Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i'm out at a restaurant having breakfast by myself while my car gets serviced. the host just swapped the chair opposite me with another table's chair bc theirs wasn't as comfy/had no cushion. i couldn't help but feel like Dee at Guigino's for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

i'm out at a restaurant having breakfast by myself while my car gets serviced. the host just swapped the chair opposite me with another table's chair bc theirs wasn't as comfy/had no cushion. i couldn't help but feel like Dee at Guigino's for a second.

did you make sure to tie his shoe laces together?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

...so you DO remember me?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

Big Mac Energy:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i watched blackberry finally. i had been kind of "nervous" about watching it thinking i wouldn't be able to unsee glenn as dennis but he really disappears into the role of this corporate rear end in a top hat.

it was a lot better than i thought it would be. really enjoyed it. i think it would have been more successful in the film circuit if the soundtrack didn't try so hard to be the social network soundtrack and if the stakes/tragedy had been higher.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

from The Sci-Fi Wi-Fi

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Golden God :perfect:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The way his arms flop down at the end is perfect :allears:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ShoogaSlim posted:

i watched blackberry finally. i had been kind of "nervous" about watching it thinking i wouldn't be able to unsee glenn as dennis but he really disappears into the role of this corporate rear end in a top hat.

it was a lot better than i thought it would be. really enjoyed it. i think it would have been more successful in the film circuit if the soundtrack didn't try so hard to be the social network soundtrack and if the stakes/tragedy had been higher.

I just watched it the other day and really enjoyed it. At least one of their movies was good.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I’m not a fan of biopics (I think they’re lazy) or really historical movies that aren’t reasonably adapted or something allegorical, but the performances in BlackBerry, and judging it for what it is, it was an overall B score. Good enough to watch, nothing super stand out. Good actors giving good performances. I won’t watch it again unless someone I was with really wanted to. Glenn did really well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What is meant to be the drama or story arc of the movie, just the frustration of being the bridge between palm pilot and smart phones and not getting to the latter first?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think what took me out of the movie the most was the guy from the Wii shopping channel update day video.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

What is meant to be the drama or story arc of the movie, just the frustration of being the bridge between palm pilot and smart phones and not getting to the latter first?

Yep, pretty much. You really needed to be out in the workforce during that 2004-2006 period when Blackberry was dominating.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cojawfee posted:

I think what took me out of the movie the most was the guy from the Wii shopping channel update day video.

Is that the same guy who made an Owen Wilson face for the entire runtime?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

It could be a few things I guess. If you innovate one new thing, that doesn't mean you're now the overall expert of it and eventually someone will come out with something new. Or just that you can be on top but eventually someone bigger will conspire with someone else to take you down. Like when apple convinced at&t that selling data was better than selling minutes, so they built a data network to support the iPhone.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwUt79Py9OA

Pretty impressive CGI at the end there for a joke vid

Ajaxify fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 5, 2024

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Khanstant posted:

It's sorta like The Founder if you've seen that movie where a ruthless rear end in a top hat (played by Glenn) is brought in to bolster a business but predictably tries to steamroll the rubes who brought him in for his own self advancement. Pretty decent movie, I'd also give it a high B grade overall.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

one thing i didn't love about blackberry is (spoilers if you haven't seen it and care) the ending kind of hinges on this whole "don't export production or else it'll be bad no matter what!" idea as to why blackberry eventually failed instead of, you know, being not great at integrating software and hardware and not being up on usage trends like apple was.

the drama was interesting in that angry bald guy comes in and is ruthless and infects the innocent developer/genius with his ruthlessness, but tbh that's really where it kind of ends. i wasn't really sold on dividing the friendship between the two friends at the beginning bc the headband guy was kind of a douche the whole time anyway and is never shown to contribute anything except for bringing popcorn to movie night and distracting the engineers.

as much as i liked the movie, i literally can't remember anyone's names, but it's not like glenn's character does all that much to persuade the main developer guy bc he already is convinced that his product is impeccable and that his employees want to work for him bc they have the best product available. it would maybe be more dramatically interesting if glenn fed him that idea somehow.

