Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HouseofSuren posted:

Have you read about Artorias?
oh yeah buddy i've read all of the fates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Why can't I buy #10 percussion caps tho

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
tfw when Genoese Crossbowmen being OP in AOE2 is historically accurate

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

500excf type r posted:

Why can't I buy #10 percussion caps tho

We've been over this, there's a black powder shortage, because the US had a single factory producing it.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

We've been over this, there's a black powder shortage, because the US had a single factory producing it.

I have plenty of goex 3f and 2f powder and can go buy all I want tomorrow, it is readily available

Also I'm not sure how much black powder is involved in a percussion cap based on mixing up prime-all which seems to be carbon, sulphur, some sort of concessive explosive(maybe Mercury fulminate?), and a binder

500excf type r has issued a correction as of 01:41 on Mar 5, 2024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

tfw when Genoese Crossbowmen being OP in AOE2 is historically accurate
no joke, late-era crossbows were more effective and reliable at killing people than early firearms, which produced far more smoke than death at the end of the day

massed muskets were very loud, however, which did have a significant effect on morale, especially on receiving side. loud bangs followed immediately by a bunch of people suddenly bleeding to death all around made people go insane, but that poo poo is rarely present in simple rts games

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjagan

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

KomradeX posted:

The MQ-9 Reaper is a Longbow, the Houthi antiship ballistic missile is the matchlock. It's all on topic

Actually, I think you'd find the Apache to be a Longbow.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Truga posted:

no joke, late-era crossbows were more effective and reliable at killing people than early firearms, which produced far more smoke than death at the end of the day

massed muskets were very loud, however, which did have a significant effect on morale, especially on receiving side. loud bangs followed immediately by a bunch of people suddenly bleeding to death all around made people go insane, but that poo poo is rarely present in simple rts games

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hubbert posted:

and for everyone taking notes at home, the past two pages are why the us will lose ww3

this eventually connects to a prince of Rus listening to a witch, who tells him to create a land called Ukraine

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

I always feel like the staff sling doesn't get enough respect. It's easier to learn than a hand sling and you can launch heavier projectiles with it.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

BearsBearsBears posted:

I always feel like the staff sling doesn't get enough respect. It's easier to learn than a hand sling and you can launch heavier projectiles with it.

Sling bullets were extremely deadly. I think, like javelins, it's just that we're so removed from muscle powered weapons that nobody realizes how potent they were. People still hunt with bows, so you can visualize it, but the sling was learned from childhood by shepherds to protect their flocks, and that's hasn't been a thing in the western world in... a long time.

There are some modern scholars on Classical Greek and Hellenic Warfare who believe that the slingers and other peltasts were the most important part of the system and did most of the killing.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Sling bullets were extremely deadly. I think, like javelins, it's just that we're so removed from muscle powered weapons that nobody realizes how potent they were. People still hunt with bows, so you can visualize it, but the sling was learned from childhood by shepherds to protect their flocks, and that's hasn't been a thing in the western world in... a long time.

There are some modern scholars on Classical Greek and Hellenic Warfare who believe that the slingers and other peltasts were the most important part of the system and did most of the killing.

Speaking of javelins (or darts) and slings, there was the dumb-looking Kestros

This seems to have been developed to combine the power of a sling with the pointiness of a dart. It may have been used in only a single war.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Ah, the Raytheon interpretation of an atlatl.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

HouseofSuren posted:

You would never use a long bow outside of European warfare. it wouldn't work in large open areas where speed and agility would be key.

I mean Indians used longbows for quite a long time.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

HouseofSuren posted:

Apparently knights of the round most likely come from this guy, a dalmatian that was brought to the Island

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artoria_gens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Artorius_Castus

His name came from this region

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalmatia

If this is correct, he probably was like Skudra, who Persians considered a very western scythian people which included Macedonians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skudra

Phillips kingdom starts immediately as the province gets freedom and he's trained with Companion Cavalry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companion_cavalry

If you look up the origin of the term Immortals it's either Immortal or Companion based on a misunderstanding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortals_(Achaemenid_Empire)

Achaemenians don't record the name Immortal

However these do not record the name of "Immortals". It is suggested that Herodotus' informant has confused the word anûšiya- (lit. 'companion') with anauša- (lit. 'immortal'),[3] but this theory has been criticized by Rüdiger Schmitt.[2]

You know who else has companion cavalry? Cyrus the great.

