Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If you told me this was a Chinese copy I'd have believed you. It looks a bit too plain.

something is off. Its too much body. I cant believe Im saying this but it needs bigger lights and like more grills or something.
It also needs a wide body treatment, bad.

How the gently caress are they planning on this working?
I get it, the first batch is going to go quick with hype, but I just see the troops from the 3 military bases near me flocking to the EV versions that will be expensive as gently caress right off the bat. Maybe Dodge has plans for a 15 or 30 year loan for these.
Having to wait an additional year for the i6 to be available seems like a weird strategy too. So everything is going to be loving expensive going forward?
I find this whole thing so interesting and cant wait to see how this shakes out with the previous audience who owns/loves Dodge stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

Weighs 6000 pounds, has drift and donut mode :911::911::911::911::911: :911::911::911::911::911: :911::911::911::911::911: :911::911::911::911::911: :911::911::911::911::911:

The last one handled like a pig and this won’t help at all.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Godzilla07 posted:

The new Charger will be available both as a 2 and 4-door car.

Notably, the new Charger will also be available with the new inline-6 starting in 2025. The base I-6 will produce 420 HP, with the high output versions producing 550 HP which is more than the same engine in truck and SUV duty. AWD will be standard.

It looks like the grill is sliding off. I didn't mind it until I noticed that, now it's all I can see.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
no hemi but you can still rack up DUIs with ease

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Full Collapse posted:

The last one handled like a pig and this won’t help at all.

Yeah but because it was already too heavy and just a straight line muscle car, it makes perfect sense to continue that name as an EV I think. No one wants a 6k lbs Miata or Corvette, but this isn't THAT much heavier than before. Still, that feels like more weight than just a battery pack should be adding? Or are they just using worse, heavier batteries than everyone else?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Franco Caution posted:

So everything is going to be loving expensive going forward?

what do you mean, "going forward?"

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

davebo posted:

Yeah but because it was already too heavy and just a straight line muscle car, it makes perfect sense to continue that name as an EV I think. No one wants a 6k lbs Miata or Corvette, but this isn't THAT much heavier than before. Still, that feels like more weight than just a battery pack should be adding? Or are they just using worse, heavier batteries than everyone else?

Car & Driver have the last Challenger at 4000 lbs +/- 300 lbs depending on engine.

Maybe lived experiences and all, but adding a third more weight through an extra ton does seem a bit heavier, imo.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

wesleywillis posted:

Weighs 6000 pounds, has drift and donut mode :911::911::911::911::911: :911::911::911::911::911: :911::911::911::911::911: :911::911::911::911::911: :911::911::911::911::911:
Going to be an absolute wrecking ball at street takeovers.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I love the Hurricane. Meh on the car though. I won't be buying one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tesla been making Merican EV muscle cars for 13 years. Talk about yeah nah

Also considerably lighter too WTF how the gently caress did that end up that bloated?!?!?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what do you mean, "going forward?"

:roflolmao: Thats fair.

Everyone thinks of the SCAT and the HELLCAT, but Dodge sells a fuckton of the $35-37K Charger SXTs each year.
Is that crowd just gone now and Dodge assumes those folks will step it up into the $50K+ options?
Like i said, unless Dodge finds a way to do 15 year financing, I dont see how this is going to work out.
I have a feeling used car market might get wild on these for a bit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
theres gonna be cash on the hood no doubt and i feel like most of those cars enter the market through Enterprise et al anyway

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I welcome this vehicle without a huge fuckoff grille and needlessly aggressive styling.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Yeah I mean that lower grille and hood appear to be an improvement from a pedestrian safety standpoint so I’m all for it. Unless those are 24” wheels and it’s actually just as tall as a truck.

It’s probably the latter.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I agree with most other sentiments that it looks weird somehow.

Too much time in the wind tunnel, headlightbar feels extremely 'understated' and not in a cool way

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

moxieman posted:

Yeah I mean that lower grille and hood appear to be an improvement from a pedestrian safety standpoint so I’m all for it. Unless those are 24” wheels and it’s actually just as tall as a truck.

