Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
an observation:

https://twitter.com/fbermingham/status/1764557665718473060

not that China's participation in said peace talks was all that enthusiastic, that said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
they seriously sent someone named "Li Hui" to conduct peace talks between russia and china?

someone convince they didn't do this on purpose

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

they seriously sent someone named "Li Hui" to conduct peace talks between russia and china?

only if you explain the joke. of course i understand it perfectly, but my friend just off-camera doesn't get it at all

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Kith posted:

only if you explain the joke. of course i understand it perfectly, but my friend just off-camera doesn't get it at all

Хуй means Cock/dick/penis in Russian

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I always hear "every war has always ended in a negotiated settlement". Is this true of WW2 also? I was always under the impression that it was the Allies presenting their terms for unconditional surrender to Germany and Japan and telling them that if they didn't accept, the war would continue until there was no one left to agree to an unconditional surrender.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

Decent test to find out adults in the room at least

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Mr. Apollo posted:

I always hear "every war has always ended in a negotiated settlement". Is this true of WW2 also? I was always under the impression that it was the Allies presenting their terms for unconditional surrender to Germany and Japan and telling them that if they didn't accept, the war would continue until there was no one left to agree to an unconditional surrender.

If you try to look for actual cases of a negotiated settlement where one side does significant concessions in exchange for a lasting peace (what is suggested Ukraine should do) it's hard to find any. The Vietnam War had negotations and an officially signed Paris Accord but the war ended with the North achieving total military victory over the South. No negotiations were done in the Falklands War except on the surrender of Argentinian forces in Port Stanley. All of the wars Russia was involved in after the end of the Soviet Union have ended either with Russia taking what it wanted by force (Chechnya) or taking part of it and freezing the conflict to be resumed later regardless of any agreements made.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Maybe a year ago there was a story about Russians rigging a BMP to be remote controlled, loading it with explosives and driving to Ukrainian lines. I don't think it was very effective though, especially considering the shortage of afvs.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Another Russian ship has been reportedly sunk, good footage of this one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/1b6y8uc/russian_project_22160_patrol_ship_sergey_kotov/

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Nitrox posted:

If the Koch brothers can remake American politics then Mr Dick can go to Moscow.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Eat poo poo, you stupid boat.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Mr. Apollo posted:

It is not. Germany's surrender was completely unconditional. Japan's was unconditional, but with the understanding that the emperor would be allowed to retain his throne.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Crossposting:

The ICC posted:

Situation in Ukraine: ICC judges issue arrest warrants against Sergei Ivanovich Kobylash and Viktor Nikolayevich Sokolov

Today, 5 March 2024, Pre-Trial Chamber II of the International Criminal Court, composed of Judge Rosario Salvatore Aitala, Presiding, Judge Tomoko Akane and Judge Sergio Gerardo Ugalde Godinez (“ICC” or “Court”) issued warrants of arrest for two individuals, Mr Sergei Ivanovich Kobylash and Mr Viktor Kinolayevich Sokolov, in the context of the situation in Ukraine for alleged crimes committed from at least 10 October 2022 until at least 9 March 2023.

Mr Sergei Ivanovich Kobylash, born on 1 April 1965, a Lieutenant General in the Russian Armed Forces, who at the relevant time was the Commander of the Long-Range Aviation of the Aerospace Force, and Mr Viktor Kinolayevich Sokolov, born 4 April 1962, an Admiral in the Russian Navy, who at the relevant time was the Commander of the Black Sea Fleet, are each allegedly responsible for the war crime of directing attacks at civilian objects (article 8(2)(b)(ii) of the Rome Statute) and the war crime of causing excessive incidental harm to civilians or damage to civilian objects (article 8(2)(b)(iv) of the Rome Statute), and the crime against humanity of inhumane acts under article 7(1)(k) of the Rome Statute. There are reasonable grounds to believe they bear individual criminal responsibility for the aforementioned crimes for (i) having committed the acts jointly and/or through others (article 25(3)(a) of the Rome Statute), (ii) ordering the commission of the crimes, and/or (iii) for their failure to exercise proper control over the forces under their command (article 28(a) of the Rome Statute).

The two warrants of arrest were issued following applications filed by the Prosecution. Pre-Trial Chamber II considered that there are reasonable grounds to believe that the two suspects bear responsibility for missile strikes carried out by the forces under their command against the Ukrainian electric infrastructure from at least 10 October 2022 until at least 9 March 2023. During this time-frame, there was an alleged campaign of strikes against numerous electric power plants and sub-stations, which were carried out by the Russian armed forces in multiple locations in Ukraine.

