Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

No Wave posted:

If its ante 1 small blind and my hand is A K K 8 7 5 2 with two or less of each suit I don't know what the correct play is. I either brain off and try to force the A-10 straight, flail around looking for a full house, or try to force a flush with the suit I have the highest cards of, and I don't know which is right/which lets me recover best if I miss. Its different from video poker odds in any case because I'm not looking for EV because every chip above 300 doesnt matter.

Hold the Kings and bin the rest. Small Blind on Ante 1 is only 350. One decent Full House/Flush clears in one hand with no jokers. Two Full House/Flush clears the Big and Boss blinds for the most part too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Skip for negative joker? :yeah:

*Store loads in 2 planet cards*

This happens so many times and I can't afford both the reroll and the card.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah my strategy for Ante 1 tends to just be go for Full House or Flush, they're relatively easy to get and clear the blinds quickly.

Straights tend to be okay too, but I really only go for them if I'm most of the way there already.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the fibonacci joker is the hidden goat

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the fibonacci joker is the hidden goat

fibonacci + hack is really where it's at

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Relyssa posted:

fibonacci + hack is really where it's at

I had this going last night. Got me through blue stake on red deck.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
For the Small Blind in Ante 1, you can win in one hand with any of the following:

- A Straight where the lowest card is 8 or higher;
- A Flush where the card values total 40 or higher;
- A Full House where the card values total 35 or higher.

For me, the hand I aim for usually depends on the hand I start with - if I've got, say, a 9-10-J-Q sequence, then I'll probably aim for a straight. If, on the the other hand, I have a 3 of a kind, then I'll probably aim for a Full House. Or if I've got 4 of a given suit, then Flush starts looking like an attractive option.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
black hole doesnt count as a planet card for the purposes of the constellation joker. rating this game a thumbs down on steam

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

black hole doesnt count as a planet card for the purposes of the constellation joker. rating this game a thumbs down on steam

Well no poo poo, a Black Hole isn't a planet. Learn some astronomy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kuros posted:

Well no poo poo, a Black Hole isn't a planet. Learn some astronomy.

get his rear end

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao, bought Pareidolia right before The Mark because I have the checkered deck, flushes, the works. I beat it by guessing based on card sorting

Feels Good

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

War Wizard posted:

Skip for negative joker? :yeah:

*Store loads in 2 planet cards*

This happens so many times and I can't afford both the reroll and the card.

Doesn't it still apply for the next joker to appear in the shop? Not ideal since you need to play another round, but

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Doesn't it still apply for the next joker to appear in the shop? Not ideal since you need to play another round, but

yes, the tag is only consumed once it actually spawns the joker

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stop giving me every single debuffed card at once at ante 10 holy poo poo lol

26 in a row :negative:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm not sure I entirely understand skipping because it seems dumb and why would I ever do it

I guess it might be good if I don't need to build up a joker effect and there's no reward on the blind due to the level of stakes?

I had a boss blind of all previous used cards being invalid. So I skipped two blinds and had all my cards for the boss. It’s probably more useful the higher the ante and the more cards and jokers you have.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i swear to god the game knows when you take the constellation joker

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't feel like the different booster pack designs have different options available to them but maybe they should. Or at least weighted differently. That could help solve the "too many options" issue

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So the one Arcana pack is definitely a DJ dropping a sick beat right

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I don't feel like the different booster pack designs have different options available to them but maybe they should. Or at least weighted differently. That could help solve the "too many options" issue

i kinda like the designs not having different options, it's already aggravating enough when you're trying to find certain things, making that even more rng dependent could get really frustrating

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
How do you get enough blue score to keep up with ante 11+? I usually get there with 2 x3 mults, but end up with something like 350 x 10,000 and stall out around 5 mil

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Ok, Anaglyph deck deck is awesome. I got like 5 challenges done with it and had over $150 by ante 2. I did get lucky to get the throwback joker (X0.25/skip) while going for the beat game in ≤12 rounds unlock.

