Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Arivia posted:

"Dorset's Devastating Fenella" never has a sexier description been given. Dorset? The sex capital of the world, everyone knows that. Devastating? The most arousing of adjectives. Fenella? A name that's a pleasure to say and tempts you with so much more.

image search results:

looks quite romantic actually, but not if it was devastated probably.

Okay I find this image disturbing for reasons I can't name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Coin storage

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Coin storage

Are we talking about the phone or fenella's fanny because I think given the last few posts it is important to clarify.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cojawfee posted:

Why is it so huge? What is in that phone that requires such a huge housing?

Kwyndig posted:

Coin storage

More or less. These things took multiple coin denominations (you can see the slits at the top) and had a little window where you could see them disappear (quickly) while talking. All the while clicking and clunking loud enough to make it hard to hear the other party.

That's what you get when you have a state monopoly on telecommunications.

e: Photos, including interior.

Zopotantor has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Mar 4, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, I'm glad we instead had a private monopoly on telecommunications.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

By popular demand posted:

Okay I find this image disturbing for reasons I can't name.

She's just having a smoke

Do Carry On films count as obsolete and failed technology?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ah, the Fernwahlmünzfernsprecher 63.

"Remote-selection-coin-far-talker" ... long distance coin telephone?

e: I know just enough German to be dangerous, yes.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Mar 4, 2024

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Here's a British telephone box I spotted yesterday:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I haven't seen a payphone in the wild in Vancouver in ages. The only time I've seen them recently was in the international terminal at YVR.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

I haven't seen a payphone in the wild in Vancouver in ages. The only time I've seen them recently was in the international terminal at YVR.

My daughter and I went on a mission to find every publicly available payphone in our town (ones not inside a business). We found one. It sits in front of a notoriously lovely trailer park located on one of our main stroads.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

spookygonk posted:

of course it's got a bunch of cider cans on it

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
There was a payphone in my high school. I was there from 95-99. Someday someone with too many quarters and too much time randomly called up what we called "The English Lady." Small town Indiana and no one ever figured out who she was. But she had a strong accent and always answered when someone called. She got a lot of calls from kids during lunch. Her attitude about the whole thing was it was kids being kids. She wasn't dumb she knew where the calls were coming from.

I don't know if the number got passed down over the years. Most kids would just hang up after she answered, the brave ones would try and prank her, and the really brave would talk to her.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

spookygonk posted:

Both of these look better than Verizon dilapidated poo poo boxes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

At the Museum Of Trash, in Brazil:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Both of these look better than Verizon dilapidated poo poo boxes.

The permeating smell of piss is probably unique to the enclosed britboxes though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

The permeating smell of piss is probably unique to the enclosed britboxes though.

Alas, it is not. America has very creative, very anti-social public pissers.

San Diego municipal buildings and bus/trolley stations still have payphones. The ones in the city-owned buildings are in better condition than the ones at the stations though.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Imagine how bad Dr Who's box smells after all these years. No way could you ever find every nook and piss soaked cranny. How many bathrooms are even in that thing compared to the internal size? I doubt the Doctor needs to pee so probably zero.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Desert Bus posted:

Imagine how bad Dr Who's box smells after all these years. No way could you ever find every nook and piss soaked cranny. How many bathrooms are even in that thing compared to the internal size? I doubt the Doctor needs to pee so probably zero.

The 100th classic series story was meant to feature a scene with the Doctor et al. having a birthday party and him eating some cake. The producer vetoed it because he thought it would make kids wonder if the Doctor used the toilet. The same serial contained a scene with the Doctor drinking wine.

I swear I'm not making this up.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The 100th classic series story was meant to feature a scene with the Doctor et al. having a birthday party and him eating some cake. The producer vetoed it because he thought it would make kids wonder if the Doctor used the toilet. The same serial contained a scene with the Doctor drinking wine.

I swear I'm not making this up.

Honestly as I was writing that post I was really REALLY hoping that Goons would be Goons and give me a much deserved education RE: Time Lord excretory systems and possible waste management strategies on the TARDIS.

The TARDIS is a living thinking being and its companion keeps picking up rando humans and I doubt it likes getting poo poo on anymore than I would so i'd assume it's just in the habit of having every other door lead to a recreation of the men's restrooms at Hampden Park.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Desert Bus posted:

Honestly as I was writing that post I was really REALLY hoping that Goons would be Goons and give me a much deserved education RE: Time Lord excretory systems and possible waste management strategies on the TARDIS.

The TARDIS is a living thinking being and its companion keeps picking up rando humans and I doubt it likes getting poo poo on anymore than I would so i'd assume it's just in the habit of having every other door lead to a recreation of the men's restrooms at Hampden Park.

I mean I know the TARDIS is supposed to be kinda malfunctioning but if my time machine's bathroom looked like the bathroom in a Scottish football stadium I'd just abandon it goddamn.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

I mean I know the TARDIS is supposed to be kinda malfunctioning but if my time machine's bathroom looked like the bathroom in a Scottish football stadium I'd just abandon it goddamn.

It learns from what it knows and how many doctors and companions have presented as Scottish? A lot right?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

Well, we know the Tardis has a pool, so it's safe to assume it has something akin to plumbing. At the very least, as long as you just need to take a piss, it has one thing that can be used as a urinal. Plus it's a sentient time machine, the toilet probably just shoots the poo poo into the heart of a black hole.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TURDIS

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Randalor posted:

Well, we know the Tardis has a pool, so it's safe to assume it has something akin to plumbing. At the very least, as long as you just need to take a piss, it has one thing that can be used as a urinal. Plus it's a sentient time machine, the toilet probably just shoots the poo poo into the heart of a black hole.

There is no 'p' in the tardis's "ool".

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Diarrheaing the Turdis.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Dr Who is the worst thing I’ve ever seen on a tv and I was watching when the second tower got hit.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I wish the worst thing I've ever seen was a hit or miss corny british television show

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

People get really loving weird about Dr Who, like they build their entire personality around hating it, or boasting about how they've never seen it (but still know they hate it).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I tried watching it as a kid (it was the doctor who looked like everyone's aunt in a big scarf) and it was just so incredibly boring I'd browse text TV instead.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/geekenspiel/status/1764688087182090666?s=20

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's the drive below the cdrom, is it a Jazz drive or something?

I would rock that case.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

What's the drive below the cdrom, is it a Jazz drive or something?

I would rock that case.

A hard disk drive? e: Yup.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

oh yeah, removable HDD drawers used to be a thing.
maybe still used in some businesses.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd assume servers?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A hard disk drive? e: Yup.

Does the lock keep it from being removed from the bay, or keep it from being accessed by the software?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Probably just in the bay, if you added a simple hardware cutoff to an HDD it would damage the drive every time used if the drive still works.

E: here's a similar one

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Mar 5, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Beautiful, but loses points for the buttons not continuing the surrounding wood grain pattern.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Does the lock keep it from being removed from the bay, or keep it from being accessed by the software?

The datasheet (see below) only mentions swapping, so I'm assuming only the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SCIFs, you pull the hard drives and keep them locked in a safe.