Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

thinking to myself if I pull another straight weekend of playing I can wrap it up but also a new fortnite season is spinning up so I guess my long term goal would be, idk, at least 100% a non-hard mode playthrough before DD2 hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m finding Gongaga kind of a chore to navigate and it’s sapping my will to marathon it, think it’s gonna be an hour or two a couple of nights a week game now at least until I get out of the jungle.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's funny how when you activate a chocobo stop by propping the sign up, there's this giant slab of concrete on the bottom of the sign that, extremely obviously, goes INTO THE GROUD but instead he just kind of uprights the sign and leaves the entire concrete slab sticking out

Like, someone was asked to make the model for the chocobo sign and was told "the player will re-install these as part of activating the stop" and went, "ok cool then I'll make it like a real sign, with concrete to stabilize it undergound"

Then the dude who actually programmed the chocobo stops was like "Homie what the gently caress is concrete... idk ship it"

e: Don't worry little buddy! Totally fixed your sign!

Ytlaya posted:

Graphics mode runs fine (I think it's basically perfectly stable), but 30fps in any game with a rotatable camera is virtually unplayable on an OLED due to the super fast pixel response times. On other displays, the frames are sort of blurred together, but OLED's super high clarity and responsiveness works against it here.

I'm on a QD-OLED and it's fine as long as you have VRR enabled. Performance mode looks horrible imo

quote:

Not sure what's "blurry", I can see everything just fine

You must be sitting very far back from the screen if you really don't see any blur. It's crazy lovely looking, but you can kinda mitigate that by sitting far away from the panel. If you're sitting close enough to your TV for 4K to matter in the first place, then you would instantly understand what people were talking about re: bluriness

How big is your TV and how far away are you from it?

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 5, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mustang posted:

Graphics mode runs like dog poo poo, performance mode runs great and buttery smooth without any FPS drops. Not sure what's "blurry", I can see everything just fine.

I play on a 4k OLED TV.

People that play in graphics mode are insane.

Graphics mode runs fine (I think it's basically perfectly stable), but 30fps in any game with a rotatable camera is virtually unplayable on an OLED due to the super fast pixel response times. On other displays, the frames are sort of blurred together, but OLED's super high clarity and responsiveness works against it here.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

triple sulk posted:

Holy loving lmao the chicken quest

GOTY

They could have run, wild and free. And I....

I love that Red 13 is literally a dog, and he specifically calls out that losing focus when he spots a meal is his fatal flaw. Like a dog.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
How do you pressure Elder Golem for the combat objectives? Assess screen says he has finite energy which depletes when he attacks or takes damage and is pressured when it runs out, but this is clearly not the whole story because I ran down his entire health bar without him using his Recharge move (which I assume is refilling his energy) and he is never pressured.

Infuriatingly, I did manage to pressure him once on the first encounter but I have no idea how, and then he died on the hit that staggered him, which apparently doesn't count. Game design!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Harrow posted:

In case anyone's unaware, there's a spoiler thread if you want to get more in-depth about the story: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054682
Oh dope! I'll have to check this out.

Also, I played my first game of Fort Condor and Fort Condor sucks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

Remember to use the hero units. They charge by creating units of the same type.

This instantly makes the game go from "really frustrating/hard" to "pretty easy." I didn't use them for the first two matches because I didn't know how they worked and they weren't in Intermission's version of the minigame.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Morph is really annoying to use. Enemies have to be super low HP but at that HP it’s very easy for your teammates to accidentally kill them. Frog rings on my non-morph characters works I guess but since you can’t change equipment in combat it means morph is only good for farming specific enemies

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I kinda just brute forced my way through Fort Condor using the default “balanced” loadout, with Barrett and Tifa as my heroes. don’t plan on touching the hard mode any time soon.
Only real advice I can give is don’t send in units solo, wait that little bit extra so that you can give them at least one back-up unit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

Morph is really annoying to use. Enemies have to be super low HP but at that HP it’s very easy for your teammates to accidentally kill them. Frog rings on my non-morph characters works I guess but since you can’t change equipment in combat it means morph is only good for farming specific enemies

Is there anything you can only get with Morph? It's such a pain I haven't really bothered with it or Steal much yet. Though I guess maybe I should have Yuffie try to steal since she has some synergies with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is there anything you can only get with Morph? It's such a pain I haven't really bothered with it or Steal much yet. Though I guess maybe I should have Yuffie try to steal since she has some synergies with it.

