Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Saraiguma posted:

look if they wanted us to kill random bugs we'd get points for it, holes, goals, and samples is all I'm after

every bullet gets a vote and they all vote for spreading super democracy, how dare you deny your ammo their rights as citizens of super earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Average Spear experience:
https://i.imgur.com/cCiJpmG.mp4

Man I wish it was good. I like the concept of it, but as it stands there seems to be basically no reason not to just use a recoilless instead. That one also has very decent anti-armor capability while having way more ammo and ironically a generally easier time aiming.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Discovered the joys of the 500kg Bomb today, few things that make you get a Freedom Boner more than watching a Charger just get instantly pasted into a delicious bug gumbo by a gigantic fireball of Managed Democracy

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I killed two bile titans in one mission yesterday as they spawned with a perfectly placed 500kg bomb, it was very satisfying.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Is that what The Founding Fathers intended?
"The Chargers are coming! The Chargers are coming!"

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Perestroika posted:

Average Spear experience:
https://i.imgur.com/cCiJpmG.mp4

Man I wish it was good. I like the concept of it, but as it stands there seems to be basically no reason not to just use a recoilless instead. That one also has very decent anti-armor capability while having way more ammo and ironically a generally easier time aiming.

You can kind of get it to work in Automaton missions - it can lock onto their spawners, making base clears a dream, and hulks and tanks are much slower than chargers for easier shots. The ability to lock on is based on at least somewhat how much of the target you can see. Height is your friend here. It can also be easier to use by looking down the sight - there's a wandering target cursor that helps show you what part you should be pointed at.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I find it hard to not take 500KG/Orbital gas/Rail/Shield backpack as the optimal loadout that can handle literally everything on short cooldown.

If you have friends and you both don't die constantly and lose your bodies I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one person go without a backpack/support weapon and call down a extra pair in 5 minutes for the other, letting them take more boom.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Spookydonut posted:

if you trigger a bug burst or a bot drop then run away (esp at higher difficulties) because unless you can wipe them out quickly patrols will run into your massive fight and call more bursts/drops

remember: theres no reward for killing anything except objectives

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Split the difference, run to the next objective while killing everything behind you.

I think the point they're trying to make is more "don't stick around trying to clean every single enemy where you're standing when you could be doing that while also moving to the next objective/POI".

No point in hovering around an objective youve already cleared trying to deal with the shitstorm that dropped/breached all over when you could start hoofing it to the next place and nicely group all the enemies together for a fat airstrike/orbital while doing it, and reduce the risk of rando patrols joining your spread out fight and having the entire thing snowball for 5+ minutes.

For bots it seems to only be comissars (pistol and sword guys leading patrols) that will call in bot drops so if you can kill those first/fast it's less of an issue too but I think every bug can do the pheromone cloud thing?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I find it hard to not take 500KG/Orbital gas/Rail/Shield backpack as the optimal loadout that can handle literally everything on short cooldown.

If you have friends and you both don't die constantly and lose your bodies I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one person go without a backpack/support weapon and call down a extra pair in 5 minutes for the other, letting them take more boom.

I play with another person in a duo + 2 randoms and the railgun/arc thrower combo is pretty effective on bug missions. Arc thrower can bring an ammo pack if necessary ,barely needs ammo themselves, and can mop up anything that railgun shots would be wasted on.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 5, 2024

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I may be wrong here but chucking an eagle and blowing up enemies trailing me has pretty reliably allowed my to shake aggression off so long as i immediately leave. I think enemies are attracted to the actual source of the sound so strikes can act as a distraction as well

throwing a strike beacon also instantly aggros groups!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Fishstick posted:

For bots it seems to only be comissars (pistol and sword guys leading patrols) that will call in bot drops so if you can kill those first/fast it's less of an issue too but I think every bug can do the pheromone cloud thing?

This is 100% not true. All* Raiders (the basic and 'elite' regular troopers) can shoot flares. All basic bugs up to and including Hive Commanders can call breaches, but I've never seen yellow or green spitters, chargers, or bile titans call in breaches.

*I haven't ever noticed a rocket raider shoot a flare, but I've definitely seen double blade and regular gun raiders shoot flares.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I just discovered that if you start a campaign on a planet which then gets fully liberated, it will let you finish that whole campaign, meaning you can play on planets that are technically inaccessible to other players. It explains the small amount of player activity on non accessible planets on helldivers.io.

also figured out that your ship log will tell you the planet type of the campaign you're on. The moon one said 'Sandy', which is the same as the desert planet, so I think the type is more to do with the terrain features, like how there are 3 or 4 different coloured jungle planets which presumably all share the same type.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
So is it a thing to just bounce from one eliminate terminid mission to the next? Seems like a couple hundred experience and a warbond or two per minute is the most efficient grind by far.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Darox posted:

This is 100% not true. All* Raiders (the basic and 'elite' regular troopers) can shoot flares. All basic bugs up to and including Hive Commanders can call breaches, but I've never seen yellow or green spitters, chargers, or bile titans call in breaches.

