Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

jjack229 posted:

I agree, I think that dodging i-frames are bad design. Using a dodge to move out of the line of fire quickly (and possibly with a smaller hot box) makes sense, but staying in the line of fire and using the i-frames to have the attack phase through you does seem like just another version of parry. (Also, not that these games are based on realism, but why would why a giant warhammer pass through my characters body with no damage just because they are curled up?)

But it feels like many games design around using dodge for the i-frames instead of repositioning (that is, the time from when the attack is signalled to when it lands and the reach of the attack is such that the player can't dodge out of the way and must dodge through it).

I respectfully disagree; I think you need invincibility frames in most dodge moves to make up for the fact that games only have canned animations with hitboxes/hurtboxes that don't really match at the best of times. I get where you guys are coming from and to be honest I agree on paper: it can obviously be done wrong, and dodging forward into gunfire and not getting hurt is silly, but if done right the i-frames are there to compensate for the fact that you might have wanted to slightly twist your torso to dodge a swing but the only thing you could do is roll 10 feet to either side, plus even if you did move your hitbox would still have to be an upright rectangle so you're getting hit anyway. I think DMC5 is an amazing example of i-frames done right; it has very specific timing and the animations lend a lot of credibility to your avoiding damage so it looks pretty good (and feels amazing).

I MAY be saying that mostly because FF7 Remake has a dodge with no i-frames and it's the worst feeling move in video game history.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skipping past all the compelling voice acting, quest writing and character development so I can gaze lovingly at the event log that says “the party gained 80 experience” and uninstalling the game as soon as the experience points stop

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Owl Inspector posted:

Skipping past all the compelling voice acting, quest writing and character development so I can gaze lovingly at the event log that says “the party gained 80 experience” and uninstalling the game as soon as the experience points stop

If the characters have something important to say I can just read about it on the gamefaqs page as I look up where to go for the next step of the quest.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CordlessPen posted:

I respectfully disagree; I think you need invincibility frames in most dodge moves to make up for the fact that games only have canned animations with hitboxes/hurtboxes that don't really match at the best of times. I get where you guys are coming from and to be honest I agree on paper: it can obviously be done wrong, and dodging forward into gunfire and not getting hurt is silly, but if done right the i-frames are there to compensate for the fact that you might have wanted to slightly twist your torso to dodge a swing but the only thing you could do is roll 10 feet to wither side, plus even if you did move your hitbox would still have to be an upright rectangle so you're getting hit anyway. I think DMC5 is an amazing example of i-frames done right; it has very specific timing and the animations lend a lot of credibility to your avoiding damage so it looks pretty good (and feels amazing).

Agreed. Everything in games starts out as abstract and even when lots of realism is added in, combat and fighting is still very much just an approximation. Unless the dodge move is built only to function as a way to get out of range of an enemy's reach, it should have i-frames to account for how one dodge move is really supposed to represent many forms of avoiding an attack.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

i-frames exist because it feels really good to avoid some 5,000 pound monster's broadsword attack with a slight dodge to the right, and nothing will ever change that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I-frames are why I got so bored with Elden Ring's combat. Once I realized the only thing that mattered was exploiting those, every fight devolved to the same strategy of running next to the monster and bonking it until I see it start to do an attack, then I just press the dodge button and then run up next to the monster to continue bonking. I never felt like I was employing any strategy, just rote memorization of each move. Didn't matter if the attack tracked me or if the enemy rotated 180 degrees to hit me from nowhere, because I just press the invincibility button and continue bonking.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone should make a nicer looking version of Progress Quest so I can accrue that sweet sweet EXP without getting stopped 20 minutes - 3 hours by a cutscene or dragged into a 3 minute side quest conversation.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CordlessPen posted:

I respectfully disagree; I think you need invincibility frames in most dodge moves to make up for the fact that games only have canned animations with hitboxes/hurtboxes that don't really match at the best of times. I get where you guys are coming from and to be honest I agree on paper: it can obviously be done wrong, and dodging forward into gunfire and not getting hurt is silly, but if done right the i-frames are there to compensate for the fact that you might have wanted to slightly twist your torso to dodge a swing but the only thing you could do is roll 10 feet to either side, plus even if you did move your hitbox would still have to be an upright rectangle so you're getting hit anyway.
BRB writing a game with no iframes where all dodges are combat somersaults that swap out your rectangular hitbox for a small hitsphere.

