Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

lollybo posted:

Sorry this is an older post, I just bought a canon 1.4 (one of my above photos was taken with it) after seeing multiple positive reviews. It blocks the finder on the Leica III however, how did you get past that part? I ordered a voigtlander Kontur finder, but it’s hard to get used to.

Honestly I just kind of wing it. I know what else is in the scene so having the bottom right third or so of the frame obscured isn't a huge deal for me. I have an external viewfinder as well but I only use that for my 85 and 135.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023
Thanks for the help earlier on identifying how to fix the scratch on my negatives. I cleaned out the pressure plate and surrounding areas and the last roll I put through the camera came out just fine.

So I was just messaging this guy on marketplace about his 100mm lens and he asked me if I was interested in this bundle: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/357200710475775/

I already have an OM-1n but this seems like a great deal to me from my limited research. I figure I can turn around and sell his camera with my zuiko 50mm f1.8 and keep the rest of the lens.

edit: i bit the bullet

grilledcheese fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 20, 2024

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

illcendiary posted:

I ended up just going for it since I had some spare time this morning. 1+50, 13:00 @ 67F, Ilfostop and Kodafix. Honestly the images look lovely; the ones that don't are because I was a little too optimistic with my perceived lighting (i.e. the indoors ones with artificial lighting at night look kinda crappy). But the ones taken outdoors look good. I'd share except my photos are basically all of my family. I will say, I was a little nervous when I drained the tank of developer and the water was purple. I did not know about that effect with Rodinal (or at least Rodinal + Tri-X) and so I thought I had melted my film or something.

I'll probably try again with a roll of HP5 just for kicks given that I have a whole bottle of the stuff and it apparently keeps relatively well. I did notice that B&H had the D76 powder back in stock (that wasn't the case a few weeks back), so I went ahead and ordered some to have on hand just in case.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I think the purple water is from antihalation dyes washing off, it happens with colour film too. I normally pre-wash my colour film to get it up to temperature and the wash water comes out a different colour depending on the brand of film (Kodak colour film wash water comes out green). Doesn't cause any issues.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I threw another roll in my auction find Canon setup, and boy is it difficult to focus without a rangefinder or light meter. I thought I had adjusted the rangefinder correctly, but no. The film is Kodak Ultramax 400, blender 0.95, and the camera settings are mostly guesswork.

Got a couple of cool double (one and a half?) exposures though:

I don't know if I'm ready to dive into film photography just yet, but it would sure be fun to find a fully working Canon Model 7 to try out.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I like the half exposures. Also you're braver than I am, I'd never try to take a picture without being able to focus unless I was stopped all the way down.

Now that I think back on it all but one of my auction cameras have had issues that you couldn't see and have needed to be serviced. And the one exception is my old AF movie camera that doesn't even really have a way to check focus.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What 120 film should I pick up for B&W portraiture under studio lights? I don't have any info on how bright they are or what ISO settings are usually used, so I need to ballpark something that probably has a bit of latitude to push or pull. I want to try something finer grained than HP5+ which is my normal to-to.

E: Delta 100 maybe? I've only used Delta P3200 (and pushed quite beyond 3200 at that), so I'm not sure how the 100 actually looks grain wise.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

My personal absolute favorite for black and white portraits is Fuji Acros 100. It's just so smooth yet sharp at the same time.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Acros, Delta 100, T-max 100 if you want zero grain.

FP4+ if you still want some grain, but finer than HP5+.

Ilford Ortho might be cool if you want to bring out freckles.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I didn't think TMax was available in 120, and is FP4+ still available? I'll look and see what I can get at the local shops, but I might need to go online for some of those options.

