Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I misread the paperwork when I moved to Wisconsin, thought I had a few months, got an angry letter saying I'm going to be in trouble for having an out of state ID, went in the next Monday, everything got taken care of with no one giving me any poo poo for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

When I moved to NM, I updated my address with insurance. About a month later my insurance company called and said the state wanted to know why a car was insured that wasn't registered with them or something. I just told the person that I was waiting for 60 day residency and she said ok and that's all I heard of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In California, you have ten days to get a drivers license once you establish residency.

However

merely moving here is not "establishing residency" according to the DMV, so it's actually far more lenient:

quote:

Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

so merely moving here does not start the clock, and in fact if you don't vote, aren't a student, and don't file for a property tax exemption, you could potentially live here for years without being required to get a state DL.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I know Texas cops love to whammy people keeping out of state plates and licenses, but I imagine inflows are a lot higher there than PA.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Having an out of state plate is always going to make you likelier to get pulled over. The cops just don't care if your license is in state or out, as long as it's not expired. Unless as mentioned you've already done something else to make them want to throw the book in your face.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

In California, you have ten days to get a drivers license once you establish residency.

However

merely moving here is not "establishing residency" according to the DMV, so it's actually far more lenient:

so merely moving here does not start the clock, and in fact if you don't vote, aren't a student, and don't file for a property tax exemption, you could potentially live here for years without being required to get a state DL.

Ahh, that's good to know, thank you!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Eric the Mauve posted:

Having an out of state plate is always going to make you likelier to get pulled over. The cops just don't care if your license is in state or out, as long as it's not expired. Unless as mentioned you've already done something else to make them want to throw the book in your face.

Sometimes they don’t care about that either, my buddy had out of state AZ plates when we lived in MN and kept them on for months after we moved to UT. He told me he got pulled over repeatedly in AZ but once he left it didn’t happen again.

I may or may not have kept my ID plates on my truck despite having a UT drivers license and driving back to the same county I used to live in to renew them

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

In california you have 20 days to register your car here. Misleadingly, the CA DMV says you have 20 days from "becoming a resident" (see previous post) or "getting a job" in CA, but actually:

quote:

§4000.4 (a) – Except as provided in Sections 6700, 6702, and 6703, any vehicle which is registered to a nonresident owner, and which is based in California or primarily used on California highways, shall be registered in California.

it's actually just "based in CA" or "primarily used" here. So it's a lot less lenient than the rules for getting a CA drivers license, and yes, out of state plates may attract a little more attention.

That said, I had a friend who kept her alaska-registered beat up old pickup truck in california for like 10 years without registering it in CA and she never got in trouble for it. She did not speed or park in weird places though.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Welp, put an offer on a place Sat, agent texted me last night the place ended up getting 34 offers lol. I had the high bid, but some dork with a slightly lower bid went no inspection so they went with that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
2024-real-estate-market.txt

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

phosdex posted:

Welp, put an offer on a place Sat, agent texted me last night the place ended up getting 34 offers lol. I had the high bid, but some dork with a slightly lower bid went no inspection so they went with that.

Yep in a lot of markets an inspection costs $50,000 in overbidding. I lost a place once having the highest bid by about 5%, but they took the lower one with no inspection.

Nobody wants the uncertainty of an inspection, additional negotiating, possibility of deal falling through. It isn't worth the hassle to the seller in tight markets.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If you're buying a house from a private individual with no real estate agent, and you don't have a buyer's agent, what are all the things you need to do to effect the sale?

e.g., in my area I know all real estate sales have to be overseen by an attorney, so i'd have to hire an attorney. Not asking for local law guidance but just a general "these are the sorts of things you should do" (pre purchase inspection, etc.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you're buying a house from a private individual with no real estate agent, and you don't have a buyer's agent, what are all the things you need to do to effect the sale?

e.g., in my area I know all real estate sales have to be overseen by an attorney, so i'd have to hire an attorney. Not asking for local law guidance but just a general "these are the sorts of things you should do" (pre purchase inspection, etc.)

You should hire a real estate attorney that practices in your area and ask them, because they will know specifically what things are required in your area to buy/sell a house. Customs differe from area to area. More than you appear to understand from that post.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Jenkl posted:

Yep in a lot of markets an inspection costs $50,000 in overbidding. I lost a place once having the highest bid by about 5%, but they took the lower one with no inspection.

