Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

what made it a nuclear level dunk wasn't the format it was the receipts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He kinda sucked rear end and deserved to have his career ripped out from under him. He wasn’t a thread to society but he was a threat to other YouTubers and artists bc he steals content

He could’ve just done something else because he failed and was a weirdo about it all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i guess its about framing. i dont think mocking him was wrong exactly but theres a lot of points in hbomb's video that felt like they existed to reinforce that hbomb is a better person than somerton. and he is because hes not a serial plagiarist, but still, that isnt the point of this endeavor. its the nature of hbomb turning a serious callout post of a fellow person in the space into entertainment for his audience, i guess.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

He could’ve just done something else because he failed and was a weirdo about it all

Hell, he had multiple chances to course correct even before all this blew up. Like, two or three separate times he almost got nailed to the wall but wriggled out and kept right on doing the same bullshit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drama is entertaining

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sure but turning drama into public entertainment encourages people to take it to weird places.

mystes
May 31, 2006

What Somerton probably needed to do was shut down his patreon, at the very least demonetize his whole channel, make a sincere apology without making any stupid excuses, and stop posting videos for at least 6 months and maybe ever.

He probably wanted to salvage his career as a youtuber, but it was entirely based on plagiarism and there was probably no hope of that, and his awful "apology" videos combined with his immediate attempt to restart his patreon guaranteed that people would be angry at him and made him seem like a pathological liar who feels zero remorse.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

mystes posted:

On the other hand, at the end of the day he was just doing plagiarism, so he's not as bad as someone spewing hate speech or something...

i mean there was all the weird misogyny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly somerton's level of misogyny is completely normal for the queer youtuber space, his only mistake was directing it at a lady who could actually respond to him

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
It other news.

I found this cool YouTube channel where the guy looks at dinosaur toys and explains how they are wrong based on the latest science, then does animation to show what they might look like. Apparently he started doing this on another channel years ago and is uploading his old videos with new commentary and science.
https://www.youtube.com/@YourDinosaursAreWrong/videos
It's pretty fun.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Endorph posted:

i guess its about framing. i dont think mocking him was wrong exactly but theres a lot of points in hbomb's video that felt like they existed to reinforce that hbomb is a better person than somerton. and he is because hes not a serial plagiarist, but still, that isnt the point of this endeavor. its the nature of hbomb turning a serious callout post of a fellow person in the space into entertainment for his audience, i guess.

I understand this sentiment. Ideally, perhaps, it would be an entirely somber endeavor.

But I think that's asking too much of most people. Laughing at assholes is fun.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

its the nature of hbomb turning a serious callout post of a fellow person in the space into entertainment for his audience, i guess.

Yeah it's kind of a hard thing to square particularly when you're doing it to people who exist currently in your same artistic space, like there's no way Hbomberguy didn't realize he was going to cause a shitload of fallout by specifically calling out popular creators like illuminaughtii, IH, and Somerton. In the case of Tommy Tallarico it felt a lot more like a sagas-style shitpost about a more immediately removed guy a lot of people think of as some former industry titan except whoops it turns out he's an insane serial liar who lives in a clown mansion and didn't make nearly as much of the beloved old game music as you think he did.

None of which is to say Hbomb shouldn't have gone forward with the plagiarism video - obviously there was an active injustice happening that needed calling attention to - but I hear you that he does come off as overly self-satisfied at some points.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Skippy McPants posted:

Hbomb even made that point in his original video; about how taking credit for other folk's work was hardly uncommon even before The Money arrived in creative spaces on the internet. Heck, this silly tumblr comic is over a decade old now,

original artist is nedroid btw

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the biggest potential objection is just that what Somerton was doing is extremely common on youtube so maybe he didn't deserve to be singled out so specifically?

But this sort of falls apart when you look at how egregious it was and, again, how he was pretending to be signal boosting marginalized voices.

