Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I WOULD NEVER RUN FROM FREEDOM BUT I DO LIKE THE SUBMACHINE GUN

IT DOES MORE DAMAGE THAN THE AR BY A GOOD AMOUNT

:(

Worf fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Apes-A-Poppin posted:

Ballistic Shield a universally bad stratagem? I've been rocking that and the Defender smg against bots whole day and loving it. It's been said before in this thread and I feel likewise, that just playing with what you like is a valid way to go. I'm still figuring out the game's system but it feels that there's lots of little niches a player can carve out for themselves.

i was running around with a laser rifle and laser canon earlier. you can use pretty much anything up until the point that measuring DPS in chargers per second becomes a thing

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
today I found out that the game can crash/get stuck on loading both while entering a mission and after completing it, for the whole team

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Apes-A-Poppin posted:

Ballistic Shield a universally bad stratagem? I've been rocking that and the Defender smg against bots whole day and loving it. It's been said before in this thread and I feel likewise, that just playing with what you like is a valid way to go. I'm still figuring out the game's system but it feels that there's lots of little niches a player can carve out for themselves.

I've been finding that anything is viable if you're used to it, and everything feels terrible if you're not. So people think everything except what they're used to using is terrible.

I love all the non-AP weapons and find the railgun/autocannon/RR/etc too restrictive and I don't at all find chargers for example to be a problem with small arms. They have several weakpoints that can be hit from any direction except straight in front of them, they're easy to circlestrafe, and they're a complete non-threat if you've cleared out all the smaller bugs and artillery fuckers already.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been finding that anything is viable if you're used to it, and everything feels terrible if you're not. So people think everything except what they're used to using is terrible.

a lot of weapons in this game are absolutely not viable at higher difficulties unless you're very skilled at running away from things

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I play on difficulty 8 and I haven't found anything that doesn't seem viable. My favorites are the Stalwart and Defender SMG and I'm starting to warm up to the Arc Thrower :shrug:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Buff Scythe imo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I play on difficulty 8 and I haven't found anything that doesn't seem viable. My favorites are the Stalwart and Defender SMG and I'm starting to warm up to the Arc Thrower :shrug:

the defender is actually good and the arc thrower is decidedly pretty OK.

i also think it's good to not take ehat is probably a glitch allowing any weapon to shoot through the heavy armor on chargers into consideration when talking about weapon balance and with that in mind the stalwart loving blows unless you're in a team that is running meta weapons to cover for you

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't use the glitch to kill chargers - they just straight up have several obviously-colored weak points on their inner legs and belly that you can shoot with small arms, and it's very easy to shoot them in first-person at close range (which is probably the safest place to be against chargers because you can run in circles and they'll stand in one place eternally rotating to face you)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I don't use the glitch to kill chargers - they just straight up have several obviously-colored weak points on their inner legs and belly that you can shoot with small arms, and it's very easy to shoot them in first-person at close range (which is probably the safest place to be against chargers because you can run in circles and they'll stand in one place eternally rotating to face you)

p sure that their only marked weakpoint is the butt that does 10% damage. i would believe that shooting them in the legs actually was intended if it worked before they did that specific animation, but it doesn't

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The butt is definitely not their only weak point because I blow off their legs with a SMG while they're standing still and haven't charged recently all the time, that's my primary way of killing them. The weak point is on the inside of their legs around the knee area and IIRC there's also one somewhere around where the legs connect to the body on the sides. I'll try to grab a screenshot next time I'm close to one but they're pretty easy to see once you realize they're there because they're the same color as the butt.

e: You can see them on this screenshot I found on google:

All of the parts that are the same color as the butt can be shot with non-AP weapons though I'm not sure if all weapons can hurt them there :shrug: The Breaker, Defender, and Stalwart can for sure. And with how slow they turn when you're close it's fairly easy to hit them there.

e2: I tried to record a video of this but they're way harder to do this to in a solo mission where they never turn to face anyone else and I got owned :saddowns:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 5, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what dicates how long the different turrets last?

