Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

War Wizard posted:

Even after this getting the puppet out of Seluvis is a hassle. He'll cost 5 starlight shards, which is like ⅓ of all the ones you can find.

And another 1/3 of those are in the church where you end Ranni's quest :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Rot dog is dirt cheap and more effective than you'd think.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

War Wizard posted:

The Ancestor Follower ash isn't terrible either, but not great.

Ancestral Follower is an underrated pick. Randomly focused on that for my first playthrough and those arrows are great.

Also IIRC the basic wolves do inflict bleed, so if given the chance to stick around they can take a bite out of early stuff.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
I've been doing co-op at level 100 for the last few weeks and my God, players have turned into complete pants-on-head idiots.

At this level I get summoned mainly for Fire Giant, Godskin Duo, Maliketh and Godfrey. I have another character I do this with at 125 and I don't remember players being this dumb.

Things like:
  • Watching me and emoting as I clear trash mobs by myself
  • Following me to our deaths as I walk off a cliff on purpose (see previous)
  • Just spamming block and running around like a complete spaz
  • Not waiting for helpers to zone in
  • Not waiting at the fog door to buff. Literally sprinting through the cave to Astel and taking a laser to the dome before helpers can even get close.
  • Not equipping the Spear for Rykard. I've been summoned and watched the host and other helper struggle and waste all their FP doing no damage to the boss while I occasionally poke at him with the Spear trying to show them what to do.

Maybe it's a bunch of new players... I hope it's that actually. On the bright side, PvP invaders at this level seem a bit more squishy and less sweaty. So I've actually had some success roll catching or sniping someone not paying attention.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Paracelsus posted:

Rot dog is dirt cheap and more effective than you'd think.

Rot dog got me through a ton of dungeons on my first playthrough.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope the DLC fleshes out spirit summoning a little more, not just with more ashes but with new spells or skills to buff them, or new mechanics? Like it would be really cool if you could customize them kind of like you can with weapons. Miyazaki hear my prayers.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I could see maybe some sort of buff/spell, but I doubt we'd see anything that changes them in any visible/mechanical way.

The core concept is that they are spirits of real beings acting out their actions in life, so it wouldn't make sense to be able to give your Ancestral Follower Spirit a different bow, or give Dung Eater a Golden Order spell, etc.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I think the only things I’d really want to see are more spirits that talk to you (like the jellyfish and Latenna) or have weird rear end interactions with specific stuff (like Ogha)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ancestral Follower ash is good as heck

How are the Hawk Archer guys with the ghostflame

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Annath posted:

I could see maybe some sort of buff/spell, but I doubt we'd see anything that changes them in any visible/mechanical way.

The core concept is that they are spirits of real beings acting out their actions in life, so it wouldn't make sense to be able to give your Ancestral Follower Spirit a different bow, or give Dung Eater a Golden Order spell, etc.

It'd also further weaken one of the core mechanics of these games which is tagging in some help when you're struggling.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Drain 001 posted:

I've been doing co-op at level 100 for the last few weeks and my God, players have turned into complete pants-on-head idiots.

At this level I get summoned mainly for Fire Giant, Godskin Duo, Maliketh and Godfrey. I have another character I do this with at 125 and I don't remember players being this dumb.

Things like:
  • Watching me and emoting as I clear trash mobs by myself
  • Following me to our deaths as I walk off a cliff on purpose (see previous)
  • Just spamming block and running around like a complete spaz
  • Not waiting for helpers to zone in
  • Not waiting at the fog door to buff. Literally sprinting through the cave to Astel and taking a laser to the dome before helpers can even get close.
  • Not equipping the Spear for Rykard. I've been summoned and watched the host and other helper struggle and waste all their FP doing no damage to the boss while I occasionally poke at him with the Spear trying to show them what to do.

Maybe it's a bunch of new players... I hope it's that actually. On the bright side, PvP invaders at this level seem a bit more squishy and less sweaty. So I've actually had some success roll catching or sniping someone not paying attention.