I guess hbomberguy could have spent less time on him or spent more time on other people who were plagiarizing or something though?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, it is. I'm guilty of it, too. But in an ideal world, I don't think there's any reason Somerton shouldn't be able to apologize, take some time off, and do youtube videos again. Turning it into a global mockfest and gleefully talking about how his career is over, can you blame him for thinking he's hit a dead end? Assuming that post was sincere, anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Endorph posted:

also: guy who complains about capitalism who buys a twitter checkmark is really something

They've also purchased twitter ads to boost their tweets.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Endorph posted:

Yeah, it is. I'm guilty of it, too. But in an ideal world, I don't think there's any reason Somerton shouldn't be able to apologize, take some time off, and do youtube videos again. Turning it into a global mockfest and gleefully talking about how his career is over, can you blame him for thinking he's hit a dead end? Assuming that post was sincere, anyway.
But it's Somerton's own awful attempts to apologize that really guaranteed that his career was permanently over. That makes it pretty hard to feel too sorry for him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sydin posted:

Yeah it's kind of a hard thing to square particularly when you're doing it to people who exist currently in your same artistic space, like there's no way Hbomberguy didn't realize he was going to cause a shitload of fallout by specifically calling out popular creators like illuminaughtii, IH, and Somerton. In the case of Tommy Tallarico it felt a lot more like a sagas-style shitpost about a more immediately removed guy a lot of people think of as some former industry titan except whoops it turns out he's an insane serial liar who lives in a clown mansion and didn't make nearly as much of the beloved old game music as you think he did.

None of which is to say Hbomb shouldn't have gone forward with the plagiarism video - obviously there was an active injustice happening that needed calling attention to - but I hear you that he does come off as overly self-satisfied at some points.
I mean, I think the illuminaughtii thing is a good example. He hits the points, he explains the faults in her videos, he moves on. Compared to a 2 hour long takedown that he presents as a fun surprise where he systemtically tears apart every single thing this guy's ever done, including his personal failings and proof that hes a Bad Person (which, dude is a weirdo sexist, but stick with me for a second), then an outro where he proudly touts his own morals by linking a bunch of other random Queer Youtubers who are the Good Ones and have definitely never done or said anything wrong, ever. the whole vibe's just weird.

mystes posted:

But it's Somerton's own awful attempts to apologize that really guaranteed that his career was permanently over. That makes it pretty hard to feel too sorry for him.
Eh. He didn't do himself any favors, and realistically like I said there's no actual material reason he can't just keep making videos, but even if he had done all the Correct Steps a lot of people would have never forgiven him, not because they felt personally slighted, but because that's the funnier option.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

sure but turning drama into public entertainment encourages people to take it to weird places.

I think there's a catch-22 here because while I agree with this I also think if its not entertaining no one would have watched it and its likely Somerton would have just weathered it like the previous allegations and kept stealing from people.

I don't know what the 'correct' thing to do here was tbh and I think the part of the video where HBomb does get serious and talk about grappling with this is probably the best part of the video. And according to youtube analytics also the part that most people skipped.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

I mean, I think the illuminaughtii thing is a good example. He hits the points, he explains the faults in her videos, he moves on.

He originally had a way more comprehensive takedown of illuminaughtii, including a bunch of delving into the old content mill stuff she did and all the lawsuit/personal drama in his draft videos, but cut it all out for the final version. Presumably to fit more Somerton stuff in instead? So maybe he just needed another editing pass to really focus the Somerton piece down in a similar way, idk.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if youll allow me to be blunt he also just seems much more thrilled to be tearing somerton down than illuminaughtii.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The guy comes back again, and says he’s gonna donate the revenue to hbomb or some charity that hbomb knows and somehow he never talked to hbomb about it before hand? Super shady.

If he reached out to hbomb and was like “this is all I have I want to make things right. You were right and I need to reflect so I’ll donate whatever to whatever”

That would’ve gone a long way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno. all the donation stuff in general just rubs me the wrong way. dude was profiting off bullshit so i get it but at the same time it just turned money into like, a moral power play that everyone involved in the conversation had to throw around, which is kinda weird on a number of levels.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

if youll allow me to be blunt he also just seems much more thrilled to be tearing somerton down than illuminaughtii.

it's more exciting when you can see their face and not an animation of a pyramid with one eye wearing a pullover

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I remember when somerton was posted here for the first time and I watched him talk about queer creators who were edgy and transgressive and I was like okay interesting hearing someone talk about how fun it is to be edgy

And then he said all the cool creative gay people died of aids and I shut it off. Just a very evil take imo

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

his argument seems to be entirely 'capitalism is bad so criticizing this one guy for plagiarism is evil'

Peter Coffin is a roaming stomach parasite who used to run the same leftist youtube circuit, but they were drummed out for being a little weasel who dismisses the rape allegations against friends and whose commitment to leftist stuff is a pretty insincere veil they’re willing to recalibrate for attention.

