Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
So is Paul 1/5 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hell yeah

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://x.com/realjaredgilman/status/1764751068242567625

Dune marketing not afraid to just be kinda weirdly horny.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
look, they read the books. even the later books. they know whats up

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That’d definitely be a way to get me back in a theatre

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I can’t stop thinking that the shock of that little twink taking over the empire could have been HUGE with better casting. The humiliation of Arnold or Clint or even Dinero or Harvey Kaitel kissing the ring would have been so much more powerful than a barely ambulatory Walken. Insert Walken ambulatory joke.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
That was a pretty good movie. Glad I saw it in a theater and I almost never go out to see them. The sound really added to it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
was listening to the Dune audiobook just now and I'm pretty sure that Baron Harkonnen is Dagoth Ur.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Remulak posted:

I can’t stop thinking that the shock of that little twink taking over the empire could have been HUGE with better casting. The humiliation of Arnold or Clint or even Dinero or Harvey Kaitel kissing the ring would have been so much more powerful than a barely ambulatory Walken. Insert Walken ambulatory joke.

Robert Dinero

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Why did the Harko soldiers keep offering Rabban advice, when it invariably resulted in him snapping their necks? Is the officer-murder a recent thing caused by the stress of the war, and he'd been an okay boss til then?
Also the new "Worst non-harem-related Dune Job" Award goes to the harkonnen navigator who gets lenses glued to his face, or the harkonnen monks (?) who have to keep chanting (?) to make their war-room hologram map work (?)

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

Why did the Harko soldiers keep offering Rabban advice, when it invariably resulted in him snapping their necks? Is the officer-murder a recent thing caused by the stress of the war, and he'd been an okay boss til then?
Also the new "Worst non-harem-related Dune Job" Award goes to the harkonnen navigator who gets lenses glued to his face, or the harkonnen monks (?) who have to keep chanting (?) to make their war-room hologram map work (?)

You should see the guys who didn't help him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That Harkonnen flight officer guy's helmet thingy gave me XCOM 2 vibes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do wish we got to see more of the inside of the sietches.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I wish we could smell them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
watch it in 4dx then

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I wish we could smell them.

I did. Vaguely menthol.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

the harkonnen monks (?) who have to keep chanting (?) to make their war-room hologram map work (?)

For a moment when that scene came on, I thought we were finally getting to see guild navigation at work. At least some lower ranking navigators that hadn’t fully mutated yet, or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched it in Ultra AVX so there shouldn't have been any of the olfactory senses from a 4DX setup but I did smell menthol. I thought it was just the old couple sitting next to us.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:yeshaha:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I smelt burned toast through most of mopie.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

"Came in a Fremen"

what

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Fenring can't use the Voice? Does being a genetic eunuch make his pitch too high or something?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

He sounds like jay leno.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

"Came in a Fremen"

what

this is a snowclone-style thing. original was a yudkowsky cultist's orgy that she made the chart of

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Toxic Mental posted:

"Came in a Fremen"

what

This probably got made in reference to this thing that went viral on twitter, where someone took a chart from a very different thing and used it to describe trying to get VC funding, leaving in some of the original (which other people missed before sharing)...

https://x.com/anothercohen/status/1764709396792091047?s=20

So the original source (from both the VC item and the) is from this :nws: blog post.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

:wtc:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

German publisher Heyne was notorious for putting ads in their books (they lost Terry Pratchett's contract for that). But at a cursory glance I couldn’t find any in the Dune translations I have.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I've watched the miniseries over a half a lifetime ago, both the films and the Lynch version and am listening to the audiobook and I've skimmed a bunch of the ~lore~ so I don't mind spoilers but what is the deal/origin with the Palace/Administration building on Arrakeen? (Do not google this you will be spoiled in a manner you do not expect) Trying to wiki/google this only gets you results for the thing Paul ends up building, but there's something already when the Harkonnens leave and I always got the impression that the Palace was there way before them. I assume bunch of governors held the spot before Harkonnens, I'm gathering it was built by the Empire or the first House to hold the spot or some other more or less native force way back at some point. Has the origin really not been established?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Dessel posted:

I've watched the miniseries over a half a lifetime ago, both the films and the Lynch version and am listening to the audiobook and I've skimmed a bunch of the ~lore~ so I don't mind spoilers but what is the deal/origin with the Palace/Administration building on Arrakeen? (Do not google this you will be spoiled in a manner you do not expect)

Dune is a colonial holding and the palace is where the seat of the colonial government is. The palace doesn't really need an origin it's a just a way of Herbert saying that the offworlders are imperialists who extract spice from Dune.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Also the Dune Encylopedia (published early 80's by Frank Herbert) adds that the wet-plant conservatory was added by a governor at the time for his wife who was homesick for her planet Humidis. :cripes:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I Greyhound posted:

Also the Dune Encylopedia (published early 80's by Frank Herbert) adds that the wet-plant conservatory was added by a governor at the time for his wife who was homesick for her planet Humidis. :cripes:

Strong Star Wars extended universe vibes here

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Later they cloned it and recreated it, calling it Huumidis and Slightly Larger Huumidis

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Humidis, Moist, damp planet.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Presumably Honored Matres settled on a planet they call Bad Puuussy.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Monica Bellucci posted:

Presumably Honored Matres settled on a planet they call Bad Puuussy.

shared universe with GoT??? who's in?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

uber_stoat posted:

Humidis, Moist, damp planet.

My lakes. My Humidis. My swamps.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Strong Star Wars extended universe vibes here

I was going to make a joke about how come there is no in-depth lore about the Palace having been built by people in in brain vats transported by bunch of spider robots.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

kiimo posted:

Later they cloned it and recreated it, calling it Huumidis and Slightly Larger Huumidis

Humideez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Murray Mantoinette posted:

It will be 23 years ago this fall.

that is insane 😳

where does the time go