Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Artelier posted:

This card shop triggered my XCOM doubt response

I've used it many time™ and never had an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't even understand what the point of having a 1/1000 chance of breaking is, it's so low. I've never had it get destroyed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RBA Starblade posted:

15 minute city gets a little easier when you realize you can have multiple gaps with Shortcut for a straight, but lol Ride the Bus just sucks
I was super mad doing that challenge today and was sure the shuffler was broken because I was drawing so many face cards. Eventually I figured it out.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

mystes posted:

I don't even understand what the point of having a 1/1000 chance of breaking is, it's so low. I've never had it get destroyed.

It’s a meta comment on the fragility of the ecosystem

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

I've had it break once

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Bought it! Mine broke. :xcom:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
1 in 1000 adds up over the course of a run, if you get one early that adds up to about a 2% chance it breaks before the end. That's rare but not absurdly rare.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DaveWoo posted:

That challenge isn't too bad, you just need to make sure you're ramping up your Ride the Bus multiplier as much as possible. That should carry you through the first couple of antes, at which point you should be able to get more jokers to support you.

Or at least there should be a voucher that gives an extra booster in the shop

I beat it by totally ignoring RtB lol. Got a couple 1.5x multipliers too to ride it in

No Wave posted:

I was super mad doing that challenge today and was sure the shuffler was broken because I was drawing so many face cards. Eventually I figured it out.

Yeah lol, it's easier to just lean into them if nothing promising pops up

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Improved the calculator, now it can calculate the best* possible hand. Of course if you have too many cards it'll take longer than the heat death of the universe but y'know, the option is there. Also changed how to manually add cards to make it less cumbersome.

https://buffoonery.online?game=Even...,2K:1,1K:1,HC:1

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 5, 2024

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Artelier posted:

So would "doubles all odds" affect this negatively then? 2 in 1000.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

War Wizard posted:

So would "doubles all odds" affect this negatively then? 2 in 1000.

Yep, just as it would the other banana

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Artelier posted:

mystes posted:

This can, and it will break on you eventually and then you'll have a pretty good WTF response.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

That feeling when you finally clear white stake with Nebula deck after like 8 tries... With a cracked out Scholar/Fibonacci/Vampire setup that literally never bought a single Planet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many bananas do I need to eat before the Cavendish gets unlocked?

Also gently caress the red deck. Every single time I get to ante 8 it just never draws what I've gone for with it and shuffles for the same number or type as what I just discarded forever

e: Got my answer and solved my problem with it and Blueprint lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 5, 2024

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

How many bananas do I need to eat before the Cavendish gets unlocked?

It's unlocked from the start but you need to buy the Gros Michel and have it go extinct each run before it can show up. Good news is that it's a common!

In other news,

I swear I always get the worst possible legendary for my deck.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

15 minute city gets a little easier when you realize you can have multiple gaps with Shortcut for a straight, but lol Ride the Bus just sucks

I beat gold stake thanks to Ride The Bus, you really have to make sure you juice it as much as possible.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just had a Gros Michel last from ante 1 all the way to ante 9. Shine on you lil' banana

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Hm. Had multiple orange stake runs die on ante 7 or earlier. The previous stakes were usually doable in a couple tries but I lost a really promising Hologram/Tribe/Steel Joker run when I didn't draw a flush for my final hand. Bleh. The economy management wasn't even *that* bad but I must've had the 1 in 2 facecards = $2 joker proc like 20 times that run, and it was keeping me pretty solvent.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Bought this on mac and has ruined my life again, but it was nice to steamroll the first game after the tutorial

Pro-tip, if you are getting this on mac you need upgrade to Sonoma

Expert pro-tip, if you're using an external monitor upgrading to Sonoma will absolutely gently caress up all the colour and resolution settings and it'll be difficult if not (in most cases)impossible to get back to normal, and this hasn't been fixed lol

Master pro-tip, don't get a Mac

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Aipsh posted:

Master pro-tip, don't get a Mac
I mean yes, I knew this already.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

DaveWoo posted:

That challenge isn't too bad, you just need to make sure you're ramping up your Ride the Bus multiplier as much as possible. That should carry you through the first couple of antes, at which point you should be able to get more jokers to support you.

I just pretended ride the bus was a dead card and it was a 4 joker challenge. I suppose you could go the other way and ride the bus while ignoring the shortcut, but the bus in a standard 52 card deck is more work than it’s worth imo.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Gold stake abandoned deck beaten. This one was surprisingly annoying, the lack of face cards makes it harder to win the early rounds (which are always the worst part of higher stakes). It also means a lot of face-based jokers become useless, like Sock and Buskin, Shoot the Moon or Baron. Overall it's not as powerful as I though it'd be.

I'll probably do checkered next just to get the easy ones out of the way.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elman posted:

Gold stake abandoned deck beaten. This one was surprisingly annoying, the lack of face cards makes it harder to win the early rounds (which are always the worst part of higher stakes). It also means a lot of face-based jokers become useless, like Sock and Buskin, Shoot the Moon or Baron. Overall it's not as powerful as I though it'd be.

I'll probably do checkered next just to get the easy ones out of the way.

:nice:

Abandoned deck is fun but that's not the same as being good, and gold stake is a bastard even on a good deck.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I think Black stake is my preferred difficulty level. Eternal jokers open up some really interesting strategies, purple scaling is a motherfucker, and -1 discard really hampers things in general. Orange and gold are just not very fun at all.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Relyssa posted:

I think Black stake is my preferred difficulty level. Eternal jokers open up some really interesting strategies, purple scaling is a motherfucker, and -1 discard really hampers things in general. Orange and gold are just not very fun at all.

