Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

SonOfGhostDad posted:

it just feels so good when the outrage hits the veins

That meme of the kid with the popping forehead vein is how to post in the modern era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Biden's an old guy, why doesn't he eat a meal in a restaurant alone on Tik Tok or tell us to keep away from the Pet Sematary or whatever it is old guys do when they need a popularity boost.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Biden said, 18 years ago, that all he wanted to do was gently caress his wife and hang out with his kids/grandkids and America forced this old man out of retirement and into the worst job in America. Sad!

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Disco Pope posted:

Biden's an old guy, why doesn't he eat a meal in a restaurant alone on Tik Tok or tell us to keep away from the Pet Sematary or whatever it is old guys do when they need a popularity boost.

He bought ice cream alone.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Please, he knows if he tells us to stay away from the Pet Sematary, it's just gonna be zombies as far as the eye can see. Would YOU listen to the president telling you to stay away from a magical cursed burial ground?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Is this good or bad? Florida Dems have been loving up for as long as I can remember.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/...0on%20track.%94

Florida Democrats suspend 3 county chairs in move to get party ‘back on track’

quote:

Florida Democrats on Monday suspended three county chairs, citing repeated violations of party rules and lack of cooperation in a first-of-its kind move as the party is staring down a tough election year in the red-shifting state.

The party suspended Miami-Dade chair Robert Dempster, Palm Beach chair Mindy Koch and Franklin County chair Carol Barfield.

Florida Democratic Party Chair Nikki Fried said in a statement that the move was part of “an overall strategy to get our local parties back on track.” The state party had tried to address issues for a year through an assessment team she created when she got elected about a year ago to lead state Democrats, she said.

“Florida Democrats are serious about creating the infrastructure and party apparatus we need to take back our state, restore our rights and freedoms and reelect Democrats all the way up the ticket,” Fried said. “The country is counting on us.”

Fried also got support from DNC Chair Jaime Harrison, who on Monday posted on X: “ @NikkiFried is focused like a laser and is doing everything & whatever is necessary to help @FlaDems #TakeBackFlorida.”

The state party detailed a slew of complaints for the chairs. It said Franklin County was missing a membership list and audits of finances from 2022 that had been due April 2023. Barfield did not respond to a request for comment.

The party accused Koch of Palm Beach of failing to cancel contracts that weren’t approved by the Democratic executive committee. Koch, in an interview, attributed the issues to division among Democratic members in the county and said she was “gobsmacked” by the decision.

“Just like the rest of the country, Palm Beach County is divided,” she said. “I won by one vote and that wasn’t enough for some people to let me do my job. This is the outgrowth of that decision.”

She said the county had an extremely successful phone banking event during the last two weekends and a successful fundraising event in February with Democratic Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland.

“You can’t disengage me; I’m just a Democrat working hard to engage Democrats,” she said. “I will continue to work hard for those folks.”

The party accused Miami-Dade Democrats of failing to reach a quorum at meetings having outdated membership lists. It also said Miami-Dade needed to show that 90 percent of the district committee positions were filled in order to endorse local candidates, as the county had done.

Dempster argued that other counties had failed to reach quorums but not been suspended, and said the issue of Miami-Dade needing to show a high percentage of committee positions filled was an obscure bylaw that hasn’t historically been enforced. He said he didn’t think the issue of a “minor technicality” rose to the level of forcing out a county chair.

“Nikki Fried is taking a page from Ron DeSantis, using obscure bylaws and minor technicalities to remove officials she doesn’t like when we should instead be focused on winning elections for Democrats,” he said. “It’s especially egregious she is targeting me, a democratically-elected Black party leader in Miami-Dade county, in this climate of rising anti-Blackness in Florida.”

Palm Beach and Miami-Dade Counties have more registered Democratic voters than Republicans, though GOP registrations have been closing the gap. A poll from EMC Research predicted former President Donald Trump would win Miami-Dade in November — something he didn’t do in 2016 and 2020 despite winning Florida overall.

