Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Gucci Mane, it's me, Klaus. You gotta get into the studio right now..... You're getting clowned Gucci Mane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
They don't like when you joke about Zenu or talk to ze New York Times

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"I'm Stan, just a more evolved Stan. A Stan who spent a thousand lonely years without you, mang, and realized you're the most important thing in the world, eh?"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I was really scared and nervous about the chocolate tunnel of love, but once I relaxed I found I really enjoy it!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Chris Knight posted:

"I'm Stan, just a more evolved Stan. A Stan who spent a thousand lonely years without you, mang, and realized you're the most important thing in the world, eh?"

The Mexican Canadian Cyborg was hilarious.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cobalt blue with gold trim.

Sick.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Chaaaaad Looooowe

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

FireWorksWell posted:

Chaaaaad Looooowe

Yyyyeeeeeeeeeesssssss?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...569093d60a9304&

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it's fun to see how the style of the opening changed over the years, s4 -> s5 -> s6

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Stan's lost some weight...and some height, too, but I can't tell if the latter is just perspective.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Huh they lowered his mouth more into his jaw. It makes him look way friendlier.

Stan season 3 on is such a weird character. He’s genuinely terrible yet somehow lovable. You see him doing just awful poo poo and treating people terribly yet somehow you root for him.

I guess this is just good comedy character design now that I think about it but it stands out thinking of early season Stan where his post 9/11 neocon attitude is played almost straight compared to later seasons when whole strings of episodes pass without it being a factor at all or, if it is, it’s in the context of looking for Ollie North’s Gold.

Now I have the Olly North song stuck in my head.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

It makes it look more like a lantern jaw than an elephant man kind of situation

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Tom Tucker posted:

Stan season 3 on is such a weird character. He’s genuinely terrible yet somehow lovable. You see him doing just awful poo poo and treating people terribly yet somehow you root for him.

I guess this is just good comedy character design now that I think about it but it stands out thinking of early season Stan where his post 9/11 neocon attitude is played almost straight compared to later seasons when whole strings of episodes pass without it being a factor at all or, if it is, it’s in the context of looking for Ollie North’s Gold.

Now I have the Olly North song stuck in my head.

Just because it was technically High Treason!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How many alternate Stans have there been, anyway? The two I can think of being cyborg Stan from the future and Stanferatu.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Mordja posted:

How many alternate Stans have there been, anyway? The two I can think of being cyborg Stan from the future and Stanferatu.

There were a few other Stans in the Stanferatu episode (like Slender Stan). Hayley saw a few alternate Stans on her multiverse jaunt. There was that Stan that was in a printer. There was Stan's body double who we haven't seen since Hayley dated him. We never actually saw them, but we can infer two alternate Stans from a White Porsche Christmas; the one who was initially punished by getting the family with Francine and the one who didn't have a family at all. The Golden Turd Stan died and no longer exists because of time travel I think and I feel like there's at least one other future Stan who no longer exists because of time travel but I'm blanking (not the divorced Stan from Klaus's fantasy world though, that wasn't real). There was the Stan who let Earth get nuked out of existence and was replaced by a perfect duplicate eons later by aliens who liked mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Rabbit Ears has a Stan stuck inside the tv in the basement.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Ravenson posted:

There was the Stan who let Earth get nuked out of existence and was replaced by a perfect duplicate eons later by aliens who liked mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I know everyone hated that episode but I loved it. The ESports jokes were all spot on and the commentators were amazing. "America will start, ironically, defending their home turf against Vietnam!" "I think their strategy was to be good, but they just didn't execute!"

Plus it gave us the USA culture pod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNQ9pvxXCkQ&t=67s

What an amazing joke.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I really liked that episode too! It was kinda weird learning that was an actual game but it's not like AD! hasn't done product placement before.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
AD has strange versions of product placement where you can't really tell if it is or not.

The Topo Chico refs in a recent ep, for example.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

limp_cheese posted:

I know everyone hated that episode but I loved it. The ESports jokes were all spot on and the commentators were amazing. "America will start, ironically, defending their home turf against Vietnam!" "I think their strategy was to be good, but they just didn't execute!"

Plus it gave us the USA culture pod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNQ9pvxXCkQ&t=67s

What an amazing joke.

Weirdly, I don't know that there are any American Dad episodes that I hate. There's some I definitely don't love as much as the others but even stuff like the Chinese billionaire doesn't piss me off the way that it seems to piss off others. I can't tell if I'm a better fan for loving the show unconditionally or a worse one for not holding it to any particular standards.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Neeksy posted:

AD has strange versions of product placement where you can't really tell if it is or not.

The Topo Chico refs in a recent ep, for example.