like i said in my last post about it, the movie suffers from lack of real stakes, but it's still a good/enjoyable watch. and i was really interested in the development and evolution of smartphones when palm pilots, blackberries, and iphones were all in the market. i had various windows mobile phones with slideout keyboards that were pretty bad but customizable and interesting. then i had a palm pre which i think was way ahead of its time and i'm still sad it failed. i rejected the iphone for a long time and never had a blackberry but it was still interesting to see the market develop, so if you don't care about any of that then yeah blackberry isn't going to be all that good to you without the real dramatic weight the same way the social network is.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Speaking of Always Sunny cast side projects, I've never seen The Mick and have some upcoming days off. Worth a watch?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

Speaking of Always Sunny cast side projects, I've never seen The Mick and have some upcoming days off. Worth a watch?
its a very good show

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
it rules, first episode is a bit slow but the kid actors are actually good because they're also all dirtbags

jimmy is one of my favorite characters ever

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

moot the hopple posted:

The show has great physical comedy and does a really good job of making the character's suffering very entertaining.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Mick made me laugh harder than I had in ages, just stupid stayed-up-too-late-at-sleepover uncontrollable laughter. It also made me come so close to vomiting I had to stand up and actively suppress it. Very effective show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Would have been an all timer with a few more seasons

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Great fuckin' show, THE loving WORST finale.

I would strongly suggest if you know it is coming up, just skipping that episode.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
wrong show died

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

moot the hopple posted:

100% yes. I didn't pay any attention to it when it was airing because it was a sitcom on Fox, how could it not be PC trash? But it actually rules, it's basically just alternate dimension Sweet Dee but she's a nanny now, but the kids are still the other cast members of Always Sunny.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Great fuckin' show, THE loving WORST finale.

I would strongly suggest if you know it is coming up, just skipping that episode.

And miss seeing the greatest sandwich making scene ever filmed? Hard disagree there Robbie.

Somec
Jul 15, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

100% yes. I didn't pay any attention to it when it was airing because it was a sitcom on Fox, how could it not be PC trash? But it actually rules, it's basically just alternate dimension Sweet Dee but she's a nanny now, but the kids are still the other cast members of Always Sunny.

Does she get with Josh Groban after it's found out that she's really a girl?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

100% yes. I didn't pay any attention to it when it was airing because it was a sitcom on Fox, how could it not be PC trash?
:raise:

I'm going to regret this, (we all probably are,) but what do you think PC is, exactly?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Mick was so loving good, and they STOLE IT FROM US, they TOOK WHAT WAS OURS! :gonk:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

I'm going to regret this, (we all probably are,) but what do you think PC is, exactly?
youre right. Fox is the politically wrong network. nice catch. now lets kick his rear end

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The Mick was so loving good, and they STOLE IT FROM US, they TOOK WHAT WAS OURS! :gonk:
honestly i would’ve rather they cancelled Sunny for more Mick. the last really good season was the same year Mick premiered too

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

Not literally Politically Correct, I should have said something more to the effect of 'toothless network product designed by committee'. Think Big Bang Theory or its ilk.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Neither that, nor PC describes Fox in any era from its inception to now, is why I'm confused here.

They've always been the most raunchy of all of the OTA networks.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yes, the Simpson's and Family Guy network is just too full of PCness for my taste.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

At least Kaitlin Olson is okay with it, really took it in her stride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQJruom7Pk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDE4umAjxcA

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Network TV is one thing and streaming/cable is another thing.

I didn't even realize that the Mick was on FOX (because no one consumes content that way anymore), so if someone told me it was Sunny, but on network TV with no specification, I would assume it was very safe and PC.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'all still ain't explained what PC is,

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
CharlieOhMyGodIDontCare.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

LividLiquid posted:

Y'all still ain't explained what PC is,

It's a windows device that shows how hosed up people have become.