That's not a grille, it's a front wing

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
They should have modeled it after this Daytona:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The first EV muscle car lmao come the gently caress on, EVERY EV is a muscle car because they are all wicked fast on account of being EVs.
I am super interested to see if this works for Dodge since they've spent so long banking on the theater of giant powerful engines and that's now all gone. A Kia couldn't do what a Charger could do 10 years ago, but now it can.

The homogenization of cars because of EVs is always been something I've been anticipating with interest because you have so much less to differentiate between cars when you rip out the ICE. I can't see the same person that would buy a Hellcat just buying an EV.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't mind the look of the coupe, the 4-door is a bit weird in the profile.

I'm more concerend that it's going to be AWD by default, what is that poo poo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

moxieman posted:

When 6000lb hits you, it doesn’t matter how tall or low the hood is.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Russian Bear posted:

When 6000lb hits you, it doesn’t matter how tall or low the hood is.

I mean, it actually kind of does matter, a lot, for how much actual force is absorbed into your body. The weight difference is so great between people and cars I'm really not sure the difference between 4500 and 6000 is actually more important.

I still really don't understand why Tesla could make a Model S with a similar amount of battery capacity nearly 1500 pounds light than this... 10 years ago. It seems like an area that all the legacy manufacturers are still unable to catch up on, though this is extreme. Coincidentally right before reading about this new Charger I read an article about the new I-6 RAM 1500 and was struck by how the weight of the 2 is near exactly the same.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

6000lbs, drift mode, The cheapest rear tire is 589 a piece.

Sounds like you're just feeding tires to the tire fire.

e: the local chrysler dealer has a whole pile of new chargers/challengers/300s at the back of their lot.

https://caredge.com/guides/fastest-and-slowest-selling-cars-2024

According to this, they have 477 days market supply for the charger, 480 for the Hornet, 360 for the challenger and 348 for the 300 in the states.

7 of the top 10 for market supply are FCA

It is entirely likely that there will be new old chargers and new new chargers on the lot at the same time.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 5, 2024

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tesla been making Merican EV muscle cars for 13 years. Talk about yeah nah

Also considerably lighter too WTF how the gently caress did that end up that bloated?!?!?

The Tesla and Lucid cars are designed on platforms that do not have to accommodate ICE powertrains. I'd also bet that the EV startups have more of an emphasis on weight-reduction than legacy manufacturers, who've consistently shown that they could give two shits about cutting weight for the last decade-plus.

Fun fact: the Lucid Air in its new base trim weighs 4536 lbs, which is lighter than the new C63 AMG (4749 lbs.)

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The Charger has always been ugly as poo poo so it's nice they carried on that legacy with the new one

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Eyud posted:

The Charger has always been ugly as poo poo so it's nice they carried on that legacy with the new one

It used to look cool though. This is just a Wish.com lookin' one.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They should just have the Challenger's quad full time angel eyes on the eChargEr, it sucks that BMW apparently can't stand them anymore. :smith:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 5, 2024

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Nobody has mentioned the fake exhaust thing yet? That might be how they can justify calling it an “EV muscle car”

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Elem7 posted:

I mean, it actually kind of does matter, a lot, for how much actual force is absorbed into your body. The weight difference is so great between people and cars I'm really not sure the difference between 4500 and 6000 is actually more important.

I still really don't understand why Tesla could make a Model S with a similar amount of battery capacity nearly 1500 pounds light than this... 10 years ago. It seems like an area that all the legacy manufacturers are still unable to catch up on, though this is extreme. Coincidentally right before reading about this new Charger I read an article about the new I-6 RAM 1500 and was struck by how the weight of the 2 is near exactly the same.

Yeah i mean i know it matters in terms of where the person goes, on top of the hood or under the car. Just being obtuse about the ridiculous weight of cars nowadays :(

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Franco Caution posted:

:roflolmao: Thats fair.

