Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Chakan posted:

I feel like cEDH players previously used point systems to incentivize different styles of play, but stopped some years ago. Is that the case, or was I just mixing it up with people telling stories about their LGS? At face value, that feels like a strong solution to some issues like aggro being bad, but there must be some reason tourneys don’t use them. I know there was a strong discussion about 30 starting life 10-15 years ago.

you're probably thinking of canadian highlander, which did and still does have a points system that changes as the meta shifts and new cards come out that might influence it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Ah, there’s that too. But I thought people were experimenting with getting points for different stuff. 1 point per opponent knocked out, 3 points for a win, -1 point if you knocked all 3 opponents out on the same turn, probably not how it worked, but some system to encourage things other than combo wins? I enjoy seeing cEDH play out, but I thought people were doing stuff like that at some point.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Chakan posted:

Ah, there’s that too. But I thought people were experimenting with getting points for different stuff. 1 point per opponent knocked out, 3 points for a win, -1 point if you knocked all 3 opponents out on the same turn, probably not how it worked, but some system to encourage things other than combo wins? I enjoy seeing cEDH play out, but I thought people were doing stuff like that at some point.

Yeah, that type of scoring system hasn't been a part of cEDH, no. It gets used at some stores (like the one I play at) and in some Youtube channels like Commander VS for Star City Games.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Toshimo posted:

EDH right now, if you have thw budget or are proxying ia basically "throw a $3,000 manabase, a bunch of free spells, and assorted other $50 cards in and then leave a dozen spots for my commander and most efficient combo package. GG". It's so loving stale. It also doesn't help that WotC keeps printing garbage precons so the gap keeps getting larger. Frankly, I don't see how anyone other than Post Malone is comfortable playing for realsies no-proxy paper EDH anymore.

This sounds like a you problem, you're trying to get something out of the format that it's not for; I have plenty of fun playing $80 decks. Case in point:

Toshimo posted:

The whole point is that the format is currently so broken we can't have a good meta and that the RC needs to make significant changes to fix it.

The RC isn't curating the format with the end goal being what you're trying to do with it. Either do your own local variant or play a different one, this isn't a bad thing

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Deflecting Swat back up to $38 and Fierce Guardianship to $41. I should really have picked those up months ago when they were cheaper.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This sounds like a you problem, you're trying to get something out of the format that it's not for; I have plenty of fun playing $80 decks. Case in point:

The RC isn't curating the format with the end goal being what you're trying to do with it. Either do your own local variant or play a different one, this isn't a bad thing

We've done these discussions to death but:
1- What is the RC for if not to curate the format?
2- As mentioned not even a page ago, people have different ways to play EDH and the fact that you get by with a low-power low-budget playgroup means precisely nothing to the thousands of players that try to play with strangers at cons, game stores, and online. These players all need a solid format baseline to draw from to be able to play. Your personal playgroup is, in fact, the abberation because you've already made your own not-EDH format by restricting budgets.
3- Telling people "go play something else" instead of acknowledging and trying to fix the issues in the format is and always has been a lovely form of gatekeeping.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

2- As mentioned not even a page ago, people have different ways to play EDH and the fact that you get by with a low-power low-budget playgroup means precisely nothing to the thousands of players that try to play with strangers at cons, game stores, and online. These players all need a solid format baseline to draw from to be able to play. Your personal playgroup is, in fact, the abberation because you've already made your own not-EDH format by restricting budgets.
3- Telling people "go play something else" instead of acknowledging and trying to fix the issues in the format is and always has been a lovely form of gatekeeping.

I hate to break it to you, but you are not the most important person in Magic. Not curating the format for you is not the same as not curating the format. Having a form of the game that doesn't do what you want to do with it does not mean the format is broken. Not agreeing with what you want isn't gatekeeping (although apparently in your mind, announcing that the format requires you to have a decklist that runs into the multiple thousands of dollars isn't gatekeeping, somehow! Truly, Toshimo-world is a land of contrasts.)

And stop the holier-than-thou bullshit about you trying to speak up for the little guy, because I was playing with strangers at an LGS and they weren't playing $80 decks, but were playing all the usual expensive format staples. Now, $80 is definitely on the cheap side of my decks (the average is more like $2-300) but I have played against people at cons, game stores and online and never bemoaned my lack of a $3000 manabase.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
 Your personal playgroup is, in fact, the abberation because you've already made your own not-EDH format by restricting budgets.

This seems like the normal way to play commander. With people you know under conditions y'all enjoy, and it should be balanced around that spirit.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Toshimo posted:

Honestly, have you ever had a rule zero conversation in your life? Every single one of your issues could be solved if you just have an honest conversation with the people in your pod.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A lot of problems with EDH seem to stem from poor social skills.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

A lot of problems with EDH seem to stem from poor social skills.

* looks left *
* looks right *

Y'all remember where we're posting, right?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I hate to break it to you, but you are not the most important person in Magic. Not curating the format for you is not the same as not curating the format. Having a form of the game that doesn't do what you want to do with it does not mean the format is broken. Not agreeing with what you want isn't gatekeeping (although apparently in your mind, announcing that the format requires you to have a decklist that runs into the multiple thousands of dollars isn't gatekeeping, somehow! Truly, Toshimo-world is a land of contrasts.)

