Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Microsoft should just stick to the Windows 3.1 UI, there was no reason to change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

windows 10 is windows win

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Dang, they're shutting down windows because it can be used to play Nintendo games. Finally, year of the linux

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They should rename it Epic Windows, because it is Epic Win.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's not terrible if you change some of the default UI stuff and it's a bit more of an effort to get a local account if you don't want to use a Microsoft account for everything but it's not like Windows 8 bad or anything. I still prefer 10 though personally.

God, I was literally thinking about Windows 8 last night and that like 5 year period where they were trying to make laptop touchscreens a thing because Microsoft really wanted to be in phones

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Dang, they're shutting down windows because it can be used to play Nintendo games. Finally, year of the linux

I have really bad news about Linux and its ability to play Nintendo games (its better at it than Windows, more system resources can go to the emulator because Linux is has such low overhead in comparison).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Noooo, I need a computer for my job and if they shut down Linux too I'll have to go back to gathering and scavenging.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Noooo, I need a computer for my job and if they shut down Linux too I'll have to go back to gathering and scavenging.

The Wii U has a web browser.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh phew, and as far as anyone knows the Wii U can't play Nintendo games so it'll probably be safe from Nintendo's crusade against playing Nintendo games.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Archive.org to the rescue

Yuzu for Android final release
https://web.archive.org/web/20240304182702/https://github.com/yuzu-emu/yuzu-android/releases/

Yuzu Early Access is still up
https://github.com/pineappleEA/pineapple-src/releases

Citra for everything final release
https://web.archive.org/web/20240304191843/https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-canary/releases

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I watched archive.org toonami stream recently because it's the only place that old weird version of Tenchi Muyo exists. They don't even beg for donations like wikipedia are the most important library for art and media.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

Is windows 11 good? i'm still on 10.

the real question is: does windows 11 have any new features that you or I actually care about? or is it purely just a new skin on the UI and a bunch of backend code changes. plus more ads built into the OS
back when win 7 reached end of life in 2020 there was still no real compelling win 10 feature worth switching for aside from better bluetooth support and uh "it isn't abandoned" (though that second one was pretty convincing)
and i suspect win 11 will be mostly the same.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 4, 2024

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It is frankly unnerving how much of Western game preservation efforts are propped up on archive.org like the world's shakiest house of cards

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mode 7 posted:

It is frankly unnerving how much of Western game preservation efforts are propped up on archive.org like the world's shakiest house of cards

aren't they in the process of being blasted out of a canon into the sun by some book publishers over some copyright bullshit during covid

e: also nobody posted the yuzu final discord message so here
it's pretty funny imo

we thought all y'all were dumping your own game roms!!

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 4, 2024

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mode 7 posted:

well its better than what Yuzu was doing which was storing 60fps patches on Discord

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it is insane how many people are like "we need a knowledgebase, file repository, and image hosting solution. i know. lets use the chat client for gamers"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
when the vc money runs out and it becomes a smouldering wreck of unprofitability do you think people will go back to irc/mumble or just jump to the hot new venture backed discord clone with a twist

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

Yep, I should really try to download what I can one of these days and store it all on massive hard drives. I fully expect at some point that site is going away.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

well its better than what Yuzu was doing which was storing 60fps patches on Discord

How is Discord even staying afloat? Who is funding that thing? The subscriber numbers cant be enough to keep it going, but its got to be ultra expensive to run.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

when the vc money runs out and it becomes a smouldering wreck of unprofitability do you think people will go back to irc/mumble or just jump to the hot new venture backed discord clone with a twist

we will all go to telegram, which is funded by russians, the Islamic State, and furries.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I said come in! posted:

How is Discord even staying afloat? Who is funding that thing? The subscriber numbers cant be enough to keep it going, but its got to be ultra expensive to run.

That's the great thing.

It's not!

Discord is not profitable!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Discord is significantly better than professional services like Teams and could probably make a go at offering services to non-gamers for coporation-level money

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am torn between not wanting Discord to die because I don't want all that info lost and wanting Discord to die ASAP so people can stop locking information up in a lovely chat server where any form of usability and effective searching goes to die.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Discord was made by a dude who created add-ons and third party tools for Final Fantasy XI

don't think for even a second it can be ever trusted. It would be like trusting me, and you don't wanna go down that road...:twisted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Discord was made by a dude who created add-ons and third party tools for Final Fantasy XI

don't think for even a second it can be ever trusted. It would be like trusting me, and you don't wanna go down that road...:twisted:

I probably shouldnt have just private messaged you my social security number for safe keeping then?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I installed Pokémon infinite fusion since it got a big update and the best instructions and file links for installing it to a macOS are located in the description to a YouTube video. Feels like there should be a better way to display that information on some kind of webpage.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the problem is, people are very stupid and also making webpages is lost knowledge

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I installed Pokémon infinite fusion since it got a big update and the best instructions and file links for installing it to a macOS are located in the description to a YouTube video. Feels like there should be a better way to display that information on some kind of webpage.