Morph allows you to get the higher-rank beast stuff earlier than you can buy/reliably farm it, so it's nice for getting the upgraded armors earlier.

As far as I am aware there is nothing unique that can be Morphed and only one or two things that require Steal The Tonberry King's untarnished crown

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Harrow posted:

No but it’s good for getting rare materials

Steal is actually really good once leveled up to Mug. It does damage, refunds your ATB when it hits(which means you can spam it), and has a little AoE so you can steal from multiple enemies at once if they’re grouped up. Mug seems to have a lower success rate though

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Rageaholic posted:

Pro tip: change it to easy difficulty and profit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

No but it’s good for getting rare materials

Steal is actually really good once leveled up to Mug. It does damage, refunds your ATB when it hits(which means you can spam it), and has a little AoE so you can steal from multiple enemies at once if they’re grouped up. Mug seems to have a lower success rate though

Enemy Skill (Plasma) + Mug + Brumal Form + Blindside is a super hilarious combo on Yuffie because she just starts making GBS threads out so much electricity your PS5 dies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah I suppose it's worth actually trying to Steal and Morph sometimes then! Or at the very least make sure a Steal materia gets leveled up.

ImpAtom posted:

Enemy Skill (Plasma) + Mug + Brumal Form + Blindside is a super hilarious combo on Yuffie because she just starts making GBS threads out so much electricity your PS5 dies.

lol hell yes

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

I'm on a QD-OLED and it's fine as long as you have VRR enabled. Performance mode looks horrible imo

There is no VRR support in this game FYI, and VRR wouldn't smooth out TAA or upscaling issues on a 30fps game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ImpAtom posted:

Oh poo poo I didn’t even think to use it with Plasma discharge, that’s pretty busted.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

every time I’ve used morph I either got “enemy’s HP isn’t low enough” or the partner AI killed the enemy in the time it took me to cast the spell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Oh poo poo I didn’t even think to use it with Plasma discharge, that’s pretty busted.

Oh, it can get more hilariously busted. Enemy Skill + HP absorb for example gives you a massive HP regen every time it triggers, Doppleganger and Haste build ATB even faster it's just bonkers. Some of the Materia combos rival FF7 classic.

My personal favorite is
Synergy -> Comet on Aerith and then have her put down Radiant Ward. Since Comet has a long cast time Radiant Ward makes Aerith invincible for the entire time frame and it being tied to Synergy means there's no MP cost, so Aerith can just sit there raining meteors down on helpless enemies all day every day. Combine this with Yuffie (as mentioned above) or another fast ATB builder (Tifa or Cloud using Disorder) and it's comets all day every day.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does a Synergy spell cast twice if Aerith is in her Arcane ward?

And yeah I tried the Synergy-Comet combo in the demo but the issue I ran into was it’s hard to tell what the hell is going on with constant comet explosions

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, it can get more hilariously busted. Enemy Skill + HP absorb for example gives you a massive HP regen every time it triggers, Doppleganger and Haste build ATB even faster it's just bonkers. Some of the Materia combos rival FF7 classic.

My personal favorite is
Synergy -> Comet on Aerith and then have her put down Radiant Ward. Since Comet has a long cast time Radiant Ward makes Aerith invincible for the entire time frame and it being tied to Synergy means there's no MP cost, so Aerith can just sit there raining meteors down on helpless enemies all day every day. Combine this with Yuffie (as mentioned above) or another fast ATB builder (Tifa or Cloud using Disorder) and it's comets all day every day.

