Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stereotype posted:

even that obviously impossible decrease in the graph leaves the line above the 30 year median temperature lmao

it's el niño. that's normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
el normo

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Stereotype posted:

even that obviously impossible decrease in the graph leaves the line above the 30 year median temperature lmao

look,

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
good stuff
https://twitter.com/Race2Extinct/status/1764807823559659897

quote:

Sugar beet farmers have the green light to use a banned pesticide deadly to bees following a forecast that a virus could sweep through their crops.

Emergency authorisation to use neonicotinoids was given in January but rested on a threat level being met.

Supplier British Sugar said the predicted infection rate was now 83% of crop and was "historically high".

Defra said the decision to approve was not "taken lightly" but campaigners said it made "a mockery" of the ban.

Neonicotinoids are toxic to pollinating bees, disrupting their ability to navigate and reproduce. But some sugar beet farmers say the pesticides are needed to protect against the disease known as virus yellows.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
It snowed last night. I've never seen the snow yellow because it's full of tree pollen before

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

yep we got the bees hooked on heaters

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Dog Case posted:

It snowed last night. I've never seen the snow yellow because it's full of tree pollen before

At my apartment complex in Florida there were fallen leaves all over the place from apparently confused trees (same, trees, same)

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
if bees really wanted to not get poisoned they should start reading up on tort law

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Glad I'm not a bee and I can look forward to a long healthy life

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Homeless Friend posted:

art of the bdeall

Now you're thinking with portmanteaux!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

could someone repost the nickleback “look at this graph” video please? one of the classic graph jokes that just makes me randomly chuckle

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Can't they just net the beets or is that more costly than synthesizing and importing neurotoxin

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

god forbid we have a nationwide sugar beet shortage

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Dokapon Findom posted:

Now you're thinking with portmanteaux!

Art bdell?

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
better believe beets beat bees;
beet buyers beatific: bee-beating biocide back in business!
---
edit: yellows sounds like a fake-rear end disease, anyway. big sugar looking for any excuse to edge out lil' honey
:v: what did you say was killing your beets?
:mad: killing our profits... those little black and yellow bastar-- I mean, uh, 'yellows'

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Mar 5, 2024

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
beets

bears

biosphere collapsica

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Look at the bees
Look how they died for you
So all the beets you grew
Were without yellows

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

ahh found it :laugh:

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

The Oldest Man posted:

sorry about all life on earth or whatever

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

quiggy posted:

god forbid we have a nationwide sugar beet shortage

Nobody look into the weird tariffs that are enforced against sugar cane producing countries to safeguard domestic sugar production

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

3rd day in a row at or above 70, birds are loving chirping

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Laterite posted:

beets

bears

biosphere collapsica

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Yeah it's the birds that are freaking me out- they should either be further south or further north and I don't think they know which they need to be either.

lol

Fact: bdells eat beets

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Needs the onion editor in the corner

"Magic marker! -Ed"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OIL PANIC posted:

better believe beets beat bees;
beet buyers beatific: bee-beating biocide back in business!

I enjoyed this

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Dokapon Findom posted:

Yeah it's the birds that are freaking me out- they should either be further south or further north and I don't think they know which they need to be either.

lol

Fact: bdells eat bdeets

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

kyojin posted:

Look at the bees
Were without yellows

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
https://i.imgur.com/m4QV4tk.mp4
(audio on, nerd)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

BRJurgis posted:

Needs the onion editor in the corner

"Magic marker! -Ed"

Or Nardwuar.

I think this calls for a "Doot doola doot doo"...

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

hell yeah we can get so much higher

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/05/climate/man-charged-smuggling-greenhouse-gases-hfcs-climate/index.html

quote:

A California man was arrested and charged Monday with allegedly smuggling potent, planet-heating greenhouse gases from Mexico, marking the first such prosecution in the US, according to a statement from the US Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of California.

Michael Hart, a 58-year-old man from San Diego, pleaded not guilty to smuggling hydrofluorocarbons, or HFCs — commonly used in air conditioning and refrigeration — and selling them for profit, in a federal court hearing Monday.

According to the indictment, Hart allegedly purchased the HFCs in Mexico and smuggled them into the US in the back of his truck, concealed under a tarp and tools. He is then alleged to have sold them for a profit on sites including Facebook Marketplace and OfferUp.

“It is illegal to import certain refrigerants into the United States because of their documented and significantly greater contribution to climate change,” Assistant Attorney General Todd Kim of the Justice Department’s Environment and Natural Resources Division said in a statement Monday.

CNN is attempting to reach an attorney for Hart.

HFCs, which are also used in building insulation, fire extinguishing systems and aerosols, are banned from import into the US without permission from the Environmental Protection Agency.

These greenhouse gases are short-lived in the atmosphere, but powerful — some are thousands of times more potent than carbon dioxide in the near-term.

“The illegal smuggling of hydrofluorocarbons, a highly potent greenhouse gas, undermines international efforts to combat climate change,” said David M. Uhlmann, the assistant administrator for the EPA’s Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. “Anyone who seeks to profit from illegal actions that worsen climate change must be held accountable,” he added.

Countries have committed to cut the use of HFCs. In 2016, nearly 200 nations including the US agreed to the Kigali Amendment to reduce planet-heating pollution from these greenhouse gases.

The UN Environment Program estimated at the time that the agreed reduction in HFCs could prevent up to 0.5 degrees Celsius of global warming by the end of the century.

But over the past two decades, the use of HFCs has increased rapidly, mainly because they are being used as a replacement for ozone-depleting substances which have been rapidly phased out globally.

As the world heats up, so does demand for AC and refrigerants.

Hart is also alleged to have imported HCFC 22, a ozone-depleting substance that has been phased out in the US and has been illegal to import into the US since 2020.

US Attorney Tara McGrath said in a statement Monday: “Today is a significant milestone for our country. This is the first time the Department of Justice is prosecuting someone for illegally importing greenhouse gases, and it will not be the last.”

Hart has pleaded not guilty to 13 charges including conspiracy, importation contrary to law and sale of merchandise imported contrary to law. The charges carry potential prison sentences ranging from five to 20 years.

His next hearing date is set for March 25.

Thankfully we're saved from the dudes selling refrigerant on Facebook Marketplace, climate change is solved :blessed:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

so hiiiiiiigggghhhhhhhh

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

TeenageArchipelago posted:

hell yeah we can get so much higher

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/05/climate/man-charged-smuggling-greenhouse-gases-hfcs-climate/index.html

Thankfully we're saved from the dudes selling refrigerant on Facebook Marketplace, climate change is solved :blessed:

I got this ad while checking the weather the other day

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

kyojin posted:

Look at the bees
Were without yellows

The Oldest Man posted:

sorry about all life on earth or whatever but this is incredible content

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

365 days, we did it! :toot:

https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1765065264109101393

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

March 5th is now Climate Death Day, the day the climate we all knew as kids officially died.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

it’s summer, it’s supposed to be warm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

:five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five:

to be clear, 5 in this case means 5C