Florida Democrats sent a compliance notice to the chairs in February and then told them they were suspended March 4. The Central Committee, which has 120 members, will next have to vote on formal removal. The meeting for removal hasn’t been scheduled yet, and vice chairs of each county will be in charge until new chairs are elected.

Something’s wrong with the FL Democratic Party, but I don’t know enough to know if these county chairs are the problem, or what the state party is doing is the problem.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

jokes posted:

RE: polls
polls are good and can reveal general trends. but it is completely pointless to treat polls as anything else than a single point of data. it turns out trump's mind boggling sole black holdout in that one poll that repeatedly tested the same folks in the run up was a chilling precursor to his current cult.

but, as someone who used to say trump COULD win and who had people repeatedly scream "SHOW THE MAP!!" as well as "TOXX!!" literally every time the possibility was breached i'm just going to quietly ignore the thread's latest chew toy.
"SHOW THE MAP" they'd scream, "SHOW THE MAP!!" even after the malheur verdict when i was 100% sure trump was going to win

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Harald posted:

We saw this old man eat ice cream alone, you won't believe what happened next.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Harald posted:

In honor of my Lib Daddy, I got ice cream by myself this week. Toffee and coffee. Yum!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

InsertPotPun posted:

"SHOW THE MAP" they'd scream, "SHOW THE MAP!!" even after the malheur verdict when i was 100% sure trump was going to win

tears in their eyes

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Fruity?
Flagellum?
Fuschia?
Fantastic?
Fascist?
Fungus?
Flies?
Fart?
Farfegnugen?

Chickenfucker doesn't start with F

Fart murderer

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

InsertPotPun posted:

polls are good and can reveal general trends. but it is completely pointless to treat polls as anything else than a single point of data. it turns out trump's mind boggling sole black holdout in that one poll that repeatedly tested the same folks in the run up was a chilling precursor to his current cult.

but, as someone who used to say trump COULD win and who had people repeatedly scream "SHOW THE MAP!!" as well as "TOXX!!" literally every time the possibility was breached i'm just going to quietly ignore the thread's latest chew toy.

yeah, i kinda go with news and current events and "vibes" and gut feel and family/friends and polls to supliment. and so far, i dont have the "oh poo poo bidens hosed" yet. can he loses, absolutly, but i think trump lost a ton of soft support plus the indies and moderates and suburbs. I think biden loses if he fucks up campaigning and makea bunch of clinton type mistakes like not running hard in michigan or PA or etc. Trumps path to victory is broadening his base and bringing back the suburbs, if he can get the fence sitter party on board he can win. the issue is fence sitting part are big decorum types so yeah, probably not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Is this good or bad? Florida Dems have been loving up for as long as I can remember.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/...0on%20track.%94

Florida Democrats suspend 3 county chairs in move to get party ‘back on track’

Something’s wrong with the FL Democratic Party, but I don’t know enough to know if these county chairs are the problem, or what the state party is doing is the problem.

The old guard is the reason that they chose to run a republican and a cop against desantis and rubio in 2022. Nikki was put in charge after that, and she’s actually trying to do something different.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

another defense lawyer wants to say Bradley told them all about the Willis/Wade relationship

I don't know why they think this will make anything Bradley said any more credible

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Jeeeeesus Christ

This must be that beloved "office culture" we all hear managers touting as an explanation to why we need to return to offices

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Impartial witness, lawyer for the defence.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

kazil posted:

another defense lawyer wants to say Bradley told them all about the Willis/Wade relationship

I don't know why they think this will make anything Bradley said any more credible

lol. if it was a different witnisses it might work but at this point its just a weird game of telephone with a guy who basicaly admited he didnt know dick on the stand.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Jeeeeesus Christ

