Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

Every war game run by NATO assumes air supremacy and it's what allows them to dominate poor countries

I'm this regard it's exactly like aristocracy thinking a heavy cavalry charge will always be decisive and what let's them dominate poor people

In this analogy, cheaply available sams and drones are like the peasants getting crossbows

The entire US way of war is to strike so hard and fast that you don't have protracted conflicts which consume such high volumes of material. It will come down to whether 5th generation stealth actually works so they can gain complete air dominance and allow US ground forces to conduct the fighting in a way that renders all these "new old" tactics moot. Drones, artillery, and trenches dominate right now because no one can get mobility on the battlefield. Presumably, the US led NATO forces won't have a problem with that if their air campaign is unchallenged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

it would be funny if stealth actually worked and then you'd have a bunch of stealth jets dogfighting with their machine guns

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Presumably, the US led NATO forces won't have a problem with that if their air campaign is unchallenged.

Infantry battalions still need to clear trenches and pick their way through minefields.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Infantry battalions still need to clear trenches and pick their way through minefields.

Even Sid Meier understood this

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Mister Bates posted:

it doesn't seem like it should be lethal, it's just a little strip of cloth and you spin it around, it looks so humble and mundane that it's difficult to imagine somebody being seriously injured or even killed by it

but when a lead slug hits you in the face at high velocity it's going to gently caress you up no matter what sent it your way

man, if only there was a famous story about a scrawny little shepard boy with his sling defeating a huge muscled guy armed with sword shield and spear

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Is there a word for this? It’s almost determinism but not quite.

I see it all the time in military balance reports, “Russian shell production is (millions) but western industry could produce much more”. Okay? Well? Are they?

Military-potentially-in-being doctrine.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

Military-potentially-in-being doctrine.

Well it drives me crazy.

We can't get an axle and automotive component manufacturer that will remain nameless to produce shells for a contract, but if they did they would obviously produce mountains of high quality shells, so we can forecast meeting our needs and donating more to Ukraine, plus more shells to battlegroup. The shells don't exist yet, and I don't think they're going to budge unless we outbid the automakers (not going to happen), plus they'd need to retool and of course they can't fill the shells, and we've cut shell use for training to almost nothing... but potentially we have a high tech company that shows Canada's commanding lead over Russia in manufacturing... so?

It's like how they diverted the new Bisons to Ukraine, but we're still talking as if deliveries to the Canadian Army have taken place. Those vehicles are not actually in inventory, but GD completed X of them, so it's almost as if we have that many? Instead of nearly none? The 15 year project to make a LAV without a turret was a resounding success.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Artilleryman increasingly agitated that spreadsheet bureaucrats value their spreadsheets more than reality.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
In the frictionless world of excuse manufacturing, you can have your cake and eat it too.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Bar Crow posted:

In the frictionless world of excuse manufacturing, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Teaching me ballistics and meteorology was a curse. Like Cassandra with tinnitus.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Grilled Beef posted:

man, if only there was a famous story about a scrawny little shepard boy with his sling defeating a huge muscled guy armed with sword shield and spear

Why would a story about a guy who needed devine intervention to stand a chance make people like slingshots? If that's all you know them from it sounds like they are totally outclassed unless you get a diety on your side.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

God respects light infantry

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Well it drives me crazy.

We can't get an axle and automotive component manufacturer that will remain nameless to produce shells for a contract, but if they did they would obviously produce mountains of high quality shells, so we can forecast meeting our needs and donating more to Ukraine, plus more shells to battlegroup. The shells don't exist yet, and I don't think they're going to budge unless we outbid the automakers (not going to happen), plus they'd need to retool and of course they can't fill the shells, and we've cut shell use for training to almost nothing... but potentially we have a high tech company that shows Canada's commanding lead over Russia in manufacturing... so?

It's like how they diverted the new Bisons to Ukraine, but we're still talking as if deliveries to the Canadian Army have taken place. Those vehicles are not actually in inventory, but GD completed X of them, so it's almost as if we have that many? Instead of nearly none? The 15 year project to make a LAV without a turret was a resounding success.

