Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

he’s just acting like a big baby. it’s tit-for-tat. to really pean into toxic masculinity he’d have to smash the sink and break it more before storming out in a fit of rage in a fit of rage while being unable to articulate what has hurt his feelings, but this guy is SO in touch with his feelings that he is able to hurt her in the basically the same way. that’s a big baby rear end in a top hat imo.

also interested to know if FIL has actually offered useful tips in the past or just comes over and “signs off’ on his work, that could quickly get frustrating. if FIL has fixed husbands work that would have burned the house down in the past, sure, but if he’s doing basic home repairs fine and she still calls for an inspection every time after being told why it bothers him, she’s an rear end in a top hat.

nah his wife sounds annoying as gently caress tbh. also what the gently caress does an engineer know about plumbing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Is this the thread's second banana bread argument or can we consider this a natural extension of the last one?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Desert Bus posted:

Is this the thread's second banana bread argument or can we consider this a natural extension of the last one?

You gotta give us credit for not being as weird as the internet at large was about taking some chili to your neighbors

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Desert Bus posted:

It's definitely more of a Banana Bread Argument v1.1
Newest patch added allergy modifiers!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

8one6 posted:

Hold on, I found a version of the story from a universe where the OP wasn't a dense moron.

"... So I met a woman at the gym, turns out we work at the same place. We have enough in common that we eat lunch together. She surprised me at my desk one day with banana bread. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of banana bread, but I like her so I accepted it and tried some...

...Yeah, it was a small lie at the time, but ever since we got married it's become a cute joke between the two of us. The top layer of our wedding cake was banana bread...

... Six years this August... "

agreed, stupid chads don't deserve banana bread. she should have made some for the nicest guy in the office: me

mystes
May 31, 2006

selec posted:

I’d take the fuckin bread, try a slice if I like banana bread, and pass it along if I don’t. Why are the stake so high? Its bread!
Perhaps it would have been less weird if she had just brought banana bread to lunch and offered him a slice rather than finding his desk and showing up to say "I baked you a whole unsolicited loaf of banana bread"?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What if he's just not interested in her or the banana bread?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Malachite_Dragon posted:

How many loving teapots does one person need

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

mystes posted:

Perhaps it would have been less weird if she had just brought banana bread to lunch and offered him a slice rather than finding his desk and showing up to say "I baked you a whole unsolicited loaf of banana bread"?

Not sure if you've ever baked banana bread but it's a LOT easier to whip up 3-4 loaves than just one. Having excess banana/zucchini/pumpkin/etc. bread is very normal.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also, if he had already inadvertently given her the impression that he was flirting with her, she was probably going to be unhappy regardless, so maybe it's better that she's pissed just at him now for not accepting the banana bread rather than being more upset later

Desert Bus posted:

Not sure if you've ever baked banana bread but it's a LOT easier to whip up 3-4 loaves than just one. Having excess banana/zucchini/pumpkin/etc. bread is very normal.
If you just have extra something and offer it to someone being like "I don't know if you like banana bread but I baked extra; do you want it?" you don't usually get pissed when the person doesn't accept it; in that case she would probably just ask other people or leave it out with a note telling people to feel free to take a slice.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Absolutely a crime that there's no clips of Carol's sharing banana bread with her coworker fantasies from Carol vs The End of the World.

Death by Banana Bread. Let's get that on t-shirts!!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Seems like an ESH situation. I hope they end up together so neither of them can recreate this with or near me.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Absolutely a crime that there's no clips of Carol's sharing banana bread with her coworker fantasies from Carol vs The End of the World.

Death by Banana Bread. Let's get that on t-shirts!!

I bounced off that show hard about an episode and a half in. Was I too hasty in giving up? Does it get better? Is it maybe just not a show for me?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Some truly bozo-tier opinions on display here, we got both "coworker is being nice, she DEFINITELY wants to gently caress you" and "you are socially obligated to eat everything put before you, like the hog that you are". Incredible work, everyone.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Desert Bus posted:

I bounced off that show hard about an episode and a half in. Was I too hasty in giving up? Does it get better? Is it maybe just not a show for me?

It gets much better, I kinda think it should've been like 4x long episodes but people don't expect prestige TV lengths from cartoons so ofc not.

She ends up getting a job at a corporation called The Distraction and spends her remaining time figuring out how to get to know her coworkers. There's a whole episode about banana bread building bridges. But her expectations vs reality are very different.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 5, 2024

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It gets much better, I kinda think it should've been like 4x long episodes but people don't expect prestige TV lengths from cartoons so ofc not.