I laugh when people think this was done on foot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythian_campaign_of_Darius_I

Darius conquers Macedon/Thrace/Dacia and marches into modern Ukraine/Crimea/Russia and defeats the scythians there

You are saying King arthur was Serbian?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Should show joules of force applied by the projectile. For example the Longbow has a higher draw weight compared to the asiatic recurve bow, but it has a lower draw length, so a equal powered draw weight recurve bow will have significantly more energy delivered to the projectile.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The new(ish) tentatively accepted theory about Crecy is that the Genoese were tired from having marched most of the day, were ordered to engage while their pavises were still with the baggage, advanced into the sun, and were shot down. After taking casualties to no good effect, the crossbowmen began an orderly withdrawal from the field at which time the "kill me this rabble" order of Charles de Alencon was issued. The French then launched headlong unorganized attacks against the prepared English positions and in the words of Jean Froissart in his Chronicles, "The lords and knights of France came not to the assembly together in good order, for some came before and some came after in such haste and evil order, that one of them did trouble another." The French forces threw away what should have been an assured victory (the French love affair with the "arme blanche" lasted until WWI) through arrogance and a belief that the cavalry charge would carry everything before it.

Cavalry charge = NATO air power

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Slavvy posted:

Cavalry charge = NATO air power = Legion's majestic slow cadence

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

it doesn't seem like it should be lethal, it's just a little strip of cloth and you spin it around, it looks so humble and mundane that it's difficult to imagine somebody being seriously injured or even killed by it

but when a lead slug hits you in the face at high velocity it's going to gently caress you up no matter what sent it your way

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Slavvy posted:

Nah, always been missiles and drones. We stopped flying over Russia for that fact alone.

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Tankbuster posted:

Artorias was a real guy based in modern England who was from that area, whether it was the basis for King Arthur is totally different.

It's a bit confusing but no one in history called themselves Thrace which is a label from the Hellenistic peoples, the peoples to the west Balkans were Illyrians, south Greeks, and northeast (modern Romania) called themselves Dahae/Dacia/Getae. Most likely a western equivalent of people like the Massagetae.

This is where Europe gets the word Dragon/Draco and the military standard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacian_Draco

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draco_(military_standard)

Draco is most likely a version of the Simorgh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simurgh

Pendragon and Arthur are not native names to the western europeans.

HouseofSuren has issued a correction as of 04:33 on Mar 5, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HouseofSuren posted:

Nah, always been missiles and drones. We stopped flying over Russia for that fact alone.

Every war game run by NATO assumes air supremacy and it's what allows them to dominate poor countries

I'm this regard it's exactly like aristocracy thinking a heavy cavalry charge will always be decisive and what let's them dominate poor people

In this analogy, cheaply available sams and drones are like the peasants getting crossbows

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Again, not peasants. A crossbow was very expensive, so was a pavise, so was armour. These were well paid, experienced, mercenaries.

Northern Italy was not Merry Olde England with Piers Ploughman plucking a bow.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Doktor Avalanche posted:

retreat into fantasy is a common defense mechanism

So you're saying that Zelensky is like Denethor rejecting the king in the north?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

HouseofSuren posted:

If you read the GBS and DND threads about this war you'd swear to god Ukraine was about to summon a Gundam and the fact that they don't even have an airforce or a navy isn't a big deal while on the retreat from large cities.

I'd rather have Russians and Hamas than those people as fellow countrymen.

i liked the guy making fun of russia for abandoning the armata because its too expensive and my immediate thought being "I pray to soon see a similar headline in America"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Xenophon said they were just really flippin' annoying. Like they were being harassed by slingers and javelineers and all the heavy hoplites couldn't catch them and given them a good stabbing. So they rounded up all the mercenaries from Rhodes and gave them slings and all the mercenaries from Crete and gave them bows, which is probably where some people got the idea that people from those islands got +1 bonuses to using those weapons.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russia abandons t14 armata due to cost

quote:

The head of the Russian defense conglomerate Rostec, Sergey Chemezov, confirmed that the state-of-the-art Russian tank, the T-14 “Armata,” is not being deployed in the war in Ukraine, which the Kremlin has labeled a “special military operation.”

Chemezov attributed this decision to the tank’s exorbitant cost, indicating that the military is opting for the more economical T-90 tanks instead. He underscored the prohibitive expense of the Armata as a deterrent to its immediate deployment, stressing the need for funds to develop newer and more cost-effective tank models.

“In terms of its functionality, it certainly surpasses existing tanks, but it’s too expensive, so the army is unlikely to use it now. It’s easier for them to buy the same T-90s,” Chemezov said.