Nobody wants the uncertainty of an inspection, additional negotiating, possibility of deal falling through. It isn't worth the hassle to the seller in tight markets.

I've got a tiny bit of hope I'll carry for a couple days. My current house I was outbid on as well, but the buyer couldn't get financing or something.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Motronic posted:

You should hire a real estate attorney that practices in your area and ask them, because they will know specifically what things are required in your area to buy/sell a house. Customs differe from area to area. More than you appear to understand from that post.

I'm aware. Im just asking for a checklist of good ideas (e.g., asking for a home inspection and termite report) to cross check whoever I hire & so that I can start working on things in parallel if I need to. That's why I said, in the post, that I was aware there were local variations.

This thread seems to assume anyone asking any question at all is too dumb to realize bleach isn't coca cola

Edit: don't worry I'm not dumb enough to blindly do whatever yall suggest either but it's cheaper to post than to call an attorney so yall get asked first

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 5, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm aware. Im just asking for a checklist of good ideas (e.g., asking for a home inspection and termite report) to cross check whoever I hire & so that I can start working on things in parallel if I need to. That's why I said, in the post, that I was aware there were local variations.

This thread seems to assume anyone asking any question at all is too dumb to realize bleach isn't coca cola

Again, it's local. This is one of the actually useful services a real estate agent provides.

Let's take your own example: termite inspection. Totally local. Lots of places simply don't have termites. Other places have different pests.

Some places require a deposit to "take a house off the market" and it's not refundable. People in other places think that's crazy.

Your question isn't a good one because you don't know what you don't know.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Motronic posted:

Which is . . . Why I am asking

I am asking for information about the set of possible things i could ask a local professional. I realize termite inspections are local, that is specifically why I used that as an example.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I did the same in October.

1. Inspection by someone well reviewed in the area. Don't go cheap, it should take 4+ hours. The more local the better. It's worth spending a bit more for.
2. If you have septic/a well/anything like that your local laws may require an inspection. For septic you should definitely at least have it emptied, which usually works as a defacto inspection anyway (the last time I did mine they put a camera down, tested the pump, etc.
3. Arrange a final walkthrough before closing. Sometimes with private-to-private sales things get casual but this is super important. Don't let things get to "Yeah I'll finish stuff up a day or two after closing" with the seller. You want a clean break.
4. Give yourself more time than you think to get finances together if you're getting a mortgage, even if everything is straightforward. The bank will always want one more form or one more statement.
5. Get a list of all the utilities you'll need to move over. Remember things like propane. ideally, get some statements from the seller on the cost of utilities, Winter and Summer before committing. Years ago a friend of mine bought a house then discovered the previous owner was spending almost 2/3 of the mortgage payment on heat in the winter. It was a huge project he didn't anticipate with a clock on it. Guess what: He had a lovely inspector.

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but that is what comes to mind based on what I just went through.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Motronic posted:

Again, it's local. This is one of the actually useful services a real estate agent provides.

Let's take your own example: termite inspection. Totally local. Lots of places simply don't have termites. Other places have different pests.

Some places require a deposit to "take a house off the market" and it's not refundable. People in other places think that's crazy.

the OP literally stated that he was hiring an attorney and that it was not asking for local law guidance. then you recommended OP hire an attorney and now you are commenting on potential varieties of local requirements.

c’mon man, i haven’t finished enough coffee to mod this slapfight

lockback with a helpful reply here

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lockback posted:

I did the same in October.

. . ..

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but that is what comes to mind based on what I just went through.

Thanks, that was helpful. This is at the "that nice old lady who lives around the corner from the inlaws said she was going to sell soon" stage, but it sounds like the sellers want to avoid going through an agent if possible to save money. Which, like, great, but just because they want to fly blind doesn't mean I'm going to.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Get your free credit report now, and inspect it very closely for any errors, and if there are errors get them addressed now.

If you have cash for a down payment, situate it in a bank account and don't move it around or gently caress with it at all for the next month. Keep records of exactly where all that money came from, such as: other bank account, brokerage, or especially if it's a gift from your parents or something.