Arcane ward and radiant ward is a fun combo if you can get them both down, definitely easier on large bosses than stand still a lot more so you can get synergy skills pumping those ATB charges out.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Does doing Fort Condor hard mode even give you anything other than saying you beat it

The game also isn't immune to horrifying ragdoll accidents. Sorry to the grenadier who I shot off a balcony. His body fell to the ground, but his arm got stuck on the railing was stretched out by about 15 feet.

Red XIII suddenly entering "I want to see your manager" mode was great.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nelson Mandingo posted:

They could have run, wild and free. And I....

I love that Red 13 is literally a dog, and he specifically calls out that losing focus when he spots a meal is his fatal flaw. Like a dog.

The actual mini game mechanic sucked rear end and I was hating it, but the payoff at the end was 100% worth it. I lost my poo poo at the music

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Thundarr posted:

The game also isn't immune to horrifying ragdoll accidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X7iT_x3jgs

lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ytlaya posted:

Remember to use the hero units. They charge by creating units of the same type.

This instantly makes the game go from "really frustrating/hard" to "pretty easy." I didn't use them for the first two matches because I didn't know how they worked and they weren't in Intermission's version of the minigame.
I have been using hero units. I just keep running into the timer and losing the match :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Does a Synergy spell cast twice if Aerith is in her Arcane ward?

And yeah I tried the Synergy-Comet combo in the demo but the issue I ran into was it’s hard to tell what the hell is going on with constant comet explosions

Yep. The hardest part is getting AI Aerith to stay in the drat ward TBH. Radiant is large enough there's little issue but Arcane is small enough you basically need to manually reposition her then swap over and use another skill instantly.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Thundarr posted:

Does doing Fort Condor hard mode even give you anything other than saying you beat it

Apparently it gets you a collectible key item, and the game has implied to me that there is some sort of reward for getting enough of those collectibles (maybe all of them?)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bland posted:

Apparently it gets you a collectible key item, and the game has implied to me that there is some sort of reward for getting enough of those collectibles (maybe all of them?)

There is one (as well as an associated trophy) but it 150% is not worth the trouble.

It's the piano sheet music for One Winged Angel.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Playing at a snails pace. Only made it to the junon region after fully clearing out the grasslands because my gaming ocd demands all the checks be marked

Pros so far:
Game is pretty
Combat is fun
My party just barrels through all tables and chairs in their way. Seriously it sounds like there is a wrecking crew behind me lmao

Cons:
Shut the gently caress up Chadley

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

There is one (as well as an associated trophy) but it 150% is not worth the trouble.

Guess I'll be watching more YouTube videos of Fort Condor clears! Later, at least. I don't think this boat is going to be going back to Junon any time soon.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arkage posted:

Pro tip: change it to easy difficulty and profit.

this is the secret. go to the options and turn the battle system combat to easy and it affects Fort Condor.

The hard mode battles are significantly easier than the default difficulty normal mode battles this way.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ImpAtom posted:

Does it take 7 minutes to play too?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Last night I accidentally stayed up until 2:30 AM trying to beat the Queen's Blood Survival Boot Camp in the Gold Saucer

A+

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
christ almighty cait sith has a lot going on in his gameplay

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like I would rather play as aerith than cait sith. And that's a pretty dire statement for cait sith

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

poo poo I need to get this

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Cait Sith has a weird combat style but he feels pretty strong

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like I would rather play as aerith than cait sith. And that's a pretty dire statement for cait sith

There's not a single character in this game I don't like playing. Everyone scratches a different itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mustang posted:

Graphics mode runs like dog poo poo, performance mode runs great and buttery smooth without any FPS drops. Not sure what's "blurry", I can see everything just fine.

I play on a 4k OLED TV.

People that play in graphics mode are insane.

I'm playing on graphics mode on my A95K. It's great. Performance looks like the lens has been smeared with Vaseline. It's revolting.