*I haven't ever noticed a rocket raider shoot a flare, but I've definitely seen double blade and regular gun raiders shoot flares.

I've definitely seen a rocket raider flare up

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Chocobo posted:

So is it a thing to just bounce from one eliminate terminid mission to the next? Seems like a couple hundred experience and a warbond or two per minute is the most efficient grind by far.

If you want to hit the Req cap with 0 ship upgrades by repeatedly playing the most boring mission type, sure.
"But what about the medal grind" Everything good from warbonds can be picked up long before you'll max out the ship upgrades.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I just got the game, played a couple missions solo just to figure out my setup and stuff, mainly going to be playing with friends but wanted to ask if there were any big obvious "hey buy this asap" weapons or grenades or whatever, early in the unlock tree? It looks fairly linear. Also wondering if the battle pass is worth it at all, seems like you can slowly earn the paid currency and I read they never go away either so possibly better to eke it out and get it for free if there is stuff worth getting in there?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I just discovered that if you start a campaign on a planet which then gets fully liberated, it will let you finish that whole campaign, meaning you can play on planets that are technically inaccessible to other players. It explains the small amount of player activity on non accessible planets on helldivers.io.

this happened to me yesterday and i ended up powering through two difficulty 7 missions solo since it wouldn't give me reinforcements

honestly wasn't too bad once i started aggressively running away from every fight

Darox posted:

If you want to hit the Req cap with 0 ship upgrades by repeatedly playing the most boring mission type, sure.
"But what about the medal grind" Everything good from warbonds can be picked up long before you'll max out the ship upgrades.

yep samples are far and away the biggest bottleneck in progression, there's no point at all grinding anything else

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah, nth-ing this. The game is fun, play the highest difficulty you can manage. And play whatever strategems you want, the Railgun and shield aren't required for any difficulty, speaking as someone who runs Helldives.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
People will probably swap over to saying war medals are biggest grind once they upgraded their hangar all the way and a new battlepass is out in a month.
The 40 minute missions get you big maps full of super bucks to pay for those battlepasses though.

Speaking of battlepasses, when I first tried out the game and saw a battlepass and paid currency I was ready to groan and be down on the game as yet another fomo inducing whale fishery, but then I saw the pass had no time limit and you could get the premium currency ingame at a decent clip and the cosmetics are priced at like $3 worth of premium currency, which is unheard of these days of $20 skins, was anyone else ready to dismiss the game until they saw how well the pass and premium currency was implemented?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 5, 2024

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

I just got the game, played a couple missions solo just to figure out my setup and stuff, mainly going to be playing with friends but wanted to ask if there were any big obvious "hey buy this asap" weapons or grenades or whatever, early in the unlock tree? It looks fairly linear. Also wondering if the battle pass is worth it at all, seems like you can slowly earn the paid currency and I read they never go away either so possibly better to eke it out and get it for free if there is stuff worth getting in there?

eagle airstrike and EATs are very good early strats that will be useful for most of the game. For guns, the breaker is arguably the best weapon in the game

game is also generous with the premium currency. Im level 30 something and have around 1400 super credits. the stuff in the premium pass is all right, but i dont think anything it has is near the top of the meta

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

https://i.imgur.com/tv9tdh7.mp4

I didn't realize this was intentional until the replay. t:mad:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
All I see there is someone who forgot to turn the safety off their railgun.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I'm more impressed you managed to die to the 500kg's absolutely anemic radius

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

raverrn posted:

You can kind of get it to work in Automaton missions - it can lock onto their spawners, making base clears a dream, and hulks and tanks are much slower than chargers for easier shots. The ability to lock on is based on at least somewhat how much of the target you can see. Height is your friend here. It can also be easier to use by looking down the sight - there's a wandering target cursor that helps show you what part you should be pointed at.

I saw a video of someone using the lock-on spear, and when they were using it they would have that 'aiming' triangle come up, then they put the center dot of their aim into the middle of that triangle, and it would lock on.

The person in this video didn't do that, at all. Their dot didn't go in the aiming triangle, and the lock-on keeps failing.

I haven't used it, but I wonder if it's just a mechanic that isn't well understood, and it actually works great when you properly 'center' it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Arianya posted:

I'm more impressed you managed to die to the 500kg's absolutely anemic radius

Hellbombs and 500kgs, partners in disappointing effective radius

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Regarding stealth, bots have ears and different guns have different sound ranges. They also have different alert states, and they will happily suppress the last place they saw you or the direction of a gunshot even if they didn't see you yet.

They can hear you moving, the scout armor reduces movement noise alongside sight range. Crawling is quietest, then crouching, then walking.

Bots can see thrown beacons and follow the arc back to the source, but won't see beacons thrown behind them. Artillery will know where you're at the second you call any strategem within their range.

Most guns can be heard from 50m. SMGs, side arms (including the revolver), and the laser from 25 but they can see the laser and hear or see misses if they impact nearby. Going full auto seems to alert them much more easily. The marksman rifle is audible from 50m but sometimes they will let you get away with one shot closer and just sort of stare in your direction like they aren't sure it was a gunshot.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 5, 2024

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Quote is not edit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So, we thinking these mechs are going to cost money to get?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Cold, hard cash

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

The Premium BP is pretty bad overall, you definitely shouldn't bother till you get the Breaker and Impact Grenades in the regular one, at least.