Everyone thinks of the SCAT and the HELLCAT, but Dodge sells a fuckton of the $35-37K Charger SXTs each year.
Is that crowd just gone now and Dodge assumes those folks will step it up into the $50K+ options?
Like i said, unless Dodge finds a way to do 15 year financing, I dont see how this is going to work out.
I have a feeling used car market might get wild on these for a bit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pentastar V6 announced at a later date to take care of the boots, and the cops.

The new Charger is a liftback in all forms, and it's a big car: 206.6" long (5247mm) and 79.8" wide (2026mm). The only cars as big as the new Charger are the full-size luxury sedans, e.g. S-Class, Genesis G90.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The EV Charger being 2721kgs is a new level of absurd tho. For reference a RR Spectre is 2890kgs - Rolls Royce never was in the business of light cars so a FCA coupe to approach this weight without the luxury is just a real what the hell, esp when weight is a huge EV range killer.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Godzilla07 posted:

The new Charger is a liftback in all forms, and it's a big car: 206.6" long (5247mm) and 79.8" wide (2026mm). The only cars as big as the new Charger are the full-size luxury sedans, e.g. S-Class, Genesis G90.

Sounds like they need to redeem this thing by bringing back the Magnum, a big AWD 700hp EV wagon doesn't sound so bad, maybe it give it some ridiculously named brown paint option, like brown noise shart, or something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

theres gonna be cash on the hood no doubt and i feel like most of those cars enter the market through Enterprise et al anyway

Lotta cash on the hoods of Chargers and Challengers now, I'm seeing up to $15k off MSRP for R/T's, now's the time to get the last of the V8's.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

This is certainly something :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGAZkn11hcw

Dodge appears to have contacted the Effects Studio behind the latest Flash movie in order to make a 10 minute 'thing' about the new Charger.

There is some weird language in this. "THEY told us we couldnt sell HEMIS. So we took the rules, found the gray areas and used them, used them against them, to build a muscle car. To build a Dodge muscle car, and slide it under the wire that the regulators threw down in front of us like spike strips on the highway. "
THIS AINT NO TYPICAL BATTERY ELECTRIC MELTED JELLY BEAN!

Is this their plan on how to sell these to their regular customers? Culture War bullshit :newlol: (this will probably work)

Dont let George Soros win. Order your next-gen Charger TODAY!

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

lol @ american car companies constantly poking a stick into their own bicycle spokes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A RWD 4 door lift back with a twin turbo inline 6 sounds good on paper.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Franco Caution posted:

Is this their plan on how to sell these to their regular customers? Culture War bullshit :newlol: (this will probably work)

Dont let George Soros win. Order your next-gen Charger TODAY!
Judging by all comments saying Dodge sold to to the NWO and Woke Crowd like Bud Light did, yeah it'll probably work.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The EV Charger being 2721kgs is a new level of absurd tho. For reference a RR Spectre is 2890kgs - Rolls Royce never was in the business of light cars so a FCA coupe to approach this weight without the luxury is just a real what the hell, esp when weight is a huge EV range killer.

I'd be fascinated to know what the performance difference would be if it was half or even two thirds of that weight.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Paging Engineering Explained guy to do the math for us

E:
He does actually have a video on mass vs acceleration lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cUIhVEJEaM

gently caress it, let's do this. We have all the information to do the math in that Car and Driver article except the gear reduction, but it seems to work out to about 9.5 which is similar to what Tesla uses, from a quick google check, so probably about right.

Wait it's just linear lol. I guess IRL traction limitations with lower weight and air resistance would affect that

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 6, 2024

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pentastar V6 announced at a later date to take care of the boots, and the cops.

.2" shy of needing clearance lights. :btroll: The widebody is going to be something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Mazda ahead of the curve once again. That knob system makes some people cry, but it's so intuitive once it's your car for a little while.

Love the knob it’s the best