Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BONGHITZ posted:

I don't think id be able to break a window with only my fist tbh

It's definitely possible but it's probably a lot harder than people think (unless you're wearing like pointy ceramic knuckles or something). I'm plenty strong and can throw a decent punch but wasn't really intending to break anything - I just saw red for having to basically jump out of the way - but I did feel the window flex in the moment, which surprised me.

I need to stop watching cars as they pass when I'm waiting for a light to change. So many people are staring at their phones, it stresses me the gently caress out.

EDIT for content:
https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F2eft3wq9l6mc1.jpeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

tapping the sign

Sphyre posted:

shut the gently caress up weka

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

BONGHITZ posted:

I don't think id be able to break a window with only my fist tbh

I'd just launch my rocket fist. Skill issue imo.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This guy got mildly yelled at for saying a kid shouldn't play outside and is going full on thread villain over it

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Weka posted:

Oh so it's ok for you to violate the road rules?

No cyclist starts out rolling through stop signs and snaking in between stopped cars, they follow all of the rules and then, a car tries to kill them. Then you decide gently caress it, every man for himself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rochallor posted:

No cyclist starts out rolling through stop signs and snaking in between stopped cars, they follow all of the rules and then, a car tries to kill them. Then you decide gently caress it, every man for himself.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

periodic psa: spark plugs are small yet can very easily break car windows plus it's kinda ironic

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Maed posted:

periodic psa: spark plugs are small yet can very easily break car windows plus it's kinda ironic

So does the right section of a u-lock, other than the windshield. Allegedly, from what I'm told.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Mister Speaker posted:

Petition to threadban this loser.

threadbans are cringe

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

car bad

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I think I've gone about 2 months without driving my car. I should probably sell this thing.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

i haven't owned a car in 13 years, anyone beat me?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Maed posted:

Corollary: carrying ninja rocks is often considered intent for breaking and entering

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Weka post yourself breaking a car window with your fist

yeah lol mod challenge plz

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SimonSays posted:

So does the right section of a u-lock, other than the windshield. Allegedly, from what I'm told.

Yeah I've heard this explained as something to do with the relative density and hardness of the material. like trying to tap the ash out of a glass pipe in a ceramic sink and having the pipe just snap in half on you. I used to know some motorcyclists who would keep 'ninja rocks' in their jacket pockets to toss at drivers who'd endanger them. I have honestly never done anything to intentionally gently caress up someone's vehicle (though I talk a lot about anchovy oil in the AC ducts and poo poo), but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't on my mind often.

EDIT: lmao yes I'm so down for that mod challenge. Put your money where your mouth is, tough guy.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think I've gone about 2 months without driving my car. I should probably sell this thing.

do it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Maed posted:

Owning cars or property is cringe, I will never.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I would never intentionally break a car window outside of a situation where safety called for it, it is needlessly destructive. That car window could be used in a car, rather than creating landfill or litter that could for instance cut a dogs feet.

Mister Speaker posted:

I wasn't violating any rule anyway, it's a sidewalk. I have no idea why the light is there, but I'll try to get a picture next time I remember to show y'all how absurd it is.

Petition to threadban this loser.

You are wrong and your confrontational attitude towards those you share the road with makes you a danger to yourself and others.

Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8 posted:

"roadway” means the part of the highway that is improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular traffic, but does not include the shoulder, and, where a highway includes two or more separate roadways, the term “roadway” refers to any one roadway separately and not to all of the roadways collectively; (“chaussée”)
Pedestrian control signals — don’t walk

(27) No pedestrian approaching pedestrian control signals and facing a solid or flashing “don’t walk” indication shall enter the roadway.  R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (27).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cars are like guns, fine to own and enjoy in private, but you wouldn't want people using them on the streets

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 06:41 on Mar 5, 2024

Apr 7, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I have honestly never done anything to intentionally gently caress up someone's vehicle (though I talk a lot about anchovy oil in the AC ducts and poo poo), but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't on my mind often.

A while back some shithead in a Range Rover pushed his way through a pedestrian-filled crosswalk and I kicked the quarter panel and hosed it up pretty good. He pulled over 100 feet away, got out, and for whatever reason got back into his car and drove away.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Road laws are for cars hth

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Glad we have the federal highway administration official in thread to prove us wrong. Don't you have other things to do like raze a railroad or streetcar line for a lane and say it had to be done

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Weka posted:

I would never intentionally break a car window outside of a situation where safety called for it, it is needlessly destructive. That car window could be used in a car, rather than creating landfill or litter that could for instance cut a dogs feet.

You are wrong and your confrontational attitude towards those you share the road with makes you a danger to yourself and others.

If you're in danger and there is a person in the room with you right now holding a car to your head you can let us know by saying the stupidest poo poo you can think of next post, and we will send help.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Celexi posted:

Glad we have the federal highway administration official in thread to prove us wrong. Don't you have other things to do like raze a railroad or streetcar line for a lane and say it had to be done

This is slander against the people of the U.S. of A.

Weka is a New Zealander.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maed posted:

I have never owned a car or had a driver's licence. I got a learner's permit when I was 16 (22 years ago) and took a couple of lessons but that was the only time I've ever driven a car.

