Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I had heard about him making up a daughter including her death years ago and kind of forgot about it until now so until I saw slowbeef's post and such along with some other people that hung out with him saying he was a chronic liar I kind of thought I was just misremembering when I saw his cancer "news". What an incredible situation. His RE4 LP brought me here I think but a lot of those old LPs sure don't hold up very well with the use of certain language so I will instead continue to not think about those LPs anymore and laugh at someone lying for absolutely no reason since it doesn't seem like he's making much money or gaining fame from any of this. I hadn't even heard about the mercenary stories at all and that's just another "fun" wrinkle to the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
How deep does the rabbit hole go? Next you'll be telling me Square Enix didn't even kill his Youtube channel...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nah, that one we did look into and if you pull up one of his old videos it says that the channel was taken down at the request of the copyright holder.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

How deep does the rabbit hole go? Next you'll be telling me Square Enix didn't even kill his Youtube channel...

That seems to be the only part that's real. His channel says "terminated" when you go to it, which you don't see if you just delete your channel yourself.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

they killed his channel and his daughter. those fucks won't get away with it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I have 20 alts and I feel very seen right now

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So what was his end game for dying from cancer? At least that other guy got ProtonJon to play his ROM hack or whatever.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Possibly an effort to just dissolve his old online persona and have people think fondly of him in the process, maybe he just wanted to spin a yarn about his miracle recovery. Apparently this isn’t the first time he’s claimed to be ravaged by cancer, so maybe he just likes that lie a lot.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 4, 2024

choopercabra
Aug 8, 2006
This is so weird, I wouldn't have played the original Nier if it weren't for his Drakengard lets plays. I heard about TDI's daughter allegedly dying and him apparently having cancer. But I haven't paid attention to Let's Play or goon drama in a long, long time, so I never heard any of the other lies. Hell, I assumed he was dead for the past few years. I don't know if this means that Drakengard and Dirge of Cerberus are actually masterpieces of good gameplay, I'm not going to bother playing them to find out.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
I faked my death 10 years ago and nobody in this drat forum noticed, so now I'm back to loudly pronounce I'm dead. Please respect my privacy at this time by subscribing to my patreon.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
This sure is not what I expected to see from the sandcastle getting a spike of activity :psyduck:

Gummy Joe posted:

I faked my death 10 years ago and nobody in this drat forum noticed, so now I'm back to loudly pronounce I'm dead. Please respect my privacy at this time by subscribing to my patreon.

can confirm this is all true (not an alt account)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
We should have seen it coming, after all The Dark Id IS an anagram of Dead Kid Lie :hmmyes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All I remember hearing about him is that he was in the military and his kid died and I couldn't imagine why someone would lie about that, but I guess the Deep Lore Of The Dark Id makes it a lot clearer.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

If he wanted to feed on the drama though, wouldn't he have kept working on the Parasite Eve LP that he dropped when he got diagnosed?

Was that the LP where the player kept making "Melissa's tits are huge and badly modeled!" jokes every time she appeared? There was a recent Parasite Eve LP that I fell off of after the first couple updates because the writer wouldn't shut up about PS1 boobs.

I loved TDI's 3rd Birthday LP though, even if in hindsight picking apart the credits name-by-name felt like performative anger. Sometimes I still think about the lengths he went to to be able to post the ending cutscene without getting immediately slapped by copyright claims, though apparently that was all for naught in the end. Had no idea about any of the other stuff so goddamn catching up on what's happened had been a ride

EDIT: I was right! Well, mostly, I exaggerated how many jokes were made about Melissa/Eve's chest. But every other line of dialogue was interrupted with jokes that just completely killed any momentum in the scene.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 4, 2024

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Never even followed TDI's Lps. Never could get past his style. All I know is I'm glad I've only followed boring dorks like Mega64 so I've never had to worry about this sort of large-scale charlatanism. :v:

Kind of makes me reflect on my time on SA. More or less joined due to slowbeef/RP, stayed for a lot more. Eventually came across the thought of "Hey, maybe I could join in, too!" But then between having a grown-up job and family, just haven't had time and space to make it all work. I haven't even been able to follow many in that time, either. There is one game I want to cover before I die. We'll see if I ever get there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ImpAtom posted:

All I remember hearing about him is that he was in the military and his kid died and I couldn't imagine why someone would lie about that, but I guess the Deep Lore Of The Dark Id makes it a lot clearer.

i had a similar kind of journey with it.

