Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
That’s an awesome link, thanks. Might save me a bit of trial and error.

I don’t often miss websites autoplaying music but I’d excuse that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Ordered a bunch of stuff on Ali and had other stuff in my cart saved for later. The stuff I ordered was free shipping but now everything else is like 2-3$ each to ship. Guess I broke the system

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I got a tiny 7-11 and some mini streetlights, hooked it to a powerbank and turned a shelf into a lamp for my son.

It says it is 1/64, but it is really like 1/32, so not hot wheels sized but those pull back cars they sell in grocery stores sized.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805960643850.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.36.a0ac1802SyFEUR&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
https://www.temu.com/goods.html?_bg...r_page_sn=10045

I was so happy with it I ordered a Mcdoanlds, should be here by... well, who knows.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 6, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
^^^ both your photos and the ali photos don't give any sense of scale. I have no idea how big it is.

Is there any way to wire light to turn it on between 6pm to 9pm everyday? I know you can use battery power jar lights but I am lazy.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I got a tiny 7-11 and some mini streetlights, hooked it to a powerbank and turned a shelf into a lamp for my son.

It says it is 1/64, but it is really like 1/32, so not hot wheels sized but those pull back cars they sell in grocery stores sized.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805960643850.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.36.a0ac1802SyFEUR&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

I was so happy with it I ordered a Mcdoanlds, should be here by... well, who knows.

oh thats really cute i want one

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I love that as a lamp, I was looking at other scale model stuff and there’s some weird poo poo in that category. I mainly wanted to see if there was anything scaled for my notLego cars but I guess I need to build the scenery from more notLego but…

Wolf of Wall Street Margot Robbie
:nws: for the below, probably

Lara Croft stuck in a pipe

Velma & Scooby

Had my little reader for a couple of days now, seller switched it to english so all the important stuff is english, like the device menus are English, but the default apps are Chinese.

I was able to install fdroid, Aurora, Amazon app stores and then added kindle and koreader for reading, and einkbro for a browser. I do intend to connect to it using ADB appcontrol to remove the Chinese apps but I haven’t got to that yet. The whole thing is a little work setting up, also my first android device so maybe my learning curb is steeper than others but I didn’t expect it to iPhone easy.

Reading is good, light and temp adjustable, battery seems okay - when the screen is locked the battery will only move a percent or two, when reading it’s a bit faster but I haven’t really paid attention to the numbers. It is much lighter than my phone too - 115g according to the seller - so it feels like nothing.

I also modified the case to add a strap, I have one on my phone and I love it so much. I don’t have to always be holding, it can just hang on my fingers and it’s probably saved me from a few drops.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Ok but that is clearly Daphne though right?

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
ruh roh raphne

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I like that it has a hand strap for better ergonomic.

Is the soc inside fast enough to run tts software? My Teclast tablet has a unisoc T616 inside, I would consider it minimal speed to run tts app.

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

no bike rack? wtf?

KDdidit posted:

Ali bike stuff buyers: what parts can I reasonably buy and expect to work(ish) and what parts would I be insane to trust? Also, any accessory suggestions for a stock used hybrid?

Most of the tools and parts i've gotten from Ali work fine. I probably wouldn't trust aliexpress brake calipers, stems, saddles, carbon rims, or tires.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

LIterallyABikeshop posted:

no bike rack? wtf?

Most of the tools and parts i've gotten from Ali work fine. I probably wouldn't trust aliexpress brake calipers, stems, saddles, carbon rims, or tires.

I've had mixed results:

Tools:
usually great (bearing press sets, stubby ratcheting wrench for my fixie saddle bag, etc)

Clothes :
bibs (shithouse), jerseys (cheap but passable), gloves (crappy)

Carbon wheels
loving amazing. My tip is to avoid obvious counterfeit dealers, make sure it's just unbranded stuff. I even think the novatec hubs are amazing value, my $300 wheel set on my road bike has been going for years and has lasted far far longer than the Shimano aluminium set that came on the bike. The fixie 88mm rear wheel has been a commuting workhorse, although I killed the bearings with degreaser and had to press new ones in.

