Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Maed posted:

i haven't owned a car in 13 years, anyone beat me?

never owned a car

Megamissen has issued a correction as of 12:03 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The bicycle, apart from apparently being associated with white supremacy, was once seen as cars are now, a dangerous contraption that traveled at an unsafe speed. In fact the earliest user of a two wheeled mechanically powered vehicle I am aware of struck a small child in the roadway.

Perhaps in the future when people travel to work in mechs, simple automobile users like myself will curse at them and vandalize their aesthetics.

Oh I agree that parking is abysmal and I would probably crudely tow it into the middle of the street myself after a few times.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

And therein lies the problem, giving people an isolation chamber to conduct their daily lives has led to some incredible levels of indifference.

However I think this indifference has a range of causes and cars are fairly low on the list.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is melting down like this a New Zealand cultural phenomenon or is it just Weka and Some Plague Rats?

I can’t recall many goons from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRgEeDR98X8

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 10:48 on Mar 5, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Jamesdestafford/status/1764337539312164978

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i think people do know why there's homelessness and mental health crises and i agree with the statement "glad i dont have to deal with that"

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

if you have a drivers license woof big fail

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Suplex Liberace posted:

if you have a drivers license woof big fail

I look really good in the picture and refuse to give it up because of that

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/TowerHamletsNow/status/1764667693834117311

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Weka posted:

The bicycle, apart from apparently being associated with white supremacy, was once seen as cars are now, a dangerous contraption that traveled at an unsafe speed. In fact the earliest user of a two wheeled mechanically powered vehicle I am aware of struck a small child in the roadway.

Perhaps in the future when people travel to work in mechs, simple automobile users like myself will curse at them and vandalize their aesthetics.

Oh I agree that parking is abysmal and I would probably crudely tow it into the middle of the street myself after a few times.

However I think this indifference has a range of causes and cars are fairly low on the list.

shut up already

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Gorson posted:

I look really good in the picture and refuse to give it up because of that

i can take some very nice picture of you if you would like

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BONGHITZ posted:

I don't think id be able to break a window with only my fist tbh
My husband broke this dipshit woman’s windshield with a hard open-palm slap in order to prevent himself and our dog from being run over in a crosswalk at a 4-way stop. She absolutely saw them and accelerated, I guess to play chicken. She then followed us around and called the cops. We lost her down some one way streets. It was wild poo poo., at least for me. This was years ago, and it was justified, so I’m not worried about it legally.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 15:06 on Mar 5, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I don't think I'd kick or slap a car today since everyone seems homicidally brain-damaged now compared to ten years ago

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't think I'd kick or slap a car today since everyone seems homicidally brain-damaged now compared to ten years ago

Why do you say that?

https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/2024/03/04/road-rage-incident-leaves-teen-unconscious-man-behind-bars-gwinnett-police-say/

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

this happened near me in 2017

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/chester-county-woman-fatally-shot-in-head-in-act-of-road-rage-20170630.html

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Megamissen posted:

never owned a car

same here. probably going to ride my bike today

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Does it count as road rage if they kill you for touching their car, rather than how you drove yours?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

when i was younger i would slap expensive cars that blocked pedestrian crossings. did it to a fresh 911 and the dude went ballistic. 10/10 would recommend

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

that's less than ten years ago isn't it

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

real pathetic poo poo itt

in other news, following the accident with the car I saw the bone doctor and he gave me the go ahead to ride my bike again whenever I felt up to it. So I threw my old saddle on the commuter I had previously bought a few days after the injury and went for my first ride in a week and half. Felt great, new to me bike is great (friction in the front and index in the rear) and a bit of pain mostly from bruised ribs, but the shoulder injury didn't affect me much. They gave me a referral for PT, so I am going to schedule that and give it a try, but really dramatic improvement from basically not being able to move my arm 10 days ago.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

latest on the murder of Ethan Boyes

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/ethan-boyes-presidio-death-hearing-18702874.php posted:

A federal judge on Monday questioned the terms of a potential plea deal for the San Francisco man accused of striking and killing champion cyclist Ethan Boyes in the Presidio in April while driving under the influence of alcohol.

