Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
A lobbying firm finally simplifying that Arizona race a little, thankfully. Their new hire will be great I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
"Am I out of touch? No, it's the voters who are wrong."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Feel bad for the winery tour she takes her anguish out on.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Huh I was like 100% sure she would run. Even if she didn’t put much effort into the campaign it seemed like a great way to send one last gently caress you to the people who elected her.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Sinema has successfully transferred the curse she was laboring under onto Fetterman, and can now be free again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

f

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I for one will miss her marketing team posting a photo of her riding and bike and saying the dumb old Biden administration can't even begin to understand what this wine drinking, cyclist dynamo is planning. (Answer it was nothing helpful ever).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

selec posted:

Sinema has successfully transferred the curse she was laboring under onto Fetterman, and can now be free again

Fetterman is just poo poo talking on issues (that he campaigned on being an rear end in a top hat on, so not a huge surprise or reversal) and not actually blocking anything or promising to defend the filibuster to the death.

Different curse, but much better than Sinema. I don't think anyone currently serving is positioned to take up her mantle now that she and Manchin are going to be gone. Tester on certain issues, maybe.

That Sinema video is literally a Simpsons punchline:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 5, 2024

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
is a one term senator who had to stand aside for being a dipshit going to even get lucrative lobbying gigs? (of course she'll earn more in a year than i will in a decade, but in the scheme of these things it how is she not worth peanuts?)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

. I don't think anyone currently serving is positioned to take up her mantle now that she and Manchin are going to be gone. Tester on a certain issues, maybe.

No worries the senate will just be 52-48 [R]

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

is a one term senator who had to stand aside for being a dipshit going to even get lucrative lobbying gigs? (of course she'll earn more in a year than i will in a decade, but in the scheme of these things it how is she not worth peanuts?)

It's not like she was all that influential either. I doubt she built much of a network worth lobbying with.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Fetterman is just poo poo talking on issues (that he campaigned on being an rear end in a top hat on, so not a huge surprise or reversal) and not actually blocking anything or promising to defend the filibuster to the death.

Different curse, but much better than Sinema. I don't think anyone currently serving is positioned to take up her mantle now that she and Manchin are going to be gone. Tester on certain issues, maybe.

That Sinema video is literally a Simpsons punchline:

also fetterman is also from Westen PA, its the opposite of Dearborn Michigan on the issue so he isnt losing any popularity here for it and will have the seat as long as he wants it. I dont agree with him on that issue but he mostly keeps party line for beter or worse.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 5, 2024

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
“I believe in compromise and working together. Not with my own party or the voters who elected me, but with someone, somewhere I’m sure”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Oh she will absolutely go be a lobbyist

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cimber posted:

It's not like she was all that influential either. I doubt she built much of a network worth lobbying with.

she did publicly go to bat for hedge funds, so i'm sure they'll give her some kind of sinecure. is there anyone on the hill who would be happy to have her bob in?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sinema is more likely to get a board appointment somewhere either based in Arizona or one in DC that wants someone famous on the board and will pay for it.

She's probably not going to become a prominent lobbyist because you have to either know people/can influence people or you have to be an attorney to get a cushy "technically non-lobbyist Government Relations" Counsel position.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 5, 2024

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

E: wrong thread again!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh she will absolutely go be a lobbyist

She's going to join No Labels and talk about how awful it is that no one listens to common sense ideas.

Main Paineframe posted:

Finishing in third place for her own Senate seat would have been a death knell to any kind of relevance she could ever expect to have. Given how dire her polling numbers are, it makes sense to save herself the humiliation and pretend she's bowing out on her own terms.

It allows her to still have in roads with the Democratic party too. She didn't nuke the party, she decided not to run and didn't hurt anyone.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Anno posted:

Huh I was like 100% sure she would run. Even if she didn’t put much effort into the campaign it seemed like a great way to send one last gently caress you to the people who elected her.

