Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Arkage posted:

What the gently caress am I missing?

A beefy gaming PC and digital foundry brain.

Admittedly the lighting is a little hosed up and performance mode is blurry, but if that’s due to them focusing on making a good game instead of a joyless graphics showcase, then hell yeah gimme the mini games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Arkage posted:

Man reading comments from other sites, I really don’t understand the hate boners this game is getting from some people for its graphics. It was a 4 year dev time, a third party dev, the game is absolutely huge, there are a ton of areas with AAA assets everywhere. I’ve been playing on performance mode on a 4K 65” sitting like, 10 feet away, and can barely tell the resolution difference between the two modes compared to the huge disparity between 30 and 60. What the gently caress am I missing?

An appointment with an eye doctor? The performance mode is almost 1/4 the resolution of the quality mode and uses a really poo poo upscaling technique.

*edit* I can make out the clear difference between these at 10' on a 27" computer monitor, there's no way you can't tell on a 65" TV.

Arkage posted:

a third party dev

It was developed and published by Square Enix though? It was made by Business Unit 1, their main FF dev team.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 5, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll take worse graphics if it gets me more games like this.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I dont mind the graphics but the NPC animations have hosed up several times now in seemingly important scenes which really does take me out of it

my favorite was the guy slowly walking out of the burning building and then just laying down on the floor

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's just how some people roll

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

mistermojo posted:

my favorite was the guy slowly walking out of the burning building and then just laying down on the floor

It’s called having a panic attack. Give him a break

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

big mean giraffe posted:

It was developed and published by Square Enix though? It was made by Business Unit 1, their main FF dev team.

Square Enix are a third party dev, yes.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Arkage posted:

Man reading comments from other sites, I really don’t understand the hate boners this game is getting from some people for its graphics. It was a 4 year dev time, a third party dev, the game is absolutely huge, there are a ton of areas with AAA assets everywhere. I’ve been playing on performance mode on a 4K 65” sitting like, 10 feet away, and can barely tell the resolution difference between the two modes compared to the huge disparity between 30 and 60. What the gently caress am I missing?

I dunno, I'm also not that bothered by the image quality on performance mode myself but it is much MUCH cleaner on Graphics mode - I think a lot of the complaints about it are pretty justified, it's not like Square are a plucky little studio here.

The weird low res textures that pop up aren't a big deal imo, I just hope they iron out the upscaling on performance mode and I really think that'll sort 90% of peoples issues.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I had one crash last night that lost me about 30 minutes of progress near the end of Chapter 9. Kind of annoying since some of that was re-sorting my materia after a forced party section. Wish the auto-save was more aggressive (why doesn't it save per sidequest step?) and I think if it'd been an hour+ I would've just closed out the game for the day.

Graphically the game's a little jank if you stare at it too closely but I've never been bothered by that kinda stuff. Outside the crash the game hasn't straight-up broke for me, although a friend of mine has soft-locked a few times. Performance does look really bad, although I play at my PC so being closer than TV watching distance might play into that.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Graphics mode runs like dog poo poo, performance mode runs great and buttery smooth without any FPS drops. Not sure what's "blurry", I can see everything just fine.

I play on a 4k OLED TV.

People that play in graphics mode are insane.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mustang posted:

Not sure what's "blurry"
The 1152p resolution poorly upscaled I posted earlier, quality mode has ~3.5x the resolution

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 5, 2024

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Ah, right, better to play at like 15 fps then!

Graphics mode just runs awful. It's unplayable.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mustang posted:

Ah, right, better to play at like 15 fps then!

Are you actually dumb or do you not know that it's 30 FPS in quality mode?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Runs like poo poo, don't need a number to figure that out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, so I finished the game and used the chapter select to go back to chapter 2 so I could start finishing off side quests/Queen's Blood players, but the map is fogged and the main quest markers are there. Am I going to have to basically New Game+ this to do all the side stuff? My character progress carried over from the end of the game, and looking at the map, it looks like I've already beaten the Queen's Blood players in this area.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mustang posted:

Graphics mode runs like dog poo poo, performance mode runs great and buttery smooth without any FPS drops. Not sure what's "blurry", I can see everything just fine.

I play on a 4k OLED TV.

People that play in graphics mode are insane.