They’ll occupy whatever space will tolerate them, which has meant drifting into deeper conspiracy fascist-masking as true marxist cliques. They hopped on defending Somerton almost immediately because they’ve got a naked grudge against the “other side” in this, they love negative attention so much they were willing and to kick their own balls on tv, and were probably hoping to get James to come on a podcast and get looped into the Leftist Cancellation grift.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mappo posted:

It other news.

I found this cool YouTube channel where the guy looks at dinosaur toys and explains how they are wrong based on the latest science, then does animation to show what they might look like. Apparently he started doing this on another channel years ago and is uploading his old videos with new commentary and science.
https://www.youtube.com/@YourDinosaursAreWrong/videos
It's pretty fun.

Your Dinosaurs Are Wrong is a wonderful channel.

Another fun paleontology channel is Ben G. Thomas. I've followed his stuff for a few years and I enjoy his retrospectives on the original Walking With Dinosaurs documentary. It's cool to see how far the study of dinosaurs has come in the 25 years since the show aired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StWfrANPRcY

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

iunno. all the donation stuff in general just rubs me the wrong way. dude was profiting off bullshit so i get it but at the same time it just turned money into like, a moral power play that everyone involved in the conversation had to throw around, which is kinda weird on a number of levels.

i mean the basic premise of why the video goes after Somerton as hard as it does is that though. Somerton has been stealing money from other marginalized people by taking their writings and passing them off as his own, including things like incredibly personal experiences which he tweaks to be about himself.

what is the solution here instead? Don't mention it and make bank off your own drama callout of the exact same behavior? I feel like that would have been significantly worse.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CelticPredator posted:

I remember when somerton was posted here for the first time and I watched him talk about queer creators who were edgy and transgressive and I was like okay interesting hearing someone talk about how fun it is to be edgy

And then he said all the cool creative gay people died of aids and I shut it off. Just a very evil take imo

i just remember the position that hazbin hotel was like the successor to queer transgressive art in the tradition of john waters, and robert mapplethorpe , and not the successor to invader zim

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not the successor to invader Zim.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I do think that there’s something to be said about HBomb’s video growing legs way way beyond his normal fanbase and getting almost 20 million views to date, largely in spaces that historically don’t give a poo poo about queer people or queer creators and which are often in fact hostile to said people.

For better and (mostly, IMO) for worse James got turned into a real-deal lolcow. I don’t think that him becoming fodder for the likes of Keemstar or XQC, or even Muta or Mo1sty, or thousands of drama content channels of every size really helped things in any way, be it in terms of holding him accountable or generating positive outcomes for the people that he plagiarized.

With Tommy, 1) he is (was?) a millionaire 2) that video has like half the viewrate of the plagiarism video 3) he’s an attention whoring grifter with a three decade long career in the spotlight/chasing the spotlight who collects vanity world records and lies about his crowd sizes and had a television career and lied about being on MTV Cribs, it just feels different, like the public turnabout and “his mother must be very proud”/etc becoming memes is way more fair.