e: there will also be a larger hitsphere which triggers a badass animation of you backflipping off the attack instead of taking damage.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Mar 5, 2024

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

CordlessPen posted:

I respectfully disagree; I think you need invincibility frames in most dodge moves to make up for the fact that games only have canned animations with hitboxes/hurtboxes that don't really match at the best of times. I get where you guys are coming from and to be honest I agree on paper: it can obviously be done wrong, and dodging forward into gunfire and not getting hurt is silly, but if done right the i-frames are there to compensate for the fact that you might have wanted to slightly twist your torso to dodge a swing but the only thing you could do is roll 10 feet to either side, plus even if you did move your hitbox would still have to be an upright rectangle so you're getting hit anyway. I think DMC5 is an amazing example of i-frames done right; it has very specific timing and the animations lend a lot of credibility to your avoiding damage so it looks pretty good (and feels amazing).

I MAY be saying that mostly because FF7 Remake has a dodge with no i-frames and it's the worst feeling move in video game history.

I can see the argument for i-frames allowing the character to avoid a hit that they could realistically avoid in the context of the game (like dodging a sword) but can't be easily be animated. Part of my issue is when it allows avoiding being hit by something that they should not be able to avoid (e.g. firebreath from a dragon or an explosion, where the character has not moved out of range of the attack, they are just invincible as the attack passes through them). The not being "realistic" part makes it seem silly, but my actual issue is that it allows developers to go down the path of giving monsters attacks that are unavoidable except for using dodge i-frames. It starts to feel almost like a QTE without an onscreen prompt; you have to hit a specific button at a specific time or you take massive damage.

I bought the FF7 Remake the other week when it was on sale and plan to get to it soon, so I maybe I will be singing a different tune once I try that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The FF7 Remakes have absolute dogshit dodges, and it's fuckin remarkable how it looks like a normal dodge, but it's only a maneuver to get hit in the face with

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Leave posted:

The FF7 Remakes have absolute dogshit dodges, and it's fuckin remarkable how it looks like a normal dodge, but it's only a maneuver to get hit in the face with

On-brand for Cloud.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Tooling around in Soulstone Survivors and I’m getting to the point where I’m at curse level 3 or 4.

At this point bosses are becoming tricky not because of their damage or HP, but because I can’t really hit them all that consistently. I’m using the auto-aim mode that targets the closest enemy, but there are so many enemies with so much hp that you need to get right up next to to boss to hit them with your mono-directional stuff. I’m on a laptop so manual aiming is awkward and getting close to the boss is always a good way to get hit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bifner McDoogle posted:

It actually rules that a thorough player can hit lvl 12 early in act 3, because it means there is a huge chunk of the game where the player can feel free to respec their character and experiment with the insane build variety. If you've kept your eyes peeled you'll probably have collected a bunch of armor sets for different builds. It is extremely cool to be able to try them out without needing to dedicate myself to another playthrough.

The main thing that drug down BG3 for me was using a summoner build. The hitboxes near launch were complete nonsense and my cursor would randomly decide I was targeting my summoned fire elementals so frequently that I would accidentally attack one almost every fight. It made a build that felt totally overpowered into the weakest because it was impossible to use reliably. Really the love the game but man that launch version was clearly still cooking.

I respecced my whole party like four times in act 3, except the oathbreaker paladin which is a pain in the rear end to respec if you want them to stay an oathbreaker because you have to pay to unbreak your oath, respec, then commit another crime which depending on your oath can vary from simple thievery to murdering the wrong type of dude or not murdering the right type of dude. Also during my wrap-up I killed the oathbreaker knight guy just to see if you could get his armour (you can't, but IIRC a similar looking set is scattered across the game as a grey trash tier set of items.) and unsurprisingly once you do that you can't unbreak your oath anymore.