And stop the holier-than-thou bullshit about you trying to speak up for the little guy, because I was playing with strangers at an LGS and they weren't playing $80 decks, but were playing all the usual expensive format staples. Now, $80 is definitely on the cheap side of my decks (the average is more like $2-300) but I have played against people at cons, game stores and online and never bemoaned my lack of a $3000 manabase.

Never forget that Toshimo is the guy who gave a resounding cheer when the guy who ran the format for over two decades died of cancer. You can safely and confidently ignore everything he says that isn't directly about deckbuilding and gameplay as the ravings of gigantic dickhead.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

Your experience with the format is not everyone’s experience with the format. The RC is not here to curate the format for YOU, they’re trying to curate the format for EVERYONE.

If you seem to be having a persistent issue maybe you should try to solve it!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ignoring the Underground Sea, I'm curious how y'all would rate this deck: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/cQIKCJC7KUKvY5JAaByaHA

I'm not necessarily looking for an X/10 in terms of power level, so I guess I'm more interested in thoughts about what sort of tables you'd feel comfortable playing it as (so as to not get stomped or ruin some newbies' day).

Knowledge Exploitation might be next on the chopping block, and since Notorious Throng seems like the way I win the most, I was thinking about replacing the Knowledge Exploitation with Mystical Tutor. Four tutors (five if you include Varragoth) seems like a lot for most casual tables, though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Infidel Castro posted:

Honestly, have you ever had a rule zero conversation in your life? Every single one of your issues could be solved if you just have an honest conversation with the people in your pod.

Sure I have, but a lot of my games are while travelling, at new stores, or at cons. And a lot of stories I hear from other players echo the same issue: there's a huge mismatch between the different levels of play and many playgroups turn into an arms race or fall apart once a single person starts refining their deck. "Have a rule zero conversation" falls apart when people aren't carrying around a sack full of various power level decks. If you are going somewhere new (maybe you're a new player, or travelling, or at a con, or on a budget), and you've only got 1 or 2 decks, then being told "well, you aren't playing our brand of EDH, guess you're on your own" or worse, getting mismatched against a pod (either way, up or down) isn't good for anyone involved.

I have friends that want nothing more than to be able to turn dudes sideways, but it's so unviable that the minute they run into anything that can close out a pod, they just get dumpstered and there's very little I can suggest to them with the format as-is. Life totals are too high, there's too many irreplaceable cards that price people out, and the banlist is direly in need of a rework. "Rule Zero" isn't a replacement for the stewards of the format stepping up and doing thrir job.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Balon posted:

Your experience with the format is not everyone’s experience with the format. The RC is not here to curate the format for YOU, they’re trying to curate the format for EVERYONE.

If you seem to be having a persistent issue maybe you should try to solve it!

Buddy, they've spent the last decade ardently not curating it for anyone. They wrote mad letters to WotC about Elesh Norn. Of all people, you know better than this.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Last week I was playing at my usual store with some new-to-me folks who usually play on a different night. After we'd finished one game, there was a college student who had built her first deck, and was apologizing because she'd built Golos without realizing that he was banned.

All three of us said "Don't worry about it, he's fine" and played as normal. We all had fun.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Batterypowered7 posted:

Ignoring the Underground Sea, I'm curious how y'all would rate this deck: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/cQIKCJC7KUKvY5JAaByaHA

I'm not necessarily looking for an X/10 in terms of power level, so I guess I'm more interested in thoughts about what sort of tables you'd feel comfortable playing it as (so as to not get stomped or ruin some newbies' day).

Knowledge Exploitation might be next on the chopping block, and since Notorious Throng seems like the way I win the most, I was thinking about replacing the Knowledge Exploitation with Mystical Tutor. Four tutors (five if you include Varragoth) seems like a lot for most casual tables, though.

Why ravenform over resculpt?

Also yeah, that many tutors seems a little uncasual. But my current mindset is to avoid most kinds of tutors and replace them with card draw effects so to each their own.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why ravenform over resculpt?

Also yeah, that many tutors seems a little uncasual. But my current mindset is to avoid most kinds of tutors and replace them with card draw effects so to each their own.

I think it's because people hate mill and I didn't want to get beat in the face with a 4/4, lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think it's because people hate mill and I didn't want to get beat in the face with a 4/4, lol

that's fair. generally the 4/4 doesn't do much and people are less salty about getting their thing exiled when you give them the completely useless consolation prize. Meanwhile, I also love Baleful Mastery because I can use the card draw politically and gently caress planeswalkers.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

that's fair. generally the 4/4 doesn't do much and people are less salty about getting their thing exiled when you give them the completely useless consolation prize. Meanwhile, I also love Baleful Mastery because I can use the card draw politically and gently caress planeswalkers.

Wow I never noticed the "mastery" cards just say "an opponent" instead of all opponents or that opponent. Gonna throw these into the relevant decks right away.