I hate that so many help resources have moved over to poorly made Youtube videos. The reason for this is that Youtube content is very easy to monetize, and there is always that chance a video of yours will make it big, go viral, and you'll make a lot of money from it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here's why i think Morrowind is a GOAT (greatest of all time).
I'm going to avoid bringing up notable non-GOATs daggerfall, oblivion and skyrim.

It really all comes down to the setting.
Yes there are cool mushroom trees. Yes there are cool hollowed-out crab mansions. Yes there are cool fungus wizard towers. Yes there are cool ant colony egg mines. It's chitinland. But I'm talking about the factions and politics

It's colonizers all the way down. Arguably at the bottom of the pole are the nomadic tribes of dark elves that live in small camps throughout the region. They've got their very old oral traditions and very specific societal norms, they hunt and gather and some of them raid. Also they have a cool name, "Ashlanders"
These "natives" are persecuted by the more "civilized" Great Houses, large clans of settled dark elves who share a single religion, they regularly encroach on tribal lands to administer and of course exploit local resources. Each of the Great Houses have their own specific inter- and intra-house politics that i won't get into
Above even the Great Houses is the Empire. See, the dark elf province was recently peaceably annexed by the Empire. The House dark elves don't love it but mostly go along with it out of pragmatism. In fact the most Empire-friendly Great House has earned some fantastic concessions from the imperial government. And of course we have imperial settlements cropping up, they want to exploit resources too

Here's what makes all of this cool: you can see all of these dynamics at play just by walking around the towns.
The Ashlander tribes are very remote, they're not on the island-wide transportation network that the Great Houses and Empire maintain
The xenophobic wizard house has slaves en masse (slavery is legal). Their towers are inaccessible to those who don't have levitation magic
The religious warrior house has small outposts throughout the island, next to important pilgrimage sites. They work closely with the state church and you'll find always find house and temple services close together
The mercantile scoundrel house owns the richest, most fertile, safest lands. Their settlements will typically feature a stately mansion belonging to the local landowner, their merchants sequestered from the general populace
The Empire has large, well-maintained forts in lots of places, a reminder of their military might, and from which their own state religion can send their own missions

I like how all of it Makes Sense. I like how the different factions talk about each other. I like how the different settlements look and feel. I like how apathetic all of it is to the player.

Also the story is neat (it's a *deconstruction* of Chosen One tropes)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/DreaminErryDay/status/1764737724219609576

Yuzu may have Specifically hosed Up in a way outside general emulation

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I dont think any of these people are lawyers

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Here's why i think Morrowind is a GOAT (greatest of all time).

I've been replaying Morrowind. It was the last good RPG Bethesda (Todd Howards team to be more specific) put out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't remember that being the case, my recollection is yuzu, specifically went out of their way to not support totk prerelease when ryujinx didn't care

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm from lawyer school and I say sue em all

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I said come in! posted:

I probably shouldnt have just private messaged you my social security number for safe keeping then?

You are now subscribed to Final Fantasy XI.

you absolute fool

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

You are now subscribed to Final Fantasy XI.

you absolute fool

lmao jokes on you, I love that game and now im gonna play it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

the problem is, people are very stupid and also making webpages is lost knowledge

I used to make my own websites just fine using Frontpage and Dreamweaver. I can't properly code, but I could get the site to look like how I wanted. Nowadays I really don't know what the gently caress to do, even the stuff I looked into to make it a lot easier and visual seemed like themselves huge headaches I couldn't figure out in one go. I found some janky oldish thing to do it how I knew how and ended up with a website that doesn't work on phones and I also get some certificate earning like it's a shady website, but really I just hosed something up somewhere with certificates Im sure.

Then if I had a working website who would go to it and how would they find it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The halo soundtrack guy is running for congress lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hopefully one day we will base all our voting decisions based on whether we liked the games they worked on. I'm not voting for the halo heavy platform.