Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

victrix posted:

oh it's the inverse that's hurting me, you absolutely should use the cutest and coolest characters

it's the thought of the word meta anywhere in proximity to a single player game that's murdering me

Lots of single player mobile games have a meta.

Plenty of elaborate strategy games too like Etrian Odyssey where there’s objectively better setups and you can’t just do what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Skill Issue

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh yeah then I agree wholeheartedly

And actually after I posted that I was trying to think of examples and couldn't come up with many. I think it might be slightly more common that the most interesting/unique characters sometimes are designed in ways that make them less optimal to use, and the only example I could think of off the top of my head is Kimahri in FFX and Fran in FFXII, but I also might be the only person in the world who likes Kimahri

I will keep Alice in my SMT games till endgame.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GateOfD posted:

Plenty of elaborate strategy games too like Etrian Odyssey where there’s objectively better setups and you can’t just do what you want.
i do what i want in etrian odyssey, and i refuse to adapt, until i headbutt the roadblocks enough to break through

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

JuniperCake posted:

And at least 4 playthroughs if you want to get all the PAs, interactions/endings that are possible too.

Didn't FF9 have something similar to Private Actions, or whatever it's called you're referring to here? I definitely recall the sfx jingle that played when there was one available. Was SO2 the first game to do that sort of thing?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ofecks posted:

Didn't FF9 have something similar to Private Actions, or whatever it's called you're referring to here? I definitely recall the sfx jingle that played when there was one available. Was SO2 the first game to do that sort of thing?

Pretty sure the first star ocean on SNES had Private actions too? But it's been a while so I might just be thinking of the remakes. I have to imagine some other game has had them before though but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

you can absolutely do what you want in etrian odyssey

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You can do what you want, but it's true that some of the classes are more equal than others. You can absolutely make Yggdroids work as part of your team in 3, but there's a reason everything always says Shogun are the stronger option, and it's not because the internet hates robots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even in online games meta isn't "legally barred", it just means playing outside of it is considered suboptimal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

You can do what you want, but it's true that some of the classes are more equal than others. You can absolutely make Yggdroids work as part of your team in 3, but there's a reason everything always says Shogun are the stronger option, and it's not because the internet hates robots.
sure but

and

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't worry about what guides say is the most powerful party build, i just experiment and have fun

i think the only times where it really matters is bosses, particularly in EO V, but luckily if you want to bring a new party member in to experiment with a different class, they level up really quickly

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Most RPGs are easy in the sense that you can play very poorly relative to the optimal stuff and it won't affect your ability to beat the game. Maybe your enjoyment though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think if you're the kind of person who is obsessed with character minmaxing and optimization then finding that out is going to be part of the fun of the game anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think if you're the kind of person who is obsessed with character minmaxing and optimization then finding that out is going to be part of the fun of the game anyway

Weirdly I've found that doesn't really hold up. I've found a lot of the people who really get into minmaxing and optimizing don't really tie it to figuring out themselves and will look up guides/tutorial/etc on how to minmax most effectively. There's a pretty vocal group of people who mixnmax based off guides and such and then complain about the game being too easy because it's designed around people figuring things out themselves.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Think you missed the word 'original' in there
:confuoot: oops

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Everyone should use the characters/classes/strategies they like and for some people that is whatever is mechanically the strongest.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WrightOfWay posted:

Everyone should use the characters/classes/strategies they like and for some people that is whatever is mechanically the strongest.

preferably they should play bad builds that they enjoy, when I get matched against them in a tournament

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
My dream is to win EVO as Dan

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

preferably they should play bad builds that they enjoy, when I get matched against them in a tournament

The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him; he does the thing he ought not to do; and often it catches the expert out and ends him on the spot.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

nice fantasy, im gonna use the guys that are good though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i remember that post about how you should use the pokemon that are your favorites and someone replied with something like "my favorite pokemon are volcarona, toxapex, blissey and landorous-t"

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

don't worry, i'm sure your team of 6 luvdiscs will beat my team of ubers if you believe in yourself enough

