Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know, at this point this has me wonder if the Murder Drones/Amazing Digital Circus/Hazbin Hotel/Helluva Boss indie animation boom will ever start making actual kids shows of quality and depth. Unless they have been already and they just haven't been as advertized as the dark for-adults stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Spooky lore horror like Digital Circus is already heavily kids oriented, if we're being honest.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I guess I thought that having bleeped swear words put you out of the kids zone, at least on tv or tv-adjacent stuff, but then I remembered Total Drama did air in the US with bleeped 'craps'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda what happens when all the live action remakes are fundamentally based on the idea that animation is embarassing and kiddie and has to be serious and adult while the people making actual cartoons aren't ashamed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda what happens when all the live action remakes are fundamentally based on the idea that animation is embarassing and kiddie and has to be serious and adult while the people making actual cartoons aren't ashamed.

I dunno, Cowboy Bebop clearly thought it needed to be lighter and wackier.

The fun part to me is that Avatar: The Last Airbender is actually a fairly serious story already. The darkness comes from the idea that the entire weight of the world is being placed on the shoulders of three kids, who for much of the show are homeless orphans (or quasi-orphans) and facing murder at the hands of a xenophobic expansionist empire. The lightness isn't in conflict with that narrative, that conflict between light/dark and childhood/adulthood is a central thematic pillar to the show. Pretty much all of the characters struggle with this dynamic, either internally (Sokka, Azula) or through obvious foils and double-acts (Katara/Jett, Zuko/Iroh). I think the show struggles a lot with being silly, or even seeing silly as a viable way for characters to act. e.g. the MY CABBAGES payoff happening during a terrorist attack.

But I also think the show just isn't very well written. Sokka's insistence that Katara grown up in Episode Four makes no sense given that five minutes ago he was playing music with the cave stoners (not to mention weird given that he's meant to be on a mission to rescue Aang from telekinetic Caligula). It comes across as incoherent.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
loving Beebop live action, smdh.

Never have I seen a show so thoroughly and utterly miss the point of the original work.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, apparently the Tiny Toons reboot is coming back for Season 2 this Friday and Elmyra will be part of it (voiced once again by Cree Summer)

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/tiny-toons-looniversity-elmyra-return-exclusive-clip/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 5, 2024

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

The 7th Guest posted:

No, it's accurate, they were completely wasted and pointless additions, barely even being themselves and just standing still the entire time. It was garbage.

People can like the show if they want but I'm not going to change my opinion that much of it was just really direly bad. And a lot of the additions added next to nothing, while taking away time that could have gone to provide better characterization to the main cast.

I feel like its an interesting contrast to, say, the Garp stuff for One Piece Live Action. I feel like that at least tried to help build up the Marines early on, seed Coby's character arc, and help tie the season in a little bow with an emotional climax for Luffy in case they didn't get a second shot. And even then, despite having way more point than the Azula scenes, the Garp scenes were considered one of the more egregious additions.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd watch more Garp stuff.

Hell, I'd watch a movie about the world according to him

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno, Cowboy Bebop clearly thought it needed to be lighter and wackier.

The fun part to me is that Avatar: The Last Airbender is actually a fairly serious story already. The darkness comes from the idea that the entire weight of the world is being placed on the shoulders of three kids, who for much of the show are homeless orphans (or quasi-orphans) and facing murder at the hands of a xenophobic expansionist empire. The lightness isn't in conflict with that narrative, that conflict between light/dark and childhood/adulthood is a central thematic pillar to the show. Pretty much all of the characters struggle with this dynamic, either internally (Sokka, Azula) or through obvious foils and double-acts (Katara/Jett, Zuko/Iroh). I think the show struggles a lot with being silly, or even seeing silly as a viable way for characters to act. e.g. the MY CABBAGES payoff happening during a terrorist attack.

But I also think the show just isn't very well written. Sokka's insistence that Katara grown up in Episode Four makes no sense given that five minutes ago he was playing music with the cave stoners (not to mention weird given that he's meant to be on a mission to rescue Aang from telekinetic Caligula). It comes across as incoherent.

Really weird how the tones for those two shows, Cowboy Bebop and Avatar, got switched in the live action and it really shows.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

Really weird how the tones for those two shows, Cowboy Bebop and Avatar, got switched in the live action and it really shows.

Looking at the two I feel like the showrunners for LA Avatar understand the core idea beyond 'cool fights and funny dialogue' which are present in both the originals. Cowboy Bebop's did not. Its showrunners seemed to not understand there's a lot of commentary in Bebop.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Looking at the two I feel like the showrunners for LA Avatar understand the core idea beyond 'cool fights and funny dialogue' which are present in both the originals. Cowboy Bebop's did not. Its showrunners seemed to not understand there's a lot of commentary in Bebop.

As well as an appreciation for the lore as LA Avatar pulls from other sources such as Korra and the comics/novels. Meanwhile, Cowboy Bebop seemed largely soulless with its only real saving grace being its cast (sucks for Ed’s actor though, that was one of their first and only credits)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the Monsters Inc series is coming back for another season apparently

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yvhhtZ2ywj8

Odd seeing as the first one came out three years ago but ok

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 5, 2024

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With One Piece it helped that Garp owned.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Junpei posted:

You know, at this point this has me wonder if the Murder Drones/Amazing Digital Circus/Hazbin Hotel/Helluva Boss indie animation boom will ever start making actual kids shows of quality and depth. Unless they have been already and they just haven't been as advertized as the dark for-adults stuff.