I think there's a big connection to Just In Time, which is a valid methodology in some aspects, but has become a religion that is poorly understood even by its priests.

JIT simplifies things: you don't need to store so much. Great! And the producers need to just produce as much as is necessary (except in practice). Great! But "we will move heaven and earth to make sure that everything shows up just in time" as a method of action has transitioned to "things will show up just in time" as an article of faith.

Then, since it is a faith, it has been universalized to also include the military.

If you needed the shells, you would have them. If you don't have them, by definition it means you don't need them.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I have never seen staff sling in Kung Fu movies, I call bullshit on this tech tree.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I think it is worth contrasting with China, which just seems to believe in making things. Almost as if they believe material things are better than things in a computer.

There is an endless assortment of drones within the Chinese armed forces, with more being introduced every year. It's hard to know what some of them are for. Some seem very specialized, and some seem redundant considering other types in service. A lot of Western commenters think this shows a lack of direction or coherent doctrine.

I think it shows that China is capable of putting out prototypes rapidly and effortlessly, and believes the best way to determine if they are good or how to use them is to make a few and give them to the military. Their approach would seem insane if you believe that a weapons program takes 10-20 years and tens of billions of dollars. If it takes 6 months or less, clearly the situation is very different.

Thinking about the US attempting to replace the Humvee, since 2005. And the Bradley, since 2009. And the m113, since 2013.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Mar 5, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I think there's a big connection to Just In Time, which is a valid methodology in some aspects, but has become a religion that is poorly understood even by its priests.

JIT simplifies things: you don't need to store so much. Great! And the producers need to just produce as much as is necessary (except in practice). Great! But "we will move heaven and earth to make sure that everything shows up just in time" as a method of action has transitioned to "things will show up just in time" as an article of faith.

Then, since it is a faith, it has been universalized to also include the military.

If you needed the shells, you would have them. If you don't have them, by definition it means you don't need them.

That would explain why people hate War Stores in MTL, and talk about it exclusively as a waste.

:psyduck:

e: or during Afghanistan, so most of my career, anything that was not immediately useful - TOWs, LAV TOW carriers, ADATS, the Oerlikons, the Bofors, Javelin (the MANPAD), Eyrx, M113, M109, Cougar (LAV with 76mm gun), Lynx (weapons carrier with 20mm gun), pack howitzers, Kiowa, was treated as a waste and a burden, and scrapped as quickly as possible - and never replaced.

If enough had been in War Stores, maybe we could refurbish them, like the Navy did with the Bofors, but now we’re hosed because while it was old Cold War stuff, we can’t actually get new replacements, even if they theoretically exist.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Mar 5, 2024

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I see it all the time in military balance reports, “Russian shell production is (millions) but western industry could produce much more”. Okay? Well? Are they?

It's no different from your old high school buddy who peaked his senior year and still dwell on his winning touchdown in the division game. He has a potbelly and haven't touched a weight in 20 years but he still insist that he totally can bench press 235 if he wanted to

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Cold War equipment in War Stores, even if worn out and “obsolete” is still better than not actually having any of the new high tech stuff that rendered the whole idea of “35mm AA guns” and “any antitank weapons whatsoever” “outdated”.

Am I crazy? Wouldn’t you rather have the Oerlikon than nothing?

The whole MMEV fiasco should have been a giant loving wake up call.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I think it shows that China is capable of putting out prototypes rapidly and effortlessly, and believes the best way to determine if they are good or how to use them is to make a few and give them to the military. Their approach would seem insane if you believe that a weapons program takes 10-20 years and tens of billions of dollars. If it takes 6 months or less, clearly the situation is very different.

Fast prototyping and lots of iteration leads to better results?

