Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Meadowhill posted:

Is there a specific thread people are researching the dark id thing cause this is fascinating

I dunno if this is what you're looking for but the sagas/legends thread has been having a field day with it

this one got goldmined today even

E: Current thread is here but also it's very much a gossipy old hands chat thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't normally let myself get distracted at work for more than a minute or two but one of my employees called my office and said he had walked by my door a few times over the past half hour and was concerned because my mouth was agape each time.

What. The. gently caress.

You do you, Speedball. You deserve better friends than that. Hell, I'll be your friend. You like dark beer?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Dark Beer

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Echoing the 'here if you need a bud' sentiment Speedball, I return to your XCOM LP practically every 3 months or so

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Leal posted:

Did he even try promoting his patreon while telling all these stories? Like he didn't even try to profit off all that.

only time he mentioned patreon to my memory was when lowtax reached the event horizon of shittiness and finding an alternate place for things like screenshot LPs that don't have a direct escape route of twitch or youtube. Until lowtax completed the lowtax% run stuff was crossposted on patreon.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ya know I very well might make more LPs because of this. I broke down seven years ago. Now that I don't have emotional abuse looming over me I might actually heal. I'm feeling surprsingly great.

I've yet to have a beer that tasted good to me, but I like me a Shark Bite drink.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

FeyerbrandX posted:

only time he mentioned patreon to my memory was when lowtax reached the event horizon of shittiness and finding an alternate place for things like screenshot LPs that don't have a direct escape route of twitch or youtube. Until lowtax completed the lowtax% run stuff was crossposted on patreon.

I think the patreon was only ever a tip jar sort of thing. Never got the impression he was trying to make a loving off of it, and I think he knew that would have been a tall ask for what he was doing

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Speedball posted:

I've yet to have a beer that tasted good to me, but I like me a Shark Bite drink.

Beer is gross to me as well, I like hard lemonades instead.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Gummy Joe posted:

Cripes, you're still here??

Yeah I'm waiting to do X-men Legends II with you. :mad:

(I was gone for a while and then I came back because I have nothing better to do with my life.)

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I also think Hikari is cheap.

mercurially
May 7, 2022

Gaining back pain stacks at the speed of light!
This entire situation is so bizarre I don’t even know what I’m feeling. I read his LPs years ago on the archive, followed him on twitter till he nuked it, cried when his daughter died, and I guess never paid close enough attention to pick up on anything weird because who the gently caress lies about something like that. My impression of him was an ex-military guy with a family who got into video games, which isn’t a terribly uncommon story.

I was in the discord but super inactive and I guess I just never caught any of the fake pmc showboating. I did think it odd that he had an exact timeline for death and was spending his incredibly finite time on a discord and not, like, with family—but then I saw slowbeef’s post and when you lay it all out on the table wow yeah he was absolutely bullshitting all of that huh.

poo poo’s wild, dude. :psyduck:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Coolguye posted:

the roofies thing MIGHT have been best friend skull instead, who got like 3/4ths of the way through a risk of rain LP and then also self-incriminated as a rapist.

i don't remember any of the fine specifics of the situation, though.

Doesn't seem like it, he tweeted on a private account that he got to third base non-consensually then when someone brought it up publically months later he said oh, it turned out it was actually consensual, I just hadn't asked her at the time. Which I guess is why the perma message is vague, but it's still a perma.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Speedball posted:

Ya know I very well might make more LPs because of this. I broke down seven years ago. Now that I don't have emotional abuse looming over me I might actually heal. I'm feeling surprsingly great.

rum, blue curacao, simple syrup, and grenadine? decent choice. if there's some way to get it to you that you're comfortable with i'll make sure it happens. seems the least i can do for seeing something, suspecting something, and not saying something sooner.

Polsy posted:

Doesn't seem like it, he tweeted on a private account that he got to third base non-consensually then when someone brought it up publically months later he said oh, it turned out it was actually consensual, I just hadn't asked her at the time. Which I guess is why the perma message is vague, but it's still a perma.

we have only the best people here in Let's Play

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I don't want to Cassandra myself again because I called Id being the Koala's March of Let's Play like an hour before the story about all his alts broke, but lol if this results in baldurk ripping all of his LPs down from the LP Archive like he did with Azure_Horizon's when it turned out he was a serial rapist.