Apr 7, 2003

Weka posted:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Weka posted:

I would never intentionally break a car window

Pussy

Pax Hamburgana
Mar 11, 2021

Tiggum posted:

I have never owned a car or had a driver's licence. I got a learner's permit when I was 16 (22 years ago) and took a couple of lessons but that was the only time I've ever driven a car.

I'm 30 and only last year did I finally end up behind the wheel of a car (at my roommate's insistence [loving around in an empty parking lot for an hour]).

My takeaways:
1 - how does anyone do this poo poo? I couldn't keep the gas and brake pedals straight, god forbid I had to pay attention to road signs.
2 - I'm insanely lucky that I live in San Diego and have bus + trolley + a workplace that doesn't mind me being an hour late at least every day.
3 - relying solely on public transit means sometimes you witness random strangers having the worst days of their lives and you just have to make peace with being party to that and yes it will radicalize you and make you resent those who insulate themselves in their vehicles on the daily.

Apr 7, 2003

Pax Hamburgana posted:

3 - relying solely on public transit means sometimes you witness random strangers having the worst days of their lives and you just have to make peace with being party to that and yes it will radicalize you and make you resent those who insulate themselves in their vehicles on the daily.

And therein lies the problem, giving people an isolation chamber to conduct their daily lives has led to some incredible levels of indifference.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pax Hamburgana posted:

I'm 30 and only last year did I finally end up behind the wheel of a car (at my roommate's insistence [loving around in an empty parking lot for an hour]).

My takeaways:
1 - how does anyone do this poo poo? I couldn't keep the gas and brake pedals straight, god forbid I had to pay attention to road signs.
2 - I'm insanely lucky that I live in San Diego and have bus + trolley + a workplace that doesn't mind me being an hour late at least every day.

This is incredible. did you grow up in new york city or a foreign country?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cyclist with ‘bizarre’ bike extension pictured on main road in Perthshire

Mad?

Unrelated,

https://i.imgur.com/uRw26L8.mp4

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A while back some shithead in a Range Rover pushed his way through a pedestrian-filled crosswalk and I kicked the quarter panel and hosed it up pretty good. He pulled over 100 feet away, got out, and for whatever reason got back into his car and drove away.

Maybe he got out to see what the damage was?

Apr 7, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Maybe he got out to see what the damage was?

I assumed he was going to come do reciprocal damage but I guess not

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
He saw them thigh muscles and knew it wasn't worth it.

Pax Hamburgana
Mar 11, 2021

And therein lies the problem, giving people an isolation chamber to conduct their daily lives has led to some incredible levels of indifference.

I cannot stress enough how much this drives me insane and has truly underlined the gulf between me and people I otherwise might admire and respect.

When I open up and describe how much it pains me to see people in active mental health crises, overdoses and violence I still have flashbacks about, the sheer amount of homeless people I see daily congregating at transit centers who have become familiar to me - I'm met with "I'm glad I don't have to deal with any of that!" rather than any thought or reflection at all as to why these are such commonplace scenes in the first place.

Reading this thread has also been cathartic just to know other people have almost been hit, had things thrown at them from cars, cannot entirely trust crosswalks etc.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

This is incredible. did you grow up in new york city or a foreign country?

San Diego born and raised. I just thoroughly despise cars and have been lucky enough to get away with walking and accessible transit my whole life.

...Though I did visit New York once and extremely appreciated the subway system to get further than walking could take me. I wish San Diego had the grid system for streets; it made navigating very very easy.

Pax Hamburgana has issued a correction as of 06:57 on Mar 5, 2024

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Good for you! Very proud

Pax Hamburgana
Mar 11, 2021
I realize the irony of considering myself lucky that I have been able to rely solely on public transit while also admitting that it has emotionally hosed me up to see and experience the things I have, but I hope it makes sense that at least, I think, it has cultivated a better sense of empathy in me too. :smith:

It's a very foreign concept to me to imagine a commute made up of sitting in traffic, getting pissed at other drivers, freeways and so on... It feels very isolationist.

We're not exactly buddy-buddy on the bus or trolley, but you do get to recognizing people you share a route with even if you never speak. Sometimes you have some very funny or lovely interactions along with the more depressing ones. Mostly it's neutral and you just want to get home, but a smarter person might be able to make a point about how at least it makes you more aware of your fellow man's day-to-day.

Only reason I'm posting tonight is because I'm buzzed enough and thoughtful. Long time fan of this thread and it's got me considering taking up biking but that still requires being on the road and I simply do not trust like that. Godspeed those who would share the road with the perfidious motor vehicle

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Those pre-1980s general purpose bikes were 30+ lbs. Wonder what riding speed looked like back when that guy was riding his Sears.

Here's some footage from 30s' Copenhagen when (heavy) bicycles absolutely dominated the streets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwWNwTU2rps&t=364s (starting at 6:04). It's slow going. On the one hand, I'd probably find the low speed frustrating; on the other hand, I'd enjoy blocking the way for the cars.

PS. Do NOT listen to the bit at 0:50. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Steen71 posted:

PS. Do NOT listen to the bit at 0:50. :stare:

... the Vikings did what now?