Finishing in third place for her own Senate seat would have been a death knell to any kind of relevance she could ever expect to have. Given how dire her polling numbers are, it makes sense to save herself the humiliation and pretend she's bowing out on her own terms.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Sinema is going to live a life of relative comfort, but outside of a sinecure she's not going to have any real influence. She has nothing to show for her time in the senate, annoyed a lot of her colleagues 2021-2022, and failed to get the border security bill that she was championing as her hail mary through the process. If she had done almost literally anything different she'd have a second term and continue to be one of the most powerful people in the world.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Sinemas collapse is sortof interesting because it's somewhat accepted general "wisdom" that what politicians vote for doesn't really matter any more and people just vote to support their team.

But sinema managed to piss off *everybody* even the vast "independent" hordes who seem to be otherwise wholly incapable of connecting political cause and effect.

It's impressive in a weird way. People who still haven't realized Trump will be on the ballot next election managed to realize sinema was awful. How?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sinemas collapse is sortof interesting because it's somewhat accepted general "wisdom" that what politicians vote for doesn't really matter any more and people just vote to support their team.

But sinema managed to piss off *everybody* even the vast "independent" hordes who seem to be otherwise wholly incapable of connecting political cause and effect.

It's impressive in a weird way. People who still haven't realized Trump will be on the ballot next election managed to realize sinema was awful. How?

most people dont follow politics that much, we and people we repost are the exception. the only reason my parents know trumps winning is because they watch the nightly news and have me as failson. like i said upthread, the next couple weeks might change stuff somewhat.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

I think Sinema is a bit unique because she deliberately spited and undermined her own team, and then bragged about it a lot. And then quit said team in a huff when everyone hated her for it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Main Paineframe posted:

Eh maybe? Doing so while getting another (R) elected - which seemed very possible - I would think would be 100% what her future employers would want.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

most people dont follow politics that much, we and people we repost are the exception. the only reason my parents know trumps winning is because they watch the nightly news and have me as failson. like i said upthread, the next couple weeks might change stuff somewhat.

Right! Yet somehow Sinema managed to absolutely crater her polling despite that wall of ignorance and inattention. How?!??

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean that footage of her giving a cutesy thumbs down to the minimum wage was played a *lot*.

She made herself the face of killing anything progressive that lost Biden the house in '22. She just made it really easy to recognize and hate a gleeful wrecker.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
She put a lot of work into piercing that comfortable ignorance and building a rep with the voters. Unfortunately it was not the rep she thought she was building

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

She thought she could be the new John McCain, not realizing that politics has changed a lot since McCain was relevant, and also not realizing that for all of his ‘Maverick’ talk McCain still voted 99% for what the party wanted.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

It allows her to still have in roads with the Democratic party too. She didn't nuke the party, she decided not to run and didn't hurt anyone.

Yeah, not sure that is really a thing TBH. She's pissed off pretty much all of the democratic activists with her juicy thumbs down on raising the federal minimum wage.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Kalli posted:

I mean that footage of her giving a cutesy thumbs down to the minimum wage was played a *lot*.

She made herself the face of killing anything progressive that lost Biden the house in '22. She just made it really easy to recognize and hate a gleeful wrecker.

Yep. She was doing it to mimic John McCain maverickly preventing Obamacare from being destroyed.

But she did it in the service of being openly and blatantly evil and instead of getting Independent cred it just made everyone despise her.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Right! Yet somehow Sinema managed to absolutely crater her polling despite that wall of ignorance and inattention. How?!??

because she didnt help her constituents and take any sides or anything. she tried to mccain poo poo but without 1. doing something decent and 2. having a likable personality. as others have said, the manic pixie austeiry girl poo poo sank her.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
May she end up as loving carny trash running a broken-down Tilt-a-Whirl while sucking down four packs of generic smokes a day and reliving all the loving tee-hees forever in her mind while she's mopping the puke out of the only thing she has left.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Mooseontheloose posted:

She's going to join No Labels and talk about how awful it is that no one listens to common sense ideas.