Id was one of the people that inspired me to LP simply because when i read his LPs, i got a good feel that it was fine to just be weird and silly about this stuff. which, growing up on a lot of emulation bbses, that actually was not obvious to me. unsurprisingly, emulation folks tend to get rather territorial about whatever games they happen to like.

then when the freaking "i beat up a hater that was messing with my gay daughter" story came out, i had no choice but to seriously question his integrity. the plain jane truth was simple: Id ostensibly lived in a nicer neighborhood, and there was a physical altercation. this isn't the projects or the inner city. when there's a physical altercation in the burbs, police are called, investigations happen, results are given. someone who was sharing as much as Id about everything should've been very eager to talk about these follow-up points, but he never did.

when his daughter was supposedly killed, i shelved my suspicions because i was like "someone has to be a very sick individual to make this crap up." but then again, the followup posts did not track with any kind of grieving process; he would simply neglect the point for a long while until someone mentioned it, and then he would be at an entirely random stage of grief.

THEN the entire "i run an ethical PMC" thing came out near the beginning of the ukraine war and i was absolutely staggered that anyone could believe this poo poo for an instant. it got more obvious if you spent even a cursory amount of time with it, because Number Two was supposedly crossing enemy lines multiple times a week and was reporting battlefield intel that was flatly contradicted by other confirmed ukranian sources, and later on, the full on MoD reports flatly contradicted Number Two's ostensible updates.

i never wanted to say anything because lurking in his discord was so wild. there are hundreds of people in there lapping up every story even today. can confirm that the vast majority of the people chatting in there are still in deep denial of what is happening as of this morning. taboo subject it seems. the power of being an OG let's player, i guess.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Anyone else wake up feeling like a huge doofus :downs:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Happy Landfill posted:

Every day but why bring it up here?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I never knew him personally and indirectly discovered Nier and Drakengard because of him, I'll take feeling foolish for a few minutes in exchange for how incredibly funny this now is. Hopefully for him he'll become less of a fabulist.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Gummy Joe posted:

Hey Gummy Joe :)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

i never wanted to say anything because lurking in his discord was so wild. there are hundreds of people in there lapping up every story even today. can confirm that the vast majority of the people chatting in there are still in deep denial of what is happening as of this morning. taboo subject it seems. the power of being an OG let's player, i guess.

Yeah I just dropped out of it today since it was getting so ridiculous.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well now I feel like a loving idiot. Dude was playing mind games on me, pretending to support me in one persona and ragging on me in the other.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Speedball posted:

Well now I feel like a loving idiot. Dude was playing mind games on me, pretending to support me in one persona and ragging on me in the other.

This is the one that actually made me laugh for like a minute straight, not because of you, but because I don't think anything has made the sheer absurdity of him trying to run various characters and do such extended-length extra work for no purpose other than loving with people clear to me, and I had the mental image of him just keeping a balanced spreadsheet so that the negs and cheers all came to a consistent ±1 between all the fake people.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

claw game handjob posted:

This is the one that actually made me laugh for like a minute straight, not because of you, but because I don't think anything has made the sheer absurdity of him trying to run various characters and do such extended-length extra work for no purpose other than loving with people clear to me, and I had the mental image of him just keeping a balanced spreadsheet so that the negs and cheers all came to a consistent ±1 between all the fake people.

You wanna know how much extra loving work this guy has been doing? "Hikari" has an Animal Crossing village filled with 1000s of hours worth of content, I went through it all. There's committing to a bit, and then there's living a double life. That's why I was sure Hikari was real for the longest time.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Are we sure that The Dark Id is not actually Yoko Taro and this entire thing isn't actually Drakkengaurd 4???