Pre-Trial Chamber II found that there are reasonable grounds to believe that the alleged strikes were directed against civilian objects, and for those installations that may have qualified as military objectives at the relevant time, the expected incidental civilian harm and damage would have been clearly excessive to the anticipated military advantage.

Pre-Trial Chamber II also considered that the alleged campaign of strikes qualifies as a course of conduct involving the multiple commission of acts against a civilian population, pursuant to a State policy, in the meaning of Article 7 of the Statute. As such, there are reasonable grounds to believe that the suspects also bear responsibility for the crime against humanity of ‘other inhumane acts […] intentionally causing great suffering, or serious injury to body or to mental or physical health’, as per article 7(1)(k) of the Rome Statute.

The content of the warrants is issued ‘secret’ in order to protect witnesses and to safeguard the investigations. However, mindful that conduct similar to that addressed in the present situation, which amounts to violations of international humanitarian law, is alleged to be ongoing, the Chamber considers that public awareness of the warrants may contribute to the prevention of the further commission of crimes. Therefore, Pre-Trial Chamber II considers it to be in the interest of justice to authorise the Registry to publicly disclose the existence of the warrants, the name of the suspects, the crimes for which the warrants are issued, and the modes of liability.

https://www.icc-cpi.int/news/situation-ukraine-icc-judges-issue-arrest-warrants-against-sergei-ivanovich-kobylash-and

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

EasilyConfused posted:

It is not. Germany's surrender was completely unconditional. Japan's was unconditional, but with the understanding that the emperor would be allowed to retain his throne.

:wrong: Some participants did make a truce with no surrender, so there was indeed negotiations in ending WW2.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Nenonen posted:

:wrong: Some participants did make a truce with no surrender, so there was indeed negotiations in ending WW2.

and another thing: i did not surrender. please dont put in the newspaper that i surrendered.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There was that one japanese soldier who hid in the jungle and didn't surrender until the 70s. Always loved that story.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Nenonen posted:

Maybe a year ago there was a story about Russians rigging a BMP to be remote controlled, loading it with explosives and driving to Ukrainian lines. I don't think it was very effective though, especially considering the shortage of afvs.

I've seen a couple videos of this happening and them getting blown up prior to making it to troops. They were massive explosions. I think they loaded them with anti tank mines.

Content: drone production in UA is ramping up:
https://kyivindependent.com/deputy-minister-ukraine-can-produce-150-000-drones-per-month/

quote:

Ukraine has the capacity to produce 150,000 drones every month, and may be able to produce two million drones by the end of the year, Strategic Industries Deputy Minister Hanna Hvozdiar said on air on March 5.
that's a lot of drones holy poo poo.

Also another russian ship got taken out by naval drones, unsure of details but seen the vids.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 5, 2024

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nenonen posted:

It wasnt a BMP it was a whole rear end tank

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
squarely taking a lesson from their encounters with isis in the mid-2010s. unfortunately for the russians, ukraine has even more widespread anti-armor than syria so vbieds didn't have quite the impact

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Nitrox posted:

I took it as "Li Hui" is pronounced pretty similarly "Lee Way" as in the word leeway...the thing you want in negotiations. (Hui is more like "h-way" than it is "hoo-ie" which I think is the pronunciation of the Russian word you have there)

But I guess there are multiple funny things if you pronounce it slightly differently.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

D-Pad posted:

There was that one japanese soldier who hid in the jungle and didn't surrender until the 70s. Always loved that story.

he kept on killing the locals even after the war

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

ChubbyChecker posted:

he kept on killing the locals even after the war

Say what you will about the man, he was dedicated to a cause.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

D-Pad posted:

The best part of the story was that immediately after returning to Japan, after 30 years of hiding in the jungle out of patriotic duty, he went "wtf, this place sucks, I'm outta here" and ditched Japan to move to Brazil

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 5, 2024

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nitrox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrcbCW4y9Dw

…but if one of the Russians laughs the negotiations are over.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Thats why they are going to send Leonid Slutsky to the States

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

fatherboxx posted:

Thats why they are going to send Leonid Slutsky to the States

Stalin in the streets, Slutsky in the sheets.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

lilljonas posted:

Stalin in the streets, Slutsky in the sheets.

Vlad Slutin

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Hungary's president ratified Sweden for NATO, so it's just left for the US to rubber stamp everything now that all NATO governments have ratified right?

Welcome to the club Sweden:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/hungary-president-signs-swedens-nato-membership-ratification-2024-03-05/

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

Hungary's president ratified Sweden for NATO, so it's just left for the US to rubber stamp everything now that all NATO governments have ratified right?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/hungary-president-signs-swedens-nato-membership-ratification-2024-03-05/

Yeah, there's only a few technicalities left now.
The remaining steps:

- Hungary deposits its ratification paper at the US State Dept
- NATO formally invites Sweden
- Sweden hands its accession paper at the US State Dept – and becomes a NATO member immediately.

