Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I'm celiac and have had to awkwardly say no to a lot of very sweet and kind baked gifts :(

It breaks my heart because so often it's someone who put a lot of effort into trying to give me a gift or say thank you for something.

I bet you learned how to politely decline though. "I really appreciate you making this for me, but I have celiacs. I know someone at home who would absolutely love it. Do you mind if I give it to them?"

Or do you smack it out of their hand, "are you trying to loving kill me?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Have you looked at them under a microscope or something? How do you know they aren't getting ruptured?

Because some people have specialized knowledge that you do not, in this case, botany

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Corky have you ever considered that maybe you just don't like fruit?

I’m drinking a berry smoothie right now you presumptuous motherfucker.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

'berry' the fruit haters fruit
'smoothie' the fruit haters fruit conveyance

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Corky have you ever considered that maybe you just don't like fruit?

It is OK to not like things and it is also OK to express your opinion about those things. Even if you're wrong. It's pretty clear here that Pope Corky is not wrong so as they understand it and their wrongness is so socially acceptable as to not be wrong.

Some people just don't like some things? Restrictions inspire creativity.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

First banana bread, now raisins. I'm disappointed in all of you.

I would simply eat the banana before it turns into a frozen sludge, and eat the grapes before they have the moisture siphoned out of them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DangerDongs posted:

I bet you learned how to politely decline though. "I really appreciate you making this for me, but I have celiacs. I know someone at home who would absolutely love it. Do you mind if I give it to them?"

I coldly say "no thank you" and turn back to my work computer, ignoring them. Then sit depressed eating alone. Why am I always alone...

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Bananas are berries and yet you hold such hatred in your heart for their bread, curious.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lone Goat posted:

I would simply eat the banana before it turns into a frozen sludge, and eat the grapes before they have the moisture siphoned out of them.

See? This here goat gets it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Mr Teatime posted:

Bananas are berries and yet you hold such hatred in your heart for their bread, curious.

I like blueberry muffins.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

All the people itt that like raisins in baked goods are horrible and going to hell.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Entorwellian posted:

All the people itt that like raisins in baked goods are horrible and going to hell.

Raisins in bran muffins are the bomb.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Entorwellian posted:

I really like oatmeal raisin cookies, but am I also horrible and going to hell regardless, so I feel like the stakes in this bout are pretty much imaginary for me.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Raisins are really good in a lot of things. stuffing, chicken salads (grapes too), chutney, tons of savory dishes have them

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for telling a married woman her marriage sounds miserable? (USA)

quote:

I (45F) attended a wedding a few weeks ago when a cousin (55F) was talking about how she wishes I would marry. I’ve heard the struggles of her marriage (she cheated he took her back, they do everything he wants, she’s given up her hobbies and learned to enjoy his, he controls the money, and she works PT and she could never afford to live on her own, etc) and for 20 years I’ve heard how I should get married. I’ve always said it’s not a priority and if it happens it happens.

I’ve repeatedly said throughout the years I enjoy being single, I’ve been proposed to multiple times and I like living life on my terms. I can embrace my hobbies (which are expensive), have a great job, live on my own, have great friends, I travel, and I’ve had great LTRs. My life is full. I’ve been financially independent since I was 22 (she has never been financially independent). The entire family knows I’m generous with my time and money (whether it’s a gift or helping somebody out financially without expecting repayment - electricity, groceries, school expenses, etc). Marriage has NEVER been a priority to me.

I finally had it with the comments and her not respecting my life. I finally told her I respect her opinions but I felt like her marriage was that of convenience and sounds absolutely miserable to me. I would die a slow death if I was in a marriage like hers - all of which is true. I like being able to make my own decisions and if the right person comes along it’s fine but that it’s not a goal of mine (never has been). The look of shock on her face said it all.

She didn’t care for that and is painting me out to be mean. After 20 years of comments and pressure I finally said what needed to be said to get the comments to stop. She couldn’t fathom that somebody wouldn’t want to have her life and to me it sounds like a prison sentence. She also can’t fathom somebody could be happy living my life.

So AITA?
UPDATE: more on her audacity. She called me an hour ago bitching me out because I offered to give my 2nd car to my brother’s daughter for her 16th birthday since I never drive it (my niece posted on social media thanking me for being so generous). She wanted to know why I wouldn’t offer it to her kid who is in college and “needs it more” than my niece. I simply told her it’s my decision what I do with my car and that my niece and I are close. She went on for 20 minutes before I bluntly said “it’s my car and my choice of what to do with it. Deal with it.” Then I hung up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DangerDongs posted:

I've got food allergies and no matter how politely you try to phrase it some people take it as a personal attack or have no way to communicate other than food so they will keep trying to make that work.

When my dad died my family said "we have one person with allergies, one with gluten issues, we all keep kosher... we know you all care but please let us worry about food ourselves." It did not work. Lasagnas with wheat noodles, a pie baked with lard, homemade GF bread using their same flour-caked mixer... everybody was so caught up in what they were "supposed" to do that they didn't actually listen. Our rabbi practically had a breakdown that we didn't want him to bring anything, and insisted on bringing a different kind of squash every night of Shiva.

