Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Snapshot posted:

My ‘14 FRS is pretty well set up; nothing on the steering wheel, but everything that matters is a physical knob/button that’s distinguishable by touch within easy reach of the driver.

A wonderful job was done to give that car such a functional interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Full Collapse posted:

A wonderful job was done to give that car such a functional interior.

Yeah, my biggest beef is that if I put in a CarPlay head unit, most have lovely ergonomics, and it’ll be worse for changing volume/track while moving.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Door Frame posted:

It's not a coincidence that Tesla won't attempt to manufacture a car with physical controls. It's added manufacturing costs, adding a layer of complexity, and another possible failure point that could be avoided by putting everything in a central computer that can fix any problems post launch

It hardly takes any additional effort to get right. The stereo buttons and knobs are inputs to the infotainment computer. The HVAC buttons and knobs are inputs to the climate control computer. The beautiful thing is, it's modular. You're not going to brick the HVAC system by pushing a bad update to the stereo (one hopes).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Safety Dance posted:

I just read that Euro NCAP is going to start deducting points if certain controls aren't physical buttons. Based on the article, I don't think it goes far enough.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/

Good god; it's about time.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Safety Dance posted:

It hardly takes any additional effort to get right. The stereo buttons and knobs are inputs to the infotainment computer. The HVAC buttons and knobs are inputs to the climate control computer. The beautiful thing is, it's modular. You're not going to brick the HVAC system by pushing a bad update to the stereo (one hopes).

It's not modular when all of the controls are located on a touch screen. If the screen isn't responding, the all of the systems it controls are also no longer responding. The radio dying might actually mean that you don't have HVAC controls or navigation if it messes with the use of the screen

It's not particularly difficult to keep physical controls alongside giant screens, it's just a design constraint and added manufacturing costs that someone lazy and greedy would axe immediately to make producing an interior cheaper and easier. Added onto that benefit is that the the software only control is theoretically a one time cost that can be reskinned to hide the parts bin problem, and quickly the financial incentives to remove physical controls just keep building up until a company like Tesla decides to not even use them

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Snapshot posted:

Yeah, my biggest beef is that if I put in a CarPlay head unit, most have lovely ergonomics, and it’ll be worse for changing volume/track while moving.

I like my Kenwood a lot. They make head units with physical buttons, though I got a cheaper one with capacitive buttons since I use the steering wheel buttons out of habit.

Buttons.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Door Frame posted:

It's not modular when all of the controls are located on a touch screen. If the screen isn't responding, the all of the systems it controls are also no longer responding. The radio dying might actually mean that you don't have HVAC controls or navigation if it messes with the use of the screen

It's not particularly difficult to keep physical controls alongside giant screens, it's just a design constraint and added manufacturing costs that someone lazy and greedy would axe immediately to make producing an interior cheaper and easier. Added onto that benefit is that the the software only control is theoretically a one time cost that can be reskinned to hide the parts bin problem, and quickly the financial incentives to remove physical controls just keep building up until a company like Tesla decides to not even use them

Yes, I think we agree

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Full Collapse posted:

I like my Kenwood a lot. They make head units with physical buttons, though I got a cheaper one with capacitive buttons since I use the steering wheel buttons out of habit.

Buttons.

Back in the olden days Sony used to do a stubby stalk type remote thing which you could stick to the steering column - great for cars which didn't have steering wheel controls

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Imperador do Brasil posted:

For my specific body, any Miata/S2000 is perfect. I’m of an average height and build and everything falls to hand and foot perfectly.

The S2000 has the added bonus of all the controls being mounted around the cluster at fingertip length from the steering wheel, and a high trans tunnel/low seat so the shifter also falls neatly to hand.
Also perfectly happy with my NB Miata. I'm short-ish for a European but exactly the average height of a Japanese man so we were made for each other.

Everything is in the right place, it has all I ever wanted other than maybe cooled/ventilated seats (I'd bet I could hack that in if I really wanted) and overall really it holds up surprisingly well. Even most materials are pretty nice and pleasant to the touch.

My shitbox Fit has everything easily accessible and clear, though it does feel cheap because it was a cheap-ish econobox.

(not my photo)

I think a lot of the 90s cars will score pretty highly here.

Agent Smith was right, 1999 was the peak of our civilization.

dissss posted:

Back in the olden days Sony used to do a stubby stalk type remote thing which you could stick to the steering column - great for cars which didn't have steering wheel controls
You can get BT remotes to attach to the steering wheel or dashboard, I was going to get one for my Android head unit thing but never got around to ordering one from aliexpress.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Blessed were the 1990s and their TV inspired remotes for car stereos.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

dissss posted:

I have never flashed back to being a kid reading Crutchfield mags so hard before - thx!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

amenenema posted:

I have never flashed back to being a kid reading Crutchfield mags so hard before - thx!

i don't think i ever once bought anything from them but goddamn did i love perusing their catalog

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Large Testicles posted:

i don't think i ever once bought anything from them but goddamn did i love perusing their catalog

My brother bought one of those bazooka base tube things for his Grand Cherokee. Due to some crazy factory stereo setup it was drat near impossible to get it setup and someone from Crutchfield spent probably 4 hours on the phone with him sorting it out (including calling Chrysler if memory serves since this was too early for every wiring diagram to be available on the internet).

Crutchfield rules.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This thing was from quebec and probably hasn't been washed since it left.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

amenenema posted:

My brother bought one of those bazooka base tube things for his Grand Cherokee. Due to some crazy factory stereo setup it was drat near impossible to get it setup and someone from Crutchfield spent probably 4 hours on the phone with him sorting it out (including calling Chrysler if memory serves since this was too early for every wiring diagram to be available on the internet).