It turns out Baldurk is also TDI and he removes everyone else's LP's.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Actual answer is I'm taking a break due to burnout and feeling like I'm not really adding much to what I'm presenting. Still 50/50 on continuing, and if anyone else wants to LP it I'd be happy to share my resources and stuff, but for now I don't feel like pumping out long updates for a long RPG. Might tackle a dumb ROM hack or something short and goofy if I find the right game.

next year's donation incentive for four job fiesta will be once again remembering dr. tot until you resume.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speedball posted:

I have spent the last three months in therapy over this poo poo, beating myself up. But you know what? I feel better right now. Because if all the drama was manufactured, it wasn't on me at all.
Ok, at this point I think I say "gently caress TDI". Like, the whole "lying for attention/Internet clout" thing is one thing, and actually mildly entertaining in a way even if I did fall for the "my daughter died during surgery" bit he did in his Shadow Hearts 2 LP. But when your manufactured LP Drama sends somebody to therapy you done hosed up.

Speedball posted:

Good to hear this revelation has improved your mental health, though. I'm not familiar with your past LP content personally, but I'll be keeping an eye out for whatever you choose to do in the future!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Polsy posted:

I swear they were also underage but again I might be mixing up someone else

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Good to hear this revelation has improved your mental health, though. I'm not familiar with your past LP content personally, but I'll be keeping an eye out for whatever you choose to do in the future!

Speedball's Civ 5 Big Boss LP is a pretty good read

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Runa posted:

Big Boss as in Metal Gear Solid Big Boss? I'm not sure I'm familiar enough with MGS to get what that's going for, never having played the games and only knowing some of the more popular memes about the series.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Speedball posted:

This friendship cannot be. Going to the QT after a long day and grabbing a couple tall boys is one of life's greatest pleasures

(No but really I'm totally in your corner, taking control of your mental health and this internet stranger is incredibly proud of you)

(and to add onto the confessions here I'm not Jewish nor a nocturnal digger of trash)

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 5, 2024

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
He also did a pretty neat XCOM: Enemy Within LP that was really good.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Runa posted:

His X-COM: Enemy Within LP was also top notch.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

Jamesman posted:

Yeah I'm waiting to do X-men Legends II with you. :mad:

(I was gone for a while and then I came back because I have nothing better to do with my life.)

Well I've gotten a better mic, and my comics collection has only grown. Otoh I've also gotten married and significantly more employed. So it's a tossup as to my availability lol

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Commander Keene posted:

Big Boss as in Metal Gear Solid Big Boss? I'm not sure I'm familiar enough with MGS to get what that's going for, never having played the games and only knowing some of the more popular memes about the series.

They ran a modded Civ 5 game as a custom MSF Faction
https://lparchive.org/Civilization-V-Peace-Walker/

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Commander Keene posted:

i never played MGS really and that LP was a fun read.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Commander Keene posted:

I only ever played MGS1 and that LP is still one of my favorite ever.

I haven't posted an LP in over a decade (:corsair:) but I still felt the need to come in here and post "what the absolute gently caress" because, well, what the absolute gently caress. I remember thinking Dark Id's RE4 LP was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen in 2007 (although looking back on it some of the humor is more, uh, questionable today even outside of all this drama) and I still think of him as being one of the "founders" of this subforum, so to speak. This is so loving insane.

Speedball, I don't know you at all but your LPs are great and you didn't and don't deserve the poo poo this fucker put you through. I hope this support from a complete rando gives you some small amount of peace.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Fedule posted:

What's throwing me is that, like, normally we are used to a person turning out to have done some extremely bad poo poo, and this, other than to the extent of having farmed a lot of sympathy over very emotive subjects, like cancer and the loss of children, isn't that. This is... the great misdeed is having done nothing, and it is completely removed from why we liked the guy in the first place. Most of us never even heard many of the lies he told. It's all just. As reputation explosions go, this one is just weird.

Milkshake Duck, except instead of being racist the big reveal is that he drops his pants and sings The Old Grey Mare while doing an awkward hobbling dance.

EDIT: Having read further along, I'm real sorry to Speedball for having suffered legit psychological harm from this mess. That sucks. This has been kind of a bemusing spectacle to me more than anything as a recent addition to the LP Forum community, but anyone who TDI honestly hurt deserves better. :(

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 5, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Yeah, sorry to hear about all that mess, Speedball. If it's any consolation, count me in as one of your fans for your Civ LPs. The MGS one in particular felt like it captured the spirit of the series perfectly.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Coolguye posted:

best friend skull instead, who got like 3/4ths of the way through a risk of rain LP and then also self-incriminated as a rapist.