gatling turret seems to vastly outlive the regular ol MG turret

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

i also think it's good to not take ehat is probably a glitch allowing any weapon to shoot through the heavy armor on chargers into consideration when talking about weapon balance and with that in mind the stalwart loving blows unless you're in a team that is running meta weapons to cover for you

the stalwart shjould just be a baseline weapon imo

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Worf posted:

what dicates how long the different turrets last?

gatling turret seems to vastly outlive the regular ol MG turret

Ammo or health

Gatling should be running out faster than the MG turret since it expends it's ammo faster but the MG turret, while ammo efficient, is weaker in damage and rate of fire so smaller enemies can swarm and kill them easier. The gatling turret creates a zone of death for anything not armored.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

just make a psn account on your spam email address, you dont need to go and get your old rear end account from 2009

i mean, i hope it stays optional but i dont see how it would be a deal breaker otherwise. it takes less than 5 minutes to set up and presumably you wont need to touch it ever again

Unless you are me, on which case it takes an hour to fail because they think youre an automaton and were never going to let you succeed.

(I eventually had a friend make a new account and give it to me to use to link to the game)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The arc thrower gets big points for essentially being a primary that's able to take on a charger 1v1 (slowly, but you don't really have to aim) while still efficiently dealing with medium bugs.

Arc Thrower/Rover/2 orbitals or airstrikes has been a pretty reliable load out for high level bug missions for me

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Apes-A-Poppin posted:

Once you're more experienced 99% of your bot deaths are from rocket devestators, hulk flamethrower / rocket launcher, or heavy devestators after the rockets knock you into the open.

The shield gets dropped when you ragdoll so it does basically nothing vs. Most of these.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I'm loving baffled by how missions go sideways. Tonight I was playing with a buddy on 4, and in all three missions we hit a spot where it was patrol after patrol after patrol coming at us with no way to stop it. Ended up counting 5 chargers and a bile titan and their associated friends and family and just giving up after exhausting all of our strategems. Not dawdling or anything, not going out of our way to pick fights, but just on the way to the primary.

What the hell causes this in the game AI? I've been trying to figure it out and read online that it's not closing enough holes beforehand, closing too many, taking too long, moving too quickly, certain planets are just turbofucked, certain times of day are turbofucked, or it's just a RNG and you're turbofucked.

It's the one aspect of this game that really just makes it unfun as hell. It's impossible to handle or run away from.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

turn off the TV posted:

How are chargers real lol

Like just walk away lol

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

DkHelmet posted:

I'm loving baffled by how missions go sideways. Tonight I was playing with a buddy on 4, and in all three missions we hit a spot where it was patrol after patrol after patrol coming at us with no way to stop it. Ended up counting 5 chargers and a bile titan and their associated friends and family and just giving up after exhausting all of our strategems. Not dawdling or anything, not going out of our way to pick fights, but just on the way to the primary.

What the hell causes this in the game AI? I've been trying to figure it out and read online that it's not closing enough holes beforehand, closing too many, taking too long, moving too quickly, certain planets are just turbofucked, certain times of day are turbofucked, or it's just a RNG and you're turbofucked.

It's the one aspect of this game that really just makes it unfun as hell. It's impossible to handle or run away from.

Don't stay and fight it. At all. Just book it. Leave. Break LOS and run before they start getting a dozen breaches. Stop and regroup after. Staying and fighting is how it snowballs, even on starting drop.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Also the longer a mission runs the heavier enemy strength gets. Hit and Run is the name of the game.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i've noticed missions have gotten a lot harder since i got fancier strategems and stopped bringing smoke and gas to chuck behind me and disengage while we run from a bug breach, i should probably start bringing gas again

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
worst case scenario someone volunteers to run interference while the other 3 run away and then reinforce them once the coast is clear. feels kinda nice telling everyone to just run and firing your railgun at a bile titan to get its attention

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

sometimes the spawns just instantly go apeshit, this is four chargers + a bile titan following right behind them not pictured that appeared seconds after the first bug breach. I've also seen a screenshot of two tanks side by side on difficulty 4

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

jokes posted:

How are chargers real lol

Like just walk away lol

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Worf posted:

the stalwart shjould just be a baseline weapon imo

It was in hell divers 1, dunno why they did it dirty by making it a call in here.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The arc thrower gets big points for essentially being a primary that's able to take on a charger 1v1 (slowly, but you don't really have to aim) while still efficiently dealing with medium bugs.

