Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Sometimes "concern trolling" can be real but it is basically just an accusation that someone is talking in bad faith, which basically always derails any further discussion.

ya its a refusal to engage with whats being said by implying that the real problem is anyone saying anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Pablo Nergigante posted:

God of War 2018 was such dogshit lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
fondly remember the goon hating on Elden Ring because it doesn't tell you where to go when there is a glowing golden trail leading you to the major destination

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Endorph posted:

cant you just include a button to press that points an arrow where you need to go

people can press it or not press it
problem solved

fwankly i think a combo of not underestimating the player + more care over level/world desing bcos you arent thinking about falling back on metagame cues to direct people is a better option. but failing that the little line that moves in the direction you have to go and is obstacle aware is the clearest directional indicator

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

pentyne posted:

fondly remember the goon hating on Elden Ring because it doesn't tell you where to go when there is a glowing golden trail leading you to the major destination

This is why goons need to touch grace

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

stux spends all day rubbing his rear end on every surface

doomguy UGHN

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
resetera getting furious at a woman gamer who beat Elden Ring with her feet, claiming she was mocking disabled people

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

pentyne posted:

all the er stuff was cool bcos in reality its just doing what games used to do to direct the player and it made people lose their minds lol

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Make em say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJjnv_4zEBs na na na na

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Stux posted:

this actually is hella stupid the more i think about it lol, the last part about challenging vs time consuming. often it overlaps a lot. a lot of challenging things by their nature take time to learn, or the challenge can be the difficulty of doing something well for a sustained period of time. some people just want shortcuts or prefer much sharper forms of difficulty which is completely acceptable and fine but talking about it like this like ppl who enjoy things that take a long time to learn and overcome are actually just liars and stupid and no one could genuinely want the thing i dont want is really annoying. thanks

i dont want to go into a big tangent on this, but i think it just comes down to the type of game your designing.

while i personally don't much care for breath of the wild, the freedom to climb any surface ever allows for the player to get to places however they please. no real need of signposting the only one path.

but then if you had an open world game and ask a person to climb a mountain but they cant free climb and there's only one narrow spot where a button prompt appears to climb, that loving sucks if theres no signposting - hence why devs fall back to the yellow paint

im all for challenge in navigation and puzzles and all that poo poo but finding the single spot where a "climb mountain" button prompt shows up isnt some challenge for the player to solve it is just a waste of time

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

pentyne posted:

resetera getting furious at a woman gamer who beat Elden Ring with her feet, claiming she was mocking disabled people

She was and we applaud her for doing so.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What if you love yellow paint but hate disabled gamers...?

yellow paint can be used to write words that disabled gamers hate onto cliffsides

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Pablo Nergigante posted:

She was and we applaud her for doing so.

simple as

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Mordiceius posted:

i dont want to go into a big tangent on this, but i think it just comes down to the type of game your designing.

while i personally don't much care for breath of the wild, the freedom to climb any surface ever allows for the player to get to places however they please. no real need of signposting the only one path.

but then if you had an open world game and ask a person to climb a mountain but they cant free climb and there's only one narrow spot where a button prompt appears to climb, that loving sucks if theres no signposting - hence why devs fall back to the yellow paint

im all for challenge in navigation and puzzles and all that poo poo but finding the single spot where a "climb mountain" button prompt shows up isnt some challenge for the player to solve it is just a waste of time

no one is saying no signposting its just that there are ways to do that without a literal signpost. but also i was more responding the last part of the post.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Pablo Nergigante posted:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Plant MONSTER. posted:

make the whole game all yellow

call of duty black ops coldplay

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
but also even that can be fun in the right game. poking around levels in deus ex to find vents or other backdoors to locations is fun, and that game liked to do anti-signposting and hide them behind crates and stuff lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think there's a weird midpoint where designers don't like explicit tutorialization which is why you get practices where the game tries to kinda hide tutorials under diagetic poo poo and that can feel strangely condescending

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

pentyne posted:

Yeah I prefer Xenoblade 1 and 2s system of look for an objective for 30 minutes and then give up and hope the quest isn’t important.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
gently caress yeah! I beat my first world boss in Remnant 2 on Hardcore/Nightmare difficulty 100% solo and got my crazy account-bound status effect ring.
Winning combo was Handler as primary archetype and Medic as secondary. Whoever recommended Handler, thanks. The dog can stay alive long enough to draw aggro and get some distance between me and big enemies which was the deciding factor in one of the 3 boss fights I had to complete. I even had to fight one of the more annoying Yaesha bosses that I probably would have rerolled if I hadn't encountered it near the end of the level.

Now I can finally put my crazy Archon/Ritualist DoT build together.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

make the whole game all yellow

*nods* deus ex human revolution

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Many people are thinking this but few have the guts to say it

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Saw this posted on reddit lol

how many times in the TDI-iverse do people post on the wrong accounts? why is every person he invents living under the same roof? do they all take turns on the family computer in the living room?

i have only ever once in my life posted something on a friend’s account, intentionally, as an obvious joke. i cannot fathom the amount of times his family has done it accidentally.

this is ignoring why would his dead gay daughter’s girlfriend give a poo poo about his discord channel anyway!!!!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

yellow paint can be used to write words that disabled gamers hate onto cliffsides

ALOY: This one's tough. If only my player wasn't a little qq skill issue bitch.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Am I misremembering or was it well received at launch? Did luster fall off fast, or was it just poo poo

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
the moment in gaming when i realized the occasional signpost may be something i desire

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

he needed to invent a new character to take the heat as all of the other characters are cool protagonists and heroes, op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mordiceius posted:

the moment in gaming when i realized the occasional signpost may be something i desire

Have you tried equipping the "skill" materia

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Am I misremembering or was it well received at launch? Did luster fall off fast, or was it just poo poo

lots of people liked it, and ragnarok. they're wrong

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That DICK! posted:

lots of people liked it, and ragnarok. they're wrong

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

I'm sorry this is where you got permanently stuck and unable to complete the original FF7. Game gets real good after this part.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

TheMightyBoops posted:

Yeah I prefer Xenoblade 1 and 2s system of look for an objective for 30 minutes and then give up and hope the quest isn’t important.

lol gently caress, you just unlocked a memory for me

I 100% completed Xenoblade 1, all sidequests, max affinities, etc. On the drat 3ds version

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's almost as hosed up and impossible a challenge as, the first freaking door, in fallout 2

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Stux posted:

no one is saying no signposting its just that there are ways to do that without a literal signpost. but also i was more responding the last part of the post.

yeah absolutely fair.

side note - its also wild when you encounter someone who has zero sense of direction even with signposting. i have a buddy who will literally walk from one room into another in a game, spin the camera around and then get confused about which direction they came from. they can do fights and solve puzzles and such but ask them to backtrack or navigate from point a to point b and theyre completely useless. you might as well have asked them to solve quantum physics

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think there's a weird midpoint where designers don't like explicit tutorialization which is why you get practices where the game tries to kinda hide tutorials under diagetic poo poo and that can feel strangely condescending

i wish aaa game designers would unlearn putting step by step tutorials in every game. just let me skip all tutorials, like in cyberpunk 2077. get me to the action you fucks!!!!!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Have you tried equipping the "skill" materia

sorry my materia slots are full with the "shitposting" and "navel-gazing" materias

Note Block posted:

I'm sorry this is where you got permanently stuck and unable to complete the original FF7. Game gets real good after this part.

ff8 is better

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol gently caress, you just unlocked a memory for me

I 100% completed Xenoblade 1, all sidequests, max affinities, etc. On the drat 3ds version

Lol drat dude

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i love xenoblade 2, it's one of my favorite games but it's also one of those games that has so many systems and they try to keep it manageable by drip-feeding them to you over like the first 30 hours of the game, which makes replays a bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
its 2024 i know that i need to tilt the stick to move