Stems:
Don't bother, got aluminium dressed up as carbon

Handlebars:
my daily fixie had AliExpress carbon aero basebar on it - absolutely great but it was an obvious factory second since the centerline printing & grippy section was off centre by about 5mm. Can't fault it for the price, but it survived heaps of abuse over ~6years and even a major crash.

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
Ill second that the bibs I have gotten from Ali have all sucked, the jerseys are obviously cheap and nothing even close to the fancy brands they are pretending to be but they work just fine

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

If you file a return you don't get the shipping back, huh? I bought a product that was a $1 but had $2.50 shipping. They sent the wrong one, but they'll only refund $1.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
And sacrifice to the god(s) of transport.

Also, poo poo I missed the little sale they just had, probably cost myself a fair bit as I’ve been waffling on my order. :(

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

no bike rack? wtf?

I bought a carbon seatpost and it was heavier than the alu one I planned to replace it with, it was super over-built. Probably perfectly fine but I didn't use it in the end. I have a chinese carbon wheelset too which I didn't buy from ali but I think they sell through them too (or did when I bought them 6-7 years ago). I think the company was called farsports and the wheels are good quality, I've put a lot of miles on them every summer since I got them and they're still going strong.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks to whoever posted the Neuromancer tshirt a while back, it rules.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I read a report on a boat fair, and the writer recommended getting retainers for glasses. I've had a rope swipe my glasses from my face once, already while sailing (luckily, they stayed inside the boat), so I finally did - just from AliExpress, not the £15/set ones that had been advertised at the fair. They just arrived, and seem perfectly adequate for the job. I got the "Adult 35mm" size, although I'm not sure what measurement the "35 mm" is referring to. They fit my glasses, which is the main thing.

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

kemikalkadet posted:

I bought a carbon seatpost and it was heavier than the alu one I planned to replace it with, it was super over-built. Probably perfectly fine but I didn't use it in the end. I have a chinese carbon wheelset too which I didn't buy from ali but I think they sell through them too (or did when I bought them 6-7 years ago). I think the company was called farsports and the wheels are good quality, I've put a lot of miles on them every summer since I got them and they're still going strong.

I guess my only real hesitation is the braking surface. I would probably be much more inclined to run carbon rims with disc brake hubs. I hear lots of great things about the reputable brands selling carbon rims on ali express surprisingly.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

kemikalkadet posted:

I think the company was called farsports and the wheels are good quality, I've put a lot of miles on them every summer since I got them and they're still going strong.

From memory farsports is an actual contract manufacturer of carbon bike stuff and their wheels are pretty good

Can't find the road wheel one I bought from (perhaps it was and eBay seller?) but the fixie wheel was from this seller but with a track hub
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqLNxW6

I guess my only real hesitation is the braking surface. I would probably be much more inclined to run carbon rims with disc brake hubs. I hear lots of great things about the reputable brands selling carbon rims on ali express surprisingly.

Its definitely where they skimp, but honestly I've put tens of thousands of km on my road set with the soft pencil eraser brake pads and they are just starting to show visible wear after 5ish years. Then again I don't do a lot of hill climbing and the braking performance sucks super hard.

My fixie doesn't have rear brakes so that wheel is basically brand new

norp fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 8, 2024

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The thing to remember is that most of the big manufacturers have a big or sole presence in taiwan, so manufactured parts are all made locally. I've never tried but you might even get real OEM parts buying Shimano mechanical parts from AliExpress because of that.

Most of the expensive bike clothing I have is made in Europe so unbranded and knockoff stuff isn't the same from china. Even the materials they use suck

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Daphne. I haven’t watched Scooby in a long time.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I like that it has a hand strap for better ergonomic.

Is the soc inside fast enough to run tts software? My Teclast tablet has a unisoc T616 inside, I would consider it minimal speed to run tts app.
I honestly don’t know poo poo about chips these days, sorry. The only details on the heart that I can find are below, I don’t know if that tells you anything and I don’t know if tts software would be just the hardware or a combination of hardware and software.

“The Xiaomi InkPalm Mini 5 Pro Edition is equipped with a quad-core 1.8GHz Quanzi processor. The mini e-reader has 1GB of RAM and supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity.”