That's because they migrated to levels 50 to 70 where they can gank newbies trying to play the game and tackle field bosses. It's killed any interest in invasion based content since the people I get summoned to help really jist ARE newbies trying to play an enjoy the game and invaders are all running smurfed and twinked to max running builds that no one can conceivably take on at lower levels if they're new.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

verbal enema posted:

I used them when I was already playing with Ghostflame so I don't know how well they cause frostbite, but they were okay support, they're just kinda slow.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

verbal enema posted:

Ancestral Follower ash is good as heck

Their arrows are really slow so they just miss a lot. If you really need frostbite there are a ton of better options.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
greatshield soldiers are better if you're doing a ghostflame build imo. good at keeping things in your bullshit.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

doomfunk posted:

greatshield soldiers are better if you're doing a ghostflame build imo. good at keeping things in your bullshit.

They're my favorite. They can just stunlock and bully quite a few dungeon bosses and human sized enemies all by themselves

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Unless there's some weird combo thing with it, I think I ran into a hacker. Guy had Ghiza's wheels ability, but attached to the Serpent Hunter.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah that's a pretty well known exploit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=953YCBzCYkY&t=622s

This was on 1.09 so I guess 1.10 didn't fix it either lol

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that's a pretty well known exploit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=953YCBzCYkY&t=622s

This was on 1.09 so I guess 1.10 didn't fix it either lol

I remember a youtuber doing a video on why the game is dying(ie, why player count dropped faster and lower than even DS3) and talking about stuff like how invasions are harder now, there's less slots for invaders, there's less slots for coop, the usual etc.. Then I see poo poo like this and insanely meta smurfed twink builds and think how insanely out of touch they are with their takes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
PvP in Elden Ring is just less fun across the board. Pretty much every change they made relative to DS3 made it worse.

The only really positive change I can think of is that Elden Ring's version of the faith enchantment that saves you at 1 HP when you would normally die has a duration instead of being indefinite, and that only really mattered at level 100+ in DS3 anyways.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Serpent Hunter is a S tier weapon by itself, it remains one of the best crouch poke weapons in the game, being extremely fast and hard to react to, able to roll catch on reaction, and even has hyper armor.

Serpent Hunter with the chainsaw glitch is one of the most annoying exploits in the game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I haven't ever intentionally "couch poked" before. What is it? Just crouch down and attack?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

PvP in Elden Ring is just less fun across the board. Pretty much every change they made relative to DS3 made it worse.

The only really positive change I can think of is that Elden Ring's version of the faith enchantment that saves you at 1 HP when you would normally die has a duration instead of being indefinite, and that only really mattered at level 100+ in DS3 anyways.

Yeah I've noticed it too. In DS3 you actually SAW some variety in terms of builds and armors. Here, it's always some variation of Bleed/Frost with the heaviest armor you can wear while still fast rolling which is pretty much any armor since getting the Arsenal Charm is stupidly easy. This of course makes summons a pain in the rear end since as stated earlier, people who are already summoning are doing so because the game is hard enough for them without the addition of Meta Built invader.

Node posted:

I haven't ever intentionally "couch poked" before. What is it? Just crouch down and attack?

Pretty much yeah.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Node posted:

Yeah, it's OP with some weapons. The animation for it with colossal swords makes zero loving sense. Guess they all just weigh nothing.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's also the same attack as your rolling R1, which I find is a lot easier to work into a fight because it includes some iframes and repositioning on the house. I also just generally dislike anything that makes me use R3 or L3 in combat, too awkward

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

I remember a youtuber doing a video on why the game is dying(ie, why player count dropped faster and lower than even DS3) and talking about stuff like how invasions are harder now, there's less slots for invaders, there's less slots for coop, the usual etc.. Then I see poo poo like this and insanely meta smurfed twink builds and think how insanely out of touch they are with their takes.

it was true that there was a big lull in invasions some time after release - effigies werent working right so co-op was limited to in front of boss doors, and if you wanted to invade you had to go to the places you thought there might be co-op players and hope you didnt invade someone who was farming runes by idling in an inaccessible location. and even if you got lucky enough to find a party of 3 people in an open world area, they were likely using some kind of deathblight exploit or spamming bloodhound step. all of these problems were fixed thanks to Patches