Nation of computertouchers says "No, this is dumb!"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hatebag posted:

it would be funny if stealth actually worked and then you'd have a bunch of stealth jets dogfighting with their machine guns swords

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

"Diamondism" or "Fukuyamaism" are the terms that resonate for me. The putrid reek of laundered racism.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10455752.2013.846490

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
proposing a new program called No Gun Left Behind

batteries are graded on the number of shells they put within 100 meter CEP. The more accurate a battery is, the more shells they get allotted for training with, per fiscal quarter

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Cold War equipment in War Stores, even if worn out and “obsolete” is still better than not actually having any of the new high tech stuff that rendered the whole idea of “35mm AA guns” and “any antitank weapons whatsoever” “outdated”.

Is there any valid reason for this, like outdated equipment increasing illegal arm deals, being left for foreign/hostile entities, requiring excessive manpower to maintain?

Military industrial corruption seems more likely, it just seems like there should at least be an argument to justify it?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I mean there are whole forums on SA who declared the appearance of Russian T-62s and T-55s to be the sign of the Ukrainian Ever Invinicble Army's inevitable victory.

I bet if you asked around the milhist scene and professional scene in the West they're all dreaming of Abrams and Leopard tank aces scything through helpless Ork tanks while declaring the Lostarmour DB entries to be Russian propaganda.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

BillsPhoenix posted:

Is there any valid reason for this, like outdated equipment increasing illegal arm deals, being left for foreign/hostile entities, requiring excessive manpower to maintain?

Military industrial corruption seems more likely, it just seems like there should at least be an argument to justify it?

It's all axiomatic. Newer = Better. "Obsolete" (in theory) = Useless (in practice). Storage = Waste.

I think it's because the MIC markets using the same language of every other industry and everybody just assumes high tech stuff is better on an almost metaphysical level. So, because a company is promising something better than 35mm guns, having antiaircraft guns at all is obsolete. Because the MANPADs are old, and the MIC is offering newer, better ones, it's not even worth holding onto the existing inventory unless and until the newer ones are actually in soldiers' hands.

I think Zeppelin Insanity nailed it: If you needed X, you would have it. If you don't have it, by definition it means you don't need them.
With the added layer that Y existing - even in theory - means there is no reason to have X, because you'll just get Y when you need it.

If you haven't been exposed to the marketing, it's all poo poo like this. The worst thing is, the loving people in procurement wake up and see the world fresh every day, because they clearly don't remember that everything is promised to be the Next Gen solution that makes everything else obsolete, and I don't think I've seen any of this poo poo actually enter service and be useful. Certainly not be useful and available in any quantity - looking at Excalibur.

In theory, it made "dumb" 155mm obsolete overnight. Nevermind all of the reasons that's not true, even in theory. But, supposing that was the case, inventory was cut way back, because we have magical shells now. Only, they're not as good as was promised, and there's hardly any of them. So...? Wouldn't it have better to do what we had been doing? No, because "dumb" shells were "obsolete", so you can't like... go back, or something? I don't know, but it happens with every one of these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-FQ2jz9xM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vftDTZChRQw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vftDTZChRQw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfF52zBzr6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdwjcayPuag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DXpPmpmcak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaeyf1mT4sg

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Mar 5, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

We're running Air Defence Artillery Gunner and ADA Officer courses with no equipment to train on this year, essentially sidelining guys' careers upon enlistment/commission. They want to run like 3 serials of each this year. That means there will be almost 300 people who have no actual job to do in the military, because they were trained in a blackboard course, talking about theory and doctrine* - that is all hypothetical, because they deemed the existing doctrine obsolete along with ADATS, Javelin and 35mm** - with no way to test it, no actual training, no actual unit to be assigned to, though they'll be dumped on 4 RCA**.

Because, there's a recognition that Someone Should Do Something, because the Russians obviously have fixed wing, rotary and unmanned AirPower, but... that's it. That's as far as it went. When we need air defence to actually equip these guys with, we'll just have it.

I mean, I feel bad for them, but I also spent the first year of my career in limbo because they retired ADATS literally as I joined, so I was diverted to Field Artillery... which was retiring the M109... so we would have M777, someday...? Then I trained on LG1, which we were running out of parts for because 105mm was "obsolete" and Nexter had diverted all production to CAESAR... so..?