Well, maybe not the red one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder how far that can be pushed. Not a group hug deck, but one where the destructive things you do create something nice for an irrelevant player to that interaction.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Batterypowered7 posted:

Bloodchief Ascension in my Rogues deck just gets me instantly deleted from the table, right?

I run it in a Krydle deck along with Mindcrank. Multiple times I've heard it called "too good for bad tables, too weak for good ones" and I get that. It's one enchantment removal to deal with it forever, without Sheoldred or something else pinging folks it can take some time to get online. Krydle can get 2 damage per combat, inefficiently. I've had the infinite combo on the board and had it cyc rifted away before it killed anyone.

I'm clear about what it does, point out the combo pieces when they're around, and haven't had too much trouble with it. It doesn't really ratchet up to archenemy threat on it's own.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

Buddy, they've spent the last decade ardently not curating it for anyone. They wrote mad letters to WotC about Elesh Norn. Of all people, you know better than this.

Idk format is pretty fun to me. Seems like hundreds of thousands of other people find it fun too. With or without RC intervention.

Maybe the problem is your experience and unwillingness to affect change in your own games or playgroup.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Balon posted:

Idk format is pretty fun to me. Seems like hundreds of thousands of other people find it fun too. With or without RC intervention.

Maybe the problem is your experience and unwillingness to affect change in your own games or playgroup.

Lol, a real life Skinner "Am I so out of touch? No, it is the children who are wrong."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If heavy handed control was truly that desirable, the numerous spinoffs that have it would probably be popular instead of punchlines.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've just had the dumbest revelation about my Thirteenth Doctor deck:

Its end goal is to eventually construct a Paradox engine capable of being a Commander-legal Paradox Engine.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 5, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cleretic posted:

I've just had the dumbest revelation about my Thirteenth Doctor deck:

Its end goal is to eventually construct a Paradox engine capable of being a Commander-legal Paradox Engine.

Congrats! Now you know how to rebuild the deck.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

anyone have any experience playing spelltable around here?

i play with some coworkers on-site once every month or so. LGS is justtttt far enough to be a hassle to get to. i’d like to play more but struggling to find any mutuals who are interested :rip:

just wondering if there’s a decent place to find some games outside of joining randomly on spelltable itself

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AlternateNu posted:

Congrats! Now you know how to rebuild the deck.

Honestly I've been on the right train for a bit, it just requires some weird barbs to actually get good enough to be useful. Sitting on an 8/8 that exile-casts the first thing it can and makes an entire board of creatures with effective vigilance beefier when it does sounds great, but you've gotta find some way to actually do real damage with them, or else you're worthless against a even modestly capable token creation engine.

But that does mean there's cause to include stuff like Old One-Eye, and that's hilarious.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aphrodite posted:

If heavy handed control was truly that desirable, the numerous spinoffs that have it would probably be popular instead of punchlines.

I wish tiny leaders was more popular because it seems like a lot of fun

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

anyone have any experience playing spelltable around here?

i play with some coworkers on-site once every month or so. LGS is justtttt far enough to be a hassle to get to. i’d like to play more but struggling to find any mutuals who are interested :rip:

just wondering if there’s a decent place to find some games outside of joining randomly on spelltable itself

I am in none so I can't vouch for any specifically, but from what I have heard all of the assorted popular MTG content creators have LFG stuff on their discords.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I'm looking into teaching some friends MTG/commander next month. Functionally none of them have really played magic before and I was wondering if people had any recommendations for commander precons that are new player friendly and hopefully not too different in power level from each other.

imweasel09 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 5, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Start with a 1v1 for basic rules then go into 4 player. Any of the precons from Ixalan are a great start for a new player

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

imweasel09 posted:

I'm looking into teaching some friends of MTG/commander next month. Functionally none of them have really played magic before and I was wondering if people had any recommendations for commander precons that are new player friendly and hopefully not too different in power level from each other.

LCI's probably the best bet for a set to play together

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Don't use the Karlov ones because the dimir deck will kick the poo poo out of everything else

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Alright, sounds like I'm picking up the ixalan decks thanks for the advice.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Spanish Manlove posted:

Don't use the Karlov ones because the dimir deck will kick the poo poo out of everything else

Also the Naya one would be a nightmare just trying to explain why disguise, cloak, morph, and manifest are different things.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I’m trying something new on the channel. Interested in what y’all think:

https://youtu.be/tHDztnxT5ZI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

imweasel09 posted:

Alright, sounds like I'm picking up the ixalan decks thanks for the advice.

confirming that the ixalan precons are excellent choices - all offer good value, are relatively even power-level wise (despite some differences), play well out of the box, have coherent themes and not too many mechanics (on a commander scale), and are all pretty amenable to inexpensive (or expensive) upgrades if they really fall in love with a given tribe

e: the other recent decks that I think work best as a set out of the box are probably still the Universes Beyond 40k decks, but I think they're mechanically more complicated than the LCI decks and the whole 40k tie-in thing might not be the best introduction to Magic as Magic - they'd still be my second pick for this purpose if there are sourcing issues with LCI or you want a second "battle box" experience

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 7, 2024