Fortunately my family has a dark sense of humor so we laugh at all of them these days, but it was frustrating in the moment. Some folks will bend over backwards to be accommodating of any need except "I need you to accept that I don't want you to do anything."

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Entorwellian posted:

Christmas cake is the top tier of cakes and if you try and tell me it’s dry I’m here to tell you that you hosed up.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr Teatime posted:

Christmas cake is the top tier of cakes and if you try and tell me it’s dry I’m here to tell you that you hosed up.
Are you talking about fruitcake? I've never heard it called "christmas cake"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Well then it clearly doesn't exist.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Christmas definitely exists I’ve been there.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The "no win" scenario

My stepdaughter wants to wear thong underwear and my wife is upset I took her side

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

selec posted:

Raisins are really good in a lot of things. stuffing, chicken salads (grapes too), chutney, tons of savory dishes have them

Rigatoni with raisins and pine nuts might be my favorite pasta dishes of all time.

Bruceski posted:

Some folks will bend over backwards to be accommodating of any need except "I need you to accept that I don't want you to do anything."

I think a lot of people (probably mostly unconsciously) take this either as an insult ("don't give me anything because I don't care about you"), a loaded request ("don't give me anything so you can be the rear end in a top hat who didn't give me anything"), or the special extra hosed-up "I told you not to and you didn't ignore my request and do it anyways which proves you don't actually care about me" trap. The mind games are real!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for telling our landlord about his daughter’s plans?

quote:

I live in an apartment with two other people, one of which is the daughter of the landlord, let’s say Hannah.

She is moving to another apartment the is closer to her university the first of may. The landlord already has another tenant that will move in the first of may, that we already met and who we like. So far no problems.

I had a conversation with Hannah this weekend and she told me she is planning to take most of the furniture in the living room and most kitchen stuff with her, including the tv, couch, plates & cutlery and kitchen appliances. I didn’t ask of say anything then and maybe I should’ve.

The thing is that my other roommate and I pay a little more rent for an apartment with “fully furnished living room and kitchen” this is on paper in the rental agreement.

So yesterday I emailed our landlord and politely asked what his ideas are about the furniture, if he would replace things, if we should do it ourself but we would be compensated, or rent lowered and just generally what would happen.

Today Hannah came up to me very angry because “I went behind her back and tattled on her” to her dad. Apparently her dad forbade her from taking the stuff she wanted to. Now she could only take the stuff from her bedroom and a couple of small things from the living room/kitchen.

She is mad I didn’t talk to her because “I went behind her back”, “we could’ve come to an agreement” and “I ruined her move because she couldn’t afford a lot of furniture”.

I feel like I maybe should’ve talked to her but I mostly feel like I have an agreement with the landlord (her dad) and not with her and I didn’t want to be involved in their business.

But AITA and should I have done things different?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

lol "you went behind my back and ruined my plan to steal all the things that you pay for"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kurieg posted:

I wonder who was gonna help her carry all that poo poo out lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

If the daughter was going to steal the furniture, which I'm imagining is pretty junky anyway, because she can't afford to buy her own, how exactly were they going to "come to an agreement"?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

mystes posted:

If the daughter was going to steal the furniture, which I'm imagining is pretty junky anyway, because she can't afford to buy her own, how exactly were they going to "come to an agreement"?

If it's anything like my college roommate, just steal all the poo poo and bounce forcing them/her dad to buy it all again.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I cannot get down with cooked raisins. Cooking (or baking) them changed the flavor and I really don't like it.

Dried cranberries in banana bread are the way to go.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was prepared for the landlord to take his daughter's side and tell OP to pay the same rent and buy their own furniture. If you're one of two tenants and the other one is the landlord's kid, you're the only tenant. Anyway,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcnSoKZ7k_I

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Here's another angle on accepting the banana bread you don't actually want or like: now what happens next time she brings you a banana bread? Because banana bread people never just make one and call it quits. There's always gonna be more. How long does he keep accepting banana bread he doesn't want? And if he confesses his dislike down the line, then it's a WHY ARE YOU JUST TELLING ME THIS NOW? scene. Best to just nip that poo poo in the bud.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Filox posted:

I cannot get down with cooked raisins. Cooking (or baking) them changed the flavor and I really don't like it.

Dried cranberries in banana bread are the way to go.

I can see that. It's what I grew up with so I'm used to it, raisins are often my non-raw-sugar sweetener of choice.

Cranberries though? Mmmmmm, I need to make cranberry muffins next week.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Kurieg posted:

OP did come to an agreement though, the rental agreement that specifies where the furniture goes.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

somebody tried to offer me banana bread at work last week and i said NO

i'm not that reddit poster though, the person didn't care that i said no because why would they, they just offer it to some other coworkers

WIBTA for bowing out of being a bridesmaid because the fiancé (my ex) still hates me?

quote:

I fully understand I might be totally overreacting to this situation so please cut me some slack.