My 100% Accurate and Definitive weapon ranking list:

S Tier

Redeemer (Page 2) - Machine Pistol - strictly better than the other two options except in aesthetics.

Breaker - (Page 5) - Automatic Shotgun - currently king poo poo of killing every bug.

Slugger - (Page 8) - Pump Action - Fires Slugs that do enough damage to one shot small robots and headshot devastators - per bullet reload.

Defender (Page 3) - SMG - Slower ROF but more damage per bullet and a bigger mag than the default gun.

A Tier -

Liberator (Default)

B Tier - Guns that require a bit too much work to be worth the effort but aren't awful.

Diligence (Page 2) - DMR - If you wanna click heads and are good at it, it puts in work vs. bots... but it requires more effort for the same results as the above options.

Liberator Explosive (Premium Page 1) Gives up a lot for a questionable bonus tag but it staggers mid sized stuff really well and occasionally the tag is useful vs. spewers.

Dominator (Premium Page 3) similar to the slugger but mag fed and a bit less damage (doesn't headshot devastators) brought down by awful handling.

Scorcher (Page 10) - It's fun but has ammo problems and you can kill yourself with it at close range.

Breaker Incindiary (Premium Page 2) looks neat, but fire damage is weak and it has trouble hitting things hard enough to kill them right away at short-mid range.

Punisher (Page 1) Pump action shotgun, it just isn't enough better than the breaker for it's fire rate and reload speed.

F Tier

Diligence CS - Handles terribly, loses a bunch of ammo compared to the Diligence and doesn't hit any breakpoints that matter - people say it has medium armor pen but it doesn't do enough damage for that to matter.

Breaker Spray and Pray - Doesn't hurt most things at any range.

Liberator Penetrator - gives up too much compared to the liberator - less damage, 3 round burst and 30 round mag means it does worse damage per mag than the redeemer pistol by a big margin, and has the worst DPM overall for primary weapons... it not killing hunters in one burst feels very bad, and vs. bots it requires like an entire mag to kill anything with medium armor anyways, so why bother.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 5, 2024

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The premium BP is important because it has the best victory emote, Rolled em. The second best victory emote (Fingerguns) is on page 2 of the regular battlepass though so don't feel too pressured to get it quickly.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Grenade Launcher + Ammo Backpack fun as gently caress.
Just exploding packs of bug nerds nonstop :gritin:

I have learnt that the Mortar Sentry can and will launch mortars directly next to team mates if an enemy is next to them... sorry rando pubbies :sweatdrop:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

explosivo posted:

There's no reason why they won't be unlockable the same way as the other stratagems.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

explosivo posted:

I assume they'll drop a Mech (possibly + other vehicles) Warbond for 1,000 SC with associated Boosts/Armor/Emote of your character doing the Rollin' dance.
Something to sink Medals and Super Creds into basically.
We haven't seen Strategms show up in Warbonds yet, but i'm sure they support it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Did HD1 have any ways of repairing vehicles? I read they were usually one-use so if you got em killed that was it for the duration of the mission, but idk if there were any ways of re-arming or patching up vehicles?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Fishstick posted:

Did HD1 have any ways of repairing vehicles? I read they were usually one-use so if you got em killed that was it for the duration of the mission, but idk if there were any ways of re-arming or patching up vehicles?

The REP 80 can heal players, sentry's and vehicles.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Infidelicious posted:

Liberator Penetrator - gives up too much compared to the liberator - less damage, 3 round burst and 30 round mag means it does worse damage per mag than the redeemer pistol by a big margin, and has the worst DPM overall for primary weapons... it not killing hunters in one burst feels very bad, and vs. bots it requires like an entire mag to kill anything with medium armor anyways, so why bother.

I mow down hunters in one burst of the Liberator Pen all the time. The burst also has no delay so mashing the button is basically the same as auto. Its no breaker but I dont compare guns to the breaker because, well... its the breaker.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

skaianDestiny posted:

There's no reason why they won't be unlockable the same way as the other stratagems.

Pretty much all the vehicles in HD1 were locked behind DLC packs :shrug:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

True helldivers don't use shields... They use jetpacks and hide on top the highest piece of rock.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
This game is dope. I played a string of missions with pubbies And we did amazingly well. Everything went so smoothly and I couldn't pin down what was working so well until I looked at the post battle stats.

0 friendly fire damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I have the same amount of TKs as my friend who has over double my playtime and only one of them was intentional. Eagle Cluster Bombs sometimes just reach out and give people smooches :shobon:

That being said my friend has probably teamkilled me and herself like six times by accidentally handing me a contact nade.

I'm like 20 hours deep on this poo poo and it's such fun. It reminds me of that old game from the 00s, Mercenaries. All it's missing (besides stuff that's already on the roadmap) is some ally NPCs to make the battles feel a little more epic imo.