She ends up getting a job at a corporation called The Distraction and spends her remaining time figuring out how to get to know her coworkers. There's a whole episode about banana bread building bridges. But her expectations vs reality are very different.

Thanks! I'll give it a second go. Much appreciated.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

bozo-tier opinions on display here

Weird to start your post with your signature (no one said they had to eat all the bread, you just take it and throw it away or something instead of being an antisocial weirdo who can't accept a gift from a nice coworker or properly navigate a social situation)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It sounds like he navigated it fine. She's no longer bothering him and will hopefully give the banana bread to someone who likes banana bread.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

"you are socially obligated to eat everything put before you, like the hog that you are"

lmao just lmao if you think this isn't true

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

It sounds like he navigated it fine. She's no longer bothering him and will hopefully give the banana bread to someone who likes banana bread.

Only goons would think being rude and standoffish to a coworker who was your friend and being called an rear end in a top hat is successfully navigating social situations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A banana bread truck ran over my family, you insensitive clod :negative:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

If someone tried to force me to eat food I didn't like, they're truly no friend of mine.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

If someone tried to force me to eat food I didn't like, they're truly no friend of mine.

Weird gimmick to stick to in the relationships thread, hella ironic

Captain Hygiene posted:

A banana bread truck ran over my family, you insensitive clod :negative:

Yeah well a crab ran over my bread so who's a jerk now

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

How about more inheritance drama?

AITA for not disclosing my will?

quote:

I (58m) was recently diagnosed with a terminal condition. Won’t get into details, but it was the classical “went in with a paper cut, got out with AIDSCancer2000” situation. I’ve got roughly a year and a half left.

Over time, I’ve made a bunch of unwise decisions. I have multiple children with different women. I have three sons: Lance (43m) who has two daughters, Mark (22m) and Tony (15m). And four daughters: Cammy (38f) who has four children, Linda (30f), Ronny (28f) and Kathie (24f).

Not going to lie here, I’ll just say that I was only involved in raising Ronny and Kathie. Their mom died when they were little and I couldn’t refuse to take them in. Ronny is starting her career in law and Kathie recently got her degree in agriculture. 9 years ago I also took in Mark, who was kicked out by his lovely stepdad. Mark decided against pursuing higher education.

I own a ranch. It’s not a little one, though, but we’re managing just fine with the help of hired staff. We have about 500 heads of cattle, not counting the horses. The ranch has been in my family for generations. I know for certain that the only children who would be interested in preserving the ranch are Kathie and Mark. Maybe it’s just my delusion grandeur, but I’m very passionate about passing the ranch down to my children, so they’ll be able to continue the family tradition.

Knowing my children and knowing that they probably inherited my “amazing” personality, I can say for sure that the second I draw my last breath, there will be an inheritance war vicious enough to make Middle East and Eastern Europe seem like a recess fight in kindergarten. It will be nasty, painful and disgusting.

I wrote a will. As per my will, the ranch will go to Kathie and Mark 50:50. Including all the machines, trucks, other equipment, financial assets. Ronny, the executor of the will, is getting my 1970s Lincoln Continental. She’s the one who’s driving this car for the last 5 years and she’s the one paying for maintenance, insurance, everything. The other children get $10k each and Tony gets my car, a 2010s Chevy Suburban, purely because it’s a safe car and he’s getting his license this year. The grandkids also get $5k each. It’s not much, but I don’t own much either.

I’ve notified my children that I don’t have much time left. Of course they asked to see the will. I know that the second they see it, the poo poo will hit the fan and things will escalate. I don’t want it. I don’t want to spend my final year seeing my children suffer and fight. Ronnie advised me agains disclosing the will, she’s a skilled lawyer so I trust her completely. I refused to disclose the will and now my children are enraged. They keep speculating about the will, they keep pestering me and giving advice on what should I leave to whom. Am I the rear end in a top hat for refusing to disclose the contents of my will? By now, the only ones who know about them are me and Ronnie and I intend to keep it this way.

Obviously people can leave their poo poo to whoever they want to, but lol at OP for valuing his family legacy so highly while he neglected the kids who had any other caregivers. Oh, the children you were forced to take in are the only ones who care about preserving your traditions? How shocking!

Of course leaving the business 50/50 is probably going to destroy it anyway the first time those siblings disagree, even assuming that one or both of them aren't quietly planning to sell as soon as possible.

mystes
May 31, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Only goons would think being rude and standoffish to a coworker who was your friend and being called an rear end in a top hat is successfully navigating social situations.
Do you think that the coworker who spent hours (according to her) making banana bread with no idea whether he likes banana bread, tracked down his desk, and showed up and tried to give it to him, and then got mad when he said he doesn't like banana bread because he had spent hours making it is "successfully navigating social situations"?

All she would have done to make this not weird would have been to tell him the day before at lunch "I'm going to bake a bunch of loaves of banana bread tonight; do you want one?" instead of freaking out when she suddenly showed up to give him an unsolicited gift and he declined because he doesn't like banana bread.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 5, 2024

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yes asking where someone's desk is and making them a gift is a normal thing people do for friends I can't believe I have to explain this to adults.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It doesn't take hours to make banana bread.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

It doesn't take hours to make banana bread.
He should have pointed out that she must not be very good at baking if it took her hours

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Do you think that the coworker who spent hours (according to her) making banana bread with no idea whether he likes banana bread, tracked down his desk, and showed up and tried to give it to him, and then got mad when he said he doesn't like banana bread because he had spent hours making it is "successfully navigating social situations"?

All she would have done to make this not weird would have been to tell him the day before at lunch "I'm going to bake a bunch of loaves of banana bread tonight; do you want one?" instead of freaking out when she suddenly showed up to give him an unsolicited gift and he declined because he doesn't like banana bread.

Yeah, she didn't really do anything wrong other than fail to hide her disgust at this guy. She obviously likes him and he hurt her, so she got mad.
Honestly, calling this guy out, to me, is perfectly fine. She would also be fine to just walk away realizing she dodged a tactless bullet.

What grown rear end person doesn't know how to graciously accept a gift they do not like.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

What kind of total fuckin coward deliberately sets up a big inheritance fight and then doesn't even do the big reveal while they're still around to spectate like that one nutjob grandpa

mystes
May 31, 2006

DangerDongs posted:

Yeah, she didn't really do anything wrong other than fail to hide her disgust at this guy. She obviously likes him and he hurt her, so she got mad.
Honestly, calling this guy out, to me, is perfectly fine. She would also be fine to just walk away realizing she dodged a tactless bullet.

What grown rear end person doesn't know how to graciously accept a gift they do not like.
If it was me I would have accepted it unless I was like allergic or something but I also would not have baked something for someone with no warning unless I thought they specifically liked that thing, and I would not try to force it on them in a way that put pressure on them to accept.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It’s actually presumptuous and ableist to make food for other people unsolicited, hth

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

If it was me I would have accepted it unless I was like allergic or something but I also would not have baked something for someone with no warning unless I thought they specifically liked that thing, and I would not try to force it on them in a way that put pressure on them to accept.

Congrats on never figuring out that people like surprises and free things I guess.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Also, depending on where you work, calling someone an rear end in a top hat because they politely turned down an unsolicited gift is something a manager and/or HR would want to know about.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It’s actually presumptuous and ableist to make food for other people unsolicited, hth

now we're cooking with gas

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

DangerDongs posted:

Congrats on never figuring out that people like surprises and free things I guess.

I hate surprises

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Nobody is even asking the important question: did the banana bread have nuts in it?

If it did, he was right to refuse it because it was garbage. If it did not, he should have accepted it due to its inherent quality.

Then he should have put peanut butter on it because it is both logically inconsistent and loving delicious.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

If the OP's post had been about how he sat with this lady once at lunch, but then decided he didn't have a fun time conversing but she kept sitting with him and how he was trying to get away from her, and then she showed up at his desk with unwanted baked goods, I'd have more sympathy. But he sat with her and they continued chatting every day at lunch and by all accounts she probably started to consider him a friend, and he doesn't sound like he was creeped out by her or anything.

So she's happy she made a friend at work and went and made some banana bread (which, yeah, doesn't take hours to make lol). I think he could have probably handled it better by accepting it graciously and then giving it away to some coworkers or something. She probably could have handed it over to him at lunch (although they work at the same company so I don't think it's that weird that she found his desk to make a cute surprise or whatever).

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Gift-giving is an act of aggression, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulthar
Aug 14, 2007

My parents are deeaaaaaaad!!!
Hell yeah let’s bring the Twitter chili discourse to the thread