I’m playing on a 65” OLED and I stick to graphics mode because my brain never evolved from playing N64 games.

Performance mode is absolutely blurrier and some of the textures are laughable, but like everyone else is saying, I’ll trade in some graphical jank in exchange for a fun game with a ton of heart.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Graphics mode runs absolutely fine

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

Graphics mode runs absolutely fine

Funny enough it's the only mode with an actually stable framerate, performance mode has quite a few spots where it dips into the 50s, especially anything particle heavy

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Anytime you switch from 60 to 30 it always feels just awful for a while until you adjust to it, no matter how solid the 30fps is held

There's apparently another performance mode patch coming 'soon' also

Hamaguchi posted:

“We’ve received a lot of feedback on whether the graphics in the performance mode will be improved or not,” Hamaguchi told One More Game. “We hear you, and we are currently working on an update patch to improve that aspect. I don’t think the release date would be far away from now. We have [also] heard from players that in certain situations, the facial lighting makes some character shadows look very scary. So that’s one part of the update that we are working on.”

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-7-rebirth-performance-mode-patch-ps5-1851305108

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Rageaholic posted:

Wait, so I finished the game and used the chapter select to go back to chapter 2 so I could start finishing off side quests/Queen's Blood players, but the map is fogged and the main quest markers are there. Am I going to have to basically New Game+ this to do all the side stuff? My character progress carried over from the end of the game, and looking at the map, it looks like I've already beaten the Queen's Blood players in this area.

If you want to finish side quests or other non-story stuff, use chapter select and pick ch13 (keep your quest progress from current save or all saves) to fast travel everywhere.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pennfalath posted:

If you want to finish side quests or other non-story stuff, use chapter select and pick ch13 (keep your quest progress from current save or all saves) to fast travel everywhere.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You know what Rebirth reminds me of? This game feels more like FF15 in that its about some pals on a road trip loving around, and sometimes a melodramatic anime plot that makes no sense happens. The difference here is that Rebirth is actually good.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

big mean giraffe posted:

An appointment with an eye doctor? The performance mode is almost 1/4 the resolution of the quality mode and uses a really poo poo upscaling technique.

*edit* I can make out the clear difference between these at 10' on a 27" computer monitor, there's no way you can't tell on a 65" TV.

I have at least 20/20 thanks to LASIK. I wouldn’t call that the issue.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Arkage posted:

I haven’t followed the discourse at all, but my experience sitting two and a half feet from a 27” 4k/60hz computer monitor is that performance mode looks like absolute poo poo. Like, just a blurry mess. That’s the thing with resolution: different use cases absolutely impact the experience.

Luckily the default quality mode seems to be just fine. I’m typically sensitive to crappy frame rates but the frame pacing seems really good in my time with Rebirth, so :shrug:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I said come in! posted:

You know what Rebirth reminds me of? This game feels more like FF15 in that its about some pals on a road trip loving around, and sometimes a melodramatic anime plot that makes no sense happens. The difference here is that Rebirth is actually good.

Now if only Cloud would use his new camera to take mid-journey snaps automatically.

For all my gripes about 15, the steadily growing photo album was fun and having to look through the entire thing right before the final boss was an extremely cool moment.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I have found Performance mode to be tolerable despite obviously blurry and I hate low framerates more than I hate low resolutions. I would run everything at 720p if it would help the framerate. That's just me though.

The operative part of resolution is the angle formed by the edges of a pixel and your eye. If that angle is less than 0.016°, you can't see it (with 20/20 vision (subject to a million kinds of variance because eyes are bullshit and bodies are diverse)). You can do a lot of math on this but the short version is that on a 55" TV you can't really tell the difference at a glance between 1080p and 4K if you sit farther than about seven feet away, and on a 27" monitor that distance becomes like three feet. Obviously the exact thresholds are vague and variable but that's the principle.

You also sometimes have to know and care what to look for. What bugs you bugs you and what doesn't doesn't. This is why we have the Graphics/Performance toggle.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Also what's a good choice for Moogle Magic?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Fedule posted:

55" TV you can't really tell the difference at a glance between 1080p and 4K if you sit farther than about seven feet away, and on a 27" monitor that distance becomes like three feet. Obviously the exact thresholds are vague and variable but that's the principle.