Plank Walker posted:

How do you get enough blue score to keep up with ante 11+? I usually get there with 2 x3 mults, but end up with something like 350 x 10,000 and stall out around 5 mil

Stuntman, Bull, or so much exponential growth that it doesn't matter.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Relyssa posted:

i kinda like the designs not having different options, it's already aggravating enough when you're trying to find certain things, making that even more rng dependent could get really frustrating
you have better odds fishing one specific joker out of a pool of 50 jokers than you do with 150, and you can save money when other packs show up with cards you know you don't want.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

War Wizard posted:

Stuntman, Bull, or so much exponential growth that it doesn't matter.

Realistically at some point you need to stop caring about the number on the left because there's no way to make it scale with exponential growth. Stuntman might give you three or four times as many chips if your base chips are really, really bad, which is pretty meaningless when the jump between antes is measured in powers of 10.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I wish the game had better record keeping like Hades. I'd like to see what combos got me how far and at what strength (joker growth).

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nltHmlXRBQU

Balatro says: "The blind to beat is infinity."

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Plank Walker posted:

Certain card and joker combinations can get that right side number up to ridiculous levels, usually involving retriggers like red seal or sock and buskin

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I haven't done any real math but based on Videos and my own plays, +c +m xm is fine and dandy to clear up to Ante 8, but any attempt to push endless is strictly stacking as much xm as possible, maybe with a single +m to get the ball rolling on the first x.

I've never pushed past Endless 12, but even making it that far is some combo of steel cards, blueprints, and x3+ cards.

Chips and +Mult will only mult so much, stacked xmult is how you exponential this poo poo.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Crushed a run today by getting Madness + Riff Raff, and Wheel of Fortune putting Polychrome on Madness. I also managed to keep Blueprint and/or Brainstorm in play for surprisingly long stretches. Made it to Ante 10 playing single cards like 90% of the time lol

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
I really dislike the first ante, but I don't think there's a good replacement. I wish the game started with a shop with 2 or 3 free common jokers before the first blind. I'm so tired of playing the first ante and hoping to get a joker to carry me until ante 3 where I can start a proper build.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Its a Rolex posted:

I really dislike the first ante, but I don't think there's a good replacement. I wish the game started with a shop with 2 or 3 free common jokers before the first blind. I'm so tired of playing the first ante and hoping to get a joker to carry me until ante 3 where I can start a proper build.

Agree 100% - if there's one complaint I have about this game, it's that it's too easy to get screwed by getting no decent jokers in the first few blinds.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

15 minute city gets a little easier when you realize you can have multiple gaps with Shortcut for a straight, but lol Ride the Bus just sucks

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Just had a silly run with the erratic deck where I got to a point where I was making 2 copies of a polychrome glass 4 a round with a brainstormed DNA and then moving the brainstorm to the hologram that was getting bigger with each, and then playing flush 5s with my 80 card deck
Ran out of steam in ante 13 but probably could have gone a bit farther with more/better negative jokers than I had

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

At a certain point even basic xmulti jokers aren't enough, you need the options that can trigger x multi multiple times. That was the only way i was able to beat ante 12, i had like 25 negative planet cards and observatory

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DaveWoo posted:

Agree 100% - if there's one complaint I have about this game, it's that it's too easy to get screwed by getting no decent jokers in the first few blinds.

Yeah comparing it to the gold standard of STS, I feel like there are way more unwinnable starts in this. Too much variance at the beginning as you go through the chip colors. There are definitely ways it can be balanced better.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Reroll should also reroll vouchers and boosters

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I did manage to beat ante 12 but it was with [x25] [x25]

Then I screwed up my joker placement. :(

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

15 minute city gets a little easier when you realize you can have multiple gaps with Shortcut for a straight, but lol Ride the Bus just sucks

That challenge isn't too bad, you just need to make sure you're ramping up your Ride the Bus multiplier as much as possible. That should carry you through the first couple of antes, at which point you should be able to get more jokers to support you.

Nihilarian posted:

Reroll should also reroll vouchers and boosters

Or at least there should be a voucher that gives an extra booster in the shop

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
I feel like i'd prefer a slight hike in the initial part of the difficulty curve and being able to pick one common joker as well as my deck instead of constantly holding R like i was a county in Kentucky.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just realized that +mult and xmult were different :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This card shop triggered my XCOM doubt response