Each of the existing weapons: ADATS, M109, LG1 could be incredibly useful if they were making new ones, or making new systems that replicated the capabilities 1:1 instead of "innovating", and moreover, any one of them would have been more useful than having nothing, dooming someone to float around the artillery school reading books for no discernible purpose.

* and that's all very interesting for Captains and Majors to do at CFC and CADTC, and obviously at RCAS too but, what the gently caress are we doing running serials for people who just joined the army? There's no point in doing the free association, blue sky, theoretical course on air defence if there is no operational AD unit for them to actually... you know... do the job of 2lts and gunners in.

** the equipment is obsolete (old, wasn't maintained, was ditched because it wasn't useful in Afghanistan), therefore, everything we think we know about using weapons against aircraft needs to be innovated for next gen solutions to future proof the 21st century battle space :dumb:

** Which is where they dumped all of the UAVs and sensors

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Mar 5, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

dooming someone to float around the artillery school reading books for no discernible purpose.
:thunk:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's funny because I remember literally being taught in primary school that just because something is more expensive it doesn't mean it's better.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

It's funny because I remember literally being taught in primary school that just because something is more expensive it doesn't mean it's better.

Better for whom

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

Someone explained this better in either this thread or the Ukraine thread, but the idea that money is power has vaporized people's brains when they try to apply that logic to the military.

They really do believe that GDP is the same as national strength, because you can just buy military power. You give a trillion dollars to LockMart and then... you win. How much they make of anything, how long it takes to deliver, if it's even good, like basically doesn't enter into it. It's spreadsheet thinking, but, idk my brain can't tap into it.

I think the people who came up with the RMA in the 70's-80's were kind of bullshitting because they saw the military balance with Warsaw Pact. Reagan and Thatcher required, on an ideological level, that NATO was militarily superior, so these guys promised the moon to them, that somehow, qualitative superiority - which really only meant more expensive - would guarantee that NATO would have an advantage if only the projected equipment for the 80's, 90's, The Year Two Thousand was funded.

Then 1991 really pushed this into overdrive, and everybody believed the hype, even though the armies that defeated the Iraqis were actually not fielding the new equipment of the RMA in most cases - the Marines went to Iraq with M60s, only 7% of munitions used were smart, etc.

But now, it doesn't matter how many times this has proven to be a worse military system than the 1970's in, arguably, most ways other than communications and certain types of sensors, people take the RMA stuff as gospel, instead of failure after failure for 20 years.

Here's where I hit kind of my intellectual and theoretical ceiling, but probably one of you is better equipped to handle it:

I don't think the so-called Revolution in Military Affairs is unrelated to either neoconservatism or neoliberalism, the timing is too similar to be coincidental, and all three refer to the others, but I can't really prove it because I don't know why that would be. Obviously the belief in technological dominance is a bit part of the sales pitch for neoconservatism, Max Boot's insane book War Made New is worth reading to know how these people think. I think the relationship to neoliberalism must have something to do with the idea that producing things isn't just unnecessary, it's almost dirty.

Idk. People who believe in all 3 things run the world though, so maybe someone should look into that.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Someone explained this better in either this thread or the Ukraine thread, but the idea that money is power has vaporized people's brains when they try to apply that logic to the military.

They really do believe that GDP is the same as national strength, because you can just buy military power. You give a trillion dollars to LockMart and then... you win. How much they make of anything, how long it takes to deliver, if it's even good, like basically doesn't enter into it. It's spreadsheet thinking, but, idk my brain can't tap into it.

I think the people who came up with the RMA in the 70's-80's were kind of bullshitting because they saw the military balance with Warsaw Pact. Reagan and Thatcher required, on an ideological level, that NATO was militarily superior, so these guys promised the moon to them, that somehow, qualitative superiority - which really only meant more expensive - would guarantee that NATO would have an advantage if only the projected equipment for the 80's, 90's, The Year Two Thousand was funded.