E: found the snap I took of the menu. It was that TMax 3200 isn't available in 120. Some bad OCR here

120 - Black and white
Fomapan 100 - $6.50 - Fomapan 400 - $ 6.60
IlFORD PANF $10.65
Il ford HPS Plus 400-$10.50
Il ford FP4 Plus 125-$10.20
Kodak Tri-X 400 - $11.00 -
KODAK TMAX 100-$12.00 EXPIRED 6-22
KODAK TMAX 400 - $11.50
ILFORD DELTA 3200-$17.95

carticket fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 27, 2024

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I know Cinestill is supposed to be evil

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have they actually taken action on any other companies that are re-spooling cinema film? It feels like they just made a bunch of noise about it and then backed down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I could be convinced that this is a painting

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Have they actually taken action on any other companies that are re-spooling cinema film? It feels like they just made a bunch of noise about it and then backed down.

I haven’t heard of other companies losing actually losing money, which is a good thing. I think the film industry should be supportive of each other to keep it going as long as possible.

Thanks for the compliment- I shoot for fun. I bought a medium format camera and I’m eager to start using it as well. I’m more of a street photography type of shooter so not sure how lugging around a huge camera is going to go.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

lollybo posted:

I bought a medium format camera ... not sure how lugging around a huge camera is going to go.

I recently picked up a Bessa II and holy crap is that thing tiny. As in, it is not significantly bigger than my A7R3.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Which camera? My Bronica S2 is the biggest I'd take on holiday but I recently got a Moskva-5 and it's 6x9 and very light and compact.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Megabound posted:

Which camera? My Bronica S2 is the biggest I'd take on holiday but I recently got a Moskva-5 and it's 6x9 and very light and compact.

Very nice that’s quite an advanced camera! How do you like it? I got a Mamiya RZ67 and that thing is quite a tank. I felt pretty conspicuous walking around in a park. Other than the size, this thing is a joy to use. I do have a Zeiss Ikon Nettax coming in the mail that should be smaller.

https://www.cameracenterofyork.com/hats/zeiss-ikon-nettax-75mm-f45?utm_medium=email&utm_source=customer_notification

theHUNGERian posted:

I recently picked up a Bessa II and holy crap is that thing tiny. As in, it is not significantly bigger than my A7R3.

Nice I have seen that camera during my own research, please share photos you take in this thread. I figure the Zeiss Ikon I got has a similar form factor and these cameras are the better choice than cameras like the Hasselblad for long hikes

lollybo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 29, 2024

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Ah yeah, that makes sense. The RZ and RB are tanks. The Bronica GS-1 is as large as I'd want to go for 6x7. Most of my photography is done hiking and I've learned me weight limits.

My Bronica S2 is my "serious" camera and probably the camera I shoot the most. I've been shooting IR with it of late.

This is my current working stable. Never mind the two Autocords I was repairing one for a friend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm just gonna put this out there: the floppy mavica is the most bad rear end camera there :colbert:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's true! I use it all the time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We used to have one at a company I worked for, not only with the floppies to shoot on, but the goofy rear end sony memorystick magic-gate whatever memory stick for when you didnt feel like waiting for the floppy. I genuinely loved shooting on that camera.

In weird point and shoot news, I am searching for a good everyday carry film P&S, and so far my thrift store search has brought me a Pentax IQZoom 110, which I really like, but it has a cracked hinge on the film door, which I didnt notice until after I had already bought it. Its nice though, it has a bulb mode, and a really long lens. I'm worried about light leaks though

Today the thrift store gods brought me a Canon SureShot 76 Zoom. It appears to be physically fine, and is in fantastic cosmetic shape. The lens isnt as long as the Pentax, and it doesnt have a macro mode as far as I can tell, like the Pentax has, but it does have a date mode that understands 2024, unlike the Pentax (I'm sure it thinks its 1924, but when its only printing the last two numbers, that doesnt matter) and it has physical controls for some things rather than all buttons, and it has a really nice viewfinder.