Common sense ideas like *fart* and *burp*

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JonathonSpectre posted:

May she end up as loving carny trash running a broken-down Tilt-a-Whirl while sucking down four packs of generic smokes a day and reliving all the loving tee-hees forever in her mind while she's mopping the puke out of the only thing she has left.

Bad news.

She's going to continue being a professor at ASU and probably supplement that income with a low to mid six-figure job sitting on the board of the Arizona Chapter of the Business Roundtable. Despite not achieving her dream of becoming the first female President of the United States, she will most likely live a very comfortable life and be surrounded by people telling her she was totally right for the rest of her career.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because she didnt help her constituents and take any sides or anything. she tried to mccain poo poo but without 1. doing something decent and 2. having a likable personality. as others have said, the manic pixie austeiry girl poo poo sank her.

Right. I mean, I know why she's awful. What I don't know is how she managed to get down to 20% in the polling. Nobody *ever* goes that low once they have name recognition.

She wasn't just horrible she managed to get the dont-pay-attentions to notice how horrible she was.

Which means either she did something unique, or else the "voters aren't paying attention at all, to anything, statistically speaking" thesis is wrong.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Kchama posted:

Yep. She was doing it to mimic John McCain maverickly preventing Obamacare from being destroyed.

But she did it in the service of being openly and blatantly evil and instead of getting Independent cred it just made everyone despise her.

I know I know it's John McCain, but he did the Maverick thing right. Even though he voted with Republicans over 90% of the time (and a war hawk), he would stake a semi-popular across-the-aisle position every now and then. Campaign finance reform, cap and trade, voting down ACA repeal. Stuff like that. Finally, he'd capitalize the poo poo out of it. Kyrsten wanted to mimic it but did not understand at all how it worked. She just thought MaverickTM meant randomly voting against your own party without rhyme or reason.

I'm truly surprised she allowed her ego to overpower her poo poo political instincts.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Voters are less forgiving of women when they do carnie poo poo. Look how quickly Sarah Palin was relegated to the fringe once everyone realized she was/is a giant piece of poo poo.

I think Sarah was just "ahead of her time". She'd be side-by-side with Trump right now if she didn't flame out so early.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Voters are less forgiving of women when they do carnie poo poo. Look how quickly Sarah Palin was relegated to the fringe once everyone realized she was/is a giant piece of poo poo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Right. I mean, I know why she's awful. What I don't know is how she managed to get down to 20% in the polling. Nobody *ever* goes that low once they have name recognition.

She wasn't just horrible she managed to get the dont-pay-attentions to notice how horrible she was.

Which means either she did something unique, or else the "voters aren't paying attention at all, to anything, statistically speaking" thesis is wrong.

They do in 3-way races.

Very few Republicans were going to vote for her, very few Democrats were going to vote for her, and many independents actually lean strongly in one direction and expressed that they would continue to vote for a nominee from their preferred party. They didn't have to pay much attention at all for that to happen.

It was basically about what you expect when someone goes independent and receives a strong challenge from both parties. Sinema bet that her situation wouldn't be typical because she was special, but she was wrong. At the same time, while she wasn't performing great, the end result was basically exactly what you would expect for any generic person regardless of her personal qualities. This was more of a situation where she wasn't special at all rather than her being uniquely terrible (even though she is from our perspective).

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
John McCain did the maverick thing because he was actually a maverick: he was born into immense wealth and influence that coddled him from the consequences of most of his actions, but developed a scrap of personal integrity that surfaced at key moments throughout his life. Sinema tried to do the maverick thing because she believed that bucking conventional wisdom and following her gut was the way to be successful, but it turns out her gut was filled with shameless ambition and about as useful for navigation as calipers without a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

its more like alot of voters think trump wont be on the ballot or that the GOP isnt insane or whatever. sinema also was just a weird rear end in a top hat and didnt help anyone in the party so she sank.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

this too.