Then 1991 really pushed this into overdrive, and everybody believed the hype, even though the armies that defeated the Iraqis were actually not fielding the new equipment of the RMA in most cases - the Marines went to Iraq with M60s, only 7% of munitions used were smart, etc.

But now, it doesn't matter how many times this has proven to be a worse military system than the 1970's in, arguably, most ways other than communications and certain types of sensors, people take the RMA stuff as gospel, instead of failure after failure for 20 years.

Here's where I hit kind of my intellectual and theoretical ceiling, but probably one of you is better equipped to handle it:

I don't think the so-called Revolution in Military Affairs is unrelated to either neoconservatism or neoliberalism, the timing is too similar to be coincidental, and all three refer to the others, but I can't really prove it because I don't know why that would be. Obviously the belief in technological dominance is a bit part of the sales pitch for neoconservatism, Max Boot's insane book War Made New is worth reading to know how these people think. I think the relationship to neoliberalism must have something to do with the idea that producing things isn't just unnecessary, it's almost dirty.

Idk. People who believe in all 3 things run the world though, so maybe someone should look into that.

btw this same thing applies to, quite literally, everything. money is an abstract representation of value, but in late financialized capitalist economies, the abstract representation is reified: Number is the value, not the material things it represents.

we spend the most on healthcare? best healthcare system
we spend the most on housing? best housing in the world
we spend the most money on election propaganda? clearly, this is the best and most representative of all possible democracies

you can't fight this inside the political economy we have now because the rules are set by number; we built ourselves a skynet to kill us all and didn't even need ai to do it.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Hubbert posted:

and for everyone taking notes at home, the past two pages are why the us will lose ww3

cspam does Deadlist Warrior

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

dooming someone to float around the artillery school reading books for no discernible purpose.

welcome to real academia, motherfuckers

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

i think it all comes down to the priorities that the people involved have

MIC used to be a military only concerned with Winning would have individuals who knew how to convert other things into Winning go out and tap companies only concerned with Profit to make materials for Winning, they were willing to pay any amount to win, so companies chased that heavily

then the people they paid got too paid and started to influence who got hired to convert government funds into winning & replaced them with people who convert government funds into profit for those companies, where instead of it being "we have a military demand, satisfy it" they're hitting them up going "here's all of the money, come up with a profitable excuse for why it had to go here " bing bong 1-of-25 artisanal collectors manpads

like every single area of the military's had someone trying to break into it to make money since ww2 and once they get in they don't leave and they've gotten into everything at this point

i think there was a tipping point around the gulf war marketing where they surpassed the actual military influence altogether within the military and outside of it and there hasn't been a conflict demanding enough to force things to be more honest pretty much, everyone still thinks they can get their cut without it breaking the machine & they convince themselves it's an invincible god so they don't feel guilty about technically committing treason/sabotage for money

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

FirstnameLastname posted:

then the people they paid got too paid and started to influence who got hired to convert government funds into winning & replaced them with people who convert government funds into profit for those companies,

Well, that seems to encapsulate it, doesn't it?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hatebag posted:

it would be funny if stealth actually worked and then you'd have a bunch of stealth jets dogfighting with their machine guns

No, they'll transform into robot forms and fight with their fists.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/Nostrom0/status/1764767928812007863

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Well, that seems to encapsulate it, doesn't it?

i think concepts like "market disruption" also came into play
which is funny because when you're disrupting your own country's arms markets it almost becomes economic civil warfare fought by destroying the supply of effective but unprofitable military equipment, all through market forces

capitalism defangs militaries like AIDS ruins immune systems

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There needs to be a money effectiveness factor coefficient index

Money to buy food: 100% effectiveness

To buy food during disaster: 10%

To improve national infrastructure in a poor country: 100%

In a rich country: 20%

To improve national Olympic standing: 20%

To improve world cup standing: 2%

To win a war: 5%

Money doesn't do diddly squat to help you win a war!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The purpose of money is to convert wealth into an easy to steal form.