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

Woke up? Buddy, let me tell ya how I slept. I dreamt some Let's Play faked his entire life

Oh no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp47JDxuZDU&t=5s

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Speedball posted:

You wanna know how much extra loving work this guy has been doing? "Hikari" has an Animal Crossing village filled with 1000s of hours worth of content, I went through it all. There's committing to a bit, and then there's living a double life. That's why I was sure Hikari was real for the longest time.

That is genuinely batshit insane on multiple levels.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Happy Landfill posted:

Every day, but slightly more so than usual.

I only followed his Twitter and only kind of raised and eyebrow at some of the more outlandish stuff but never much more than that. Then he claimed his daughter died and I felt bad and kind of shelved it all. Did not go to his discord so when he eventually petered out on Twitter I did not hear anything from him since. I would wonder what had happened to him, and then all this happens.

drat

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Speedball posted:

ollolll

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ImpAtom posted:

That is genuinely batshit insane on multiple levels.

Yeah, but it's only making the idea that there were definitely spreadsheets and logging to try and keep this half-assed nightmare existence hold up seem more real to me.

Dude couldn't be arsed to write down dates though by all accounts so really who's to say how much or how little was going on behind the scenes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Are we sure that The Dark Id is not actually Yoko Taro and this entire thing isn't actually Drakkengaurd 4???

:yokotaro:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Unlucky7 posted:

Every day, but slightly more so than usual.

I only followed his Twitter and only kind of raised and eyebrow at some of the more outlandish stuff but never much more than that. Then he claimed his daughter died and I felt bad and kind of shelved it all. Did not go to his discord so when he eventually petered out on Twitter I did not hear anything from him since. I would wonder what had happened to him, and then all this happens.

drat

That's kind of where I'm at. Followed him on twitter and thought some of the paramilitary stories were a little odd, but what would I know, I've never been in the military :shrug: Thought the family stuff was legit, with maybe some embellishments because, hey, internet; sort of like how the stories stand-up comedians tell didn't happen exactly as how they recount it. Joined his discord but never posted because things seemed to move pretty fast and it felt like I couldn't keep up. The stories he was telling there were pretty beyond the pale that I'm a little shocked

edit: it's a huge bummer because people already thought he was cool for being a chill, funny video game dude. He just needed to keep doing that and not...everything else.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
:wtc:

I don't know that there's anything else to say. Just...dang.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Can't honestly remember much of his twitter stories, the only one I can vaguely remember at the tail end of it was someone going after him for unknown reasons.

DIdn't even know there was a Discord server at all until now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Speedball posted:

He, uh, he was rather unequivocal about you as of last November when "something" happened - I still don't know what - that caused him to ping the entire loving server about you.

I won't share it unless requested just out of courtesy or whatever but even as someone who looked once every 3 months or so and never spoke, it was notable that he dropped an @here specifically to tell the entire server to block and avoid you at all costs.

It was pretty hosed up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

He, uh, he was rather unequivocal about you as of last November when "something" happened - I still don't know what - that caused him to ping the entire loving server about you.

I won't share it unless requested just out of courtesy or whatever but even as someone who looked once every 3 months or so and never spoke, it was notable that he dropped an @here specifically to tell the entire server to block and avoid you at all costs.

It was pretty hosed up.

Yeah and you know what the inciting incident was? Me remarking that "Hikari is weirdly cheap" which just...made everyone lose their poo poo at me. Then I have "Hikari" and TDI doing good cop bad cop in the admin channel discussing whether or not to throw me out and then BOOM I was out before I even realized what was going on.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:psyduck: Good lord

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Speedball posted:

Yeah and you know what the inciting incident was? Me remarking that "Hikari is weirdly cheap" which just...made everyone lose their poo poo at me. Then I have "Hikari" and TDI doing good cop bad cop in the admin channel discussing whether or not to throw me out and then BOOM I was out before I even realized what was going on.

That boy ain’t right

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
:psyduck: What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Speedball posted:

:cripes: