Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Oh my god, the Tonberry roomba-slash-humidifier in Chapter

E: HOLY poo poo IT STABS YOU WHEN YOU GET CLOSE THIS RULES

I wish you could see the other rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Frankston posted:

Lmao why is the Colosseum in Golden Saucer such an absurd difficulty jump over any fight up till now? I can't even beat the first round of the first fight because all the enemies just insta-gib me as soon as the fight starts.

I got super gibbed the first time, then I went back in and remembered Cloud has a melee counter attack stance and took it out super easily

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

They really leaned in on yuffie being an obnoxious teenager, but I feel like her saving grace is she is pretty strong+fun to play as

Yuffie is my favorite character in combat. She feels so great to play.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Do I need to be doing all of this side content as it's fed to me or can I move on and come back towards the end of the game?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
How do you do Biological Intel: Head Case without wanting to die IRL? It's boggling my mind that they would ask you to do this objective against these enemies, especially when you can't stop your party from attacking the relatively frail other enemies that you're not supposed to kill. I don't like to be a "did nobody test this?!?!?!" kind of guy but seriously, how does anyone attempt this fight and have a response other than "kill me"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

runaway dog posted:

Do I need to be doing all of this side content as it's fed to me or can I move on and come back towards the end of the game?

You can come back and do it later if you want, though anything that gives you a weapon is probably worth doing just because weapons add to the fun of each character.

In case you're wondering/spoiler free list.

"The Pursuit of Perfection" Odd Job
Desert Rush
Mako Research Simulator Trials/Lament of the Damned. Odd Job
Run Wild
Glide De Chocobo/The Bonds of Trust Odd Job
Chocograss Collection/Esoteric Secrets of the Elders Odd Job

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

How do you do Biological Intel: Head Case without wanting to die IRL? It's boggling my mind that they would ask you to do this objective against these enemies, especially when you can't stop your party from attacking the relatively frail other enemies that you're not supposed to kill. I don't like to be a "did nobody test this?!?!?!" kind of guy but seriously, how does anyone attempt this fight and have a response other than "kill me"?

A few things:

You don't need to bring a full party. I had the most luck going in with two characters rather than three, but I've also done it just by doing hit and run with one.
Synergy Attacks that let you focus enemies together are very good since they prevent allies from attacking.
Yuffie is almost a must deploy. She can reliably dodge most attacks and if you do mess up and get hit by a stun you can Blindside out of the stun and avoid the self destruct.
Building ATB for Synergy Abilities and using single-target Synergy Abilities are optimal.
Elemental-Thunder on armor makes your life a lot easier.
If you get stunned and you're not Yuffie with Blindside up, just restart.
The two things you have to keep alive are vulnerable to Sleep, so if you go in solo/2-person you can basically just write them out of the fight.
If you have any Auto-Weapon Ability or Auto-Unique Action matera, make sure to dump them before you go in so your AI allies don't decide to go full ham on an enemy.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 4, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

Finished the Costa del Sol chapter.

That was fun, but I'm kind of disappointed in the way that our heroes have made it clear that they're the Terrorists Who Don't Murder Anybody,* even Barrett. Hojo spent the entire chapter oozing sexual menace to a bunch of women, but we're letting him go because "we've done enough" and then stare at the sunset wondering if hating him makes us a bad person just because he kept two of us prisoner for several years.

This is one of the areas where I feel like Rebirth's mastery of tone falls apart.

*except for nameless mooks, we kill those all the time without a care

Anyway, I love Red XIII; he's the breakout character of 2024.

Theyre mainly worried about the collateral damage to the people at Costa del Sol, not the morality of killing Hojo.
Aerith feeling guilty for hating Hojo is just good characterization? It’s not the game passing down judgement and saying she’s wrong for hating Hojo, you even get the option to tell her it’s okay to have those thoughts and it rewards you with relationship points. It’s just that Aerith is scared of how dark her thoughts get when he’s involved. It’s a pretty realistic victim response.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 4, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Are some of the minigames ever revisited later? I've encountered at least a few that are cool but seemingly only occur once (so far the dolphin one, Red's soccer one, and the frog one come to mind, and it also seems like a bit of a waste to only have the Fort Condor stuff only show up in one chapter).