This idea holds true but your numbers are WAY off. You can demonstrate this yourself quite easily, especially if you live with someone and do a blind test. I can clearly see the difference in the screenshot I posted earlier from 10+' away on a 27" computer monitor.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Can someone who's basically almost to the end say if How Zack and Cloud ended up in a Midgar that already had the main cast of FFVII fighting against Shinra kinda failing at it, since Zack dying and Cloud barely coming out of a coma all happened 3 months before the bombing of Mako Reactor 5? Did they also jump forward in time a bit, along with Biggs just coming from the Remake timeline? The overcomplicated poo poo hurts my brain, and I blame Nomura for making crap unnecessarily complicated

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Also what's a good choice for Moogle Magic?

I stuck with Bahamut Arisen or the final summon you get and it always did great.

Jiro posted:

Can someone who's basically almost to the end say if How Zack and Cloud ended up in a Midgar that already had the main cast of FFVII fighting against Shinra kinda failing at it, since Zack dying and Cloud barely coming out of a coma all happened 3 months before the bombing of Mako Reactor 5? Did they also jump forward in time a bit, along with Biggs just coming from the Remake timeline? The overcomplicated poo poo hurts my brain, and I blame Nomura for making crap unnecessarily complicated

A) Nomura is literally the one who argued they keep it closer to the original. It was the other people on the team who wanted to go more wild.
B) Alternate hosed up timeline.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

big mean giraffe posted:

This idea holds true but your numbers are WAY off. You can demonstrate this yourself quite easily, especially if you live with someone and do a blind test. I can clearly see the difference in the screenshot I posted earlier from 10+' away on a 27" computer monitor.

Okay so I don't wanna argue somebody's experience but like. You know how I said that eyes are bullshit and also the thresholds are vague and variable? This is kind of what I mean, because, of course, if you flipped between the two images, you would notice, they don't become identical. Similarly, the eye can notice details smaller than the acuity range based on things like contrast and movement. This is why you can see dust motes in sunbeams; technically you can't see them but they are so bright you notice the light. Similarly phone screens are crammed full of pixels you can't see because it turns out that when reading things like text with abstract shapes and contrasting edges the eye can notice sharpness way beyond what should be possible on paper. Eyes are bullshit. They don't make any loving sense.

You can do the math and get roughly my numbers. Pixels on a display of known size have a known length and you can use trigonometry to determine how far away your eye has to be to make the angle bigger or smaller than 0.016°. But there's a big difference between the math on paper, a sharp abstract image like text or a GUI, and the chaos of an animated 3D frame, and a still of the same. So there's that. Or maybe you are just built different.

I am not trying to be contradictory here, I just, I find all this fascinating. I'm not here to tell anyone that they're wrong about what they can and can't tell the difference between. I just want to make sure everyone is clear that, as someone said above, specific use cases have a huge impact on graphics even for one person.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lifehack: have vision that's already blurry and play with all the frames.

big mean giraffe posted:

The numbers are fine, it's just that they only really apply to prerendered content on native devices that isn't been upscaled. Games and software that are doing it live is a different story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The graphical things that bug me the most are the lack of interaction with foliage as you run through, and the very close detailed shadow draw distance. The shadow draw distance thing is always a pet peeve of mine.

But like I've posted before, if graphical concessions like these are what it takes to get games like this, I'll happily take that deal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cloud should also be wet when he gets out of water

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

A) Nomura is literally the one who argued they keep it closer to the original. It was the other people on the team who wanted to go more wild.
B) Alternate hosed up timeline.

That explains why Aerith's death* scene literally feels like two different writers trying to write the same scene while fistfighting over who gets to hold the pen between each word :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In case anyone's unaware, there's a spoiler thread if you want to get more in-depth about the story: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054682

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah now that the binge weekend is over my pace is slowing lol... I'm still on the boat

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I lied about Fort Condor being fun. Hard mode is awful. gently caress off and die, “Captain.”

But seriously, I got close the one time and then experienced what I guess the rest of you did, he cast stop on all of my guys and I couldn’t win. You have to stagger your deployments at the end so they don’t just all stand there and die.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or just build a million trebuchets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Yeah just catapult and ballista his stupid rear end