Crutchfield rules.

Ironically, the Bazooka demo vehicle was a YJ Wrangler in the ‘90s.

I had a Sony deck with the almost 180-degree rotating face and one of the stick remotes mounted on the console in my RX-7. That way I didn’t have to open the face (the ribbon cable liked to wear out with use, and the full-face LCD display was way cooler than the inside with the buttons.

Crutchfield is indeed awesome. Bought my first Pioneer deck from them - KE-3232 if I recall correctly. Digital tuner and auto reverse cassette deck, in 1988 or so.

I currently have an add-on steering wheel remote for my Atoto head unit. It wires into the provisions for factory steering wheel controls. Pretty handy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I think a lot of the 90s cars will score pretty highly here.

I learned about touchscreens very early on when the nav/climate system in my Japanese import 1999 Nissan Avenir wagon died

Fortunately the physical buttons on the right hand side still worked so I could control temperature and demist but the other controls were on the touch portion and couldn't be accessed at all, and while I could adjust the temperature I couldn't see what it was currently set to.

The same car also had a flip down face for the separate single din head unit and of course the ribbon cable eventually wore out.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Darchangel posted:

Ironically, the Bazooka demo vehicle was a YJ Wrangler in the ‘90s.

I had a Sony deck with the almost 180-degree rotating face and one of the stick remotes mounted on the console in my RX-7. That way I didn’t have to open the face (the ribbon cable liked to wear out with use, and the full-face LCD display was way cooler than the inside with the buttons.

Crutchfield is indeed awesome. Bought my first Pioneer deck from them - KE-3232 if I recall correctly. Digital tuner and auto reverse cassette deck, in 1988 or so.

I currently have an add-on steering wheel remote for my Atoto head unit. It wires into the provisions for factory steering wheel controls. Pretty handy.

I have a post somewhere in archives, where I adapted a JVC removable-face CD unit to work in my Pontiac without cutting the dash by remoting the control head with an IDE cable.

Mostly because it's a 1994 radio, so it's all tactile.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

dissss posted:

My mother's 2016 Fit has (or had, it's since been replaced) crummy Android head unit with a capacitive volume slider and separate but capacitive climate controls.

AHHHHHHH

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powershift posted:

This thing was from quebec and probably hasn't been washed since it left.

That guy is an info warrior. He doesn't need to wash his car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK so question for the thread, what's the most ergonomically 'right' interior you've been in?

E36

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

In RHD markets BMW fails because like all European manufacturers they never bothered to move the indicator stalk to the correct side of the column.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK so question for the thread, what's the most ergonomically 'right' interior you've been in?

I don't know if it's the best, but the Pontiac Solstice GXP really stands out in my mind as one that feels right

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
1983 Cadillac Sedan de Ville.

Velvet couches all around, seats 6 comfortably, everyone has a cupholder for their Tanqueray sparkling apple juice, and there's even lighters and ashtrays in the backseat.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

https://i.imgur.com/MIy7ki5.mp4

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There are so many individual bits of sheer stupidity on display that it's kind of breathtaking.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And people said the ford keypads were useless.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Best interface:

Cadillac Allante

Honorable mentions to those Buick Reattas with early digital touchscreens, and the '80s Subaru XT.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Number_6 posted:

Best interface:

Cadillac Allante

Honorable mentions to those Buick Reattas with early digital touchscreens, and the '80s Subaru XT.

I dunno why, but the entire Allante interior really tickles my good place, but especially this panel. It just looks like it would be so... Satisfying to use.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://x.com/StrictlyChristo/status/1765154712452816998?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Whales get themselves stuck on the beach when they want to die…

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Let’s bring my massively heavy and very torquey “truck” onto the sand it’ll be fine

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

Let’s bring my massively heavy and very torquey “truck” onto the sand it’ll be fine

It is built like a Jawa Sandcrawler, I can see the confusion

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Should have copied the lowrider suspension from Mercedes. A major design oversight.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm sure the off-road capabilities are going to be released in the next software update. Just park it on the beach until then. And we'll get to see how fast it gets to deteriorate from the salt. It's a win win

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Snapshot posted:

My ‘14 FRS is pretty well set up; nothing on the steering wheel, but everything that matters is a physical knob/button that’s distinguishable by touch within easy reach of the driver.

Same with my BRZ, but not having steering wheel controls is serious bullshit. My 03 Legacy had steering wheel controls, a car made 12 years later should be able to do the same. (at least they finally added them in for the 17 model year)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrox posted:

I'm sure the off-road capabilities are going to be released in the next software update. Just park it on the beach until then. And we'll get to see how fast it gets to deteriorate from the salt. It's a win win

Not sure if you're referring specifically to this or just correctly understanding how the Cybershit works....

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

Not sure if you're referring specifically to this or just correctly understanding how the Cybershit works....

:eyepop:

the whole tech culture of releasing poo poo that doesn't work right needs to stop but people are dumb and will continue to buy because they need to own the new thing.

"just get it out the door, we can do updates later" *months pass and the product still sucks* just like Fisker's current nightmare with the Ocean.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

:eyepop:

the whole tech culture of releasing poo poo that doesn't work right needs to stop but people are dumb and will continue to buy because they need to own the new thing.

"just get it out the door, we can do updates later" *months pass and the product still sucks* just like Fisker's current nightmare with the Ocean.

A minimum viable product is still technically a viable product

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

The Door Frame posted:

A minimum viable product is still technically a viable product

if you're a sucker, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Number_6 posted:

Best interface:

Cadillac Allante

Even these old touchscreens are preferable to current interfaces just because the elements didn't move around.

Sub-menus are the enemy. Swiping is the enemy.