Arnold Kinman Low, 81, is facing one count of vehicular manslaughter and one count of driving under the influence of alcohol in the fatal crash that killed USA Cycling champion Ethan Boyes, according to court documents. Federal prosecutors and Low’s lawyer appeared in court Monday to discuss the possible plea and agreed to return at a later date.

Assistant U.S. Attorney George Hageman told District Judge James Donato that attorneys had gotten “very close” to reducing the charges to misdemeanors that would carry a maximum sentence of up to one year in prison.

Under the terms of the deal, Low would admit he “did unlawfully kill a human being … without malice and without gross negligence.”

“Isn’t being intoxicated gross negligence in itself?” the judge said, incredulous.

That question, Hageman said, was “up for interpretation.”

The judge replied that interpreting the severity of the alleged crime was Hageman’s job as federal prosecutor.
He then asked Hageman about the length of possible prison time, to which the prosecutor said Low could spend up to one year in prison.

“For killing someone,” Donato replied. “Under the influence of alcohol.”

Low was indicted in November, eight months after the crash that killed Boyes, 44, who was riding on a winding stretch of Arguello Boulevard in the federally owned park. Boyes was cycling in a bike lane near Inspiration Point the afternoon of April 4 when he was hit.

For extra cspam flavor, he comes from a rich family around sf/sacramento and his brother is a board member of the the wk kellogg foundation, one of the richest private philanthropic foundations in the world. probably why arnold's name managed to stay out of the news for so long.

mystes
May 31, 2006

post hole digger posted:

For extra cspam flavor, he comes from a rich family around sf/sacramento and his brother is a board member of the the wk kellogg foundation, one of the richest private philanthropic foundations in the world. probably why arnold's name managed to stay out of the news for so long.
It must suck to be that rich and still apparently unable to afford an uber to drive you home when you're drunk

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

And another thing, please don't put in the judgement that I got mad, or grossly negligent.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Can a judge block a plea deal?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

no lube so what posted:

when i was younger i would slap expensive cars that blocked pedestrian crossings. did it to a fresh 911 and the dude went ballistic. 10/10 would recommend

Yeah people are insanely reactionary about their cars being touched. I've given gentle pats to cars blocking crossings or streetcar doors and had drivers roll down their windows and threaten me over it.

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

Weka posted:

cars kill 1.6 million people a year

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

cat botherer posted:

Can a judge block a plea deal?

Most definitely.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This guy literally wrote a book about how automobiles are essentially private isolation chambers that operate in a public space and how that makes drivers raging lunatics with no connection to other human beings.

https://tomvanderbilt.com/the-book/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LIterallyABikeshop posted:

Breaking: NHTSA recommends raising drunk driving level to 0.40, Interstate speed limit to 325 mph.

“We’ve got to follow the science and meet people where they are.”

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 22:53 on Mar 5, 2024

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

That’s almost 1.6 million more each year than me, loving respect

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Breaking: NHTSA recommends raising drunk drifing level to 0.4, Interstate speed limit to 325 mph.

It will take about a day before you see drivers complaining that they saw someone hogging the left lane doing only 350.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

That’s almost 1.6 million more each year than me, loving respect

Wrong. I will never respect a car

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

^ They're working on it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpuX-5E7xoU&t=448s

But also rewind the video since it covers a new report about grille/hood height and how good they've gotten at killing kids.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Balkanized rubber is tough stuff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/XrVIhwP.mp4

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

even on the brightest day I would put a big rear end light at the back, or two

edit: oh and I wouldn't drive it in the US

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

post hole digger posted:

this guy would have been quietly plea'd out if he hadn't killed a famous dude

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Platystemon posted:

Breaking: NHTSA recommends raising drunk driving level to 0.40, Interstate speed limit to 325 mph.

Smart move. If you’ve got a BAC of 0.4, you need to drive yourself to the hospital as fast as possible.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just spent $600 on my wife's car

https://x.com/chiyclist/status/1765056601298207118?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

give the baby a bullhorn and make them the coxswain