I'm kinda curious which of Aerith/Tifa ends up being the "default" Saucer date if you do all the side quests and answer dialogue "correctly." I've just been answering dialogue as I see fit, but I get the impression those two probably end up highest unless you deliberately try and get them lower. Tifa is currently leading the pack (which is good since I'm aiming for her over Aerith). I read that you can view the other dates from chapter select if you have high enough affinity, though? That's good if so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Are some of the minigames ever revisited later? I've encountered at least a few that are cool but seemingly only occur once (so far the dolphin one, Red's soccer one, and the frog one come to mind, and it also seems like a bit of a waste to only have the Fort Condor stuff only show up in one chapter).

I'm kinda curious which of Aerith/Tifa ends up being the "default" Saucer date if you do all the side quests and answer dialogue "correctly." I've just been answering dialogue as I see fit, but I get the impression those two probably end up highest unless you deliberately try and get them lower. Tifa is currently leading the pack (which is good since I'm aiming for her over Aerith). I read that you can view the other dates from chapter select if you have high enough affinity, though? That's good if so.

Some come back, some don't, though a lot of them unlock a bonus Hard variation after you do the 'plot' stuff.

As far as the 'default' goes, I'm pretty sure it is similar to the original in that Aerith is the easiest to trigger/the default, but 7R adds a few wrinkles there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 4, 2024

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Oh my god the chocobo glide controls are miserable
Why would both sticks operate in unison rather than letting me have camera controls
Why is there no feedback on when I’ve dived far enough to fly back up
I do not enjoy this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Some come back, some don't, though a lot of them unlock a bonus Hard variation after you do the 'plot' stuff.

I gotta know: is there ever another time when the story (main or side) requires you to play Fort Condor again after the one questline? Just so I can steel myself if so.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Seph posted:

Yeah agreed the last one is serious bullshit. I was about 2% away from killing the boss with 10 seconds to go and then he out of the blue casts some bullshit time stop spell so all my guys just sat there doing nothing until the clock ran out. I had to take a break after that cause I was so pissed. When I come back to it I will probably just turn the game to easy (from dynamic) just to clear it since it’s not even fun at this point.

This happened to me, but the time stop wore off right before the end and I won with 0.08 seconds to spare.

If I hadn't lucked out like that I'm not sure what I could have done. I tried planting ranged guys outside of the time stop, but he would kill them before they could attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I gotta know: is there ever another time when the story (main or side) requires you to play Fort Condor again after the one questline? Just so I can steel myself if so.

Outside of the unlocked Hard mode, no.

Ytlaya posted:

This happened to me, but the time stop wore off right before the end and I won with 0.08 seconds to spare.

If I hadn't lucked out like that I'm not sure what I could have done. I tried planting ranged guys outside of the time stop, but he would kill them before they could attack.

Honestly my answer was that I saved Barret until Time Stop went up and deployed him as a finisher.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Outside of the unlocked Hard mode, no.

I should try to finish the whole story on hardmode now that I have that unlocked.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I beat the last map of fort condor by planting an elite vanguard down on the right side, let him get far enough up to plant a catapult on the bridge and then just sort of dog piled from there. It's race to kill the captain so I just let the left side more or less be and let my keeps handle it with maybe an odd enforcer to keep things held down a bit longer. Once the right keep is down or close enough I dropped some more catapults on the enemy side to launch rocks at the boss. Won with almost 30 seconds left on the clock.