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Did whoever that was ordering auto sound dampening stuff ever come back around? I cannot remember who it was.

I am slapping my little roll in a car I’m fixing up, it’s not nearly enough, but I am curious how the quality compares to the expensive stuff here.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I am slapping my little roll in a car I’m fixing up, it’s not nearly enough, but I am curious how the quality compares to the expensive stuff here.

Just don't do it where other people can see you.

Pervert.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DRINK ME posted:

Daphne. I haven’t watched Scooby in a long time.

I honestly don’t know poo poo about chips these days, sorry. The only details on the heart that I can find are below, I don’t know if that tells you anything and I don’t know if tts software would be just the hardware or a combination of hardware and software.

“The Xiaomi InkPalm Mini 5 Pro Edition is equipped with a quad-core 1.8GHz Quanzi processor. The mini e-reader has 1GB of RAM and supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity.”

I can't find any soc or benchmark info. It's probably way slower than usual android phones/tablets.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

MrUnderbridge posted:

Just don't do it where other people can see you.

Pervert.

:golfclap: I really lobbed that softball in there, didn’t I? I blame sleep deprivation.

Are there any Ali discounts right now? I saw some St. Patty’s ones yesterday, don’t know where the heck they went.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Any good sellers for coin cell batteries like 2032s that have a deceent amount of juice?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I'd love to see a picture of the McDonald's once you get it. Nice work on the 7-11 lamp, that rocks.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Any good sellers for coin cell batteries like 2032s that have a deceent amount of juice?

spend a little money to buy from a real distributor like digikey or mouser or element14. it’s still a crapton cheaper than going to the drugstore.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

That wifi ntp clock mechanism turned out to be pretty nice! I'm going to order a couple more. (link)
The original plan was to buy a cheap clock housing to put it in but I decided to print my own instead from https://www.printables.com/model/223365-vintage-roman-wall-clock

I want to replace the hands but it's tricky to get the tolerances just right for the friction fit.

[edit]
Found another seller that offers more hand styles here
There was also a review saying that it gets NTP from cn.ntp.org.cn so I can override that DNS entry in my router to point to a local NTP server instead.
I suspect it doesn't support automatic daylight savings time adjustment since China stopped using DST and has the same time all year.

r u ready to WALK fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 10, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
^^^ I got a wifi calibrated clock a while ago and I just couldn't get it to work. As for clock arms, you can buy them separately. I got some sets on Amazon. I just manually adjust for daylight saving time like a chump. Here is one I use on the cabinet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like Fallout merch is already starting to leak out

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006230313076.html

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Other than that American teenager pair is there even one living pair of conjoined twins this would fit?

E: turns out they're 34 and in a teaching career but my statement stands because I consider anyone younger than me to be a teen.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 10, 2024

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Has anyone done this “certified shopper” thing with AE? I’d like to think I’m special stupid but I wondered if it actually gives anything and what the process involves.

I’m about to buy a bunch more junk, so extra discounts wouldn’t go amiss.

Also gonna try some Hokas from DHgate, some people are saying they’re the exact same as the real thing so…

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

stephenthinkpad posted:

^^^ I got a wifi calibrated clock a while ago and I just couldn't get it to work. As for clock arms, you can buy them separately. I got some sets on Amazon. I just manually adjust for daylight saving time like a chump. Here is one I use on the cabinet.

what the gently caress

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

XYZAB posted:

what the gently caress

It looks like some sort of horrid Australian insect.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Echophonic posted:

It looks like some sort of horrid Australian insect.

Just for you.

https://i.imgur.com/rOnGIOj.mp4
https://imgur.com/rOnGIOj

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The dreaded Auzzie Clock Spider!

It feeds on Time Flies

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That clock is a minimalist's dream.

I saw those glasses retainers the other day and I'm like wait, I don't need that. Go to sit on the can just now and they fall right off my face, luckily I caught them.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

Why do you have some sort of 1970s sci fi robotic drone to film your horrifing insect clock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Was going to be proud that the maker of my $8 magsafe pop socket knew exactly what the customer wants (cat videos and always having at least one hand free), then I noticed that you can also directly suck on the magnetic shell.