My friend Stacy has recently got engaged to her fiancé Jeremy. Jeremy and I used to date. We dated for about a year during a pretty weird period in my life and I wasn’t a good girlfriend to him, I admit that. We broke up, and six months later he messaged Stacy. I was totally fine with this, I knew Stacy had liked him a lot when we were dating and they made more sense than he and I ever did.

The problem is, Jeremy still carries a lot of resentment over our relationship. When I met a couple of his friends at a dinner party he and Stacy threw, they referred to me as “the heartbreaker” and said they’d “heard all about” me. They continue to make comments about it every time I see them. Jeremy will sometimes randomly bring up the fact that we dated, and the fact that I am now dating someone I knew while we were dating. They’re always jokes and I don’t take offence but I don’t know why he is so insistent on every mutual acquaintance knowing that I was a bitch to him back then.

So, Stacy has asked me to be a bridesmaid and I feel weird about it. It’s bridesmaid, but her MOH is Jeremy’s teenage sister so we as bridesmaids will be taking on a lot of tasks that traditionally a MOH would do. It’s not about her marrying my ex, it’s that she’s marrying a guy who seems to still have a lot of resentment towards me. And maybe this shouldn’t matter because I’m standing on her side not his but it just feels awkward. Especially as they’re planning a joint bachelor/bachelorette trip away with all the bridesmaids and groomsmen.

My boyfriend says I’m making too big a deal out of Jeremy being bitter and that if anything me being a bridesmaid is comeuppance for his attitude. But I don’t think I’ll enjoy the experience.

I don’t want to bother Stacy with my feelings if I’m just going to say yes anyway, so I’m trying to figure out if I’m making too big of a deal about it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Hellblazer187 posted:

lol "you went behind my back and ruined my plan to steal all the things that you pay for"

lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mx. posted:

i'm not that reddit poster though, the person didn't care that i said no because why would they, they just offer it to some other coworkers

The actual pro move is to silently maintain eye contact with the banana bread decliner, while stuffing more and more of the loaf into your mouth until it's gone or you choke and pass out

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mx. posted:

somebody tried to offer me banana bread at work last week and i said NO

How could you? They spent 20 hours making that banana bread!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I dry age my banana bread in the cold cellar for at least 3 months.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My go-bag is filled entirely with banana bread AITA?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
AITA for refusing to help my sister out when I'm the only person in our family she lives close to and she has children?

quote:

I (31f) have not spoken to my sister in 10 years after she had an affair with my ex. I was with my ex from the age of 15 until we were 20. My sister was 19 at the time and the affair had been ongoing. Most likely they started the affair not that long after my sister turned 18. My ex was the same age as me. My ex proposed to me while we were together, my sister was "helping" with that and encouraging me to marry him before he proposed. This was so he would be around and they could keep sleeping together. We got engaged and a few months later my sister told me I couldn't marry him because she was pregnant with his child. She tried to salvage a relationship with me and asked me to understand and not be mad at her. I told her she was disgusting and I would never forgive her. I also told our parents what she had done.

I saw my sister once after her first child was born, a year or so after I had learned about the affair. She told me she missed me and she wanted her daughter to know her aunt. She tried her best to get me to at least agree to a relationship with her daughter but I told her it was not possible and I was still not going to forgive her and I told her not to talk to me again.

My parents and extended family also stopped talking to her when she started dating him for real and they only resumed contact after they broke up. They then supported her because of the kids. My parents couldn't bring themselves to turn their backs on their grandkids or to sever the relationship forever. I was fine with it because I do understand. But her having kids was not an incentive for me to repair things.

I'm now happily married and a mom myself.

A few weeks ago my parents called and told me that my sister has been living 20 minutes from me for the last two years. They know I don't want to talk about her so until this point they had not. She moved out of state for a job and then she lost the job and her landlord had told her she needed to be out in 60 days because he was repurposing the house. Without her original job and with no support network here she had turned to them. She didn't want to pull her kids away from the place they were used to now and so my parents decided I should be the one to help. They told me if I could help her by putting her in touch with people for a job and maybe another rental it would be so amazing. They wanted me to step in before the 60 days was up. I refused to help and told them I will never do a single thing for her again. They pleaded with me to reconsider and told me to think of the kids. They asked me if I really hated my sister that much and I said yes. I told her it would be bad enough to be the affair partner, but to encourage me to get engaged and help him plan it while they were cheating behind my back was such a low thing to do. I said the fact she stayed long enough to have another child with him also showed how little she really cared about me.

They told me to be a better person than this.
As always, "be the better person" translates to "it would help us a lot if you would be an uncomplaining doormat"

Parents can send the sister a greyhound ticket so she can move back home; OP has nothing to do with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

b-b-but the kids are used to it