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
At no point since the game released has Elden Ring ever been dying. YouTubers need that engagement though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

scary ghost dog posted:

it was true that there was a big lull in invasions some time after release - effigies werent working right so co-op was limited to in front of boss doors, and if you wanted to invade you had to go to the places you thought there might be co-op players and hope you didnt invade someone who was farming runes by idling in an inaccessible location. and even if you got lucky enough to find a party of 3 people in an open world area, they were likely using some kind of deathblight exploit or spamming bloodhound step. all of these problems were fixed thanks to Patches

Trusty Patches

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Epic High Five posted:

It's also the same attack as your rolling R1, which I find is a lot easier to work into a fight because it includes some iframes and repositioning on the house. I also just generally dislike anything that makes me use R3 or L3 in combat, too awkward

I can't even count how many times i've hosed myself in stressful moments by suddenly crouching. gently caress.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
Re: summon chat - Rot dog, the wolves or the jellyfish are all fine enough to last you until you get the Mimic Tear or whatever other good ash you're holding out for.

Lhutel is trash though, she drops aggro every time she teleports and doesn't do enough damage at any range to even come close to making up for this. If there is a way to make her good or a build that works well with her I have not found it yet. I equipped her and used her for way too long on my first playthrough because she was the first legendary ash I found and she had me convinced spirit ashes were a useless gimmick until I switched over to the wolves.

skasion posted:

or have weird rear end interactions with specific stuff (like Ogha)

What interaction?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ER's lifetime numbers are leaps and bounds ahead of DS3's, at least on steam. even at its lowest point, ER's average player counts are double DS3's post-release best, and it's undergoing a new renaissance thanks to sales + the DLC announcement to the point that it's just a little under palworld's average

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Nope. This mostly single player game from 2 years ago has fewer players than at launch, pack it up boys

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Regulus74 posted:

What interaction?

War Cry will cause them to also do a war cry and buff themselves, and do a one time special attack which is the same as the one bow knight guarding Fort Gael. The meteor arrow rain attack.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The crouch/ rolling attack on the Duelists Greataxe is terrible

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAFWQr08SZE&t=1364s

Just in case anyone missed it (like me), super cool video cracking the game open like an egg to look at all the hidden values (some bizarre choices in there). One of my favourite bits timestamped above shows the hidden area scaling for every area in the game from low to high, giving an idea of equivalent areas and an outline for when developers expected you to tackle each section of the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That stretch from Tier 10 to 16 is crazy and feels like a bit of a mess lol, considering I'm just using boss rune drop amounts as my guide for where to go next

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

That stretch from Tier 10 to 16 is crazy and feels like a bit of a mess lol, considering I'm just using boss rune drop amounts as my guide for where to go next

my speculation is that they originally intended for the difficulty to radiate out relatively evenly from limgrave in both directions, which would cap off in the domains for the final two shardbearers (malenia and mogh), but they ran out of the time or budget to finish radahn's and flesh out mogh's and had to shift things around into their current weird order. it'd make sense structurally, and the relative position of mogh's domain - it's sitting shockingly close to where dragonbarrow is above ground - would make finding a route through there feel more natural compared to it being a random portal a sneeze away from the haligtree

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's really funny where the entrance is, though. Which is more important, imo.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Do you think the Cuckoos cucked or got cucked?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The former. That's actually where the term cuckoldry comes from, because cuckoo birds lay their eggs in other birds' nests :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vermain posted:

my speculation is that they originally intended for the difficulty to radiate out relatively evenly from limgrave in both directions, which would cap off in the domains for the final two shardbearers (malenia and mogh), but they ran out of the time or budget to finish radahn's and flesh out mogh's and had to shift things around into their current weird order.
Don't know if this is what you meant, but at 22:17 in the following video, this guy points out that in the game's internal structure there are values for how much the health / damage of the creatures should be tuned up / down per area, implying that there is an intended order and it's pretty specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAFWQr08SZE

Some of it is interesting, like weeping peninsula and stormveil having about a 30% difference which is a weirdly large jump, whereas past Faram Azula everything seems to increase at a pretty linear rate.

It's an interesting find, I just wish he'd linked to the full list somewhere instead of randomly scrolling around bits of it.