We'll see if it works out

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The issue with the pentax 67 isn't the mass of the camera itself it's if you want to bring a few lenses along. They're all bricks.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I will stan the Bronica GS-1 all day but I will say that I've been massively enjoying shooting with the Bronica S2A. I never really put much stock into 6x6 but shooting the format with the S2A has been surprisingly gratifying.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The S2s are very satisfying cameras to use and the small lenses are perfect. I usually take the 50 and 75 with me but will happily carry the 200 as well

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Megabound posted:

The S2s are very satisfying cameras to use and the small lenses are perfect. I usually take the 50 and 75 with me but will happily carry the 200 as well

I take the Holy Trinity with me (50, 75, 150). I’ve been thinking about getting the 200 but I have to curtail my spending for a while.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Went on a film run this morning, and my local walmart seems to have stopped stocking 35mm film? I didnt see a place on the shelf for it at least. They seem to have gone all in on Instax and Polaroid, which I'm not mad about, but they used to stock 3-packs of Fuji 400, which was great for testing cameras, and putting P&S cameras through their paces.

Thankfully my local Walgreens is keeping it real and stocking Ultramax 400, but single rolls only. Oh well, I guess thats what the Canon P&S is getting tested with.

Either way, I'm hoping my local walmart is just out of stock or transitioning to a different brand or something, they still have a ton of 35mm disposables on the shelves, but if they stop carrying 35mm altogether, that would suck

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Finally dipping into scanning my own film with the v600 i bought 4 years ago. Silverfast seems to be extremely jank, dust and hair everywhere, but at least everything seems sharp so thats good.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Does anyone know a place in the US that would work on a Bessa II? I have a severe light leak that mostly impacts the rebate but also the edge of the frame, and it lines up with the frame numbers on the backing paper so I think it is a light leak from the frame counter window. I've tried covering it up when not in use, but it still leaks like crazy with ISO250 film.

Edit: Or could it be something in the winding mechanism? The leak after the last frame is inconsistent with the frame counter hypothesis because I am certain it was covered up after the last shot was taken. Also, the shape of the leak is more complex for just a simple leak past the frame counter.(?)

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 3, 2024

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I noticed a small wrinkle in my Leica IIIf cloth shutter. I honestly don't remember if this was already present when I got my camera. I hope I didn't accidentally damage it if I was putting on and removing collapsible lenses on it.

Send it in or keep shooting? I favor keep shooting as I suspect it was like this prior. My pictures seem to be just fine with the camera.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I'm no expert but since I'm also shooting a III, I'll chime in - is there something loaded right now? If your film is bunched up badly it can push against the curtain like that. If not, and it just kinda looks like that, I'd run it through the range of shutter speeds with the lens off and see if anything looks amiss. If any speed hangs up noticeably then I'd send it in, or if you end up having trouble loading in the future.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It’s fine

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

doomisland posted:

Finally dipping into scanning my own film with the v600 i bought 4 years ago. Silverfast seems to be extremely jank, dust and hair everywhere, but at least everything seems sharp so thats good.

I've been struggling along with the V600 for a few years. I'm no expert but here's my take:

Dust removal: I've got cats and can get very low dust rates, so its possible. Use the rocket blower things, wear the white cotton gloves while handling. Just remove the dust any way that doesn't scratch it, the gloves wont leave oils or scratch the film while handling especially if its some annoying curly poo poo. Choose your film drying area with some common sense and throw it into the archival sleeves asap.

Film holder: The default ones work but they are frustrating, flimsy and janky to use. Lomography DigitaLIZA is actually much nicer to use, but youll only be able to scan 6x 35mm exposures at once but you'll also get 90% of the perf area too which is nice for tone adjustments since you can see the unexposed parts of the film and the pure, no-light holes. Add some small slices of gaff tape or similar to the top of the folding clamp areas that contact the perf area of film so it clamps it stronger and doesn't just slip out if you are shooting curly film (I'm looking at you, Tri-x). I've tried adapting Epson film holders from other scanners with anti-newton glass and that poo poo doesn't work for the V600.

Silverfast: It's jank as gently caress so just scan as DNGs or TIFF and fix in PS/Lightroom. Epsonscan is not terrible but being forced into JPGs right at the scanner level is a bad workflow in my opinion, especially because the previews aren't super accurate. DNG/TIFFs hold way more depth than this scanner can give it. Silverfast also might not have the built-in emulsion curves you are shooting (e.g. delta3200, etc) so get all the bit depth you can at scan and tweak later.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Will the digitaliza work with the lower end Epson scanners that only have a slot for the top light? Does the 600 light the entire top platen?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Will the digitaliza work with the lower end Epson scanners that only have a slot for the top light? Does the 600 light the entire top platen?