Me too. Even then, the balance isn't great. I don't know what the dev can do about it given the constraints of having to work with the rules of the poker deck. Best idea I could come up with is a $20 boss reroll and the ability to disable your own jokers for a round. It's a card in the game so it's supposed to be viable, but Smeared Joker disables half your deck in the best case scenario against four different bosses. Pareidolia enables so many rich strategies that are run-enders against multiple bosses.

It's boring as hell but the best strategies that don't eat poo poo if you get unlucky and pull the wrong boss blind are high card, pair, two pair, and three of a kind. If you want to win with style, it's completely out of your control whether a boss ends your fun.

This is at higher difficulties, I want to point out. At lower ones, depending on the deck, it's well balanced and you can usually power through the bad matchups with good hands and jokers.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Plus high card can use op-rear end stuntman. I agree that pareidolia gets too hosed.

I'm also noticing that on the switch version I can get that half base chips/multiplier as an ante 1 boss but I dont recall seeing it on my steam version, was that patched out? (if so GOOD that poo poo is not fair)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I think that is one of the bosses that can't show up until later, yes

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

Me too. Even then, the balance isn't great. I don't know what the dev can do about it given the constraints of having to work with the rules of the poker deck. Best idea I could come up with is a $20 boss reroll and the ability to disable your own jokers for a round. It's a card in the game so it's supposed to be viable, but Smeared Joker disables half your deck in the best case scenario against four different bosses. Pareidolia enables so many rich strategies that are run-enders against multiple bosses.

It's boring as hell but the best strategies that don't eat poo poo if you get unlucky and pull the wrong boss blind are high card, pair, two pair, and three of a kind. If you want to win with style, it's completely out of your control whether a boss ends your fun.

This is at higher difficulties, I want to point out. At lower ones, depending on the deck, it's well balanced and you can usually power through the bad matchups with good hands and jokers.

Yeah, the game has a bad habit of creating OP synergies and then trying to balance them by including hard counters against them. It does give you some outs, so it's not a total lost cause, but it could also just... make them less OP in the first place.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

I like that $20 boss reroll a lot because many times I've seen the hard counter coming when I'm on the small blind and there just aren't enough ways to roll through the shop and get a boss reroll. Off the top of my head, you have that voucher (which you get one voucher for the whole ante, so good luck) or the joker you can sell to reroll.

Maybe add it into the spectral deck?

I don't know how they'd balance it, but I'd love to reroll the packs. I've often found myself flush with cash but just wasting it all on card rerolls that don't offer me anything that levels up my build.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 5, 2024

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Man the final stake sure is a motherfucker. Feels like you need a blessed run JUST to get out of Ante 1. Agreed with the people saying the stakes need a lookover, having to reroll my start 100 times to actually play the game aint very fun

babypolis fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 5, 2024

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

unless you are playing the abandoned deck, in which case its just plus 1 multiplier per hand played

Abandoned deck is my favorite one for sure, the consistency it brings is soooo good and it enables so many strategies

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

i like that checkered deck exists as a pressure relief valve to turn my brain off but also i hate how laser focused on flushes i get after playing it for too long

erratic deck owns in general, i genuinely love that sort of thing in a roguelite

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Relyssa posted:

i like that checkered deck exists as a pressure relief valve to turn my brain off but also i hate how laser focused on flushes i get after playing it for too long

erratic deck owns in general, i genuinely love that sort of thing in a roguelite

:hmmyes:

Erratic deck is one of my favorites I think, it's simultaneously one of the most consistent decks and one of the most diversified decks without being as brainless as the checkered deck.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 5, 2024

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
just had a black deck run die on me in the last round of ante 8 because my CAVENDISH DIED

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Aipsh posted:

just had a black deck run die on me in the last round of ante 8 because my CAVENDISH DIED

No lottery tickets for you this week

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Ride The Bus, Supernova and Green Joker are all S tier high stakes jokers if you get them in ante 1/2, maybe 3 if your other jokers can pull their weight for a bit as they get going, you just pivot into playing "a pair" and then win. Then you run into the needle and die but that's Balatro.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
It's insane how the 7 card hand on gold just makes it so much more rng dependent than even orange

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Fun interaction I had the other day was I was at $-12 with the credit card and I got the wraith spectral that gives a random rare joker and sets money to 0 so I got a free rare joker and $12.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Einwand posted:

Ride The Bus, Supernova and Green Joker are all S tier high stakes jokers if you get them in ante 1/2, maybe 3 if your other jokers can pull their weight for a bit as they get going, you just pivot into playing "a pair" and then win. Then you run into the needle and die but that's Balatro.

I dislike green joker because I discard a lot but if you pair it with Burglar then it's S+ tier.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

It's insane how the 7 card hand on gold just makes it so much more rng dependent than even orange

It really fuckin sucks to play gold stake for this reason

the manacle is just miserable on it, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Relyssa posted:

I dislike green joker because I discard a lot but if you pair it with Burglar then it's S+ tier.

It really fuckin sucks to play gold stake for this reason

the manacle is just miserable on it, too

yeah it feels like playing regular poker, which loving sucks! I want to be Jhonny thirty six aces not some random schmuck!

i feel like the stakes stuff must have been hammered at the last second because most of them are pretty clunky ways to increase difficulty and they lack the elegance of the rest of the game

babypolis fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 5, 2024