Or, and bear with me here on this one, Occam's razor might indicate that he's a dipshit.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol. if it was a different witnisses it might work but at this point its just a weird game of telephone with a guy who basicaly admited he didnt know dick on the stand.

there's no way someone would spread gossip to TWO people

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kazil posted:

Isn't "So-and-so told me about Jim-bob" hear-say and not generally admissible in court?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

kazil posted:

Not a lawyer, but this seems like textbook hearsay. A witness wants to testify that Bradley told him poo poo that Bradley himself refuses to testify to under oath. Seems like “one weird trick” style lawyering.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

nothing scares conservatives more than women voting for anyone. you just say women voting and they know they aren't voting for their bullshit.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Super Tuesday shenanigans?

https://twitter.com/David_Leavitt/status/1765046534196826431

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

honestly on the election stuff, i think Post-convention head-to-head is going to be a real problem for Trump. There are so many clips of him owning deeply unpopular policies like Dobbs and the demise of the immigration bill. That's going to be squarely in front of everyone and Haley won't be around to distract the media anymore. He'll get hammered in debates, Biden will be paying for ads that are just him saying things people hate. There's a lot of noise in polls this far out.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Yeah that's pretty sus.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Thank god Something Awful is still up to carry the torch.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
How would I know to vote if my thermostat didn't tell me to.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Is that why my internet stopped working at like 1AM last night

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I just left a hipster coffee shop and you won't believe the shocking information I overheard people saying about when Willis and Wade started their relationship...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
pretty soon, or right now I assume, we'll have AI bots just crashing the gently caress out of the internet at large constantly. it's gonna be really something.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Super Tuesday shenanigans?

"They"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kazil posted:

"Your honor, we'd like to admit hearsay and rumor as evidence that our only witness was lying when he blew up our case."

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Toxic Mental posted:

Is that why my internet stopped working at like 1AM last night

What time zone? I got an alert that my NAS when offline at 1:50AM, I don't ever remembering getting such a notice and we have had internet outages before.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The Locator posted:

Isn't "So-and-so told me about Jim-bob" hear-say and not generally admissible in court?

Kinda, but there's a ton of exceptions, depending on what it is you are trying to demonstrate.

E.g. Perhaps this new witness was told by Bradley how he came to know of the affair, which would not be enough to DQ Willis. But it could cast doubt on Bradley's "I was just speculating" statement, which was the most disastrous part of his testimony for the defense.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Disco Pope posted:

Thank god Something Awful is still up to carry the torch.

The Man: "Something Whoful?"

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

kw0134 posted:

Polls have problems and it's not a conspiracy when you have an obvious selection issue with whom you are reaching, but you don't really have a better methodology. Like this is a doctoral thesis level problem, how can you be sure you can:

1. Reach a representative sample;
2. Get truthful answers;
3. Detect bias in either the way you conduct your poll or from how your respondents answer;
4. Correct for over/under-representation accurately;

with today's population? You go out to take measurements with your rubbery yardstick and get questionable results, but your other tools are likely no better. But you feel compelled to take the measurements anyway because that's what you do.

if ur actually interested in survey methods id suggest https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-1-4614-3876-2 for the basics which will cover most of ur questions. this is in fact a thing that people write books about and have done so for a very long time.

these issues are not actually that complicated until you get into the weeds, and i dont think the issues that you bring up have changed enough in ways that would matter for you since this book was published.

reaching a representative sample is not hard, it can be expensive though
tests for truthful answers are something you can put tests in for, but that can also increase cost
bias is something that a good survey is careful about, and there are standard ways to deal with it. biases are actually not even always a problem if the bias is known and measurable.
weighting isnt hard, particularly if you're looking for a nationally representative sample and aren't doing more in depth tests of things

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Is this even really happening? YouTube seems fine and I don’t use any of the others.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Is this even really happening? YouTube seems fine and I don’t use any of the others.

Calling it a cyber-attack is a bit premature, but the outage is very real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Insta has been fucky with me today, for sure.