Enough to use the Digitaliza

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I finally have some footage to share from my 16mm motion picture camera and I have to say making movies is really dang cool. Here's a sloppily edited clip I got of two friends skiing down a hill at an air BNB, synced with audio from a phone. Shot on my bell & Howell filmo 70dr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZYjeWQqPn4

I only have some random clips and nothing cohesive or 'good' so far since I've just been testing out equipment. I'd like to make a little video about spring and some other things at some point though.

I dove in head first and since December I've blown the fun money portion of my work bonus on collecting cameras and lenses. So far I have 3 cameras and 2 sets of 3 prime lenses. I can talk about my experiences with the different cameras if anyone cares.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

a dingus posted:

I finally have some footage to share from my 16mm motion picture camera and I have to say making movies is really dang cool. Here's a sloppily edited clip I got of two friends skiing down a hill at an air BNB, synced with audio from a phone. Shot on my bell & Howell filmo 70dr

I only have some random clips and nothing cohesive or 'good' so far since I've just been testing out equipment. I'd like to make a little video about spring and some other things at some point though.

I dove in head first and since December I've blown the fun money portion of my work bonus on collecting cameras and lenses. So far I have 3 cameras and 2 sets of 3 prime lenses. I can talk about my experiences with the different cameras if anyone cares.

This looks awesome! It says something about how cinema has used the old film aesthetic that I immediately thought this felt like the beginning of a 2000s found footage horror movie.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

a dingus posted:

This looks great - I have a Filmo 70DL with a 17mm B&H, 25mm Angenieux f0.95, and some Kodak 68mm f2.7. I’ll get an actual 75mm Angenieux but overall it’s a very solid camera with great stability of the image relative to the K-3 which bounces a bit more.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Things conspired to make Foma Ortho 400 do the most halation it could.

This is after pulling 1 stop and using a low contrast developer.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

field balm posted:

This looks awesome! It says something about how cinema has used the old film aesthetic that I immediately thought this felt like the beginning of a 2000s found footage horror movie.

Thanks! I had the film scanned in log format so I had to color correct it. That's a fun process too but you can get a lot of different looks out of the film when you color correct yourself. I'm still no pro at it but Im getting a lot better.

Recoome posted:

This looks great - I have a Filmo 70DL with a 17mm B&H, 25mm Angenieux f0.95, and some Kodak 68mm f2.7. I’ll get an actual 75mm Angenieux but overall it’s a very solid camera with great stability of the image relative to the K-3 which bounces a bit more.

I had a Angenieux 15mm, Taylor & Hobson Super Comat 25mm and a B&H 75mm on the camera. I think this clip is mostly the 25mm but the 75mm for the shot of my friend trudging up the hill. I've since got a 75mm angenieux, 15mm switar, 25mm switar and 75mm switar. The switars have more cleaning marks but I really don't think Id be able to tell the difference between any of them as far as sharpness goes.

I actually bought a K3 on ebay shortly after my filmo because I thought I wanted a reflex camera. The K3 arrived with a busted zoom lens so I sent it back, but my first impressions of the thing were pretty good. The viewfinder is nice and the stock lens is supposed to be really good for a zoom. But I had heard about the jumpiness in the film. You can fix it in post but my filmo was designed 100 years ago and its as rock steady as any consumer 16mm camera. I've never felt the need to steady my stuff in post yet.

I have a Beaulieu R16 spring wind camera that just came back from servicing and a Bolex non-reflex H16 to try out so we'll see how nice those are. I'd recommend the filmo 100% for anyone who just wants to get into the hobby.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's looks too good for 16mm, that's so nice. I've always been interested but never enough to put down the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I veeeerryyyy nearly bought a Bolex but it’s hard to justify rn given how nice the Filmo is.