Like I’m not saying that the James Somerton scandal should’ve stayed within the queer community, and I’m sure that the surge in outside attention on a relatively under-resourced and under-platformed space probably helped a ton of people in myriad different ways and probably brought a ton of outsiders into it, but after the video passed 10 million James had become an internet main character in a way that was less about “look at this dishonest rear end in a top hat ripping off trans bloggers” and more about “here’s an embarrassing cringey guy that it’s ok to pick on”

And I do think that it’s fair to point out that there are entire industries of content creators doing what James did and much worse, just straight up ripping and reposting other people’s work, and being rewarded for it who will never face the same level of scrutiny or public backlash. Unless a publisher wants to sue Internet Historian one day his career is gonna do just fine until he retires/quits.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i just remember the position that hazbin hotel was like the successor to queer transgressive art in the tradition of john waters, and robert mapplethorpe, and not the successor to invader zim

the cd-i, the queerest console ever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arivia posted:

the cd-i, the queerest console ever

that's right.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A part of me can't fault the plagiarists because it's so widespread on YouTube it's probably a good assumption you'll get away with it. It's being a victim of one's own success in regards to those two because I've come across people doing videos some in the six figures for views where they're mostly reading off the first google hit for whatever the topic is. I assume anyone doing an iceberg video is either cribbing from wikipedia or the first page of search results. Any video about 10 scariest reddit posts is plagiarism that I guess everyone decided was acceptable.

The reason people call Wendigoon Youtube's dumbest boy is he doesn't even do that and will get basic stuff wrong that you can catch if you have even a passing interest in some of the things he talks about so I guess that's a point in the plus column for him.

Somerton also had the weakness of being popular enough to do this for a living but not popular enough to have a rabid fanbase like Internet Historian did. The tweets in defense of him were laughable but he's got enough people who either don't care or won't see he plagiarized Man in Cave then tried to be cute about it that it'll never hurt his bottom line.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
A low-level media personality muckraking and yellow journalisming a blustering academic charlatan, while the circumstances around the charlatan go on unchallenged, is merely just a bit of fun that we dullard peasants get to enjoy and spectate now and again. I really wouldnt worry about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The internet historian guy is probably a right wing dingus so you can’t really hurt him or stop him. Only people you can stop are people who either have a moral center or are in a space where morals are important

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Endorph posted:

I mean, I think the illuminaughtii thing is a good example. He hits the points, he explains the faults in her videos, he moves on. Compared to a 2 hour long takedown that he presents as a fun surprise where he systemtically tears apart every single thing this guy's ever done, including his personal failings and proof that hes a Bad Person (which, dude is a weirdo sexist, but stick with me for a second), then an outro where he proudly touts his own morals by linking a bunch of other random Queer Youtubers who are the Good Ones and have definitely never done or said anything wrong, ever. the whole vibe's just weird.

Eh. He didn't do himself any favors, and realistically like I said there's no actual material reason he can't just keep making videos, but even if he had done all the Correct Steps a lot of people would have never forgiven him, not because they felt personally slighted, but because that's the funnier option.

See I thought it was so comprehensive so that Somerton had no opportunity to weasel out of it. The whole point of the earlier segments was to show what people do when they're trying to get away with plagiarism and then demonstrate somerton doing the plagiarism and deploying the same defences as the people covered earlier in the video, as well as extensive evidence that this is a pattern of behaviour and if left any sort of room to maneuver he will keep doing it. Which was borne out by somerton immediately following the playbook locking down the channel, posting that statement that "we've been attacked by a bigger channel" and then following it with an apology video that didn't.

I get what you mean about some of hbombs delivery but I took it less as glee and more as hysterical disbelief that this stuff was so prevalent and blatant, like when he was just astonished that Tallarico didn't even have that many world records or that he'd lied about cribs. Performative bewilderment rather than glee.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CelticPredator posted:

The internet historian guy is probably a right wing dingus so you can’t really hurt him or stop him. Only people you can stop are people who either have a moral center or are in a space where morals are important

Yeah IH just kept on trucking and afaik never even acknowledged the video. But that's not just about him having no scruples: it's also about him cultivating an audience that doesn't have scruples and doesn't care about what he's doing as long as at the end of the day he made a funny. Illuminaughtii by comparison also tried to just keep on trucking but her viewership completely cratered.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CelticPredator posted:

yes, but also a lot of right wing dinguses piled on the James Somerton hatewagon, including dinguses with millions of followers, and that sucks, independent of whether or not he deserves to lose his career and eat the proverbial poo poo wrt gay video essays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
any time someone claims something which predates the industrial age is because of Late Capitalist Hellworld ftw