless that's buried in a menu in the infotainment display somewhere). There's no way to tactilely differentiate what you're touching, and since all the buttons are capacitive if you just go feeling around for the control you want you're going to be adjusting all sorts of other things inadvertently, so you have to take your eyes off the road.

It's so goddamn dumb.

OK so question for the thread, what's the most ergonomically 'right' interior you've been in?

I'm going to put up the NB MX5 as the more I drive the car the more I'm convinced it's 'correct'. All of the controls fall within reach of your fingers with your hand on the gear knob.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK so question for the thread, what's the most ergonomically 'right' interior you've been in?

My Alfa actually has a very good interior. All the stuff you'd care to adjust while driving are buttons, knobs, and switches. So all the heating/cooling, comfort, audio stuff, cruise control, etc are all able to be differentiated by touch. The stuff you set once and forget about are accessed through the infotainment where they belong.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I really liked the layout of the interior of the SAAB 9-5. Also the night panel button, all cars should have that feature IMO, it's a shame that it never caught on. (stuff like the fuel gauge and tach would light up if you were below like 1/4 tank or nearing redline)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm sure I've been in others, but as far as I've owned, my 99 Jetta. Still all physical controls, laid out exactly where you'd expect them, and oddly comfortable. Spent a month doing a big cross country tour in it and it was perfect.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like my 2016 BMW 3-Series wagon. Almost everything I want to adjust is on the steering wheel. All the stuff I would like to adjust quickly is a button in the infotainment area. Everything else is in a menu controlled by a little wheel. I have 8 buttons that I can program to do almost anything (currently set three for quick GPS destinations, two for car Stat sub menus, and three for quick dialing people). No touch screen. Heck, I'm like the only person who likes the turn signal stalk that pops back into the center.

Also, heads up display showing my next turn and speed and some media controls directly in front of me.

Just, I don't know what the phone buttons on the steering wheel do. One let's me talk to the car, but I don't know what to say?

And also there's some awful things with the GPS, though it actually giving me directions while driving is great. Barely works getting addresses from my phone, can't use letters for house numbers (I can't use it around my work because ever building number has letters in it), wanting like $150/year for traffic updates.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Easy - 8th gen Civic (06-11 I believe). Had one as a fleet car for work and it was perfect!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

For my specific body, any Miata/S2000 is perfect. I’m of an average height and build and everything falls to hand and foot perfectly.

The S2000 has the added bonus of all the controls being mounted around the cluster at fingertip length from the steering wheel, and a high trans tunnel/low seat so the shifter also falls neatly to hand.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
They're all fine. We don't need a roll call

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Basically any vehicle where I can steer the car with my legs, hit the brights with left foot and gas/brake with the right.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I just read that Euro NCAP is going to start deducting points if certain controls aren't physical buttons. Based on the article, I don't think it goes far enough.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Those have no place in a car where inadvertent touch is a certainty. I don't need to be turning on or off poo poo accidentally, and I need to know for certain if I *have* turned a thing on or off.

It's so goddamn dumb.

Exactly. All that.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Safety Dance posted:

I just read that Euro NCAP is going to start deducting points if certain controls aren't physical buttons. Based on the article, I don't think it goes far enough.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/

Agree it doesn't go far enough, but it's at least a regulatory start to get away from touch screen everything

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Not gonna lie. I'm quite happy with my 15 yer old Corolla that has touch screen nothing.
My soon to be 3 year old Tacoma has a touch screen, for navigation and some audio controls but the basic volume, on/off etc is buttons and knobs. Same with climate controls, seat heaters and so on.

Thank gently caress.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My 2010 Fit has big, chonky knobs for the air controls that are within a few inches of the steering wheel. They even feel different. This poo poo isn't that hard, companies just don't care.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's not a coincidence that Tesla won't attempt to manufacture a car with physical controls. It's added manufacturing costs, adding a layer of complexity, and another possible failure point that could be avoided by putting everything in a central computer that can fix any problems post launch

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
My ‘14 FRS is pretty well set up; nothing on the steering wheel, but everything that matters is a physical knob/button that’s distinguishable by touch within easy reach of the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My 2010 Fit has big, chonky knobs for the air controls that are within a few inches of the steering wheel. They even feel different. This poo poo isn't that hard, companies just don't care.

My mother's 2016 Fit has (or had, it's since been replaced) crummy Android head unit with a capacitive volume slider and separate but capacitive climate controls.