"We don't want to pay an agent" is a yellow flag. Not a show-stopper, but it can indicate the seller are the kind of obstinate people who won't budge on what they know what they know. For example, just because your inspection says the house needs a new roof, they may refuse to budge on price, because they know that roof still has a few good years on it. One of the services an agent can provide - many do not, but they ought to and some do - is talk some sense into their client when they're taking a position that is likely to torpedo the whole deal, because agents are highly motivated to quickly close deals.

The sellers need to also have an attorney. If they're trying to sell a house with neither an agent nor an attorney, it's not going to work out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah yellow flag sounds right.

Credit report isn't an issue; I did that months ago (it turns out my wife and I both have 800+ credit scores, which explains why we get so many unsolicited credit cars offers).

We went and looked at the property exterior over the weekend and it looks great . . . Except for a one inch crack in the brick on one corner of the house. Which may be a fixable issue but may be a big problem and would need an inspection etc. So we will see.

The standard practice in my state, oddly, is for one attorney to oversee real estate sales for both sides. It's bizarre and probably a conflict but our courts allow it and it's normal here.

I think my next steps are probably

1) set up an actual walk through of this place

2) figure the best way to get short term equity out of the current house (heloc? Bridge loan?) For down payment and renovations on this house or whatever other place we end up getting

3) put out feelers locally and find a good attorney, home inspector, and buyers' agent / agent to help us sell our own place.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 5, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Ok, yeah you're super early. You'll want a real appraisal too, I'd probably do that before paying for an attorney. Don't take appraisals as gospel truth but it does give you something concrete you can talk through. IMO, even if you're doing this as a "I will take care of everything" kind of deal the seller should pay for the appraisal. If they won't, that's a real bad sign on their willingness to work with you moving forward.

As Leperflesh says, if they don't have a agent at all who the hell knows what might be running through their mind in terms of pricing or what the house needs. Most of the time people over value their property, especially if there's relatives with inheritance dreams dancing in their heads.

Getting them to move on an appraisal might be a pain but it will give you some sense for how serious they are to actually sell. If they do get an appraisal and you are doing this with no agents its completely valid to ask to see the full appraisal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lockback posted:

Ok, yeah you're super early. You'll want a real appraisal too, I'd probably do that before paying for an attorney.

Thanks! Yeah we are just getting rolling. We'd been talking about moving for years but new kid and the in-laws want us to move closer because grandbaby, so now we're just starting to get off our butts and figure out first steps.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Some general suggestions:
- General inspection. Based on this report you may want to hire other experts to get more information (and perhaps quotes) - an electrician, an HVAC person, etc.
- Sewer scoping - a lot of people skip this but it's a good idea imo. General inspector probably won't do this
- Roof inspection - even more people skip this. If you get the right general inspector they may do this, but it doesn't count if they're just using a drone to take some photos
- Termite inspection - pretty standard all over, but get local guidance
- Arborist - Got any trees, especially big trees? This person will identify any issues (e.g. "that 100 foot tall douglas fir is dead, it needs to be removed immediately) and how to care for what's there
- Survey - if you have a lender they may require this, always a good idea to get one
- Appraisal - lender required, a lot of people will say this is useless but sometimes it can help you identify glaring issues in your offer. It's a cross check
- Title report - a lender will want this, you want this too
- CC&Rs - Should be included with the title report

Lawyer should be able to identify all of these and more. The local REA cartel may have standard sets of forms that you can look at too, your attorney should be able to provide you with these. These forms will have some of the common services that are used during a real estate purchase, including a lot of optional ones

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh yeah get a flood map, unless it's like, obviously going to be irrelevant

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Also, be sure to go on optoutprescreen.com and make sure that you are opted out of having your contact information shared based on credit activity. If you don't, within minutes of filing for preapproval with any bank you'll get absolutely inundated with calls from desperate mortgage brokers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Leperflesh posted:

oh yeah get a flood map, unless it's like, obviously going to be irrelevant

I have some word of mouth on that already, good call.. Our area had "thousand year" floods about ten years back, and so I asked and my in laws have verified nothing in their neighborhood flooded despite being adjacent to a river (there's a high bluff cliff shelf at the riverbank).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Shifty Pony posted:

Also, be sure to go on optoutprescreen.com and make sure that you are opted out of having your contact information shared based on credit activity. If you don't, within minutes of filing for preapproval with any bank you'll get absolutely inundated with calls from desperate mortgage brokers.