They're trying. I definitely saw some pilots that looked kids oriented before, like the one about the sherifs in the gulch whose name I can't remember, but the thing is that a lot of this requires viewer funding and kids don't have money.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Larryb posted:

Also the Monsters Inc series is coming back for another season apparently

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yvhhtZ2ywj8

Odd seeing as the first one came out three years ago but ok

where in the timeline is this?

like didnt the first movie show that the energy apocalypse was fixed with humor?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

where in the timeline is this?

like didnt the first movie show that the energy apocalypse was fixed with humor?

The show takes place after the first movie if I recall correctly

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'd watch more Garp stuff.

Hell, I'd watch a movie about the world according to him

And with what's been learned recently of his own career and history, it turns out he owned harder than anyone probably thought and why he's considered a living legend

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Live Action ATLA has been renewed for its final two seasons

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/avatar-the-last-airbender-renewed-netflix-two-seasons-1235843979/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Not surprising but good news. Those shows are on a ticking clock before those kids start growing up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Not surprising but good news. Those shows are on a ticking clock before those kids start growing up.

Yeah, which is why I’m glad they announced both at once so the staff has a chance to adequately plan around things (the kid playing Aang is already hitting puberty going by a recent interview)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Speaking of internet animation, Rooster Teeth is going under, and apparently there are talks for RvB, RWBY and Gen:Lock to be sold off to other companies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Junpei posted:

Speaking of internet animation, Rooster Teeth is going under, and apparently there are talks for RvB, RWBY and Gen:Lock to be sold off to other companies.

Gen:Lock is like a radioactive property thanks to its second season and Michael B. Jordan's meddling in it so I doubt anyone buys that to try and resurrect it. lol though at Rooster Teeth in its entirety getting Zaslav'd.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder what’s going to happen to CampCamp

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
someone floated Arc System Works buying RWBY and finishing the plot through fighting games because of Cross Tag Battle

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Junpei posted:

drat, RWBY Season 9 was the best the series had been in years.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

The Bee posted:

I feel like its an interesting contrast to, say, the Garp stuff for One Piece Live Action. I feel like that at least tried to help build up the Marines early on, seed Coby's character arc, and help tie the season in a little bow with an emotional climax for Luffy in case they didn't get a second shot. And even then, despite having way more point than the Azula scenes, the Garp scenes were considered one of the more egregious additions.

I'm rewatching anime One Piece and I realized the Garp stuff is just the Water 7/Enies Lobby ending moved earlier. Like it doesn't really damage anything moving it other than Coby hasn't really started getting jacked.

Also didn't they say they aren't doing the war in Ba Sing Se? Like... ok season 2 is going to get weird then.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I felt like the quality improved over season 1 so this is good news.

It's a weird series though, the swings in quality are absolutely wild. It can go from interesting, well acted scenes that add to and expand on the original, to overstuffed sections with characters speed-running their arcs, and dialog that straight-up states internal conflict. It either needed more episodes to calm the gently caress down a bit, or some more savage editing to focus more on what's important and less on shoehorning in fan favourites.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fishylungs posted:

I'm rewatching anime One Piece and I realized the Garp stuff is just the Water 7/Enies Lobby ending moved earlier. Like it doesn't really damage anything moving it other than Coby hasn't really started getting jacked.

Also didn't they say they aren't doing the war in Ba Sing Se? Like... ok season 2 is going to get weird then.

You've forgotten - there is no war in Ba Sing Se.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Another good part of Avatar: The Last Airbender's season 3 was Iroh being in prison and acting like his spirit's been broken when the guards are looking, then exercising when they're away, so by the time one of them says "Look at what you've become", he's all buff. I liked the folk music throughout the series, like in "The Cave of Two Lovers". Some of it sounded like Woody Guthrie music, except with different string instruments. I like all the moments in the series with the characters acting silly and playing with Momo, so it's a shame to hear about the changes in the live-action series.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 7, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/DiscussAvatar/status/1765782447835197857?t=jJPYrFiRM4LXTpKqebpoig&s=19

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Covok posted:

drat, RWBY Season 9 was the best the series had been in years.

Big agree here. I lived volume 9.

Hope someone picks up the IP to finish it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I'll believe it when I see it and not a minute sooner

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I mean, we’ve seen that specific image before back when they first announced that new projects like the Netflix series and the movies were in development but we’ll see how it goes I guess

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Getting strong Bolin/Opal descendant vibes from this, assuming it's an actual design and not just a placeholder.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zooming in a bit, the new Avatar kind of looks like an Earth Kingdom soldier as well.

Assuming this is legit I wonder what era this series will take place in (Korra had kind of a Roaring 20’s vibe going on, right down to the recaps being in the format of old timey radio broadcasts)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Cyberpunk Avatar? Cyberpunk Avatar.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Post space colonizing society.
Aside from ancient training rituals, bending has become obsolete since all conflicts are held with spacecrafts which measure their effective weapon range in lightyears.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I keep saying it, Avatar should involve the nations all prepping for the space race, waiting for Sozen's Comet to come back around to get to the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Sokka already got to the moon