I don't know how much of this to call sheer luck though since actually hitting a formation of baddies with the catapults is fucky timing.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I love how almost every post here is about a different minigame or activity.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Bow wow wow
Bow wow wow

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
When I first get to Junon region there's a small area of side content with like 5-6 world intel objectives. The mission marker is then right to the north of all that. The rest of the open world is to the south. If I do the mission now, will I be locked out of the side content for a long while?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

ImpAtom posted:

You can come back and do it later if you want, though anything that gives you a weapon is probably worth doing just because weapons add to the fun of each character.

In case you're wondering/spoiler free list.

"The Pursuit of Perfection" Odd Job
Desert Rush
Mako Research Simulator Trials/Lament of the Damned. Odd Job
Run Wild
Glide De Chocobo/The Bonds of Trust Odd Job
Chocograss Collection/Esoteric Secrets of the Elders Odd Job

Thanks I'll keep a lookout for those.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megasabin posted:

When I first get to Junon region there's a small area of side content with like 5-6 world intel objectives. The mission marker is then right to the north of all that. The rest of the open world is to the south. If I do the mission now, will I be locked out of the side content for a long while?

You'll know for sure when you'll be locked out of later Junon stuff, the game even warns you.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The thing is I don't even like most of the poppy electronica but the thing is 1) it believes in itself so hard and that counts for a lot and 2) I will hard swerve into liking any track of any genre if it is variably mixed into a battle version that drops a sick beat over it. So my hands are tied here. Salmon theme best theme.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
…why does the sit-up mini game have jiggle physics

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why would it not? :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

because the rest of the game has them too?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This theme song for Gus fucks

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
I applaud SE's hiring policy of "will go too far" when it comes to the writing room. Holy poo poo the intro for golden saucer is so extra for no reason.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Final Fantasy Rebirth: Cloud: Kupo?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kosume Shezaki posted:

I applaud SE's hiring policy of "will go too far" when it comes to the writing room. Holy poo poo the intro for golden saucer is so extra for no reason.

They were well aware Dio needed to loving own and they succeeded.

Fun fact: his Japanese voice actor: Also Donald Duck.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Dio looking rejected when Cloud doesn't give him attention is perfect

Also Dio bulge

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kosume Shezaki posted:

These are the moments where the game really shines. It's when its trying to be serious and stay on track with its overall plot that the writing kinda face plants.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I love the running gag that moogles make characters virally say "Kupo" so much.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Every time I look over while my partner is playing this game, they are either slowly pushing a crate, doing a stealth section where if you're seen you start over, or both at once.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Reo posted:

Every time I look over while my partner is playing this game, they are either slowly pushing a crate, doing a stealth section where if you're seen you start over, or both at once.

you should pay more attention to your partner op

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Reo posted:

That's kind of an amazing coincidence considering a 100 hour game has 4 of those that are about 8 minutes each?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Caidin posted:

I beat the last map of fort condor by planting an elite vanguard down on the right side, let him get far enough up to plant a catapult on the bridge and then just sort of dog piled from there. It's race to kill the captain so I just let the left side more or less be and let my keeps handle it with maybe an odd enforcer to keep things held down a bit longer. Once the right keep is down or close enough I dropped some more catapults on the enemy side to launch rocks at the boss. Won with almost 30 seconds left on the clock.

I don't know how much of this to call sheer luck though since actually hitting a formation of baddies with the catapults is fucky timing.

This is basically what I did, plus using a couple ballistas.

I don’t really understand how the mini game actually works, because I tried the same tactic a few times in a row and the amount of damage my units could take before they died seemed weirdly random.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

minigames are good actually

I love them but I didn't need the remixes of animal soccer and pirate gallery.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

This is basically what I did, plus using a couple ballistas.

I don’t really understand how the mini game actually works, because I tried the same tactic a few times in a row and the amount of damage my units could take before they died seemed weirdly random.

At the top right is the "rock paper scissors" graph that explains what unit counters what.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I love them but I didn't need the remixes of animal soccer and pirate gallery.

You are right, you didn't need them, but you are going to be grateful either way. :blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the soccer minigame is really easy, you just need to know that pressing R2 twice lets dash faster