Inconceivable

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

i liked the guy making fun of russia for abandoning the armata because its too expensive and my immediate thought being "I pray to soon see a similar headline in America"

Budzilla posted:

F-35 has actually seen action while the t14 hasn't? It is fun to dogpile on to the F-35 in a vacuum with it's cost, lovely availability rates, etc... at least it is getting used. For some reason after the sanctions in 2014 Russia stopped making the T14 :thunk:

Budzilla posted:

How much action F-22s, FA-18s, F-16s have seen in the past year? Not much compared to 7 or 8 years ago with the Syrian Civil War and ISIS.

Russia projected that it would have 2000+ T-14s in the mid 2020s back in the year 2014. Most military equipment is not built with off the shelf technology but is designed and purchased years in advance. Not much action from an aircraft is different from something that has been in the prototype stage for 10+ years.

Budzilla posted:

The T-14 exists? Yeah that's about the best thing you can say about it.

The most modern tank that Russia has in quantity is the T-90 and that is pretty much an upgrade of T-72. It can't even use the modern ammo that was developed for the T-14 because of dimensions. Look what happened during the Gulf War when Iraq used T-72s against Abrams tanks. The Abrams platform might only be 10 years younger than the T-72 but the US has poured obscene amounts of resources into keeping it competitive. Now you are saying the modernization of tanks is more cost efficient? Russia is "modernizing" T-62s. In all fairness putting a thermal sight on to a T-62 isn't that bad of an idea but it won't do poo poo making the tank more survivable against Leopard 2, Challenger 2, Javelins and NLAWs. Russia can't make competitive modern military equipment and you trying to pretend otherwise is loving bizarre.

Budzilla posted:

"artisanally-made western military materiel" wtf?

I came into this thread a week ago to see posters here getting harder than granite over Russian aircraft like the Su-57 and Su-75 and how great they are and I poo poo it up by pointing out that

https://twitter.com/AlexHollings52/status/1576003763675856896

Get this. The F-35 has an availability rate of ~55%(lol). Let's just say an even 50%. The QE aircraft carrier can carry 36 F-35Bs at any 1 time. This means that on average there are 3 less F-35s that are available to fly on a single carrier at this very moment than Su-57 Felons(only 21 made including prototypes) in existence. This is assuming that the Su-57 has a 100% availability rate. So a single QE carrier can go toe to toe with the entire Russian 5th Gen fleet. The F-35 is a mass produced product that is very complicated to produce.

The F-35 might suck rear end and a lot of it. But compared to other military projects in Russia there is something to show for it. Look at the T-14. Russia was expecting to field 2000+ T-14s mid this decade and they have been reduced to putting commercially available thermals on T-62s. Doesn't this tell you something?

I love the part where he praises the F-35 and shits on the choice to field hundreds of T-62s while building the other T-series in a land war.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

To be fair, the F-35 is a big dumb wasteful project but ending up with something not completely useless puts it at least above average given how criminally ridiculous procurement is now. we made two types of LCS that both had to be entirely scrapped and then engineered the insanely expensive barely reliable DDG-1000 around a laser weapons system than whoops we canceled it doesnt exist so now it has all these engineering compromises built around something it can’t actually do. So now our replacements for frigates AND destroyers are all broken, expensive, and stupid.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

A misleading blog post, they said they are still making the t-14 but it doesn’t make sense for near-term deployment and honestly it makes sense.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

To be fair, the F-35 is a big dumb wasteful project but ending up with something not completely useless puts it at least above average given how criminally ridiculous procurement is now. we made two types of LCS that both had to be entirely scrapped and then engineered the insanely expensive barely reliable DDG-1000 around a laser weapons system than whoops we canceled it doesnt exist so now it has all these engineering compromises built around something it can’t actually do. So now our replacements for frigates AND destroyers are all broken, expensive, and stupid.

The availability rates of the B and C models are so low I would put them in the same category as the other projects. The A is better but usually below 4th generation aircraft.

I would say the f-35A is a tricky one too because so many air forces are replacing their aircraft with them and total availability is probably going to take a dive. Also, stealth besides countries don’t want to fly them into enemy air defenses has simply the drawback of payload which a long with availability is going to make airland battle much more difficult because the amount of damage possible is proportionately be far less.