Tha gently caress? The last bit of major drama i recall (i checked out for a good while after Lowtax got publically outed) was slowbeef needing to explain to some cops what LPs were so they'd do a wellfare check on ritcheyz after the latter got outed for being a huge creep to skoolmunkee smong other things.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Runa posted:

I strongly recommend Speedball's Civ 5 LP. It is in the top 10 ranking of best LPs on the archive. I've read it about as much as I've read Boatmurdered and Princess Maker 2. I believe this authentically, you have storytelling talent.
https://lparchive.org/Civilization-V-Peace-Walker/

Hi internet people, I've been lurking on SA for like fifteen years now mostly just to read Let's Plays. Dark Id is why I finally paid up to join the site, so I could get those sweet FFX updates from him. They are legit good. A lot of the language in the older ones didn't age well but for the most part Dark Id's LPs are why I'm even here. I consider them gold. His writing means a great deal to me. I have very fond memories of reading and re-reading these and getting laughs out of them, particularly in times when I really needed those laughs.

So, it is freaking wild to me that this man was apparently still running an old-fashioned internet fake life this entire time like it's still 1996 and we're in Compuserve chat rooms all pretending to be super-hackers or super ultra green berets or some poo poo. I don't know how to process it.
It's like... why? He didn't even benefit financially from it. The patreon was explicitly "hey, this is a tip jar if you liked the stuff I've been writing for the past decade and a half". This level of sustained effort and a long con for.. what? A gag?

Like, even Andy Kaufmann, greatest absurdist who ever lived, didn't fake dying from cancer. Andy faked being well. Because dying from cancer ain't funny.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

citybeatnik posted:

Tha gently caress? The last bit of major drama i recall (i checked out for a good while after Lowtax got publically outed) was slowbeef needing to explain to some cops what LPs were so they'd do a wellfare check on ritcheyz after the latter got outed for being a huge creep to skoolmunkee smong other things.

that also happened, though i shouldn't say too much beyond that probably. skool told me a fair bit about the situation when i worked with her on Dishonored 2 but i'm not certain how much of it i'm supposed to repeat.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

bladededge posted:

Like, even Andy Kaufmann, greatest absurdist who ever lived, didn't fake dying from cancer. Andy faked being well. Because dying from cancer ain't funny.

Oddly enough I watched a documentary recently about a British stand up comedian, Bob Monkhouse, who did a special show for a select audience and faked being well on it.
I guess that's a recurring thing.

In hindsight I'm glad I joined LP subforum because Maxwell Lord watched a System Shock 2 LP I did with Swedish commentary. It wasn't pretty dire effort from me and now it only resides on a harddrive.
Pretty sure Dailymotion is dead anyway. :v:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Coolguye posted:

that also happened, though i shouldn't say too much beyond that probably. skool told me a fair bit about the situation when i worked with her on Dishonored 2 but i'm not certain how much of it i'm supposed to repeat.

Oh I absolutely don't need nor want you to - i'm just glad she's in a better place. And it was good to see her crop up in that LP. It was more me going "wait that's what happened to skull?" and laying out the last drama i recallrd. Once i started watching LPs instead of reading them i drifted away from the subforum.

Glad to see scruffy's okay though.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

and here I am weighted down with the sins of patching over some emulator glitches that no one but I would ever have noticed and making jokes that aren't funny.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Remastering all of Dark Ud’s lps by using the same screenshots and claiming it was my dead uncle’s last wish when I am called out.

And the jokes are more problematic.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Holy poo poo lmao.

Who's gonna SSLP Yoko Taro's next game now?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

Holy poo poo lmao.

Who's gonna SSLP Yoko Taro's next game now?

The Dark Ego

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The ORIGINAL plan was that Id would announce he kicked cancer's rear end and would announce it in the LP

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

havent really posted in lp for a while, but as someone whos known about thedarkid for a couple of years, i think its okay to feel fooled. a lot of the vague poo poo he said in his lps were really mostly semi-believable stuff and it was really just kind of an open secret depending on who ya talked to or somehow saw his wild discord poo poo. and besides if you just scrutinize everyone saying semi-normal poo poo, ur just gonna drive urself crazy. anyway peace, hope the year treats you goons well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
just wanna say that what i am happiest of all for is seeing a bunch of peeps who havent posted in LP in a while here in the Sandcastle. perhaps this bringing of goons together was TheDarkId's real gift to us all :unsmith: