Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hughmoris posted:

"Nothing never works, all the time!"

60% of the time, it fails every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Outlook updated, and I seem to be unable to do anything with XML files. No preview in Outlook, no option to view in a different program, no download. I was able to revert and submit feedback, but really Microsoft you missed that functionality?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

^^ oh no, friend, you weren't fooled into clicking the "try the new Outlook" slider at the top right, were you? Click that poo poo back ASAP. New Teams? Bueno. New Outlook? Dumpsterfire.

Generic Monk posted:

is there a loving wiki in teams???? are you joking?

He's not joking! It's about as trash as you'd expect!

edit: and I LIKE (new) Teams

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 28, 2024

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

SyNack Sassimov posted:

^^ oh no, friend, you weren't fooled into clicking the "try the new Outlook" slider at the top right, were you? Click that poo poo back ASAP. New Teams? Bueno. New Outlook? Dumpsterfire.

He's not joking! It's about as trash as you'd expect!

edit: and I LIKE (new) Teams

Did it while I was making the post.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I got tricked into trying The New Outlook a while back, and at the time it handled previewing attachments by uploading them to your OneDrive and then loading an embedded browser to look at them. Yeah sure just copy all my email attachments into some cloud storage why don't you, sounds like a good idea to me.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Maigius posted:

Outlook updated, and I seem to be unable to do anything with XML files. No preview in Outlook, no option to view in a different program, no download. I was able to revert and submit feedback, but really Microsoft you missed that functionality?

Had someone at my job swap to new outlook & it broke their functionality for even downloading certain files or saving entire emails :lol: even better that M$ put up a message literally saying “we haven’t implemented this feature yet” jfc

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Generic Monk posted:

e: the sharepoint online stuff in the browser i’m kind of coming round to; it’s almost preferable to having a bunch of weird special subfolders in onedrive for which editing stuff in the desktop office apps may or may not destroy all your work when it has a paddy. it’s nice to have that stuff bookmarked in your browser, especially in my company where no one knows where anything is.

i’ve never been able to understand why anyone would ever want to edit anything inside teams tho. the world’s most mediocre chat app becoming the world’s worst spreadsheet experience

Idk if it's in the new teams but you used to be able to build a wiki in a team - you'd add a Wiki tab, you can chat in it, it's not terrible but the question is who the gently caress would use a wiki in a team, people already don't even read basic documents

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Generic Monk posted:

e: the sharepoint online stuff in the browser i’m kind of coming round to; it’s almost preferable to having a bunch of weird special subfolders in onedrive for which editing stuff in the desktop office apps may or may not destroy all your work when it has a paddy. it’s nice to have that stuff bookmarked in your browser, especially in my company where no one knows where anything is.

i’ve never been able to understand why anyone would ever want to edit anything inside teams tho. the world’s most mediocre chat app becoming the world’s worst spreadsheet experience
Hey just so you know, if you work with a whole bunch of inexplicably uncooperative Irish people I've hilighted the reason why for you.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Cattle not pets. Reimage that POS.

There are times that fails. At a past job one of my minions reimaged the same laptop three times and then submitted it for ewaste because it "just won't boot."

BIOS, RAID -> AHCI, and hey look, the "trash" laptop is working.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 20, 2024

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

There are times that fails. At a past job one of my minions reimaged the same laptop three times and then submitted it for ewaste because it "just won't boot."

BIOS, SATA -> AHCI, and hey look, the "trash" laptop is working.

I remember when the opposite was true back in (I think) the XP days, where you had to set it to Compatibility to use/detect an SSD

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

compatibility mode was only necessary if you didnt have the controller drivers

xp had a spot during the install process to install them

windows will also (obviously) poo poo a brick if you change the mode post-installation

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Hey just so you know, if you work with a whole bunch of inexplicably uncooperative Irish people I've hilighted the reason why for you.

lol is that a slur? i’ve never actually said it out loud, but come to think of it the only people i’ve heard actually saying it were at work and english as gently caress. the more you know

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

it's a slur for irish people but it's also a common word? like rice paddy

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I get that it's slang that I'm not familiar with, but is it essentially "has a fit" in this context? Because if so, yeah...

Thanks for calling that out. Good for folks to get a chance to learn. :thanks:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I assumed it was just short for "padlock" which would be an indication that the file is locked for editing (by someone else) but I don't use Sharepoint to know if that's even a capability it has.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's slang for Irishman but also means tantrum. It's unclear whether that meaning had it's basis in people considering it a slur and comparing someone having a tantrum to an Irish person (though considering it's English it's more than likely this is the intention), a brief search doesn't confirm or refute that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh yeah, I never heard it before a Welsh co-worker was complaining about our mutual boss throwing a tantrum. It suddenly clicked why he kept complaining that he hated spending time in the Cork office because nobody office liked him it made his job as project manager extrea difficult with people simpy not bothering to do stuff or tell him about anything. It's just baked into British culture that the Irish and Scottish are irrationally angry about something all the time so nobody notices just how deeply ingrained it is. Poor dude was actually a really nice guy, but those bridges were burned instantly.

ETA: you'll get better results googling "throw a paddy" BTW.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Last week while I was on PTO my boss reassigned to me an RCA he caught from when some poo poo went down last year when I was on paternity leave.

It’s a particularly stupid one (root cause: the evil that lurks in the heart of men), sigh, I can handle it but c’mon boss, what are you even bringing to the table here.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What is it with NY based companies and in-office requirements?

I had 3 different job interviews this week that all came to a screeching halt when they were like "oh by the way, you have to move to manhattan and be in the office 3 days a week."

You're on crack if you think I'm doing that for anything that won't suddenly make me a multi-millionaire.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KillHour posted:

What is it with NY based companies and in-office requirements?

The people that own the company also have investments in real estate.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

tactlessbastard posted:

It’s a particularly stupid one (root cause: the evil that lurks in the heart of men)

Only The Shadow knows!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

RadicalR posted:

Only The Shadow knows!

Now does he slam that evil or am I thinking of the Phantom?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Fil5000 posted:

Now does he slam that evil or am I thinking of the Phantom?

(I unironically love this move so much)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I always have time for Billy Zane.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Fil5000 posted:

I always have time for Billy Zane.

I was in a highschool fan club called The Zaniacs

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: M365 support called me back regarding my ticket. At 3:30AM on a Saturday morning. Yes I made sure to put down the time zone when making the ticket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Convinced they just phone up to get their stats up, it's happened every time to me even when I specify email as the contact method and all the information that could be needed is in the opening request.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

klosterdev posted:

Pissing me off: M365 support called me back regarding my ticket. At 3:30AM on a Saturday morning. Yes I made sure to put down the time zone when making the ticket.
Been having this issue. One of my staff could only find a window like 6-7 AM to overlap with the person assigned our ticket.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The stories I could tell, if not for an NDA.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sirotan posted:

(I unironically love this move so much)

I have to rep the Phantom 2040 animated series. It's set in a cyberpunk hellscape where the CEO of one of the companies that profited the most from destroying the environment is preparing to hole up in a secure domed compound until everyone else dies off. Great action, great voice cast, goes completely over the top and plays it straight. Character designs from the artist that did Aeon Flux's designs. All on YouTube in good quality.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgkKj2n1LjA_VzcrpMQ8l_NszGmxAA1d0

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

mllaneza posted:

I have to rep the Phantom 2040 animated series. It's set in a cyberpunk hellscape where the CEO of one of the companies that profited the most from destroying the environment is preparing to hole up in a secure domed compound until everyone else dies off. Great action, great voice cast, goes completely over the top and plays it straight. Character designs from the artist that did Aeon Flux's designs. All on YouTube in good quality.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgkKj2n1LjA_VzcrpMQ8l_NszGmxAA1d0

It always amazes me that this got made at all, but I'm glad it did. Graft's backstory episode had a bit in it that absolutely scared the poo poo out of me as a kid, and they did a good job humanising most of the villains in a way most cartoons didn't bother doing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fil5000 posted:

It always amazes me that this got made at all, but I'm glad it did. Graft's backstory episode had a bit in it that absolutely scared the poo poo out of me as a kid, and they did a good job humanising most of the villains in a way most cartoons didn't bother doing.
Yeah I really do not get why they were allowed air that in the timeslot they were. It definitely left quite the impression on us.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I mentioned I was working on a laptop for a client like a month ago. It's kind of a garbage laptop by specs, but HP made it kind of unique to compete with apple (I guess) so it's super slim and the outer shell is leather. It's kind of meant to be a premium laptop but it's not made to be repaired.

This guy, HP Spectre Folio 13 with an i7-8500Y, 8GB soldered RAM, and a 256GB NMVe SSD you have to disassemble the entire thing to get to:

So I did what the client asked, I replaced the original SSD which had failed, but it didn't see the new SSD in the BIOS or in the windows installer. I took it apart again, broke a connector, resoldered it, wiggled the disk, put it back together, but no change. It seems like whatever happened to the laptop's SSD killed something on the pci-e bus. To troubleshoot further I bought a used one on ebay for $280. That one had had its screen replaced (poorly) before and there were a lot of gouges around the bezel and stuff, and it was sold as "touch doesn't work". I took the ebay one apart, assuming that someone had forgotten to plug in the new screen when they put it in. But no, internally it was fine aside from a couple of stripped screws. It also had a different daughter board behind the screen that housed a LTE WWAN modem.

The mainboard from the ebay laptop in the client's laptop worked normally but somehow the touchscreen problem moved over with the mainboard. So now we have two laptops that had one component die and somehow kill the associated controller part on the mainboard. As a last ditch effort I put the WWAN daughterboard in the client's laptop and tried using it with a B Key M.2 SSD just in case that would get the original laptop working with any kind of disk, but no. As far as I can tell, the only option is to get a new mainboard for a five year old laptop. The cheapest "new-ish" ones are from aliexpress for like $360. US shops have them in stock for $699. Given that the i7-8500Y in this laptop is a lot worse than the same generation i5-8250U in my HP elitebook (the i7 is a dual core 5W TDP chip, i5 is a quad core), I think the only reason they built it like this was because there's no fans and it gets hot. That honestly may explain some of the problems it had, maybe it cooked its own components.

I've told the client that the mainboard is damaged and a replacement is really the only course forward and they asked me if I thought it was worth replacing and I said no. Unless they're in love with the leather folio construction that as far as I know is unique to this laptop, then it would be silly to put like $500 of parts (not including labor) into an 8th gen laptop. Newer, faster machines will start around that price. I'm going to end up with this extra one from ebay unless I feel like trying to flip it but it's a real let down. I'm just venting really, but I hate not being able to fix something like this. If it was a desktop we could get an 8th gen motherboard on ebay for $50 or something.

edit: to HP's credit, there's full videos on disassembly and replacement of parts on YouTube which is fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1LsLwjvyHElZ3Pc6PzeHB6PZqA_gJ4lH

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 5, 2024

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Maigius posted:

A year or two ago, I wrote an API that would be interfaced with a RPG program running on an AS/400. I made sure to have error messaging for any error case. Unfortunately, the RPG programmer didn't take that into account, so if the process failed, a vague email is sent. Even dumping the raw json, my process returns if there's an error would be better. Luckily it only failed twice so far, but since I have to figure out what went wrong I wish the other programmer put more effort in.

It happened again. The RPG programmer seems completely ignorant on the error list, so I dropped the fact it exists in the email to multiple people. I took the time to make a well documented API, and the other programmer isn't using the error messaging I created to help explain things

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

RadicalR posted:

Only The Shadow knows!

If The Shadow has a better explanation for 'the auditor found something dirty because the guy responsible for cleaning it, forgot it', I'm all ears

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I just bought a new laptop for personal use. Does "soldered RAM" mean I can't expand it? Or just that I can't replace it?

vv thanks!

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 6, 2024

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I just bought a new laptop for personal use. Does "soldered RAM" mean I can't expand it? Or just that I can't replace it?

It depends. It basically means that some or all of the ram that came with the laptop is soldered to the mainboard and can't be replaced. Sometimes they include a secondary sodimm slot for expansion but sometimes not. If it's super thin then it's more likely to forgo the extra ram slot for compactness. You may be stuck with what's there but just googling for your model number and ram upgrade should tell you for sure. Some laptops have like 8GB soldered in and one slot for more, some (like the one I was just complaining about) don't have any slots for more, you just use it as it is. Sometimes it can be beneficial to match the soldered in ram with a second stick for dual channel, sometimes it's not possible.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Exactly what Rexxed said, and additionally the thinner the device is the less user serviceable it's going to be, when you look for new stuff in the future.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Banking nightmares: My fraud department continues to be exceptionally useless at their job and requires me to do it for them :fuckoff:

I can usually just sit on my hands until the complete their part, but legal needed me to do everything in this case so that they could deal with some fallout. I like the legal team though, they're nice to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Have a request to go install our "new" wireless at a branch. We are moving from an Aruba environment to Meraki and its working well. This was already a site I was planning on doing this at. But the reason for the the best. A person there is on constant Teams meetings and has used up his data plan while connecting on his iPad.
So, he has a company laptop that runs Teams fine. But he doesn't want to run it on his laptop. So he uses his ipad that has a company intune managed Teams install on. Also fine, lots of people prefer it. But he doesn't explain why he doesn't use the existing wireless at this location.
I don't understand our users.