Or the entire episode about Mr Pibb that ended in a pitch for the very real Pibb extra which did replace Mr Pibb years ago.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Which is a fine product, but the Doctor soda genre is a weird one to try to Xtremify.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

The march continues as we enter season 4 and you are all blessed with my Gold Top 5:
e1 - 1600 Candles: "It's your birthday Roger, make a wish." "It already came true" *single red pubic hair lands on birthday cake* "I hate Steve so much." - Strong start to the season. Francine's reaction to having to deal with Steve's puberty followed by the sequence of Hailey going through it. Steve's rise and inevitable fall. Stan and Francine jamming giant needles into Steve's head.
e2 - The One That Got Away: "Wait, you spent $700 just to steal $10 gloves?" - Might be an obvious premise but it was done well and a lot of fun.
e5 - Escape from Pearl Bailey: "YOU, SHALL, NOT, PASS" *cue Joy Division* - Probably my favourite of the season, just so many great moments. The election and revenge plot feels like an episode by itself but it just keeps going! "We're not taking any of them with us!"
e7 - Phantom of the Telethon: "Just riiiiiiiiight." "Joke killer, he's a joke killer" - That tune from the keyboard still gets stuck in my head sometimes.
e12 - Roy Rogers McFreely: "Hang on Speakerphone!" - There's just something about the episodes which pit Roger against Stan that click.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mordja posted:

Don't forget Gorilla jetpack Stan, that AOE uprising is gonna happen annnnnny day now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ravenson posted:

Weirdly, I don't know that there are any American Dad episodes that I hate. There's some I definitely don't love as much as the others but even stuff like the Chinese billionaire doesn't piss me off the way that it seems to piss off others. I can't tell if I'm a better fan for loving the show unconditionally or a worse one for not holding it to any particular standards.

My absolute least favorite was the My Morning Jacket ep.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There was a remarried Stan in the concrete universe

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's probably the only episode I skip a scene on in the series, but it's got some great little jokes, like Stan talking to himself in the parking lot about how he plans to get Hayley out of the concert and that random guy going "And then what're you gonna do?"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The motion passes, congratulations Bayou Billy With The Heavy Balls.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I bleed silver and ocean lime!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think Demolition Daddy is a dull episode.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Mister Kingdom posted:

Actually yeah, that one is probably one of the worst in my opinion. I don't know that I dislike it though, just I never feel enthusiastic about it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
edit nvm

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

In a different universe, you have different tattoos

Francine loves Muppet Treasure Island

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's something about Spring Break Up that makes me never want to rewatch it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ravenson posted:

Actually yeah, that one is probably one of the worst in my opinion. I don't know that I dislike it though, just I never feel enthusiastic about it.

It's worse than American Fung

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"American Fung" is a really fun episode...outside of the Fung Wah parts.

I watched the episode with The Weeknd today and that's a definite clunker. This show should stay away from doing episodes about real world musical artists.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I think American Fung was just a bit too inside-baseball in its metaness and doesn't really land its jokes (but you see how it would have been funny to its creators)

My Morning Straightjacket has grown on me over time - the stuff with the band itself doesn't work at all for me and sort of grinds the momentum of the episode to a halt, and I think it's at least in part because the show is seemingly way too deferential to them as they play themselves (which usually corresponds with bad guest spots for AD, the good/memorable ones generally have people acting as deranged as the main cast - i.e. Robert Wuhl, CeeLo, Forrest Whitaker, etc.)

that said, a lot of the stuff around it does work and there are some reasonably good gags there (sequence where headphone stan keeps nearly killing the family, the flatulent bootlegger, the almost famous parody, Francine's rock sherpa, etc.)

not a top episode, but the basis for a reasonable one that just falls short in some areas and has a weird off vibe

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Ravenson posted:

It's just kind of weirdly fawning and too serious about a real band. If it had been a fake, parody band I think the episode works. But as it is, there's that crazy long music sequence with basically no jokes in it, just weird visuals and the non-joke about Stan missing the robbery. And so much time is wasted on montages and sets, like Francine getting him into the show or getting Haley out. There's a couple of working jokes in it, I remember most of Roger's bits being good. But there's so much unfunny stuff packed around it.

A rare miss. At least American Fung has the bits with the talent show and Stan's escape attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

JethroMcB posted:

"American Fung" is a really fun episode...outside of the Fung Wah parts.

I watched the episode with The Weeknd today and that's a definite clunker. This show should stay away from doing episodes about real world musical artists.

Like I've said before American Fung has to have been them digging up an old unfinished and rejected script(the "Stan has Francine put into an insane asylum" plot) and then stapling on all the dumb meta bits to pad it out to a full episode run time rather than properly finish it