The hitboxes being fucky was an issue up to when I finished the game though, sometimes it was insanely hard to just click on the spot you wanted when trying to move or attack and poo poo, I hope the updates have fixed that up.

Morpheus posted:

I-frames are why I got so bored with Elden Ring's combat. Once I realized the only thing that mattered was exploiting those, every fight devolved to the same strategy of running next to the monster and bonking it until I see it start to do an attack, then I just press the dodge button and then run up next to the monster to continue bonking. I never felt like I was employing any strategy, just rote memorization of each move. Didn't matter if the attack tracked me or if the enemy rotated 180 degrees to hit me from nowhere, because I just press the invincibility button and continue bonking.

While the dodging was always like that in the souls games, it got noticeably more crazy in Dark Souls 3 where stamina regen made it so you could just kind of dodge forever basically, and that carried over to elden ring for sure. It did, however, introduce a new PVP playstyle where you could just dodge roll until the invader timed out and they got mad about it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Leave posted:

FF7R mostly expects you to block except for abilities that have a big windup or explicitly have the big 'unblockable' alert.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FYI they greatly increased the dodge animation speed in FF7 Rebirth but it's only meant for repositioning and dodging unblockables and AOE attacks like in FF14 for example.

Some enemies become vulnerable to stagger if you dodge their unblockables but it's not like Dark Souls where you roll into enemies.

Blocking is still your primary defence and perfect blocking nullifies damage 100% to emphasize this.

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Mar 6, 2024

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

jjack229 posted:

I can see the argument for i-frames allowing the character to avoid a hit that they could realistically avoid in the context of the game (like dodging a sword) but can't be easily be animated. Part of my issue is when it allows avoiding being hit by something that they should not be able to avoid (e.g. firebreath from a dragon or an explosion, where the character has not moved out of range of the attack, they are just invincible as the attack passes through them). The not being "realistic" part makes it seem silly, but my actual issue is that it allows developers to go down the path of giving monsters attacks that are unavoidable except for using dodge i-frames. It starts to feel almost like a QTE without an onscreen prompt; you have to hit a specific button at a specific time or you take massive damage.

I'm not sure how one dude with a short sword would ever kill a fire breathing dragon outside of that one ds3 gimmick boss.

Even something like the taurus demon. Just turning around normally and brushing the player character would be enough to knock down or outright kill the player.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

A sense of growing character strength is a pretty fundamental part of how video games do RPGs so it isn't surprising that some people dislike a low level cap.

Me, it's me, I'm some people.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I picked up Blood West because it calls itself an immersive stealth FPS. It's pretty good! The level design is fun, the stealth works well most of the time, and your direct combat options, while powerful, are limited enough that it's satisfying to use stealth to get rid of stuff efficiently.

And then it added a bunch of monsters that you cannot stealth-kill because they're wearing outhouses. And big monsters that just sort of laugh at the backstab you just spent minutes slowly sneaking around for and then kill you in two hits.

Hey, guess what mechanic just completely isn't involved in fighting the first real boss? Guess what's just a big stupid firefight in a big flat arena, hope you didn't bring your weak stealth weapons you idiot?

Why do stealth games keep having sections without stealth? It's always the worst poo poo, in exactly the way stealth sections in non-stealth games are.

I will not be finishing Blood West.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Trick Question posted:

And then it added a bunch of monsters that you cannot stealth-kill because they're wearing outhouses. And big monsters that just sort of laugh at the backstab you just spent minutes slowly sneaking around for and then kill you in two hits.

I had similar stealth frustration with rear end creed Odyssey. Spend ages sneaking around getting in position to kill someone and OOPS your gear ain't good enough now you get to fight a whole fort

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's a point in Odyssey where it becomes easier to fight the entire fort instead of being stealthy

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Late game "stealth" is ludicrously overpowered in AC:Odyssey because if you spec and gear for it you get a button that lets you teleport around and kill 5 people before they can react for basically no resources.

It's not mechanically interesting but it is strong.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Add to that the ability that removes corpses and you can basically kill a fort in the blink of an eye without anyone knowing you were there.