Arc Thrower/Rover/2 orbitals or airstrikes has been a pretty reliable load out for high level bug missions for me

Ever have the arc fire shoot but nothing happens? Fully charged shots just vanish into the ether, it seems to happen much more often when I'm above the target.

DkHelmet posted:

I think maps have points on the edge where patrols can enter, if you have an objective near one of these points it's rough. It's also slow boiling a frog. Ah well, we can kill this one patrol and the adds. Oh another patrol. Oh another patrol and more adds. Oh boy another. hooray.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stalwart seems like it would be pretty op as a primary tbh. The only current primary that is even close to as good as the Stalwart is the breaker and even then Stalwart has like, endless ammo and the breaker runs out pretty easily.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm completely ok with the LMG being a good choice to take as a primary if it was moved to that slot

They can nerf the mag size IDGAF

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
This game rules but I keep getting disconnected followed by the game freezing forcing me to use task manager to kill the process with absolutely nothing showing up in event viewer.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

Ever have the arc fire shoot but nothing happens? Fully charged shots just vanish into the ether, it seems to happen much more often when I'm above the target.

Oh for sure. No idea what it is, my guess is that the game thinks something's blocking the angle of the shot/arc, but honestly who knows

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yerok posted:

This game rules but I keep getting disconnected followed by the game freezing forcing me to use task manager to kill the process with absolutely nothing showing up in event viewer.

I haven’t had that yet although the game does enjoy occasionally just crashing itself right to desktop

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Had a nice glitch where after exiting the stats screen I suddenly flipped backwards over the railing and down into the hangar area. As I started moving around I then fell through the ship and began floating down to the planet until the ships were way above me. I ended up floating in low orbit with limbs flailing wildly for about 45 seconds until my teammates got in their hellpods where my pc then hard locked and required a manual shutdown lol.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So, how do nests work? Do they spawn patrols?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bloopsy posted:

Had a nice glitch where after exiting the stats screen I suddenly flipped backwards over the railing and down into the hangar area. As I started moving around I then fell through the ship and began floating down to the planet until the ships were way above me. I ended up floating in low orbit with limbs flailing wildly for about 45 seconds until my teammates got in their hellpods where my pc then hard locked and required a manual shutdown lol.

I had this dream last night too!!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

DkHelmet posted:

From what I know, as soon as you're not shooting an enemy and it's not attacking you, that enemy can call for another breach. The same thing can happen to any of the enemies spawned by said breach, and so on until the mission goes sideways - unless you clean them up with strikes or you just break LOS.

atelier morgan posted:

i've noticed missions have gotten a lot harder since i got fancier strategems and stopped bringing smoke and gas to chuck behind me and disengage while we run from a bug breach, i should probably start bringing gas again

DOT like gas and fire continually damage enemies, making it impossible for them to call for a breach. There are some videos of big loving nerds completing difficulty 9 missions solo. Apparently they often use flamethrower for this reason.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
it feels like you cant grenade launcher unless you also take the resupply backpack and thats two stratagems vs the autocannon which comes with a backpack and uses only 1 slot

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

it feels like you cant grenade launcher unless you also take the resupply backpack

most POIs have ammo crates
resupply strategem

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Spookydonut posted:

it feels like you cant grenade launcher unless you also take the resupply backpack and thats two stratagems vs the autocannon which comes with a backpack and uses only 1 slot

albeit i only see it when crewing up with my friends, but having somebody with grenade launcher + supply pack is great because they can get stuff done AND there's somebody who can hand out supplies while on the run

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Spookydonut posted:

it feels like you cant grenade launcher unless you also take the resupply backpack

Well it’s certainly not required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
autocannon definitely feels like it has more stamina, the only upside of the grenade launcher i can see is the easy reload.

i am very much in camp autocannon so maybe i'm just griping.