For Finland, those 3 steps happened inside like half an hour because they did some trickery that allowed everything be done in Brussels where everybody involved was in the same building at the same time. For Sweden it might take a day or two.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Last chance Denmark! It's now or never!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Zat posted:

Yeah, there's only a few technicalities left now.
The remaining steps:

- Hungary deposits its ratification paper at the US State Dept
- NATO formally invites Sweden
- Sweden hands its accession paper at the US State Dept – and becomes a NATO member immediately.

For Finland, those 3 steps happened inside like half an hour because they did some trickery that allowed everything be done in Brussels where everybody involved was in the same building at the same time. For Sweden it might take a day or two.

Can't you fax it

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Lord Stimperor posted:

Can't you fax it
35 separate emails each with a JPG photo of one page of the document, out of order

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Still beats WebEx

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mr. Apollo posted:

35 separate emails each with a JPG photo of one page of the document, out of order

...and in different orientations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I played that escape room :v:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

steinrokkan posted:

The best part of the story was that immediately after returning to Japan, after 30 years of hiding in the jungle out of patriotic duty, he went "wtf, this place sucks, I'm outta here" and ditched Japan to move to Brazil

It's because he though postwar Japan had diverged too much from traditional, conservative values. It's not like he turned into a hippie.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sax Mortar posted:

I took it as "Li Hui" is pronounced pretty similarly "Lee Way" as in the word leeway...the thing you want in negotiations. (Hui is more like "h-way" than it is "hoo-ie" which I think is the pronunciation of the Russian word you have there)

But I guess there are multiple funny things if you pronounce it slightly differently.

Li Hui or the Huiway.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Orthanc6 posted:

It's a shame. I wish it had not happened. As if it wasn't enough they sold out the Kurds, they were also glad to lift their arms embargo against Turkey. I do not think this was a good path for Sweden to pursue. Good luck to them.

Sweden’s arms exports to Turkey in 2023 totaled $386,000

www.turkishminute.com - Mon, 04 Mar 2024 posted:

Data from the Swedish Inspectorate for Strategic Products (ISP) have shown that the country’s arms exports to Turkey totaled 4 million Kronor ($386,000) in 2023, Agence France-Presse reported.

In 2019 Stockholm introduced restrictions on arms sales to Ankara in response to Turkey’s military operations against Kurdish groups in Syria.

The embargo was lifted in late 2022 following negotiations between the two countries during Sweden’s NATO accession process, which was eventually approved last month by Turkey after months of negations.

The amount of arms exports to Turkey from Sweden has led to unease among some advocacy groups in the country.

“The resumption of arms exports to Turkey clearly shows that Sweden places greater importance to NATO membership than to respecting human rights, democracy and international law,” said the peace and disarmament NGO Svenska Freds in a statement.

“The arms industry wants to present itself as a contributor to freedom and democracy, but Swedish arms companies also export (their products) to undemocratic regimes, countries that violate human rights and international law,” the NGO added.

People in these countries “pay a high price” for flourishing arms industry, it said.

Sweden and Finland pursued a policy of military non-alignment during the Cold War era between the Soviet Union and the West.

But Russian war on Ukraine, launched in February 2022, upturned geopolitical calculations and forced the two to seek the nuclear protection afforded by the world’s most powerful defense bloc, NATO.

According to the ISP, Sweden’s arms exports rose 18 percent in 2023 to reach 1.6 billion euros as Russia’s war on Ukraine drove a search for weaponry.

Most of the exports went to European Union countries and 39 countries that Sweden cooperates with, ISP said in its statement.

Sweden has a growing defense industry, with Saab making the Gripen fighter jet, the Global Eye surveillance aircraft and anti-tank weapons.

“The degradation of the security situation and the continuing rearmament in the world means that the Swedish defense industry can expect many orders for a long time,” said ISP Director General Carl Johan Wieslander in a statement.

He said Sweden’s military equipment is attracting great interest, particularly in Ukraine.

The top 10 destinations for Swedish arms exports are the United States, Brazil, Pakistan, the United Kingdom, Germany, India, Norway, France and the Czech Republic.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
From a realist and practical standpoint, Swedens short or long term interests are not in Turkey, but in their own backyard. How many major wars have they fought against Russia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

It's a shame. I wish it had not happened. As if it wasn't enough they sold out the Kurds, they were also glad to lift their arms embargo against Turkey. I do not think this was a good path for Sweden to pursue. Good luck to them.
Nothing is stopping Sweden from reimplementing an arms embargo against Turkey or staying a safe haven for Kurds. If Turkey escalates, they might even have political cover to do so.