That's possible? That s why I've been putting off calling professionals and just posting here first instead! The minute you call anyone it's like you just slit your wrists in the shark tank

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I have some word of mouth on that already, good call.. Our area had "thousand year" floods about ten years back, and so I asked and my in laws have verified nothing in their neighborhood flooded despite being adjacent to a river (there's a high bluff cliff shelf at the riverbank).

Still look at some flood maps. If nothing else it's important to know where the local low points are even if the water doesn't reach your house. For example: if poo poo gets real, is your house now an island? Is the water between you an the grocery store likely to be six inches deep, or 3 feet deep?

There's really not much effort, just looking at the map for a few minutes and going "huh, that road two blocks over is about three feet below us and becomes a loving river if things get bad, good to know."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That's possible? That s why I've been putting off calling professionals and just posting here first instead! The minute you call anyone it's like you just slit your wrists in the shark tank

Yep, just give it a week or three to go through first. We signed up there and got zero unsolicited calls regarding mortgages, and as a nice side effect you also stop getting unsolicited mail from banks saying you are preapproved for poo poo.

It doesn't stop the life insurance companies trying to pass off their ship coverage policies as some sort of required paperwork for your mortgage after you close. Those assholes get your information from the public recordation of the new deed and lien.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh yeah, flood maps and geologic survey maps should be free to access and may be very interesting, depending on your area.

Look at your school zone map, if you care

Test for lead if the home is older and hasn't already had lead removal. "How old" is tough to answer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Shockingly, I haven't gotten any spam calls or emails from house buying. I have gotten some letters in the mail.

I'm still getting several calls every week from a job search three years ago in another state.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The flood map isn't just for interest, it will also have a strong relationship to the availability and cost of flood insurance. Note that flood is pretty much always excluded from your regular homeowners' insurance. Depending on your state, and the flood map, that insurance could be thousands a year and may significantly impact your budgeting for the house purchase. Probably needless to say, but if there's a nonzero chance of flooding, you need flood insurance.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its so funny how many listings have pictures at just the right angles to avoid showing how close they are to other houses or a busy road. but they are easily defeated by google maps

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our area had "thousand year" floods about ten years back,

FEMA has been on a tear, updating their 100 year flood maps, they are published online and in the case of north Carolina they're generally part of the county GIS data set for free on the county/tax acessors website

Don't sleep on flood maps

Also also, and it varies, but in general there's a growing consensus that 100 year flood maps are not at all accurate. NC went through a big broughaha with updating their flood maps to actually match reality and a lot of land lost it's value because it's virtually unbuildable due to going from a 1000 -> 10 year flood rating and making flood insurance infeasible

That goes double for anywhere that flooded in recent memory, which, sounds like you live in that type of area

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Or across the street from a fire station and busy 4 lane road with no yard. There’s a pair of them at $1.9M each, 449 days on the market. lol, lmao

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

a lot of land lost it's value because it's virtually unbuildable due to going from a 1000 -> 10 year flood rating

Eastern_NC_is_a_series_of_drained_swamps.txt

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nybble posted:

Or across the street from a fire station and busy 4 lane road with no yard. There’s a pair of them at $1.9M each, 449 days on the market. lol, lmao

Until they closed it down a fire station was right across from my house. They were great neighbors. Here's a tip: They almost never turn on their sirens at night when pulling out because there is probably another shift sleeping.

We'd bring them cookies and stuff and when my kids were little they'd let them climb on the trucks when they were washing them. Great neighbors.

QuarkJets posted:

Test for lead if the home is older and hasn't already had lead removal. "How old" is tough to answer.

Oh this is a great one! Do a water test, it's not expensive and can tell you an awful lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mistermojo posted:

its so funny how many listings have pictures at just the right angles to avoid showing how close they are to other houses or a busy road. but they are easily defeated by google maps

"Oh cool, drone images of the place looking to the North, East, South, and... huh why no West facing view?"

Every drat time.