Thread appropriate: I don't like the loot system in AC Odyssey. It's just a hassle to have a flood of weapons and armor, especially once you've found stuff you like and fits your playstyle.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ms Adequate posted:

A sense of growing character strength is a pretty fundamental part of how video games do RPGs so it isn't surprising that some people dislike a low level cap.

Me, it's me, I'm some people.

Yeah but like exquisite tea said, the level cap isn't actually where you stop growing more powerful because there's sick loot to be found after that. The problem is what constitutes a low level because I imagine many players aren't hitting the cap until late in Act 3, if at all, if they aren't as completionist as others.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Adventures in D&D 5e don't often go above level 12, so it's not surprising that BG3 follows suit. Things start to get a little out of hand regarding player abilities and I imagine it'd be hard to keep that in hand in a video game context.

I'm someone who hates reaching the max level and getting nothing to show for it - Horizon, Spider-Man 2, those kinds of open-world games where doing stuff feels a little hollow without reward from it. But in BG3 the naturally low max level, fancy equipment, combined with narrative rewards makes me feel fine with hitting max. It's not like there are really random fights scattered around with no purpose except to feed you xp.

I do kind of wish that max level was reached just a little further into Act 3, rather than near the beginning like where I hit it, but, eh.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Philippe posted:

Add to that the ability that removes corpses and you can basically kill a fort in the blink of an eye without anyone knowing you were there.

Thread appropriate: I don't like the loot system in AC Odyssey. It's just a hassle to have a flood of weapons and armor, especially once you've found stuff you like and fits your playstyle.

Yeah the gear system sucks so bad, particularly with the levelling system

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Splicer posted:

Sounds like a no-win situation. Have you considered cheating?

A real Kobyashi-Mariner situation

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Big same for me on that. Towards the last third of the game I'd gotten pretty bored with the combat and just cheated myself a bunch of respec materials to try out all the weapon types I hadn't until then, and was pretty disappointed to find that the choice of build/weapon made very little difference in how I'd have to approach a fight. Against any non-trash enemy the (melee) combat always boiled down learning the enemy moveset by heart, hitting the dodge at the right point, and then getting some damage in during their recovery. Whether that damage is then delivered via a few quick spear stabs or a big hammer bonk felt like a borderline cosmetic difference.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Returnal:
Been playing through it with a friend, finally found some weapons I actually like in act 2 and 3. Finished act 3, and... that's it? No indication of how to proceed whatsoever. I can tell it's not the end of the game, but I have no idea how to proceed. We look it, up, and You have to find 6 individual items, hidden randomly with one in each biome, and then kill the final boss again to unlock the ending. These items don't spawn unless you've done everything you can in the Old House, which can't be done in co-op. Guess we're not finishing that game anytime soon.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Returnal had so many cool ideas and tight minute-to-minute gameplay coupled with the core problem of being unfun as a whole.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
I complained about the weapons all being unfun to use months ago in the thread, and with a couple of exceptions I'll stick by that. the pylon driver is hilarious and a good time, the sticky grenade launcher (why are there like four different grenade launchers?) was alright, and the boomerang gun was neat in concept but absolute trash to use against bosses. Most of the enemies are perfectly fine, with a few exceptions - the ones that can teleport behind you with no warning, and the ones with those goddamn AOE rings that pass through all terrain. They like to spam them, too. There's a giant ball enemy that I dreaded running into because it was just a question of if I could shoot it from far enough away that it couldn't spam the entire room with circles of pain.

EDIT: And the active item that disables all turrets in an area doesn't affect the giant eye laser turrets, for some reason. Which is a shame, because normal turrets are literally never a threat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Adventures in D&D 5e don't often go above level 12, so it's not surprising that BG3 follows suit. Things start to get a little out of hand regarding player abilities and I imagine it'd be hard to keep that in hand in a video game context.