It is why it is potentially a crippling boondoggle for the entire West because so much emphasis has been put on air superiority but the f-35a just limits its potential usefulness by the amount of tonnage that can be dropped.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:35 on Mar 5, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

the insanely expensive barely reliable DDG-1000 around a laser weapons system than whoops we canceled it doesnt exist so now it has all these engineering compromises built around something it can’t actually do.

actually that was engineered around a 155mm guided shell that the navy didnt buy

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

lol someone cut the internet cables in the red sea and the ww3 thread is stuck on the roman empire again https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/04/business/red-sea-cables-cut-internet/index.html

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mandel Brotset posted:

lol someone cut the internet cables in the red sea and the ww3 thread is stuck on the roman empire again https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/04/business/red-sea-cables-cut-internet/index.html

Russia cut the cables

to show that they could cut other cables

if they wanted to

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

Russia cut the cables

to show that they could cut other cables

if they wanted to

thank u I have no further questions

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

If you want an idea of why they were scared, the Iroquois were the dominant military power in North America for over a century once they started getting large number of guns. There was no central authority interdicting traders and lots of unscrupulous whalers in the area around New Zealand, so the Maori got lots of guns and steel weapons and tools, and became incredibly powerful, while almost destroying their society (and the British colonies) in wars. The Japanese went from matchlock muskets to the Zero in less than a hundred years. The Indians went from making war by clattering schellenbaum and reciting poetry or whatever before battle to the best soldiers in the world.

Maori just got on a boat and went to Sydney to buy guns to kick off the musket wars. By the end traders were coming from Sydney, but we know a bunch about this from the Governor General of New South Wales' reports. I think they had pretty strong port controls for taxation purposes.
Some more recent scholarship questions the degree to which Maori society was wrecked by the introduction of guns and suggests that sort of warfare was common before hand.

This is a fairly long read on the gun trade to NZ

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/aehr.12259

HouseofSuren posted:

Apparently knights of the round most likely come from this guy, a dalmatian that was brought to the Island

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artoria_gens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Artorius_Castus

His name came from this region

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalmatia

If this is correct, he probably was like Skudra, who Persians considered a very western scythian people which included Macedonians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skudra

Phillips kingdom starts immediately as the province gets freedom and he's trained with Companion Cavalry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companion_cavalry

If you look up the origin of the term Immortals it's either Immortal or Companion based on a misunderstanding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortals_(Achaemenid_Empire)

Achaemenians don't record the name Immortal

However these do not record the name of "Immortals". It is suggested that Herodotus' informant has confused the word anûšiya- (lit. 'companion') with anauša- (lit. 'immortal'),[3] but this theory has been criticized by Rüdiger Schmitt.[2]

You know who else has companion cavalry? Cyrus the great.

I laugh when people think this was done on foot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythian_campaign_of_Darius_I

Darius conquers Macedon/Thrace/Dacia and marches into modern Ukraine/Crimea/Russia and defeats the scythians there

The Equites Dalmatae were from the Roman province of Dalmatia but not necessarily Dalmatae but they were probably at least Illyrian. Illyrian tribes are attested to in the area from the end of the 6th century BC which is before the supposed ethnogenis of the Sarmatians. I guess it is possible their numbers included men from the Iazyges who were a tribe of Sarmatians who settled north east of Roman Dalmatia.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Tankbuster posted:

Albanian. There's at least a theory that Albanians are Illyrians.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It blew up and it took them a few years to get it back up and running

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Danann posted:

I love the part where he praises the F-35 and shits on the choice to field hundreds of T-62s while building the other T-series in a land war.

The Su-57 vs F-35 comparison on production speed is fun if you extend it to the J-20. If you recall, not that long ago there was an article arguing that the J-20 being produced much much faster than the F-35 is not important, because if the US had been producing more aircraft since the 2000s, China would not be catching up now, which means that them doing so right now does not count. :psyduck:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Weka posted:

“Satia builds upon earlier work discussing the military revolution in Europe by Geoffrey Palmer, and the military-fiscal state first posited by John Brewer (Palmer, 1988). Brewer asserts that the British state in the eighteenth and nineteenth century greatly increased taxation and borrowing to facilitate its various wars, and that its expenditure at the time significantly dwarfed the private sector (Brewer, 1988). Satia argues that the connection between state, the military, and industry was the driving mechanism behind the industrial revolution in Britain (Satia, 2018). “

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

The Su-57 vs F-35 comparison on production speed is fun if you extend it to the J-20. If you recall, not that long ago there was an article arguing that the J-20 being produced much much faster than the F-35 is not important, because if the US had been producing more aircraft since the 2000s, China would not be catching up now, which means that them doing so right now does not count. :psyduck:

Is there a word for this? It’s almost determinism but not quite.

I see it all the time in military balance reports, “Russian shell production is (millions) but western industry could produce much more”. Okay? Well? Are they?