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
characters are just functions

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kirbysuperstar posted:

characters are just functions

you oval office, your function is bad opinons like this!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i remember that post about how you should use the pokemon that are your favorites and someone replied with something like "my favorite pokemon are volcarona, toxapex, blissey and landorous-t"

I do love Weavile because it's the little ice type that could though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

No Dignity posted:

I do love Weavile because it's the little ice type that could though

i think dragonite is my favorite "big cuddly dude" who is somehow great in every single game

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Porygon2

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

ImpAtom posted:

Weirdly I've found that doesn't really hold up. I've found a lot of the people who really get into minmaxing and optimizing don't really tie it to figuring out themselves and will look up guides/tutorial/etc on how to minmax most effectively. There's a pretty vocal group of people who mixnmax based off guides and such and then complain about the game being too easy because it's designed around people figuring things out themselves.

This is a problem that World of Warcraft and Minecraft created. As soon as Thottbot came out for WoW I was like "This is going to ruin the game" but I didn't realize it would ruin all of the games, forever. People have always used guides and had a sense that some strategies were better than others, but pre-2004, you weren't consulting wikis for every single decision in even a single-player game.

What's worse is that some games now expect you to build for a meta and some expect you to just go in blind and have fun, and it's not always possible to tell which it is.

And Smeargle is the best pokemon. He can learn all the moves!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zokari posted:

don't worry, i'm sure your team of 6 luvdiscs will beat my team of ubers if you believe in yourself enough

There are people who do nothing but make gimmick builds to destroy uber teams because deploying 6 Mewtwos don't mean poo poo if you don't actually know what you're doing, while even weak Pokemon can do well if you understand the mechanics. A lot of people don't really get the mechanics, they just follow the meta builds, which in turn can make it entirely possible to wreck their poo poo with weaker Pokemon.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
thats just saying "if you are bad at the game then you will get beaten" which is kind of trivial for most competitive games

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think dragonite is my favorite "big cuddly dude" who is somehow great in every single game

Snorlax is the goated Just A Guy But Also Actually Good even if I'm not sure how well it holds up nowadays.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

thats just saying "if you are bad at the game then you will get beaten" which is kind of trivial for most competitive games

Yes? That's the entire point of this discussion? The meta does not mean you win. It does not mean you are good at the game. It does not even necessarily mean the people who made the meta you are following are good at the game. There's plenty of games where the current meta is not actually an ideal one, just one people absolutely stuck to because nobody actually bothered to question it. (See: like 85% of the Fire Emblem discussion in the years 2003 to 2015 or so.)

You can play outside of the meta and do great and you might even do better outside the meta than you do in it depending on things. (Like a fighting game character you like will probably do you better than whoever the Top S Rank Tier character is unless than character is a Labcoat 21.)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've heard chrono cross remastered has some performance issues, can anyone give me the rundown on that?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ImpAtom posted:

Yes? That's the entire point of this discussion? The meta does not mean you win. It does not mean you are good at the game. It does not even necessarily mean the people who made the meta you are following are good at the game. There's plenty of games where the current meta is not actually an ideal one, just one people absolutely stuck to because nobody actually bothered to question it. (See: like 85% of the Fire Emblem discussion in the years 2003 to 2015 or so.)

i dont think that was the entire point of the discussion, i think the entire point was some people making up a guy to be mad at

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Nihilarian posted:

I've heard chrono cross remastered has some performance issues, can anyone give me the rundown on that?

When you boot up the game, it runs Chrono Cross, which is an issue that Square Enix has refused to address. :grin:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

worm girl posted:

When you boot up the game, it runs Chrono Cross, which is an issue that Square Enix has refused to address.
as i understand it you can actually run radical dreamers instead

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Nihilarian posted:

They actually patched it a year after release or something, I think it’s supposed to be good now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Countblanc posted:

i dont think that was the entire point of the discussion, i think the entire point was some people making up a guy to be mad at

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I absolutely feel like I'm missing something where people were angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am mad. I am melting down.