I'm someone who hates reaching the max level and getting nothing to show for it - Horizon, Spider-Man 2, those kinds of open-world games where doing stuff feels a little hollow without reward from it. But in BG3 the naturally low max level, fancy equipment, combined with narrative rewards makes me feel fine with hitting max. It's not like there are really random fights scattered around with no purpose except to feed you xp.

I do kind of wish that max level was reached just a little further into Act 3, rather than near the beginning like where I hit it, but, eh.

they could have done some compromise method with diminishing returns, where xp turns into extra feats beyond level 12 or something

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Less Fat Luke posted:

Returnal had so many cool ideas and tight minute-to-minute gameplay coupled with the core problem of being unfun as a whole.

It has the problem where… at the very least the early maps, possibly the whole game suck at telegraphing the way forward so you just feel lost a lot of the time. It nails the mood/atmosphere but the navigation reminded me of Dark Forces II.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I think whoever added the glider to Horizon Forbidden West forgot to tell the rest of the development team. None of the platforming or exploring utilizes it. The cliffs still have repel points from the first game like I'm not just going to jump off and glide towards the next point of interest. I was just exploring a cave and Aloy said out loud, "maybe if i jump far enough, I can hookshot my way to that ledge." Then I proceeded to glide to the ledge

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Aloy giving the player hints out loud is the thing that turned me off the first horizon. I'll probably finish em both one day BC the story seems dope and a lot of the gameplay issues I have with them are kind of my issue rather than an endemic problem but it's incredibly immersion breaking for me to just have aloy think out loud about what I should be doing and imo shows a lack of faith in their game design

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Aloy giving the player hints out loud is the thing that turned me off the first horizon. I'll probably finish em both one day BC the story seems dope and a lot of the gameplay issues I have with them are kind of my issue rather than an endemic problem but it's incredibly immersion breaking for me to just have aloy think out loud about what I should be doing and imo shows a lack of faith in their game design

Me too but these AAA games are made for people who might not have played any videogame before in their life.

A lot of stuff is "gamer institutional knowledge" and some people need to be literally told what the game is and what's the next set of steps to perform.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lobok posted:

Yeah but like exquisite tea said, the level cap isn't actually where you stop growing more powerful because there's sick loot to be found after that. The problem is what constitutes a low level because I imagine many players aren't hitting the cap until late in Act 3, if at all, if they aren't as completionist as others.

Unfortunately I really don't like gearing as the primary means of progression, not sure why but I have never vibed with it. It's a big part of why I'm always rerolling in ARPGs, endgame is rarely something I bother with in an MMO, and I straight up dislike the Monster Hunter series even though I recognize its quality. Big thing that drags games down consistently for me (but BG3 is a rare case where the game is strong enough that I don't mind)

On the other hand give me something where the level cap is stupid high or essentially infinite and I'm as happy as a pig in poo poo. Elder Scrolls, Star Ocean 2, Diablo 3, that's crack for me.

E;

Vic posted:

Me too but these AAA games are made for people who might not have played any videogame before in their life.

A lot of stuff is "gamer institutional knowledge" and some people need to be literally told what the game is and what's the next set of steps to perform.

They should make it a button press imo, if you aren't seeing the solution hit it and Aloy (or Kratos or Lara or whoever) will pipe up. Then everyone gets to control for themselves if and when they chime in with hints.

Ms Adequate has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Mar 7, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vic posted:

I genuinely like that game devs account for the fact that ANY game can be someone’s first, let alone someone’s first open world stealth game like AAA game Horizon can be, but at the same time they can just relegate that poo poo to a difficulty setting.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I somehow managed to get turned around in ff16 a LOT so I made a lot of use of the press r3 to show you where to go, but it's just annoying to have it pop off constantly

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

The level design's not too bad, it's kind of fun to explore, but the Pacific Island levels in Tomb Raider 3 are super racist.

One of the most cringe levels in video game history. The native "savages" are just defending their territory with Spears and you, a British person, are tasked with machine gunning them dead for this offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

One of the most cringe levels in video game history. The native "savages" are just defending their territory with Spears and you, a British person, are tasked with machine gunning them dead for this offense*

*and stealing their priceless artefacts!

probably the most accurate depiction of british archaeology tbh